What Can/Should We See As Soon as We Board?

Gardyloo2

We're about 10 days away from leaving on our July 9 Westerdam Alaska trip, and of course we have have some last minute questions. We're HAL newbies.

The way HAL boards early is new to us, and sounds great. I think we're going to be at the ship at 11 am, or sooner if you recommend it, and hope to board at 11:30. We're wondering what CC'ers recommend we do first thing when we get onboard.

I'm hoping to get my DH into a cooking class with the guest chef, so I figure we'd better take care of that one first. He said he wants to "watch" the private cooking class, but I don't know if that's do-able.

We have a complementary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill one night, so we probably should figure out when to do that.

We were placed on the 7:45 dinner seating, and I'm trying to find out if DH wants to go earlier. There's a group on the ship, but I don't know how big it is, and the early seating wasn't available when we booked.

We don't have plans to use the spa at this point.

Can we walk through the public rooms after we board? Should/can we go up to the Crow’s Nest?

The first thing you will see are the smiling faces of that great fantastic crew!! You will be welcomed warmly and asked to proceed to the Lido for lunch. You can really roam about the ship and check out the public rooms during the time until your cabin is ready. We generally do this even if we have been aboard the ship before. It's a great time to take photo's before the rooms are filled with all the excited passengers having a wonderful time.

You can stop at the pinnacle and confirm or make a reservation. You can meet with the Maitre'D to discuss your dining times if you want. Generally he is available around 1 or 1:30. You can inquire in the dining room as to the time and place. You can stop at the spa and make appointments. You can order a wine package. Lots of fun things to do!!:D

By all means go to the Lido for lunch first because it tends to get crowded as more people board. Look around the Lido to get the lay of the Buffet - see where your favorites are located. Once you have lunch then you can explore the ship. There will be a document given to you with where to go and times for changing dinner times, etc. This is also a good time to go to the front desk and ask about signing up for the cooking class. My DH wanted to do that but by the time the notice was published in the daily schedule the one he wanted was booked - they don't take a lot of folks. If the sun is shining go outside on the upper decks and take some photos and then check out the spa, Crow's nest and each deck. By then your room should be ready.

Have a great trip!:)

Eating first is always a good thing *LOL*

Then we usually go exploring around the ship . We haven't been on the same ship twice yet, so its still a new adventure for us every time we board :)

Like others have said its also a good time to make reservations and appointments for dinner seatings, spa, Pinnacle, etc.

When you first board a ship, wheter its your first or one hundred and first cruise is just so exciting. Savor every moment of it. :)

Enjoy:)

If we can't go to our rooms immediately, what do we do with our carry on luggage? As we will probably have a few pieces (me purse and a bag) I would hate to carry all that around with us as we eat and splunk about the ship.

If we can't go to our rooms immediately, what do we do with our carry on luggage? As we will probably have a few pieces (me purse and a bag) I would hate to carry all that around with us as we eat and splunk about the ship.

There will be a check-in area for carry-ons once you are on the ship. A steward or two will be in attendence.

When I boarded the Noordam last March it was the Piano Lounge on deck 2---the same deck I boarded on. For the first time ever I didn't have to return to claim my carry-on; it was delivered to my cabin.

If we can't go to our rooms immediately, what do we do with our carry on luggage?

They usually have a secure place for you to put your carry-ons, but we never do as the things in our carryon we could take no chance of losing- meds, docs, passports, jewelry, camera. So we just keep it by our table when we are eating (serving ourselves one at a time while the other holds a table and watches the bag).

Really it isn't that much time at all and not a huge problem. Even if you get on when the doors open around 11:30, the cabins are ready between 1 and 1:30.

Yes, we too like to head right up the stairs to the Lido to see what's cookin'.

(Taking the stairs all of the time is my trade off for eating a whole lot more while sailing than I normally would!)

Then, we enjoy watching the activity in the port, either from the Lower Prom., or from the windows around the Lido pool area. In that spot, a nice draft beer and some purloined corn chips and guacamole from the Lido Grill are nice while I wait for the rooms to be ready.

Yes, we too like to head right up the stairs to the Lido to see what's cookin'.

(Taking the stairs all of the time is my trade off for eating a whole lot more while sailing than I normally would!)

Then, we enjoy watching the activity in the port, either from the Lower Prom., or from the windows around the Lido pool area. In that spot, a nice draft beer and some purloined corn chips and guacamole from the Lido Grill are nice while I wait for the rooms to be ready.

Sounds like HEAVEN!

#1 - the Lido - for lunch

#2 - Pinnacle Grill - for reservations

#3 - Shorex - for excursions unless you've done it on-line and/or you're doing your own thing

#3A - Used to be Front Office to register your CC (now done on shore while checking in)

#4 - If new to HAL - take the ship's tour by the cruise staff

#5 - If not new, explore the ship on your own to see if anything has changed

#6 - Relax and enjoy your vacation!! (most important one;) )

If it's important to you to have a specific time for a spa, hair or nail appointment, it is best done sooner rather than later. It usually sells out for the first at sea and or formal night. Bargain hunters however, tend to wait for the specials offered later in the cruise.

Lynn

Archived