Living In Halifax....

• 2 weeks later...

I've only read the last few pages and have gotten a lot of goods ideas from Rick and others. This question may have been covered before but will ask it again.

Will be sailing on the Crown Princess Sept 22 and looking forward to seeing Halifax. We would like to go to Peggys Cove early in the day, but not on a ship's tour.

Are there cabs or tours buses available by the pier for that area and if so, do prior reservations need to be made.

Thanks for any help or information.

I've only read the last few pages and have gotten a lot of goods ideas from Rick and others. This question may have been covered before but will ask it again.

Will be sailing on the Crown Princess Sept 22 and looking forward to seeing Halifax. We would like to go to Peggys Cove early in the day, but not on a ship's tour.

Are there cabs or tours buses available by the pier for that area and if so, do prior reservations need to be made.

Thanks for any help or information.

We reserved space for our family of five with Jonathan Duru from Your Cab (www.yourcab.ca). He met us right at the terminal and drove out to Peggy's Cove via some of the less-traveled roads. It was about three hours total, with 45 minutes at Peggy's Cove, and Jonathan dropped us off in downtown Halifax so we could do some exploring. Jonathan gave us a great tour.

We reserved space for our family of five with Jonathan Duru from Your Cab (www.yourcab.ca). He met us right at the terminal and drove out to Peggy's Cove via some of the less-traveled roads. It was about three hours total, with 45 minutes at Peggy's Cove, and Jonathan dropped us off in downtown Halifax so we could do some exploring. Jonathan gave us a great tour.

Thanks for the information,

Did you e-mail or call him ahead of time to make the reservations? Also was tour just for yourselves or was it a somewhat alrger group.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the information,

Did you e-mail or call him ahead of time to make the reservations? Also was tour just for yourselves or was it a somewhat alrger group.

Thanks again!

We e-mailed, then followed up with a deposit mailed to him. He didn't cash the check - said if we didn't like the tour, we didn't owe anything. We were in a 7-passenger van, so it was just us.

We recently realized we will be in Halifax on Canada's Thanksgiving Day. We are curious about whether attractions/shopping will be open or not. We do have a long excursion booked via the cruise line (hoping that is not cancelled).

Does anyone know if there will be things to do in Halifax on Oct. 8th?

Thanks in advance! :)

We recently realized we will be in Halifax on Canada's Thanksgiving Day. We are curious about whether attractions/shopping will be open or not. We do have a long excursion booked via the cruise line (hoping that is not cancelled).

Does anyone know if there will be things to do in Halifax on Oct. 8th?

Thanks in advance! :)

Although I have not heard anything specifically, I would expect most retail shops and services and tours would be open.

Thanks to John and Renee for pointing me to this thread! It looks like Rick is worth his weight in gold and there is much to be gained from reading his posts. So...with that said...I will ask my own question. I will be coming in on 10/8 and visiting Halifax for the first time. My initial thoughts were to bypass most of the cruiseline excursions and go it alone or with my wifes parents. My thought was to rent a car..which I have done btw. Oh..for anyone interested....Budget opens at 9 am and will bring the car to you at the pier when you call them. Problem...if you call at 9...when will you get the car? Hertz will service cruise passenger from their VIA Railway Station which is 200 yds from the pier and they open at 8:30 am....but they are a little more expensive. I have not checked into Enterprise as suggested previously within this thread. Both Hertz and Budget will close at 1pm for the holiday. You can drop the rental car off at their lots and use drop boxes after they close. Using Hertz seems to make a little more sense because after dropping the car you want to have a short return time to the pier. BUT...here's my dilemna...I am having second thoughts about renting a car. My understanding is that people who book tours through the ship will get first go at coming to shore. So...I don't know how long it will take and don't know but that our day will feel more like we have from 9 to 4. So...this question is for Rick..or anyone else that knows....is Peggy's Cove worth the rental car and effort made given that there are so many things to do in Halifax? I realize this is a hard question but think that maybe we would be smarter doing the hop on hop off trolley tour from the ship..so we can get ashore early...then spend our day at historic sites, museums and shopping...with food and pubs mixed in. Maybe a harbor cruise would be a better use of time than to go to Peggy's Cove? The only reason I can think of to do the car rental gig is so we can see Peggy's Cove...some costline...or other small towns. But...if Peggy's takes 3 hours....I think we may feel rushed and get back at noon only to think we alotted too much time for the drive. BUT....if we did this...then I think we would see the Citadel at noon...then try to walk streets in good order (suggestions or route very welcome!) and then end up at the waterfront...see museums...shops...pier 21...as time permits. So simply put...is all this too much....should we leave Peggy's Cove off and just do all museums, historical sites, shopping, eating, and maybe do a schooner or Harbor Hopper tour instead? I have this gut feeling that we will be sorry we spent so much time at Peggy's Cove with so much else potentially on our plate. Any comments or suggestions welcome. If we do stay in Halifax...I would either use FRED...take the double decker hop on hop off with Princess...or do another recommended tour like yourcab...or the british cab. Any comment on the best of these options give our desires would be much appreciated. Okay...I will take a breath...sit back and wait! LOL

(Just to recap...my initial desires would be to see Maritime Museum...maybe take a brewery tour..or just hit a few good pubs..shop...see the Citadel...maybe see a few historical places...such as burying grounds, churches, loyalist house...etc. And all this with Peggy's Cove! Is it possible? Is it possible without running sprints and ruining the experience? Should we subsitute a Harbor Hopper cruise or schooner cruise for Peggy's...or?)

Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks to John and Renee for pointing me to this thread! It looks like Rick is worth his weight in gold and there is much to be gained from reading his posts. So...with that said...I will ask my own question. I will be coming in on 10/8 and visiting Halifax for the first time. My initial thoughts were to bypass most of the cruiseline excursions and go it alone or with my wifes parents. My thought was to rent a car..which I have done btw. Oh..for anyone interested....Budget opens at 9 am and will bring the car to you at the pier when you call them. Problem...if you call at 9...when will you get the car? Hertz will service cruise passenger from their VIA Railway Station which is 200 yds from the pier and they open at 8:30 am....but they are a little more expensive. I have not checked into Enterprise as suggested previously within this thread. Both Hertz and Budget will close at 1pm for the holiday. You can drop the rental car off at their lots and use drop boxes after they close. Using Hertz seems to make a little more sense because after dropping the car you want to have a short return time to the pier. BUT...here's my dilemna...I am having second thoughts about renting a car. My understanding is that people who book tours through the ship will get first go at coming to shore. So...I don't know how long it will take and don't know but that our day will feel more like we have from 9 to 4. So...this question is for Rick..or anyone else that knows....is Peggy's Cove worth the rental car and effort made given that there are so many things to do in Halifax? I realize this is a hard question but think that maybe we would be smarter doing the hop on hop off trolley tour from the ship..so we can get ashore early...then spend our day at historic sites, museums and shopping...with food and pubs mixed in. Maybe a harbor cruise would be a better use of time than to go to Peggy's Cove? The only reason I can think of to do the car rental gig is so we can see Peggy's Cove...some costline...or other small towns. But...if Peggy's takes 3 hours....I think we may feel rushed and get back at noon only to think we alotted too much time for the drive. BUT....if we did this...then I think we would see the Citadel at noon...then try to walk streets in good order (suggestions or route very welcome!) and then end up at the waterfront...see museums...shops...pier 21...as time permits. So simply put...is all this too much....should we leave Peggy's Cove off and just do all museums, historical sites, shopping, eating, and maybe do a schooner or Harbor Hopper tour instead? I have this gut feeling that we will be sorry we spent so much time at Peggy's Cove with so much else potentially on our plate. Any comments or suggestions welcome. If we do stay in Halifax...I would either use FRED...take the double decker hop on hop off with Princess...or do another recommended tour like yourcab...or the british cab. Any comment on the best of these options give our desires would be much appreciated. Okay...I will take a breath...sit back and wait! LOL

(Just to recap...my initial desires would be to see Maritime Museum...maybe take a brewery tour..or just hit a few good pubs..shop...see the Citadel...maybe see a few historical places...such as burying grounds, churches, loyalist house...etc. And all this with Peggy's Cove! Is it possible? Is it possible without running sprints and ruining the experience? Should we subsitute a Harbor Hopper cruise or schooner cruise for Peggy's...or?)

Thanks!

Kevin

First, in Halifax, you dock so there is no problem getting off the ship early if you need to.

As for your ambitious plans, much of is possible but for perspective, it took us over 4 1/2 hours (10:30 am to 3 pm via private custom tour with Jonathan/yourcab) to cover: quick city tour, leisurely stroll at Public Gardens, 45 min stop for some shopping, leisurely scenic drive to/from Peggy's Cove, 20 min rushed visit at Peggy's Cove and 1 hr lunch. Assuming you have the energy, we could've easily squeezed in a museum and a couple more city tourist sites such as the Citadel. IMO, if you want to maximize your time, I would not do a water/cruise excursion.

BTW, when you refer to burying grounds and Loyalist House, aren't you referring to Saint John as we visited these things there? I didn't realize Halifax had the same things, or did I miss something?? :confused:

Andiron, here is a web page with a web cam showing Peggy's Cove in live time, also Halifax on the same site. I just looked and it's raining today, yesterday weather was great. Someone on our thread shared it, so I am just passing it on. Enjoy!

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/index.php?CURRENT_CAM=cam5&SET_CAM=cam5

Sounds like I'm getting my wires crossed with the Loyalist House and Burying grounds. I do know that some Titanic victims are buried in Halifax....so this is what I was trying to say. Thank you very much for the replies. It's especially good to know we aren't tendered to the docks in Halifax as it will save much more time. Still on the fence about Peggy's Cove. I think I will lurk more before deciding. In any event I think we can use FRED or the Double Decker Bus Tour to give the most flexibility. If we book the DD Bus. I just wonder if it's best through Princess or to just do it at the information booth? I don't think having a rental car will necessarily make it as easy to see the sites as one of the hop on hop off options but it would make it easier for a few stops and would definitely help if we were to leave Halifax. The guided tours sound good....but I think we can probably navigate to the major sites on our own and will be happier to be more independent. Just thinking out loud in case someone wants to set me straight! :) As it turns out...maybe shopping won't be so high on the list of priorities for our group....so...I will be keeping this in mind when I consider the time we will have to explore. I think a pub crawl, brewery tour, maritime museum, citadel and a few other historic places are high on our list. This of course is working backwards in logic to see if we can make this happen and have time for lunch and a Peggy's Tour or other excursion....then we can try to have our cake and eat it too! Maybe? Sorry if much of this is repititious. I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about this particular port. PS. Lobster! Where is the best...Peggy's...some other town outside of Halifax...or in Halifax? Or maybe Saint Johns? LOL Okay...that's all for now.

Thanks again, Kevin :)

Sounds like I'm getting my wires crossed with the Loyalist House and Burying grounds. I do know that some Titanic victims are buried in Halifax....so this is what I was trying to say. Thank you very much for the replies. It's especially good to know we aren't tendered to the docks in Halifax as it will save much more time. Still on the fence about Peggy's Cove. I think I will lurk more before deciding. In any event I think we can use FRED or the Double Decker Bus Tour to give the most flexibility. If we book the DD Bus. I just wonder if it's best through Princess or to just do it at the information booth? I don't think having a rental car will necessarily make it as easy to see the sites as one of the hop on hop off options but it would make it easier for a few stops and would definitely help if we were to leave Halifax. The guided tours sound good....but I think we can probably navigate to the major sites on our own and will be happier to be more independent. Just thinking out loud in case someone wants to set me straight! :) As it turns out...maybe shopping won't be so high on the list of priorities for our group....so...I will be keeping this in mind when I consider the time we will have to explore. I think a pub crawl, brewery tour, maritime museum, citadel and a few other historic places are high on our list. This of course is working backwards in logic to see if we can make this happen and have time for lunch and a Peggy's Tour or other excursion....then we can try to have our cake and eat it too! Maybe? Sorry if much of this is repititious. I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about this particular port. PS. Lobster! Where is the best...Peggy's...some other town outside of Halifax...or in Halifax? Or maybe Saint Johns? LOL Okay...that's all for now.

Thanks again, Kevin :)

My original plan for Halifax was to cram in as much as we could of the city sites via a self guided walking tour. That changed when my parents decided to tag along and we all decided we wanted to see Peggy's Cove. However if you are fit and want to do as much as possible downtown on your own, consider my travel agent's ALL walking tour of Halifax (just modify the start and end from the cruise terminal):

Begin at the Halifax Argyle Visitor Centre, located at the corner of Argyle and Sackville streets. At the Visitor Centre, start walking down Sackville Street towards Halifax Harbour, to Barrington Street. Looking to the right along Barrington Street, you can imagine the late Victorian splendor of the Church of England Institute building, now The Khyber, a centre for the arts, and next to it the facade of the former City Club of the 1890s, given new life as part of the Neptune Theatre complex. At this corner you can also see the Discovery Centre, a hands-on science centre.

Walk north on Barrington Street. Many of the buildings in this area were built in the late 1800s by wealthy merchants. No.1672 belonged to George Wright, a local developer who was one of 33 millionaires on the maiden voyage of the SS Titanic. Continue to the end of the block to see the talent of modern Nova Scotian craftspeople on display at the Mary E. Black Gallery in the Nova Scotia Centre for Craft and Design.

Turn left on Prince Street and walk uphill to the corner of Argyle Street . The large golden building, Carleton House, is Halifax’s oldest residential building (1759).

Walk north along Argyle Street. If you stop and look straight ahead to the end of Argyle Street , you will notice Scotia Square, an indoor mall with more than 60 stores. It also has a Visitor Information Centre.

Back on Argyle Street, on your right is St. Paul’s Church, the oldest building in Halifax (1750) and the first Protestant church in Canada. The church faces the Grand Parade, a military parade ground from Halifax’s earliest days and still a central public gathering place. The Cenotaph in front of St. Paul’s commemorates those who served in the two world wars and the Korean conflict. At the opposite end of the Grand Parade is Halifax City Hall, a fine example of Victorian architecture, built in 1888 and now the seat of government for the Halifax Regional Municipality.

Look up Carmichael Street to Citadel Hill, where you’ll see the Old Town Clock, one of Halifax’s most famous landmarks. Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, arranged for a turret clock to be manufactured for the Halifax garrison before his return to England in 1800. The Town Clock officially began keeping time for the garrison and residents of Halifax in 1803. In its early years, the clock was used as a guard room and residence for the caretaker. The large wooden structure at the corner of Argyle and Carmichael streets was built in 1817 as a school. It later housed the Victoria School of Art and Design, founded in 1887. One of the patrons of the Victoria School was Anna Leonowens’ whose earlier experiences as governess to the King of Siam’s children formed the basis for the musical The King and I.

Walk across the Grand Parade and downhill on George Street for two blocks. (As an alternate route, continue another block downhill. On your right, just past Bedford Row, you will find the Celtic Cross, dedicated to the original Irish settlers of 1749). Turn right at Hollis Street . On your left is the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, caretaker of the province’s impressive collection of regional, national and international art. The fine Victorian Italianate facade of the building dates back to 1864 when the 12-foot statue of Britannia looked down on an outdoor farmers’ market, active on this site for more than 100 years.

Across Hollis Street is Province House. Built between 1811 and 1818, this fine Georgian building is home to the first responsible government in the British Empire. A statue of Joseph Howe, a leader in this fight for democracy and twice elected premier of Nova Scotia, stands in the courtyard.

On the north-east corner of Hollis and Prince streets stands the Bank of Nova Scotia, a registered historic building in the Art Deco style of the 1930s. Return to George Street and walk back up to Granville. The tradition in this neighbourhood of competing bank architecture is an old one, as witnessed by the imposing building on the corner of George and Granville streets (Bank of Commerce, 1906) and the highly decorated Italianate-style Merchants’ Bank (1911) a block north at the corner of Granville and Duke streets.

Just ahead is the attractive pedestrian plaza of Granville Mall. When the original buildings were destroyed by fire in 1859, this block was completely rebuilt, producing one of the finest Victorian-Italianate facades in Canada. Today, modern hotel facilities, pubs, shops and the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design share the unique spaces behind these facades.

Taking the entrance marked Shops of Granville Mall leads you into a network of arched brick passageways that now connect shops and the college, where it is easy to imagine the scene a century ago carts crowding the alley with merchandise from ports around the world.

Follow through to the exit onto Hollis Street. Across the street and to the left is the Morse’s Tea Building, a large ironstone structure built in 1841, now occupied by the College of Art and Design. Cross Hollis Street at the traffic lights, then walk north to the stairs leading down to Upper Water Street. Take the crosswalk to the main courtyard of Historic Properties. The first project of its kind in Canada, Historic Properties Privateers Wharf is living history at its best. Restored in the early 1970s, the four-acre National Historic Site features ten buildings, some dating back to the 1800s. Privateers Wharf was the centre of activity on the Halifax waterfront, welcoming trading vessels and privateers alike. It was from Halifax that many of the privateers, licensed by the British crown to raid enemy vessels, set sail and returned with their bounty. One of the most successful, Enos Collins, started the first bank in Nova Scotia, the Halifax Banking Co., in the building to your left. Next to it is the oldest building in the group, Privateers’ Warehouse, built in 1813. Across the courtyard is the original home of Pickford and Black, the shipping company.

Stroll just north of the Casino Nova Scotia Hotel to try your luck at Casino Nova Scotia. Along with an extensive, exciting gaming area and event spaces, Casino Nova Scotia houses the only T.G.I. Friday’s east of Niagara Falls. Casino Nova Scotia’s currency exchange is always open and offers competitive rates. Follow the boardwalk south from here through more of Halifax’s history.

From the Ferry Terminal just ahead, the oldest continually operating saltwater ferry (since 1752) plies the waters between Halifax and Dartmouth. The ferry terminal also houses a seasonal Visitor Information Centre. This eight-minute ride is one of the best ways to view the skylines of both Halifax and Dartmouth. Beyond is Chebucto Landing, with North America’s oldest operating Naval Clock (1772) looking down on the site of the landing of the first settlers to Halifax. The old-world craft of glass blowing is also revived here in Canada’s only crystal manufacturer, NovaScotian Crystal. Along the waterfront, you’ll find Theodore Too. Based on the popular TV show, this world-renowned tugboat offers tours that bring "the Big Harbour" to life.

Stroll along the waterfront’s finger piers and watch the daily comings and goings of busy harbour traffic & tour boats, visiting tallmasted training ships and pleasure crafts of all sizes. The observation deck at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is an excellent vantage point.

At its mooring behind the museum is CSS Acadia, Canada’s first hydrographic vessel. At Sackville Landing, the convoy escort corvette HMCS Sackville has been restored as Canada’s naval memorial. Bedford Basin (the inner harbour) was the staging point for the great convoys of ships that brought relief and supplies to war-torn Europe during World War II. Adjacent to HMCS Sackville is a Visitor Information Centre. Also nearby is the Merchant Navy Memorial, dedicated to those who served in the Merchant Marine, and the statue of a lone sailor, honouring the thousands of seamen who passed through the Port of Halifax.

Continue south along the boardwalk to Summit Plaza, where an arch and plaque commemorate the meeting of world leaders in Halifax during the 1995 G-7 Economic Summit.

After a last look towards the outer harbour, the islands and perhaps a visiting giant cruise ship, turn away from the harbour towards Lower Water Street and the labyrinth of ironstone buildings that housed Keith’s Breweries from the early 1800s to 1971. Alexander Keith’s Nova Scotia Brewery has costumed interpreters to guide visitors through the smells and tastes of a working brew house.

(Alternately, continue south along the boardwalk known as the Halifax Harbourwalk until you come to the Gateway park. This area links the Seawall where the cruise ships moor to the Halifax waterfront. Continuing south, you’ll come to the Authority’s Cruise Pavilion. This spot teems with activity when cruise ships are in town, as artisans and other vendors set up and peddle their wares. Next is Pier 21 National Historic Site, Canada’s Ellis Island. )

Enter Brewery Market at the North Arch on Lower Water Street and wander through the vaulted corridors, now filled with a lively Saturday morning farmers’ market instead of great horse-drawn wagons loaded with kegs of beer.

Past the restaurants, bakery and offices, take the stairs up to Hollis Street, exit and turn left. (If the complex is closed, walk up Salter Street and turn left onto Hollis.)

In the early to mid-1800s, many of Halifax’s wealthiest citizens built elegant homes in this neighbourhood. Past the Brewery complex is Keith Hall, built as Alexander Keith’s residence in 1863.

Turn right up Bishop Street. This street appears much as it must have in the 1860s. Of particular interest is the four-unit townhouse on the left, built in 1862. This was a typical residence for the upper-middle-class city dweller of that era.

Continue up to the corner of Barrington Street and turn right. Here stands stately Government House, the residence of Nova Scotia’s Lieutenant Governor. Built for Governor Sir John and Lady Francis Wentworth between 1799 and 1805, it is the oldest official government residence in Canada (not open to the public).

Across from Government House on Barrington Street is the Old Burying Ground, in use from 1749 to 1843. Visitors are encouraged to stroll through the graveyard, where interpretive signs highlight graves of historical significance. (You can access the Old Burying Grounds after crossing Barrington Street at Spring Garden Road.) The large stone arch with the lion on top is the Welsford Parker Monument (1857), a memorial to the Crimean War. Still on Barrington Street, St. Matthew’s Church, opened in 1859, is on your right. The congregation’s history dates back to 1749, making St. Matthew’s the oldest United Church in Canada. Across Spring Garden Road is St. Mary’s Basilica. Its graceful spire, rising 128 feet above the roof, is the tallest dressed (polished) granite spire in North America.

Walk up Spring Garden Road. On your left is the imposing bulk of the old Halifax Court House, its main structure completed in 1863. On the other side of the street is the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library with its statue of Sir Winston Churchill by noted sculptor Oscar Nemon. The shopping district of Spring Garden Road is also worth exploring!

WOW! Thank you very much Terpnut. I'm just about speechless after that reply! I don't think we'll have to wonder what to do at any given moment. No matter where we go....we will have an orientation and description of the history that lays before us. Given all of those sights I truly doubt the Peggy's Cove excursion will materialize! LOL Thanks again! :eek:

What a great walking tour and I have cut/pasted and added it to our Halifax folder.

However we do want to spend time at the Citadel also. Is this a guided tour - really asking, is there an admission fee? Is there a way to get up there without the hike? (We are a bit limited with long steep walks)

Thanks.

What a great walking tour and I have cut/pasted and added it to our Halifax folder.

However we do want to spend time at the Citadel also. Is this a guided tour - really asking, is there an admission fee? Is there a way to get up there without the hike? (We are a bit limited with long steep walks)

Thanks.

Yes, there is an entry fee. See the attached web site for more info.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/visit/tarifs_fees_e.asp?park=38

You can get there by cab of course or you can use the free bus "FRED" that has a stop at Citadal Hill.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

I hope that you enjoy your stay in Halifax.

Thank you for the link. That did answer all my questions except one!

I am wondering if the Living History venus in the Citadel will be open in the fall as we will be there October 14, 2007. The narragive only mentioned summer but didn't give opening or closing dates.

If you happen to know this, it would be helpful.

Carol

Yes, there is an entry fee. See the attached web site for more info.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/visit/tarifs_fees_e.asp?park=38

You can get there by cab of course or you can use the free bus "FRED" that has a stop at Citadal Hill.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

I hope that you enjoy your stay in Halifax.

Which one, if any, of the FRED stops is closest to the cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried? :confused:

Sorry, but FRED only covers the general downtown area while the cemetery is outside of the downtown core.

Thank you for the link. That did answer all my questions except one!

I am wondering if the Living History venus in the Citadel will be open in the fall as we will be there October 14, 2007. The narragive only mentioned summer but didn't give opening or closing dates.

If you happen to know this, it would be helpful.

Carol

Sorry, but I don't know. In fact, even though I live here and drive by the Citadel twice a day on the way to and from work I haven't actually been there for about 20 years:o .

I see that you will be here on Oct. 14th. I won't be here that day as I will be somewhere between Fort Lauderdale and San Juan!

we'll be in halifax sunday sept 2 off the QM2 cruise for the day.

any thoughts about renting a car and driving to bay of fundy?

too far?

worth it??

thanks,

aaron

It would be about a couple of hours of driving each direction.

Archived