Possible to Switch Dining onboard?

Hey everyone, we just booked on the FOS 7/9 sailing. We have tons of family and friends already going and they are all in Late Dining and they are all cross-referenced. We weren't able to get Late Dining since we booked so late.

My parents (who are in a GS, if that matters) think that they can go to the maitre 'd once we get onboard and he could probably squeeze the two of us at their rather large table.

Is this even possible???

Thanks!

Sam

Hey everyone, we just booked on the FOS 7/9 sailing. We have tons of family and friends already going and they are all in Late Dining and they are all cross-referenced. We weren't able to get Late Dining since we booked so late.

My parents (who are in a GS, if that matters) think that they can go to the maitre 'd once we get onboard and he could probably squeeze the two of us at their rather large table.

Is this even possible???

Thanks!

Sam

Hey sam,

Anything is possible...especially with RCI and the FR. The larger your family party already is, the easier it is to add 2 chairs to the group. Visit the Dining Room Manager on Day One as noted in your Cruise Compass and explain your situation. The nicer you are...the easier it will be for them to accomodate you. I assure you they will do everything they possibly can to make it work.

Have a great cruise.

Is this even possible???

Thanks!

Sam

Just get yourself cross referenced with the group. Your dining will most likely get changed

Is this even possible???

Sam

Dang skippy (darn right in other words) you can. As stated earlier, try to get cross referenced now. Plan on going to the maitre'd just as soon as you get on board. In 12 cruises, I have asked for 6 table changes and my request was granted 6 times. Be pleasant, be firm, be with your group, and if all else fails a 10 or 20 will most likely work wonders. I have not had to resort to the later yet, but I have been prepared to do so.

We are leaving on friday and there will be 10 adults. We were wondering if the dining room in the Explorer has round tables to accommodate us. I know that the Captains table is round, but what about for the passengers? Thanks

I have had to request a change a few times when I discovered I have been assigned to a seating other than what I had requested when I booked. After a couple of experiences of trying to find the maitre 'd on embarkation day and running around not getting to enjoy the first few hours, before leaving home I now prepare a form, fill in the blank letter that I take with me on embarkation day in the event of any problems with the dining seating. The first thing I do is check my dining assignment on my card. If it needs changing, I fill in the blanks with the info of what I got and what I want. I also include the names and cabin numbers of the others I want to dine with and their seating assignment. Then I go to the dining room to track down the maitre'd. If he is not there, I leave him a copy of my letter with a request to call me in my cabin asap to confirm the change. If he is there, I still give it to him so there is no misunderstanding with what we want and who we want to be with. If I have a concierge, I give the letter to the concierge along with any special requests I have. The possible need to straighten out the dining arrangements is just one more reason to arrive early on embarkation day.

We are leaving on friday and there will be 10 adults. We were wondering if the dining room in the Explorer has round tables to accommodate us. I know that the Captains table is round, but what about for the passengers? Thanks

we had 9 at our table, it was more oval in shape (and a bit cozy with 9, good thing we were friends!); one of the tables I had breakfast at was even larger and longer. I saw everything from tables for 2 to tables for 10 (or maybe even 12)

Absolutely you can do this on the first day, and definitely do it yourself!

I am the Queen of table changes because we have to get ours changed to a table for 2 on almost every cruise. Been doing this the first day most of or cruises for about 10 years.

So, here's the procedure:

Do the cross-reference, and request to be seated with your group before the cruise to see it that works. Have your TA send an email to the Dining Coordinator, too.

Then, if it's not changed by the first day of the cruise.....

As stated before, go immediately to the dining room as soon as you get on the ship. The door is not locked, and there are always a few personnel in there. The tables have numbers that correspond with your SeaPass card.

If you aren't with your group, go to a staff person in the dining room and ask WHEN and WHERE the maitre 'd is taking table change requests.

It's almost always around 1 PM, BUT it's not always in the dining room. Sometimes it's in one of the conference rooms.

If you have time, get there early, because there are usually a lot of people making changes.

All the maitre 'd's are very cordial and nice. Explain the situation, and yes, a tip is nice, but not required. He will do his best.

Now, if he can't immediately then he will keep trying, and they will notify you in your cabin. Worst case is it may take a day or so, but I doubt it. Like the previous poster said, it's easy to add 2 chairs.

The advice on getting on the ship early and meeting with the maitre'd ASAP is really good. DD and many of SIL's family had their dining totally screwed up. They were in main seating and got a switch for 9 people into Late. They got a wonderful window table -- incredible in Alaska.

Archived