Zuiderdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

STUFF113

Has anyone ever cruised on this ship in one of the deluxe verandah suites at the rear of the ship (e.g. verandah deck - rooms 5186 or 5187)? If so, I am curious about the following:

1. Noise level (especially when docking in the early mornings).

2. Smoothness (is it bumpier in the rear corners of the ship?).

3. Is the room as big and spacious as it looks (0ver 500+ square feet).

4. View from verandah.

5. Are there any special amenities attached to this suite (e.g. concierge service)?

6. Convenience to the ship's activities.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

:)

We have been on her sister ship - the Oosterdam.

We had a suite midships which was near the Neptune Lounge and not too far away from the 4 glass elevators (plus 3 other elevators).

You do have Neptune Lounge privileges - but the aft suites are not close to the Neptune Lounge.

From talking to people had those aft suites, the room is not 500 + square feet like those in midships. But you do have a larger verandah. A couple of them are wrap-arounds (the numbers you gave are the wrap-arounds) and the others stick out and people can view you from above.

If you have to use tenders, they are midships.

You are not handy to activities.

:)

Let me try to help and obviously these are just my opinions. We have been on the Zuiderdam three times and everytime we have had an S suite on the back of the ship. We've stayed in 7133, 5186 and 5187 and in late November we have 5187 again. As you can tell we like these cabins. As for noise its really quiet on deck 5 because very little passenger traffic. As for being bumpier than other parts of the ship I would think a little bumpier but actually I like the vibrations it reminds me we are on a ship.As for the size of 5186 and 5187 they are the biggest aft cabins at about 363 sq ft and the balcony is about another 400 sq ft. From what I 've read the side suites are slightly bigger about 395 sg ft but there balconies are quite abit smaller. The view maybe the best part you can see out the back of the ship and by having the wraparound you also get a great view of the side. No different amenities than the other S suites and those are pretty good. As for distance to other things if you like to walk its not a problem. And we very seldom use the Neptune lounge other people use it more often so they like to be closer. Mostly personal preference on so many things about cruising. Some things that are important to us aren't important to other people and vice versa. I hope this helps.

We are booked in a cat: S aft cabin on Zuiderdam for 8/28. Although we've never been on HAL we have been on two aft cabins before. We had an aft cabin on the Constellation and on Carnival Glory. While neither one of those was a "suite" they were much larger than other cabins in the same category, plus the balconies were much larger. I don't think you can beat an aft cabin for the view, the size of the balconies, and for the privacy. I try to book an aft cabin on every cruise and I've been successful the past three. You won't regret it.

To give an idea of the difference in the verandahs between a regular mid-ship S suite and one of the aft suites, here's a photo of a mid-ship "S" verandah, a comfy and private nook: (it doesn't feel as crowded as it looks in this photo, but you get the idea.)

fbddb2ba.jpg

Here's a photo taken from the back of the Lido deck by the aft pool, overlooking the aft verandahs. The large verandah on the lower right is an "S":

f80f0398.jpg

Not as much privacy, but that verandah's as big as a dance floor! HUGE!!! You'd be able to get a lot of sun there, if that's what you're after.

I noticed that they only have one lounge chair each on the cat. S balconys, I wonder if they would exchange (remove) two of the table chairs and add another lounge chair as we like to set together in the lounge chairs and look at the stars. Looks great thanks for the photo, can't wait.

Swmichigan, I have suite cabin 5187 in March on the Zuiderdam. We chose these two cabins with all the wonderful advice from these boards and your expertise with this cabin just confirmed everthing.

We have 3 girls in this cabin, with the other 2 girls I am sailing with, right next door in mini suite 5185. I am delighted to read about how you enjoy this cabin as we have chosen these two for the exact reasons you have. Now I am really excited, thanks for the info.

We have 5186 for the 7/17 Zuiderdam cruise. We were in a side S suite at Christmas and there were two lounges as well as the table and four chairs on the balcony - still plenty of room. I will let everyone know how the aft suite turns out!

Hi to All-

What great photos!!!! we are booked in cabin 5186 and needed to know how that balcony looked. The question I have is there an over hang for alittle privacy as my wife likes to tan without tan lines......Dennis

I was not thinking about no cover when I moved our cabin to the larger aft cabin, I have mixed feelings- size is great but also like to stand out on deck when it is raining (covered deck). Love the balcony but can't take the sun, oh well sure it will work out and now we can see more stars.

We're booked in S suite 8135 on the July 17 Zuiderdam. I booked the aft suite after reading so much positive info on this board and for the extra large balcony. In fact, I had a non-suite first, then I saw a huge price drop on the suites so I called HAL and upgraded to the corner aft suite on the top floor, 8135. I think the suite is a little smaller than the other side S suites, but the balcony is huge with the wrap around, plus I'm told there is much more privacy since we are "even" with the overhang of the Lido deck above. And if there's shade that's okay too, because it is going to be hot hot hot anyway!!!

Doone glad I could help. Hope you have a great time. There is always talk about the loss of privacy on these aft suites but one thing to keep in mind is that on the wraparound suites the side balcony is covered from the people above you and that portion is quite long I'm guessing on 5186 and 5187 about 20 feet long and about 6 feet wide. There should usually be some shade on the balcony most of the time and down on deck 5 the people looking down from the Lido deck would not be able to see most of your balcony the people on deck 6 above you would be able to see a lot of your balcony but still not all of it. Obviously these are still just my opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Zui in the aft, an A cabin. Noise and stability were fine...we loved it. Tons of room...especially the storage. We way overpacked and had plenty of room for everything.

We'll try for a corner aft suite next time we pay our own way.

Archived