Any Glacier tour from Skagway that goes to Hubbard Glacier??

msenoch

It looks like the itinaries RCI offer is the least favorite because it doesn't go up to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. If I still go with RCI, is there any Glacier tour (in a small boat) available in Skagway that goes up to the Hubbard Glacier? And how does Hubbard Glacier different from Glacier Bay? And I would like to also hear from people who visited those area in May. How was it and which cruiseline did you use?

Thanks,

It looks like the itinaries RCI offer is the least favorite because it doesn't go up to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. If I still go with RCI, is there any Glacier tour (in a small boat) available in Skagway that goes up to the Hubbard Glacier? And how does Hubbard Glacier different from Glacier Bay? And I would like to also hear from people who visited those area in May. How was it and which cruiseline did you use?

Thanks,

From Skagway you are closer to Glacier Bay than to Hubbard Glacier. If you want to see Hubbard Glacier, Serenade of the Seas goes there on a roundtrip out of Vancouver.

It looks like you must be looking at the Vision which goes to Tracey Arm? If you are set on RCCL, maybe look at the Serenade or Radiance to visit Hubbard or if you are wanting to sail r/t Seattle check out HAL or NCL's itineararies to Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

Thanks Murray. I read your entire article. Fantastic pics! We're heading up in July and your pics made me salivate. Beautiful! FYI-I believe the ship you identified as the Sapphire Princess at the sea lion haul out is actually the Regal Princess.

FYI-I believe the ship you identified as the Sapphire Princess at the sea lion haul out is actually the Regal Princess.

I agree - excellent pics! And yes, that is the Regal Princess :)

MSENOCH - definitely pick an itinerary that has Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. If you don't, you will be missing out big time.

Thanks Murray. I read your entire article. Fantastic pics! We're heading up in July and your pics made me salivate. Beautiful! FYI-I believe the ship you identified as the Sapphire Princess at the sea lion haul out is actually the Regal Princess.

Thanks very much - for the compliment and the correction. Thanks to an unsecured wireless network somewhere near my hotel room in Fairbanks, the correction has now been made to the site :D

Murray

Thank you all for your answers! Anyone who went to see these places in May? Can you share your experience and pictures maybe? How does Hubbard Glacier is different from Glacier Bay? I am thinking about cruising at the end of May next year and I don't know if I will have a great experience at that time.

Thanks,

Thank you all for your answers! Anyone who went to see these places in May? Can you share your experience and pictures maybe? How does Hubbard Glacier is different from Glacier Bay? I am thinking about cruising at the end of May next year and I don't know if I will have a great experience at that time.

Thanks,

There are quite a few trip reviews from people back from Alaska cruises in May. Just scroll through a few pages of this board.

Hubbard Glacier is a huge tidewater glacier. Click on the link for Murray's (Yukon) photos and also the reviews of his two May cruises, one of which was on Vision: http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/4249.html

Glacier Bay is a national park with several glaciers: http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.glacier-bay.html

>> I am thinking about cruising at the end of May next year and I don't know if I will have a great experience at that time.<<

I think that's the best time to cruise Alaska (which is why that's when all 3 of mine have been in that time frame). If you don't have a great experience, it will because you went with the wrong attitude, not because the great experience wasn't offered to you.

Murray

Archived