Some help and answers from a Barceloner

Ms. Bea,

Thank you for the priceless information re: Barcelona.

Would you be able to steer me in the direction of good quality, affordably price sea shell pearls? I've been to Barcelona twice and each time I didn't buy them. I am now on the hunt and won't leave until I have some packaged to bring home! They are outstanding and far exceed the quality of our best shell, faux or costume catagories.

When in Barcelona, I will be staying at the Hotel Bany's Oriential on Argenteria adjacent to Senyor Parellada's. Would you give me a perspective on what is in the area?

Again - thank you.

abreeze

1998 Vision of the Seas Med.

2000 Grand Princess Med

2007 VOS (9-15) Med

Question for Barcelona Lady.

What can you tell me about Castelldefels. We are considering staying at the Best Western there. Is the Castle their worth visiting? Any suggestions for Restaurants? Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dear Bea, Gunther and Uta,

Thank you so very much for all the information you have given on this thread. I join the others and say if you are ever in California, please do not hestitate to contact me ... I will be glad to share all that I know about my home state, and home city, Los Angeles.

We will be in your fair city in October at the end of a cruise on the Norwegian Gem. I have made reservations at the Regencia Colon, on C/Sagristans, 13-17. Are you, or anyone else reading this, familiar with this hotel? We are only able to stay one night. I have been to Barcelona many times, as have others in our group. I'd love to stay longer, but duty calls at home.

Again, thank you for providing so much useful information to everyone.

Denice

• 3 weeks later...

BCNlady;

Thanks so much for your information on Barcelona. My wife and I are spending one night at the Gran Havana hotel prior to our Oct 24 cruise. Do you have any knowledge of this hotel and any touring close by? It will be greatly appreciated.

Gracias,

Dennis

Hi Bea! You're thread here has wonderful information! Thanks for taking the time! I have 2 questions for you; what are your thoughts on the Hotel Jazz? and Have you by chance watched Samantha Brown's episode of passport to Europe on BCN? She was at a restaurant I believe Xampanyet? Can you tell me anything about that place? Thanks in advance for your time! We are planning on 2 nites pre-cruise in your beautiful town next October. :D Angel

Dear friends:

I have 365-day per year rooms at Casa Fuster which I use for visiting diplomats and businesspeople. Casa Fuster is a beautiful hotel -- almost like living in a Gaudi monument, since it is a building by another famous architect of the same era - Domenech i Montaner. Feel free to ask me any questions about Casa Fuster since I am quite well known there.

Within walking distance up Gran de Gracia, you have one of Barcelona's most famous seafood restaurants -- Botafumeiro. The hotel will make a reservation for you if you'd like to try it (I warn you while it is not a pretentious restaurant and it is not in a pretentious part of town, it is indeed quite expensive).

Right down one block on Paseo de Gracia there is a restaurant called Fernández -- sort of a chic, modern bistro/brasserie.

A few blocks from the hotel right below La Diagonal, going onto Calle Córcega and turning right walking down the pedestrian part of Calle Córcega, passing Rambla de Cataluña and between Rambla de Cataluña and Calle Balmes, there is a restaurant called Windsor. While it is not pretentious and formal to the extent that you need a suit and tie, it is quite a smart restaurant. It has Catalán cuisine. It is beautiful inside. High ceilings, looks onto a garden, etc. For 56 euros per person you get a full gastronomic tasting menu. Lots of creative courses plus dessert. Wine and beverages extra. I go there quite frequently.

Walking down Paseo de Gracia, inside the Majestic Hotel, you have the Drolma restaurant. Expensive and really nice -- it has a Michelin star. Smart attire required, although doesn't have to be suit and tie.

For casual dining, there are lots of Tapas bars up and down Paseo de Gracia. Also try the Mussol chain of casual Tapas bars/restaurants. Food quite good and reasonable.

The hotel staff are familiar with all of the restaurants. Just ask them for help if you need any more recommendations other than mine.

Also -- if you walk one block north from the Casa Fuster up Calle Gran de Gracia, on the left side you have a Consum supermarket, and right next to it an Opencor convenience store (owned by El Corte Inglés and open nearly all night) if you'd like to stock up on bottled water, cokes, orange juice, fresh breads, croissants and pastries, ice cream, fruit, snacks, toiletries, cellphones, DVDs, CDs, newspapers, magazines, etc.

The hop-on-hop-off bus stops right near the hotel (just ask the hotel staff they'll tell you the closest stop -- I do know it stops right in front of La Pedrera (Casa Mila) and that's only three blocks south).

Please let me know if I can be of any other help.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hello Gunther. After careful thoughts and reviews from other cruise members, I have booked a room at this Hotel and canceled my reservation at Hotel Majestic. I was only able to get a standard room and my question is do they upgrade you if there is a better room, (Not suite) available. Judging from the address, it should be in only a few blocks if that from the Majestic. Please email me at holmtwin@dc.rr.com as I have a few other questions. Thanks in advance. Maria

Hi Bea! You're thread here has wonderful information! Thanks for taking the time! I have 2 questions for you; what are your thoughts on the Hotel Jazz? and Have you by chance watched Samantha Brown's episode of passport to Europe on BCN? She was at a restaurant I believe Xampanyet? Can you tell me anything about that place? Thanks in advance for your time! We are planning on 2 nites pre-cruise in your beautiful town next October. :D Angel

It is El Xampanyet Bar

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/samantha-brown/guides/europe/barcelona.html

El Xampanyet Bar: This brightly lit, family run bar is one of the most popular places in town to enjoy some salty anchovies, the house specialty, with a glass of cava, a sparkling white wine.

Where: Montcada 22, Metro: Jaume I

• 4 weeks later...

This is a question for BCNLady or anyone else with information that would help. We are planning 3 nights post cruise in Barcelona next May. There are 6 of us and we want to stay in an apartment so we can all be together. What areas are good. Areas to avoid. Safe apts. w/ room enough to move around. Have checked internet and found several sights but don't know the areas well enough or reputable groups to choose wisely. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

Wow!

I've read every post and know what to do when I stay in Barca. But for you Bea - 1st, I am sorry for your loss, albeit a short while now, I am still sorry.

2nd - I will be in your city in July 2008, pre and post cruise. I will be traveling with children (2, 9, 12, 13) - all play club "soccer" (club name Juventus), we'd love to meet you & your son and kick around a ball. My husband & I also play, we are actually planning stadium trips while we are in Spain, Barca, Real, Valencia, etc before we head to Itlay to do the same (2y.o. is named Milan, yes, AC)

Regardless, your information has been amazing. I thank you

alwzrgt@hotmail.com - if you'd like

• 1 month later...
BCNlady, Your information has been invaluable! You covered everyone. Cigars for my husband, wine for me and pirates and ships for my 11 yr old son! How terrific is that? :) Please take a look at our 7/30 roll call. There is also an 11 yr old girl and many other children. Your children might like to see who they will be traveling with.

Can you recommend a few tapas bars and a few restaurants which you would consider "not to miss" if you were a visitor to Barcelona? We are staying 3 nights precruise at the Hotel Majestic on Paseo de Gracia. Thank you.

Bonnie

Hey Bonnie G !

SO. How was your trip? I'm on BOS out of Barcelona Sept 08. Any suggestions? Here's the big thing I need answered: If the ship docks at 5am, can I make a 9:00 flight to Madrid ?? Thanks for everything !

Lisa T

Hi,

I think it's great that this thread is still active. It started before our cruise of 7/30/06 in which Bea and her family were also on. I attempted to attach a picture of our last night on the Jewel where our roll call got together for a last dinner. Front left is Bea's father, then Bea's lovely mother, Bea's son, and then Bea(who is not looking at the camera). This is a truly remarkable family. Bea's parents brought 6 bottles of champagne to help celebrate the end of this wonderful cruise. I hope that Bea doesn't mind me mentioning this, but besides taking all this time helping people with their travels to Barcelona, she is also a physician who is raising her 3 young sons as a single mother after her husband passed away suddenly at a young age.

Cruiser 42, If you are flying Iberia, 9am might be a tight connection. I remember that the lines were very long to check in. I would see if you can get a flight at least 1 hour later.

726080395_medcruise7_30_06-252.jpg.da6a018c1e1a9735eee8ad0130e13071.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dear Bea, Gunther and Uta and everyone else who has contributed to the thread,

I read the entire thing. Great info. We will be in BCN 3 day post-cruise and looking forward to visiting BCN. We live in Chicago, so if I can return the favor for any info, you let me know.

Chris

Dear Bea, Gunther and Uta and everyone else who has contributed to the thread,

I read the entire thing. Great info. We will be in BCN 3 day post-cruise and looking forward to visiting BCN. We live in Chicago, so if I can return the favor for any info, you let me know.

Chris

Thanks for the offer.

Let me know if you need some other specific information about Barcelona.

Bea

Bea,

We will be visiting Barcelona for the first time in June '08. There will be 8 of us.

2 families. I have heard of a restaurant that serves fried artichokes. Do you know the name? I would love to check it out while we are there but the person that told us to go could not recall the name. Also, will we we have a hard time getting from the airport to our apartment with all our luggage without making prior arrangements for a group of 8? If you know of someone we could contact in advance to arrange transportation from airport to apartment and then from apartment to ship it would be great!

mil

This is a question for BCNLady or anyone else with information that would help. We are planning 3 nights post cruise in Barcelona next May. There are 6 of us and we want to stay in an apartment so we can all be together. What areas are good. Areas to avoid. Safe apts. w/ room enough to move around. Have checked internet and found several sights but don't know the areas well enough or reputable groups to choose wisely. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are in the same situation, but a Barcelona precruise 3-day stay in May. I've had good success with website VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) in US and am trying it for Europe (Barcelona, Venice). For both cities, I researched what we wanted to do and then looked at locations (especially in Venice where its plenty confusing and incredibly expensive for a hotel room!). In Barcelona we have a small 2-bedroom apartment on the street just north of Parc de la Ciutadella with elevator and concierge and walking distance to many things and convenient to touristic bus/metro/train to airport, etc., I think also the Picasso museum. The park also has the city zoo and I believe is just north of the aquarium (re your children) -- I didn't look at 3-bedroom apartments because we didn't need the space (and $), but if you are two couples you are going to want two primary bedrooms and not one couple sleeping on a couch! I hope that Bea will agree to the area, aparentlly there are many apartments in this area full of real residents and I would feel quite safe. I also found many local web sites for Barcelona apartments. Just one experience, we located a beautiful apartment nearby (recently gutted and finished as a jewel) but had the sense to ask about an elevator. The owners described 100+ steps up, which excluded it with our 50-lbs suitcases (and need to save energy for walking in city, not getting out of apartment).

Good luck, I think that an apartment is a great resource for a group with children in allowing flexibility, light meals, and if your children are on the young side, consider if a dvd player is available and bring some elements of home with you to occupy some of the rest/downtime.

David

We took our first cruise in October 2007 and departed from Barcelona. We stayed 1 day before the cruise and 2 days after the cruise. We really fell in love with your city and plan on going on another cruise in the fall of 2008. We will stay in Barcelona for a few days then also. We love the Bari Gothic area. We loved the tapas bars and walking through the winding streets and all the wonderful shops and well, can you tell that we really can't wait to return? We found a tiny little cafe, Catalina Cafe, in the Bari Gothic area and that is where we went for our morning coffee and the best homemade donuts we ever tasted! Walking La Ramblas was quite an experience and the Bocqueria was like nothing we'd ever seen. Barcelona is a real jewel of the Mediterranean! :)

Maiden,

Where did you stay? We are searching for a reasonably priced, small hotel near Los Ramblas and Gothic areas. We will arrive mid morning and depart the next afternoon, so expect to do most sight seeing on foot. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Can you please tell us what to expect in the city on All Saints Day traffic wise? We are debating booking a room at Pulitizer and a taxi to the ship OR booking hotel and transportation through Celebrity.

Also, the average price of taxi to port or airport seems to be about 30E

- is that per person????

Thank you very much for your time.

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
As promised these are my suggestions, they are all around the port/plaça Catalunya to make it easy for

TAPAS

CERVESERIA CATALANA Valencia St/Rambla Catalunya

near hotel Majestic and others aroun passeig de gràcia.

EUSKAL ETXEA or TXACOLIN (same owner) Placeta de Montcada

basq style tapas, you take what you like in the bar at the end you count how many tapas you had and pay for them. To drink ask for wine, txacolí (white basq wine), basq cydar or beer.

PINOTXO and all the bars inside the Boqueria market for a tapas lunch or quick mail. Not comfortable but funny and good quality.

QUIMET & QUIMET, Poeta Cabanyes 25 near paral.lel, this is a true must, you won't find any tourist over there. It's an old wine & spirits store where Quimets prepares his very personal and original tapas.

CAL PEP plaça de les olles 8 (near Sta Maria del Mar) tel 933107961. Pep decides what you are going to have, let him do... Tapas and good fish.

TRADITIONAL SPANISH AND CATALAN COOKING

CASA LEOPOLDO, Sant Rafael St 24 tel 934413014

My father's favourite. Long story in town. really good. Please go and leave with a taxi if you look like touirits,it's always better to prevent.

ESTEVET, Valldonzella 46 (near Ronda San Pedro) tel 933024186, curious place decorated with pictures of artists...

nice simple familiar cooking.

SENYOR PARELLADA, Argenteria 37 (Born quarter) 933105094

Heritates a long history family restaurant near Barcelona.

7 PORTES , Passeig Isabel II 14 TEL 933193032 very known and said to be the oldest in town. Good paellas.

AGUT, Gignés 16 (near via Laietana) 933151709. 75 years in town.

LA GARDUNYA just in the opposite main entrance of the Boqueria Market tel 933024323. More comfortable than bars inside the market.

FISH AND PAELLA RESTAURANTS

The first one is in the port and the rest at the Barceloneta, the old fishermen quarter of Barcelona. Try the rices, not only paella, black rice and lobster rice are tipically catalan. Parrillada is mixed grilled fish and zarzuela or suquet are sauced mixed fish, all delicious. Fresh Medditerranean fish is becoming luxurious and EXPENSIVE.

REIAL CLUB MARITIM DE BARCELONA Moll d'Espanya (in front of Maremagnum) tel 932216256 try to have the tables near the windows. If you go by night you will see the Mallorca ferry leaving from port.

CAN MAJÓ Almirall Aixada 23 tel 932215455. My father's favourite rice in town, paella, black rice or lobster rice. Take first a Pica-Pica, all kind of tapas-like in the middle of your table. Probably best deal than the others I suggest.

EL MERENDERO DE LA MARI Plaça Pau Vila. Palau de Mar tel 932216233. Very known. Terrasse on the sportive port.

SUQUET DE L'ALMIRALL Passeig Joan Borbó 65 tel 932216233

Also known.

I think I did a pretty good job, it's late now in Spain and even we are known for "siestas" I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and nothing about sleepin during my long worquing days. See you tomorrow

Bea

Bea ~ Thank you SO MUCH for this WONDERFUL list! My husband and I will be staying in an apartment on Carretera de la Boqueria in the Bario Gotico for a week following our cruise which ends 30-Nov-2008. There are MANY places which you've named here that we would love to try! Thanks again for all your hard work! :)

Archived