What's the Catch?

jodisue

I keep seeing banner ads on Cruise Critic for Oceania about 2 for 1 fares and free airfare. I'd love to try Oceania, but until recently I've thought it was out of my budget. I can't seem to find enough details on their site to figure out what the real deal is with 2 for 1 fares and free airfare...surely there must be some catch to it?

Thanks for any help!

--Jodi

Not sure what it is you are looking for, or what kind of catch you are leery of.

We did a two for one with free air last year, Oceania's Regatta, into the Baltic, and it was relatively straight-forward and hitchless.

We have signed up again, 2for1, free air, Oceania's Nautica, 11-06, Istanbul to Singapore, via the Suez.

We have been satisfied both times with the price, etc.

The way my TA explained it to me...

Using smaller ships, Oceania uses a different market strategy.

First they offer 2 for 1 pricing for a limited amount of time. The price per fare is as published in the brochure. No sneaky stuff here. It's 2 for 1!

After the limited time, the fare is per person and is a percentage of the full fare. After another interval, the fare is full brochure price. But of course by that time, the ship is fully subscribed and there is a waiting list. Unlike other lines, they do not have last minute sales to fill empty cabins...there aren't any empty cabins. They know the ship is full and don't need contingency plans for empty cabins.

Because they book so many seats on airlines, Oceania gets price breaks from the carriers. They take their cut and pass the savings on to the customers. Of course, unless you pay the deviation fee, you have to take the carriers and flight times they provide. But booking early to take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal and paying the deviation fee gets you better flight options. By booking flight thru Oceania, if there's a problem with the flight, Oceania has to get alternative transport to get you to the ship on time. Opting to arrange your own flight, does not always provide that protection tho it might provide you with better class of service, seat or flight time.

The key here to take advantage of the 2 for 1 sale is to book early or book with a TA whose company buys several cabins at the 2 for 1 price then sells them to their client list even after the deadline has passed. My bride and I booked our late September '06 2 for 1 cruise Istanbul to Venice on Sept 03/05. Some Cool Cruisers on this site report that the same itinerary for Oct '07 is already nearly sold out.

I think I've got it right, Jancruz might offer correction if I'm wrong.

A little cruise purchasing experience with any line will show you that no one ever pays the "brochure" price- All lines sell their cruises with a "Price Off" and often put a date closing that offer. The date moves so that offer is always on.

O sells theirs with a 2 for one and includes air. That is the real price everyone always pays. If you do not want the air from the company- they will reduce the price further. I always buy my own air or use miles.(cheaper and more convenient)

So, look at the net price on the web site(O's site is easy to read) and compare that to others that you want to consider. Some market their price as "early savings" some as "2 for 1". It is all marketing.

No person ever pays the "brochure" price on any line.

That being said, O is a wonderful line and the rooms(particularly suites) get reserved quite quickly and you should take the 2 for 1 fare when it is available ( it always is) and enjoy your trip.

Generally O is priced as a luxury cruise(which it is) and the net fare is a little higher than mass market lines and well worth the extra you pay.

You can still get the " 2 for 1" and to tell your friends what a deal you got. Just don't tell the other passengers- as they all got it too.

I agree with the previous post. It is like purchasing jewelry or appliances. The "list" price is not the real price. The "sale" price is the real price. It may be called 2 for 1 or 50% off sale or whatever. It's not really a sale at all. And my TA chuckled about the so-called "free" air. It is not free at all. It is all built in to the extra charges. There may be "deals" on other cruise lines that are not as well-subscribed. But then they may not have the ports you want, the quality you want, etc. Caveat emptor!

Conan..you did the perfect job explaining..you have an excellent TA..if he/she explained it like that..

The interesting thing for me is this is the one cruise line that never..reduces the price close to sailing time..they dont need to..

Jan

Conan..you did the perfect job explaining..you have an excellent TA..if he/she explained it like that..

The interesting thing for me is this is the one cruise line that never..reduces the price close to sailing time..they dont need to..

Jan

Jan in what time frame do they drop the 2-1 offer on a cruise?

Is it after final payment dates, earlier or not at all?

Thanks

Jan in what time frame do they drop the 2-1 offer on a cruise?

Is it after final payment dates, earlier or not at all?

Thanks

As the ship fills up..the price goes up to an early booking price which is 40% off instead of 50% and the air credit can change also and go down..there is no special time frame..each cruise is different, revenue checks the occupancy each day and then makes the decision..

Jan

As they say, "Nothing in life is truly free" and that includes free air. Value of free air will depend on your specific location and your schedule. We live in Tucson, AZ so we are not in a serviced airport as used by Oceania and have booked a Nov. 2007 Oceania cruise.

We looked into the free air and decided that it was not for us because we are not in a direct connect airport and plan to spend extra time both before and after the cruise. With the extra charges for Tucson, deviation and a few other things I could do better with a commercial carrier given the fact that our price for an A2 cabin was reduced by $500.00 per ticket for not using the free air.

While the price for air will go up before we are within the purchase window for air reservations I still prefer our own booking given the price differential.

If we lived in a major city on the Oceania list and had no intention of deviating then the free air would be more closely looked at by us and possibly used. So free air might be better or it might not. Just depends on your circumstances.

My EASY way to explain it is this:

DISREGARD however they market it...

Just ask your TA the simple question:

"How much will it cost me?"

Disregard the "Free Air" part as well...That's also marketing...

Ask your TA to "price it" with and without air...Trust me, you will learn that the air isn't "free" (It still may be a better deal than booking your own, but there is a cost/credit involved)...

So, the price isn't what the brochure says...and there's no need to worry about what 2 for 1 means or anything else...

The price, as with most things, is whatever YOU have to pay to get it...

Yes, also as a part of marketing, Oceania will raise their prices as the cruise sells out---that's why they later shift to another marketing stance--like "40% off"...But again, if you've waited too long to get that "2 for 1" price, well, then, this is the price you'll now have to pay...

How affordable is it? How does the cost compare to Celebrity? Or HAL? Or Crystal? Or Seabourne?

Real easy: Have your TA price several different similar cruises for you...Again, don't worry about the marketing gimmicks...It is what it is...If you like what you get and the price is one you're willing to pay, book it...

Does Oceania offer the 2 for 1 and free air on ever cruise at some point? I noticed that it was being offered on the European cruises, but not on the Caribbean cruise. Or perhaps I just waited too long to book and it was not longer offered? I did not realize that every Oceania had that type of "Marketing Price" on every cruise.

As the ship fills up..the price goes up to an early booking price which is 40% off instead of 50% and the air credit can change also and go down..there is no special time frame..each cruise is different, revenue checks the occupancy each day and then makes the decision..

Jan

Thanks Jan

We had more than 100,000 frequent flyer miles to use, so we declined the "free" air.

If you do this, make sure that your credit includes not only the "free air" but the air taxes. Our credit was $800 per person for a C-2 cabin.

We recently "discovered" Oceania, poked around, and discovered the exact cruise we wanted to take, on the right size ship, and with the amenities we wanted. It was late into the booking time for that particular cruise, and the "discount" was 40% instead of 2-for-1.

I kinda figured that either (1) the discount changed over time; or (2) that particular cruise was so popular they never did offer a 2-for-1, but it didn't matter. It was the cruise I wanted at the time I wanted to take it on a ship that I think I'll like very much, so I paid the price that was quoted.

In this premium market. my impression is that Oceania's rates are decent enough that I'll get more "bang for my buck" from Oceania, even at the slightly higher rate.

We live only 2 hours driving from Miami, so didn't need the flight service, and got a credit. My only hope is that the credit is large enough to cover the parking in Miami for 26 days...:eek:

It was also "neat" to have a great phone conversation with one of the regulars on this site. Thanks, Jan.

Hey Jan, the only reason I mentioned the cabin class when I talked about the air credit was that AZTEX mentioned that they got only $500 credit and are in an A-2 cabin for a cruise in November 2007.

If all cabin classes get the same credit amount, (and our credit was for $800) perhaps it's time for AZTEX to call the travel agent and check on whether the credit for the air taxes was left out.

Or are there different air credit amounts based on the itinerary? I don't think it would hurt for AZTEX to check.

Hey Jan, the only reason I mentioned the cabin class when I talked about the air credit was that AZTEX mentioned that they got only $500 credit and are in an A-2 cabin for a cruise in November 2007.

If all cabin classes get the same credit amount, (and our credit was for $800) perhaps it's time for AZTEX to call the travel agent and check on whether the credit for the air taxes was left out.

Or are there different air credit amounts based on the itinerary? I don't think it would hurt for AZTEX to check.

Air credits are different for different itineraries..when the agent at Oceania quotes you or your TA they do not include air taxes..air taxes come off automatically if there is no air..

There are some new changes regarding air that have just been put into effect..effective as of 5/30/06

1. Any changes to air with regard to a booking must be made 60 days prior to sailing.

2. Air fare differential is now non-refundable.

3. Air add on to a booking is on request only within 30 days of sailing.

Jan

TGG, thanks for your concern - it's appreciated.

I will check with our agent to determine what procedure Oceania uses. I was under the impression that the $500.00 included the taxes but, given your input, this might not be the case.

Thanks again.

Hi Aztex,

The reason I mentioned it was because, for our upcoming cruise, someone "forgot" to include the taxes in our credit. When I mentioned that I thought the credit amount was too low, they discovered that the taxes were still included. They removed them, saving us $600.

Good luck.

Hi Aztex,

The reason I mentioned it was because, for our upcoming cruise, someone "forgot" to include the taxes in our credit. When I mentioned that I thought the credit amount was too low, they discovered that the taxes were still included. They removed them, saving us $600.

Good luck.

Thats some oversight..never seen that happen..thanks for the heads up!!!

Jan

Hi Jan,

You seem to be very knowledgeable about Oceania and Cruising in general. I believe I may have corresponded with you in the past. We are relatively seasoned travelers having made 8 Princess Cruises worldwide and one experimental Celebrity Caribbean cruise. We appreciated some of the advantages of Celebrity but definitely weren't "knocked out" by their "chilly service" prefering the Italian warmth generally found on Princess. Having said all that, we are considering trying Oceania in the not too distant future. My wife couldn't care less about the lack of Broadway or Las Vegas entertainment where I kinda enjoy it. (the girls, I guess, to be honest). She calls them "the clunk dancers". I could make do with a piano, love the string quartets, and love food, of course. The Royal Princess was our favorite "small" ship and I still mourn her trade off. What would we get from Oceania that we can't get from Princess for less? Itineraries seem similar and we rarely use ship tours preferring to arrange our own in groups of 4 to 8.

I look forward to your take on this.

Bop ;)

Hi Jan,

You seem to be very knowledgeable about Oceania and Cruising in general. I believe I may have corresponded with you in the past. We are relatively seasoned travelers having made 8 Princess Cruises worldwide and one experimental Celebrity Caribbean cruise. We appreciated some of the advantages of Celebrity but definitely weren't "knocked out" by their "chilly service" prefering the Italian warmth generally found on Princess. Having said all that, we are considering trying Oceania in the not too distant future. My wife couldn't care less about the lack of Broadway or Las Vegas entertainment where I kinda enjoy it. (the girls, I guess, to be honest). She calls them "the clunk dancers". I could make do with a piano, love the string quartets, and love food, of course. The Royal Princess was our favorite "small" ship and I still mourn her trade off. What would we get from Oceania that we can't get from Princess for less? Itineraries seem similar and we rarely use ship tours preferring to arrange our own in groups of 4 to 8.

I look forward to your take on this.

Bop ;)

Hi Bop..Tho I am very familiar with Oceania, I went to my friend Tim to add his words of wisdom on this..and this is what we decided..

"Oceania has a distinct and clear advantage in terms of itineraries – the ports they go to and the fact that they can call on many smaller boutique ports that Princess can’t with 120,000 ton mega ships.

Overall, Princess is an excellent product, but the Oceania Cruises experience is a superior one in many aspects:

Itineraries: as noted above, itineraries provide much more port time for guests to actually experience the destination. While they may seem similar, O spends much more time in port, including overnights and sail to a much wider variety of Marquee and Boutique ports.

Cuisine: While Princess’ food is very good, you simply can not compare their mass-produced banquet style dining experience with Oceania's. The meals are cooked a la minute, as you would expect in a fine restaurant. Celebrity’s food is prepared in large batches, in advance, a la banquet hall. Guests will never pay a dime extra to dine in any of Oceania's alternative restaurants. On Princess, people will pay $20+ per person. All of Oceania's culinary offerings are of the same, high caliber where as there is a big difference on Princess in the food served in the main dining room and that served in the extra-tariff specialty restaurants.

Tranquility Beds: Quite simply, the best and finest beds and linens afloat. There is a reason every other major line has copied the beds. But where as they are now smugly complacent with their so-called “new” luxury bedding, Oceania continue's to improve and upgrade theirs. Oceania just threw out over 2,000 mattresses in the past few weeks and the majority of them were less than a year old. They were all replaced with new, thicker, more luxurious and comfortable Imperial Mattresses that were custom manufactured for them.

Staterooms and Suites: Stateroom accommodations are within a few square feet of Princess’ but Oceania's have 50% more storage space, teak verandas and top quality, hand-picked furnishings.

Physical condition of the ships: all of Oceania ships are ALWAYS maintained in “like new” condition. They are dry-docked every two years and unlike Princess, Oceania does not just touch up paint and tune-up the engines. They invest a great deal of money in the ships. Over $10 million was spent outfitting Insignia in 2004 and more than $9 million on her during her latest dry-dock. FDR will not accept any degree of visible wear, tear, stains or blemishes anywhere in the ship. If a sofa gets stained, it is removed and re-upholstered. On Princess, the stained sofa would sit for two-three years until dry-dock. And at the moment, the Princess fleet ranges from “gleaming and spotless” to “slightly tattered”.

The Oceania Cruises Experience is CONSITENT! As referenced above, the Princess fleet varies. The experience on the Crown Princess could and does vary greatly from the Regal Princess or Grand Princess.

Physical size of the ships: at 30,000 tons, with fewer than 684 guests and more than 400 staff, they can provide a level of service that is quite simply impossible to do on ships that range from 2200-3600 guests.

If clients want a GOOD cruise experience, they should sail on Princess. If they want an EXTRAORDINARY experience for only a few dollars more, they should sail with Oceania.

Hope this helps!

Jan

and Tim

Archived