Volendam Anomalie?

albertiger

For those of you with Volendam knowledge;

On the deck plans, Navigation Deck, Cat I (inside), cabins 7086 and 7083 appear to have windows facing the stern deck:confused: . True? I realize these would be shaded by the overhang but can anyone tell me for sure that they DO have a window?

Thanks!:)

Was lucky enough to grab one of those "inside" cabin for our boys on our Christmas cruise. Nice to know that they will actually see daylight from their "inside" cabin!;) Best yet, it's right across the hall from Mom and dear step-dad!:D

This is true on both the Volendam and the Zaandam.

And ... PLEASE ... as Ruth says ... keep it QUIET. If HAL figures out these are outside cabins they'll charge more for them. Thus far they've not done that, and have been a "big" secret among those of us who LOVE these two cabins.

That aft deck is also one of the ship's best-kept secrets. I've known people who have been on the R class ships 3 and 4 times and have NO idea that it's back there. :) And I'm not about to tell them!

The ride is like - um - being at sea on the back of a ship!

:D

If the seas are rough, so will the ride be - and if they're smooth, you'll know it!

Bear in mind that these have the same strange layout as the corresponding staterooms on Amsterdam

The ride is like - um - being at sea on the back of a ship!

:D

If the seas are rough, so will the ride be - and if they're smooth, you'll know it!

The "ride" in these cabins can be a bit "rough" when the seas are high, being all the way aft that's hard to avoid. But, then, I prefer the aft over the front ... and if the ride has got to be rough at least it's going to be fun in the aft, while in the front it can be a bit jarring. :D

We booked 7086 for Mom on our May '06 Volendam Inside Passage sailing. She just loved it. Shhh....we plan to book the same cabin on the Zaandam for my MIL for '07.

B

bellebaby.

My wife and I are booked in 7086 on the Volendam Panama Canal repo' in Sept/Oct 06. (17 days)

I have heard lots of good things about these cabins but apparently they have a "strange " layout. The window and proximity to the aft deck are a real plus. Maybe your Mom could give us some insite into the cabin, good points, bad points etc, it really would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Are these cabins smaller than normal inside cabins?

Don't know about the "normal inside cabins" - but these cabins have an

unusual layout. The sofa partially faces the bathroom wall - and appeared only one person could confortably sit on it at a time. Believe they have only a shower - no bathtub. Would be appropriate as a single - or for a couple that is only in the cabin at night . Didn't have much extra space.

Are these cabins smaller than normal inside cabins?

They are listed as the same sq footage as other inside "I" cat' as we do not intend to spend a lot of time in the cabin I don't think the layout will be a concern. As long as the air conditioning is working well all should be fine!!! (it is going to be hot and humid in the P/Canal region)

For me the window is a big plus also the small aft deck outside the cabin. The fact it is on the navigation deck is a bonus.

"bellbaby" --- what did your Mom think of the cabin?

I'm not sure I understand the set up as described. I know there is a side entry so as you walk in, is there any kind of hallway? Is the bathroom to the left? somehow I thought the beds were not against the "window" but there was a small seating area in front of the it. Could anyone clarify? We are looking at Jan 22, 07 for the Irish Tours crowd. Thanks,

Blessings,

Gail

I'm not sure I understand the set up as described. I know there is a side entry so as you walk in, is there any kind of hallway? Is the bathroom to the left? somehow I thought the beds were not against the "window" but there was a small seating area in front of the it. Could anyone clarify? We are looking at Jan 22, 07 for the Irish Tours crowd. Thanks,

Blessings,

Gail

The entrance is from the main corridor/hallway. The bed is against the far wall ; window to the south (left as I viewed it). Small desk area against the wall by the hallway (small walkway at end of the bed) Bathroom to the left as you entered from the hallway. Sofa kind of behind the enclosure of the bathroom - by the side of the bed. Appeared that the sofa had little space where it was behind the wall of the bathroom.

Hi, everyone

Sorry, I missed this thread for a few days.

My Mom loved this cabin. She could sit on the side of her bed, open the curtain and watch the beuaty of the Inside Passage without getting so cold. She really enjoyed the view.

If I remember correctly, when you open the door, the bathroom is on the left, the small sofa straight ahead, the bed to your right with the closet and desk at the foot of the bed, and the window is on the right wall. The bed is not all the way up against the right wall. That's where my Mom and I would sit on the side of the bed and look out the window. I don't remember if it had a tub or not. I can ask Mom. There's also a small storage area to the left of the sofa behind the bathroom. Perfect for storing luggage, etc.

Last year, Mom went with us and shared our Suite. While there was plenty of room, but we realized everyone needs their own space. That's when we decided to try 7086 or 7083. She absolutely loved it. The window has a protective coating on it so that others cannot see into the room during the day. However, at night, with the lights on, others can see in and the drapes should be pulled.

The deck is really nice. Very few people use it or know about it. It's private and the view is perfect. One night we watched the sunset and the wake of the ship from her "verandah" instead of ours. It was a much better view that evening.

It's perfect for a single or a couple. Very cozy, but not claustrophobic.

This is the best "inside" cabin anyone could hope for. Navigation deck, aft window, access to a rarely used public deck. If's available, and you are looking for an inside or want to have an economical oceanview room, take it!

B

These two cabins are absolutely awful. You will hate them. Now, please don't tell another soul about them!

Thanks for the warning. But being the nice guy I am , I will have to book one of these cabins to spare someone else from the horror of staying there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived