need opinions....Bermuda

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to cruise to Bermuda from NJ or stay at a resort there for 5 days. We have never been there before. We love cruising but it seems that out of the 5 days, you are only actually in Bermuda for 1.5 days.....

The prices are comparable...

5 night Voyager vs. Elbow Beach Resort.....

I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion on this subject!

Thanks!

I have never stayed at a resort in Bermuda but I have cruised there twice. I will tell you that if the price is comparable I would go to Elbow Beach. It is a beautiful hotel and even though I have spent a total of 5 days in Bermuda from by cruises, I still want more. It is my all time favorite island.

As much as I love cruising and have been to Bermuda three times via ship, I still think that's a destination better experienced on land...especially if you are golfers. Elbow Beach Resort is a great property, and you certainly won't run out of things to do on Bermuda in 5 days.

The 5 night cruise to Bermuda is NOT worth it. Go for the land vacation. We've been to Bermuda many times. Just back back from the Empress last week. The cruise is only worth it if it is 7 nights or longer and even then....you are not really in Bermuda for very long. But the 5 night cruise is ridiculously short.

Teresa,

I've done both the 5 day cruise and five day stay on the island last year (Fairmont Southampton) and if given the choice, as much as I love cruising and RCCL, I would stay on the island.

Only reason I did the 5 day cruise first is because I had never been to Bermuda before. I like to cruise to an island if it is the first time I am going, that way I don't waste a whole vacation if I really don't like it.

I've done both many times......Here's another vote for the land package.

If you do the land vacation, you will see a lot of Bermuda and relax and appreciate the beautiful waters and beaches there.

If you do the cruise, you will mostly experience the wonderful Explorer of the Seas---Bermuda will be a quick side-thought.

Leslie

I agree also. Bermuda is a wonderful destination with a lot to see and do. I would not do less than a 7 day cruise to the island. If all you have is five days I would take the land deal. Elbow Bay Beach Resort is beautiful and would make a great place to stay and see the island.

I also would not do a five day cruise on a Voyager class ship. I don't think it is nearly enough time to experience everything that they have to offer. From the beginning I have said that 5 day cruises to Bermuda on a Voyager class ship made no sense to me.

We have stayed on the Island and we took our first cruise to Bermuda because we thought it was a safe way to try out cruising: day and a half down, four days there, day and a half back. We already knew that we loved the island.

I would not do a five day cruise to "see" Bermuda, if it was docked at King's Wharf. For us, there is little to do up there and it takes a chunk of time to take land transportation or the ferry to Hamilton. The 7 day cruise that included Hamilton and St George was great.

We found Bermuda to be pretty pricey (food, etc.) so a cruise was the best of both worlds for us. We visited many of our favorite spots and mostly ate on the ship. We would do it again, but, only if it was for 7 days and the ports were Hamilton and St. George.

My point is that unless your quote for the land based trip is for an all inclusive, your better deal might be a 7 day cruise.

Bermuda is of course a beautiful destination.......if $$ is a factor at all cruising is a great value. My suggestion would be to find another ship going there for a longer stretch of time......We had the best of both worlds when we went on the Empress for an 8 night cruise. It was a beautiful (intimate) ship, newly refurbished and we had a good 4 days in port. Enough time to see everything. Just my 2 cents! :)

Sharon

either way you will enjoy it!!

I would not do a five day cruise to "see" Bermuda, if it was docked at King's Wharf. For us, there is little to do up there and it takes a chunk of time to take land transportation or the ferry to Hamilton. The 7 day cruise that included Hamilton and St George was great.

I couldn't agree with you more. I wouldn't do a cruise where the ship spent the whole time out at the Dockyards. We, too, go back to the ship for our meals. Having the ship out there is very inconvenient.

When we went to Bermuda on Horizon we really lucked out. It was too windy for her to get through the cut into St. George so she spent four days docked in Hamilton. It was such a perfect week.

I have done the 5-day cruise to Bermuda twice and absolutely loved it both times! I was able to do tons of stuff in our short visit there. If you plan well you can see pretty much the whole island. (I said "see" not "do"). What we didn't do the first time we covered the next time. I love cruising so much and about 2 days is about the most I can stand to be in any one place so the 5-day to Bermuda was perfect for me! I would not hesitate to cruise there again on a 5-day! Now, if this was going to be a once in a lifetime experience, then I would probably select a longer cruise or would plan a short land trip directly to the island. But, lucky for me, I will have opportunities to return, so the 5-day cruise works out just fine for me. Also, I have visited all 3 ports in Bermuda and the Dockyards was by far my favorite to be docked at because it was the most picturesque in my opinion. They had a lovely festival the evening we were there too which just added to the ambience of the night. We had no problem getting around the island, even from the Dockyard.

Thank you!

Everyone has given me wonderful advice! I think we will opt for the land package this time! I will save my cruising for longer trips!

Thanks again, you were all a great help!

Teresa

Hi Bonnie....We rent mopeds when we visit Bermuda, so we make the most of every minute, not having to depend on public transportation.

I have always avoided the 5-day cruises to Bermuda because once we get there, we want to spend more time than 1.5 days. We can stay in Bermuda for a week with no problem. However, we have booked the Grandeur for next September, since we only live 15 minutes from the Baltimore terminal. IMHO, it seemed like a no-brainer, but we'd never travel any distance for a 5-day cruise to Bermuda.

There's a sticky on the Princess board asking what new itineraries Princess cruisers would prefer and the majority said a 7-day to Bermuda. ;)

I have done the 5-day cruise to Bermuda twice and absolutely loved it both times! I was able to do tons of stuff in our short visit there. If you plan well you can see pretty much the whole island. (I said "see" not "do"). What we didn't do the first time we covered the next time. I love cruising so much and about 2 days is about the most I can stand to be in any one place so the 5-day to Bermuda was perfect for me! I would not hesitate to cruise there again on a 5-day! Now, if this was going to be a once in a lifetime experience, then I would probably select a longer cruise or would plan a short land trip directly to the island. But, lucky for me, I will have opportunities to return, so the 5-day cruise works out just fine for me. Also, I have visited all 3 ports in Bermuda and the Dockyards was by far my favorite to be docked at because it was the most picturesque in my opinion. They had a lovely festival the evening we were there too which just added to the ambience of the night. We had no problem getting around the island, even from the Dockyard.

Madelinerose, I have also done the Grandeur cruise to Bermuda! I loved it! I am about 45 minutes from Baltimore so it was also pretty easy for us! Grandeur is a beautiful ship and we totally enjoyed our short Bermuda cruise onboard Grandeur! Hope you enjoy it as well!

You say the cruise & elbow beach is about even, did you include airfare & food to your stay? I agree staying on the island gives you more time but if you not thrilled with it you have to wait till your flight leaves. Good luck enjoy yourself either way.

You say the cruise & elbow beach is about even, did you include airfare & food to your stay? I agree staying on the island gives you more time but if you not thrilled with it you have to wait till your flight leaves. Good luck enjoy yourself either way.

And if you go by ship and are not thrilled with the island don't you have to wait for your ship to leave??

And if you go by ship and are not thrilled with the island don't you have to wait for your ship to leave??

You don't need to get off the ship! Certainly been there, done that with ports I didn't care for - but for me, the ship is destination in itself. I wouldn't care if they sailed 10 miles out and dropped anchor for five days.

But, in response to the OP - I've done a land-based and several cruises to Bermuda - remember, you also need to factor in food with the land-based - in Bermuda, that can easily double the cost of your accommodations. Granted, I was lots younger and single when I did the land-based, but I do remember being bored senseless at night.

Mom & I did the 5 day in May.....we are doing it again next may. She went to Bermuda on her honeymoon...uh, a long time ago, ahem. She thought it changed a lot.

While I agree that 5 nights isn't long enough because you only get 1 day and a half there, I liked it enough to rebook and go back. Actually we love just being on the ship even though we are not big "joiners"....I will do some stuff, she just likes to "chill".

Having been on 2 other Voyager-class ships prior to this, we knew where stuff was and I was able to make better use of time.

That said, if Marriott still had a property in BDA I wouldn't rule out a land vacation........

Guess that didn't help much huh? sorry.....i would say cruise.

Yeah I luv Bermuda, but it is so expensive. So if you do a land vacation there, make sure it's all inclusive. Other then that I would do a land vacation and a cruise to Bermuda. Depending on what it is I feel like doing at that time. If I'm wanting to be on a ship with family members, friends or something, then a cruise would be nice, but if I'm looking to be with my bf and it's just us, then maybe the land vacation to Bermuda would be the best thing.

The prices are comparable...

5 night Voyager vs. Elbow Beach Resort.....

Does the prie at Elbow Beach include transportation, meals and entertainment? DH and I have been going to Bermuda for 15 years - flying there 3 times and now crusing there 4 times. Over the years the cost of airfare, hotel room and especially meals has increased so much that IMHO it's much more cost effective to cruise there. Perhaps you should look into a 7 day rather than 5 day cruise if you want more time in Bermuda. Remember, too, that Bermuda is not that big and much can be seen and done in a short period of time. Regardless of what you decide, I know you'll enjoy it. Bermuda is our favorite vacation spot.

Thanks for your post, I was beginning to think I made a mistake booking the 5-night cruise on the Voyager. We've never been to Bermuda and this is a perfect way to see if we like it. Plus for the price we are paying it wouldn't matter if we just sailed around for 6 days. We love the voyager class ships so no matter what we will have a great time.

I did actually figure in airfare and A LOT of money for food and drinks....I can do 4 nights for about the same price as a Grand Suite on the ship....although I just found out that 1/2 of Elbow beach's rooms are renovated and 1/2 are not.....the ones I was pricing are not renovated.....the renovated ones are $200 more per night!:eek:

I don't know what to do! Maybe a different resort?

T

Archived