Transatlantic Cruise

We are going to do our second transatlantic on the Splendour from Venice to Galveston in October. We like the sea days! And the cruise itself is less usually less expensive than the same number of days on regular cruises. I am prone to seasickness and did have a couple of bad days on the last one but not bad enough to keep me from wanting to do it again.

Check out the Brilliance of the Sease Roll Call for November 7, 2006 to find lots of good information about transatlantic cruising. We have over 50 people signed up on the roll call, many of whom have done several transatlantics. And, yes *sease* is now the heading reads.

Do you think there are many teens on the springtime transatlantic cruises? My daughter and I love the sea days and thought might be fun. Is it warm enough in April to use the pool?

Will do our 5th one in October. I like the Westbound itinerary because you gain an hour every couple of nights. And the sea days can be very relaxing if you want them to be. I think if you have cruised before and like it, you will enjoy a TA cruise. I don't think I would recommend one for a first timer. Also, the southern route is calmer and warmer. Last year we did a r.t. from Boston and it was pretty wild a couple of days.

Happy cruising,

Joanne

We've done two westbound transatlantics and absolutely loved them and are making plans to do another next year (2007). The first was from Harwich, England to Boston, MA - all sea days and no ports in between. Last year we did the Jewel from Harwich to Boston with port visits in LeHavre, France; Plymouth, England; Cobh (for Cork), Ireland; Halifax, Nova Scotia;and Portland, ME. On the westbound you pick up an extra hour on five days of the cruise, which is an added bennie. Weather is very difficult to predict, especially long-range, but if you sail on a Radiance class ship (Jewel or Brilliance) there is a solarium pool which has a retractable roof that will allow you to use the pool in the event of chilly or inclement weather. While it is basically an adults only area, when the weather is bad, children are allowed to use it for a limited number of hours each day. There won't be as many kids on board as you would find on a Caribbean cruise or any cruise when school is out, your daughter may find enough people her own age to enjoy some time apart from you. Check out the meet and mingle board for the transatlantics you might be interested in, and you can see if what the passenger mix may be.

I did a transatlantic two years ago and I loved it. It was so relaxing as there were so few ports. But still plenty of activities onboard, sometimes I had to be careful not wanting to do too much. :-)

Another bonus is the price. We got a suite for less than what we usually pay for a regular outside cabin (no balcony!) for the same duration of cruise. My guess is that the difference in price comes from less port charges, because I can't see anything else where they could save money.

Marc

We have done 2 eastbound transatlantics and absolutely LOVED IT! We met the most interesting people, relaxed, napped, read -- did pretty much whatever we wanted! It's slow paced cruise, but not boring at all!

MY Dh and I have been thinking about doing a westbound TA but I also have a couple of questions for those who have gone on them.

We want one where we can sit out by the pool on sea days and enjoy the sun. I know that the weather is likely to change depending on a lot of stuff, but from those who are in the know, which would be the best ship or route to take that would give us more of a chance of doing that? I have a feeling that going out of Harwich to Boston is probably not the best route seeing as how it is north, but of the southern ones, whats the best?

Do they plan alot of activites on sea days? Can you give some examples?

What age group are we looking at on the cruise? Is it a good mix? Do you find that they are mostly American/Canadian or is there a good mix of European thrown in?

thanks, and LMack, sorry to hijack your thread.;)

Hi, I have done 2 transatlantics and they are my absolute favorite cruise. For people watching their budget a little, it is one way to get to do an exotic cruise. The transatlantic or a repositioning cruise can be the cheapest cruise per day. They don't want to ever have an empty ship. I like to get to spend some time in Europe and always consider doing the air deviation that way you can have your european vacation as well as your cruise. I like to the Europe part first and then have the relaxing sea days coming home. That means fall transatlantic. I always do a search on priceline for transatlantic cruises. Then I price several of them because the air will vary alot. Usually my airfare will be more than the cruise. I have never had much luck booking the airfare on my own because it's not round trip. London is usually a reasonable air destination for the transatlantic but it is an expensive city to visit. Those are the kind of things that I consider. I don't worry too much about the ship or the weather.

Has anyone sailed on a transatlantic cruise? We're considering a transatlantic but would like to hear from someone who has had the experience.

Thanks

Lynn

Hi, Lynn -

We did the Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona Transatlantic on Brilliance of the Seas this past April 28 to May 11. We'd only been on a shorter cruise once before and were not sure if we would like it. Well, we loved every minute! There was always something to do, people to talk to, naps to be had (every day!). The weather was good, but the crew said it was the smoothest crossing they remembered. There were a couple of stormy nights but when you're inside the cabin you don't feel it much. The rocking of the ship and the swell of the Atlantic just put us to sleep. The skies were blue and clear all the time and temperatures were between 65 and 75 degrees. I got totally sun-and-windburnt sitting on the aft end of deck 12 reading one day. We enjoyed most of the live shows in the evenings, though not all. I think we most enjoyed the sea days when we could just relax and do whatever we felt like.

Now, those temperatures for you might seem cool. The Canadians on board were all in shorts and tank tops, or swimsuits - a lot of the other people were zipped into sweat suits and shivering. Guess it depends where you come from and what you're used to!

The other comment I'd have is that the westbound cruise in the fall is more likely to hit rough weather - the spring one eastbound less so. I think the Brilliance leaves Barcelona at the beginning of November this year - and we heard that last year they ran into part of a late hurricane and it was pretty rough.

Fran in Toronto

We did our first transatlantic with Sa Traveler on the Splendour and loved it. We have one booked for Dec of 2007 from Lisbon to South America on the Splendour.

We would have done one this year, but the one we liked conflicted with a cruise we already had booked to sail with some friends.

We did the transatlantic on Brilliance this past April--from Miami to Barcelona--and loved it. However, we had exceptionally GOOD weather and probably sailed a bit more southerly than normal--even with that there were days when it was terribly cool (cold to most people) and very windy... Hardly a soul at the pool type days... (chair hogs now move to Solarium)

There were next to no children/teens on board--in fact, I would say the average age was much higher than normal because of the number of days, itinerary, etc. We also had 3 lovely dogs.

We are taking 3 teenage boys next year on the Jewel transatlantic in April. Have taken grandchildren on them before and there always seems to be a nice small group for them. We are looking forward to ending in Amsterdam as it is one spot we have never been. Just booked it this week.

We are however also taking the Millenium back from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale in November of this year and I do love the idea of the long restfull days at sea after going to all the ports first.

Hope that helps.

We are counting down the days till our 3rd transatlantic in NOvember on the Voyager. This will be the second time with the kids ages now 19, 17, 11 and 8. There have not been a lot of teens in the past, but like someone said a "nice little group". My kids have met others from England and Ireland in addition to some from the states. The first trip to Europe with the kids, we flew into London, then took the train/ferry to Amsterdam before boarding the Serenade for its maiden voyage. We had two outside cabins and the price was incredibly inexpensive compared to other sailings.

I think I am done with the Caribbean for now. We are in our early 40's and really enjoy the sea days. Don't worry that there won't be anything to do. Most of the time we had to skip something because we wanted to do something else. (lots of choices). In contrast, I think I will wait another 10 years before I do another Med cruise. It might take me that long to recover from the port intensity.

I agree with others who have stated that the additional hour added on to your day on a Westbound is an added bonus. You can stay up late, sleep in, and then do whatever you want for the day.

The airfare situation is always a little intense. If you book far enough in advance and do your research, you can usually find a good deal. For the November transatlantic, I was able to get one way tickets to Rome (which we decided to stay for a few days) for $299.00. Then a European budget airline to Barcelona for 20 Euros. The flight home from Miami I booked as soon as it became available. It is on the Sunday after Thanksgiving for $99.00 each. RCCL wanted $790.00 p/p.

Jean

:) My daughter and I loved our TA on Voyager! It was warm (we're Canadian) enough for us to use the pool every day, except when they drained it because of slightly rough weather. Don't worry, though, although I am prone to motion sickness, it was so smooth that the most I felt was a little queasy for a few minutes one evening.

The people that we met on board were wonderful - interesting, nice and fun to be with. There was a surprisingly large percentage of Europeans on board. Very few children that I ever saw.

Entertainment and food were fantastic. We never ran out of activities and actually didn't have enough time to do everything that we wanted to do. When the five days at sea ended I was very sad. If it wasn't for my daughter I'm not sure that I would have gone ashore. It was so relaxing on board.

Our days consisted of breakfast in the dining room or on our balcony, a workout in the gym, shower and change for lunch in the dining room. Then we would go to an assortment of activities ranging from bingo to art auctions to wine tasting to climbing rock walls to mini golf to dance lessons. After that a quick dip in the pool and time to get ready for an early dinner. After dinner we enjoyed the show and went to a bar to listen to live music and join the karoake contests. Were we bored? Never! We had such a blast!

I firmly believe that Ta cruises are the best experience out there. It was my daughter's first cruise and my second, by the way. She is now planning a cruise for her honneymoon and I booked an eastbound TA for next year while still on board.

If you decide to go, I am certain that you will love it.

Dorie

It's nice to hear the positive comments on TA cruises, as I am going to be taking my first one this November. I love sea days, so will certainly get my fill of them this time. Only 2 stops and the rest sea days with time to relax. I can't wait!!

We did the transatlantic on Brilliance this past April--from Miami to Barcelona--and loved it. However, we had exceptionally GOOD weather and probably sailed a bit more southerly than normal--even with that there were days when it was terribly cool (cold to most people) and very windy... Hardly a soul at the pool type days... (chair hogs now move to Solarium)

There were next to no children/teens on board--in fact, I would say the average age was much higher than normal because of the number of days, itinerary, etc. We also had 3 lovely dogs.

Hey, you were on that one too? Wasn't it wonderful? Of course, us hardy Canucks were the people in shorts and tees striding around Deck 12;)

The dogs were beautiful, and jokes about the "poop" deck a lot of fun.

What did you like best about the cruise?

Fran in Toronto

Hi Fran,

I was in shorts too...sometimes with goosebumps:p

Hard to say what I liked best...I liked everything. It was our first transatlantic (we missed our scheduled Serenade inaugural transatlantic thanks to United Airlines). I never knew what day it was--or cared!

We have done 12 Transatlantic cruises and have 3 more booked, Oct06, Apr07 and Nov07, in all the 12 we have done we have only had about 5/6 choppy days in total, like someone else said, we like the Westbound the most as it gets warmer each day as you get closer to the Caribbean/Florida.

Hi Fran,

I was in shorts too...sometimes with goosebumps:p

Hard to say what I liked best...I liked everything. It was our first transatlantic (we missed our scheduled Serenade inaugural transatlantic thanks to United Airlines). I never knew what day it was--or cared!

<Giggle>. We were getting on the elevator - one of the few times we did - when a frantic woman dashed up and yelled "Hold the door.", which we did. She looked at the floor and said "Oh, it's Saturday. I'm so embarrassed. I forgot what day of the week it was." The entire group in the elevator collapsed in stitches.

I can tell you what *I* liked best....1. the Captain - hot stuff.....:eek:, not to mention a nice and friendly man. <heavy sigh>:p

2. Anselmo Boles in the Schooner Bar - spent several nights grouped around the piano - managed to get my back teeth well afloat on Mojitos, haven't felt that good in months:D

3. Sitting aft on Deck 12 on one of the windier days watching a very foolish man try to carry one of the deck chairs over his head to a different location, and almost parasail right off the ship. Was *he* scared. There's a reason the things are tied down! Coincidentally the day the Captain announced that the wind was "a little fresher" than anticipated (the understatement of the year!), but it was a "large day" out there.

4. Sitting after on Deck 12 watching the wake and soaking up sun. The immense Atlantic, that amazing indigo colour - no other ships, no land in sight, blue ocean and blue sky - "large" is the only description possible.

5. Being rocked to sleep by the Atlantic swell.

6. The food - both in the dining room and the Windjammer. Tai Chi with Fang was fun as well.

Also loved Malaga and Barcelona - and Spanish food and wine. Mmmm, yumm.

Dreaming on........

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Fran, my first TA is still four months away, and you make me wish it were next week. Aside from everything else I'm looking forward to room service breakfast on the balcony each day, sitting alone on the balcony at night reading a book while DH snoozes away in the cabin and having the whole time of the cruise but especially the 6 days from Funchal to Miami with no phone calls, no emergencies to be taken care of, no e-mails unless I decide to check out the Internet cafe and nothing to do but relax and relax and relax some more. Is this a description of heaven?

Beth

we will be doing our 5th TA from barcelona to miami on BOS nov7, so I guess you could call us addicted for all the reasons already cited above, but the laid back pace is the best of all, and you really get a chance to meet fellow passengers beyond just saying "hi"

one thing is very clear - the weather is out of your control. we've done north route when it's been like a lake and the south rough - and vice versa. you have to keep in mind that you are crossing thousands of miles of ocean in a 6 or 7 day time frame, so you have to expect changes. one thing we have found to be true however is that, because weather moves from west to east, if you are westbound, you are in and out of it faster. on eastbound crossings we have been in bad weather and never got out of it because the ship was sailing east at about the same speed as the weather front. you just take your chances and go - sure beats staying home and worrying what the weather might have been.:D :D

Really want to do a transatlantic - probably Brillance Barcelona to Miami next year, but if we do a week in Spain and then the cruise, that will be the luggage for three weeks of clothing to haul around! Anybody have any tricks? Like can you easily do laundry in Barcelona before getting on the ship?

Archived