Some help and answers from a Barceloner

BCNLady, I read almost daily your posts in Cruise Critic but I do not know whether, being from Barcelona as I, you participate or not in Spanish forums like:

www.forocrucero.com/ or www.infocruceros.com/

I would like to meet you also there. I use always the same nickname.

I am unable to send you a private mail.

I have been "spying" infocruceros to prepare my NCL cruise. I even started a roll call post but had no succes.

I've found american posts more interesting, in fact they have years of experience!!

Then I found Cruise Critic, found a lovely american group that I met on board and the "some help..." has become my hobby. It's being the worse year in my life (I'm suddenly widow since March...). You all have become very important for me, you all are a big help for BCNlady.

In fact I was curious about you Normandie too, I am half Belgian, are you half french?

Bea

Thank you ACKC.

I'm always curious about the results of my suggestions.

When I walk every day the Ramblas up after work I wander if any of the tourists walking around are one of you.

Where you able to visit BCN after your "gastronomic" tour?

I took 3 Kg in my cruise in july, without precruisig, what about you?

Very happy hearing from you.

Bea

Hi Bea,

We also wondered walking around BCN if any of the people would turn out to be you. We would have loved to meet you. We saw a lot of BCN, but even with 4 days, it was not long enough. We did the HOHO bus, went to the Spanish Village at Monjuic, saw the dancing fountain, walked and shopped a lot and saw a performance of the opera. The theatre and performance were both incredible---one of the best we have been to. Yes, we both gained some weight! Thanks again for you wonderful information. All the best to you.

Sue

BCN Lady - we'll be in your beautiful city starting Nov 14 for 3 days before our TransAtlantic cruise. Thanks for all the information you've posted.

Do you know if the Barcelona Card works for the bus/train to Montserrat? And I assume the Bus Turistic is different from the Aerobus from the airport. If you had a choice would you take the train or the Aerobus from the airport to Placa Cataluyna?

Do you know if the Barcelona Card works for the bus/train to Montserrat? And I assume the Bus Turistic is different from the Aerobus from the airport. If you had a choice would you take the train or the Aerobus from the airport to Placa Cataluyna?

I don't think the Barcelona Card will work for Montserrat. It will only be valid to reach the Plaça Espanya station by metro or bus.

Bus Turistic is different than Aerobus. I will prefer this one to the train. There are having many problems with trains lately due to a high speed train works.

Remember a taxi will only cost 25-30€, even if bus runs well I will consider a cab with all the luggage.

This is the official site of public transport in Barcelona, look for the English version,

http://www.tmb.net/ca_ES/home.jsp

Have a nice stay and cruise. We are having beautiful weather for the moment.

Bea

We went to Montserrat October 25th pre-cruise Century TA. We took metro to the train station. There was a small Montserrat info kiosk with multi-lingual speakers. We told them what we wanted to do, they wrote the fare and info on a piece of paper which we handed to a man who took our euros and fed them into the ticket machine. Then we headed for the train track.

The train was on time, comfortable and clean. The trip was terrific. at the end of the line we boarded the cog railway up to Montserrat. It was a great trip and very worthwhile.

I suggest getting up the mountain as early as possible--to encounter less buslot tour groups. Take the funicular up to the top--incredibly beautiful and spiritual when not crowded. Wander around and explore. Don't waste your time sitting in the church for an hour waiting for the boys choir.

Just before 1pm, enter the church on the right side and stand at the gates which separate side altars from main church. you are about 2 feet higher than the main floor, giving you a clear view of the choir. As they finish their one song get in the then short line to view the Black Virgin. The line moves very fast just then, but not 10 minutes later!

Take the trip on your own and enjoy every aspect. The Barcelona Newsletter has great info http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/membership-area/newsletter-back-issues/newsletter-nov-2004.html

BCN lady,

I'm trying to get a phrase book to say at least "please, thank you, good day" etc. The only book I can find is Spanish. How different is Spanish from Catalan? A friend just got back from a cruise and had stayed in Barcelona for 2 days prior. She said they had the worst language problems while in Barcelona. She said they had trouble even ordering dinner as the waitress wasn't able to understand them. I would just like to be a courteous tourist. Any suggestions?

Thank you---Nancy

BCN lady,

I'm trying to get a phrase book to say at least "please, thank you, good day" etc. The only book I can find is Spanish. How different is Spanish from Catalan? A friend just got back from a cruise and had stayed in Barcelona for 2 days prior. She said they had the worst language problems while in Barcelona. She said they had trouble even ordering dinner as the waitress wasn't able to understand them. I would just like to be a courteous tourist. Any suggestions?

Thank you---Nancy

I cannot believe those problems were because of Catalan. Perhaps were due to the fact that must people working at the Ramblas restaurants and souvenir stores are Pakistans or Philipinos who don't speak Spanish or Catalan at all.

What I have to admit is that few people speak English.

More information about Catalan in the post Catalan/Spanish

Bea

We went to Montserrat October 25th pre-cruise Century TA. We took metro to the train station. There was a small Montserrat info kiosk with multi-lingual speakers. We told them what we wanted to do, they wrote the fare and info on a piece of paper which we handed to a man who took our euros and fed them into the ticket machine. Then we headed for the train track.

The train was on time, comfortable and clean. The trip was terrific. at the end of the line we boarded the cog railway up to Montserrat. It was a great trip and very worthwhile.

I suggest getting up the mountain as early as possible--to encounter less buslot tour groups. Take the funicular up to the top--incredibly beautiful and spiritual when not crowded. Wander around and explore. Don't waste your time sitting in the church for an hour waiting for the boys choir.

Just before 1pm, enter the church on the right side and stand at the gates which separate side altars from main church. you are about 2 feet higher than the main floor, giving you a clear view of the choir. As they finish their one song get in the then short line to view the Black Virgin. The line moves very fast just then, but not 10 minutes later!

Take the trip on your own and enjoy every aspect. The Barcelona Newsletter has great info http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/membership-area/newsletter-back-issues/newsletter-nov-2004.html

Thanks for your info!! Some questions:

How often are the trains to and from the Monastery?

What's the total cost by taking the train yourself? We have found several guided tours by bus to the Monastery for ~$50 Euro. Many required reservation 48 hours ahead.

Are there audio guides on cassette for the Monastery like they have in US museums?

Are there guided tours available on the Monastery grounds?

I also read that the boys choir only sings on 'somedays'. Do you have any details - e.g only certain weekdays and weekends?

Was it cold in Montserrat in October? Do you know if it will be much colder in December?

THANKS for your help!!!

• 1 month later...

Bea, I have missed reading your posts. :) I hope you'll come back and help me with a problem. I have been looking all over to find out the mass schedule for the Santa Anna Church. Would you happen to know the times they have mass there on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Many thanks, Bea.

of Tablao Flamenco Cordobes at Ramblas 35, 08002 Barcelona (Tel: 933175711). How long is the walk from the ship dock?

We have a stop this summer until 11:00pm and I'm considering making a reservation for Flamenco and dinner. I have been to Barcelona before (great city!) but not by ship. I am aware that Flamenco is not from this area and this is probably set up for tourists. Still, it might be fun since we are docked late. We do not want to miss the ship! This states dinner at 7:00pm and show at 8:15pm (the second show is 10:00pm so this has to be finished). Can we walk back to the ship. Its a buffet and possibly the same offered by the ship (but they are $129 to $139.00pp) and this is 60 euros direct. I think the other places I looked at were too late.

What do you know about this place?

http://www.tablaocordobes.com/

vs.

http://www.tablaodecarmen.com/

As some of you know, I also live in Barcelona and have lived here for many years.

While Bea and others including myself are happy to answer general questions about hotels, tours, restaurants, general things to do in our city, etc., I don't think it is fair to ask Bea to answer such questions as whether or not the Barcelona zoo has reptiles, what the mass schedule is at a specific church, at what exact time a certain train runs, where exactly can you purchase football tickets, etc.

Even though I live here too, I have enjoyed Bea's posts immensely, but some of you folks are asking her to be so well-rounded so as to be a football fan, a reptile expert and a devout church-goer.

Please, friends, remember that no one person can be Wikipedia.

That being said, I do hope that Bea will come back to the boards.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

web site for the Barcelona zoo. Don't worry, I can find it myself:)

It seemed a simple question to ask her son (I think she mentioned a son) as he would know if there was a reptile house. It does not require an expert. As for the person who wanted to know the Mass schedule that may not be something easily found, so would be a good question to ask a local to find out.

Also, I live in a port city (in the US) and have helped others with questions.

Jade:

Yours was just the last example. I wasn't singling you out. This has been going on for quite some time on this thread. And perhaps Bea feels quite otherwise and I know she doesn't mind, but I just feel sorry for her because some of the questions have gotten so specific that I can't imagine she has all of the information requested of her at her fingertips.

Anyway, since Bea has never complained about this, and this information thread was started by her, I just put in my own two cents which is just my opinion and with which she may not even agree.

I've been to the Barcelona zoo a few times, and I don't really remember (to tell you the truth) whether they have reptiles.

Anyway, the zoo in Barcelona (to the best of my knowledge) is not exactly world famous and, unless you have a good deal of time to spend here, there are probably more interesting things to do and see (just my opinion).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to fill in for Bea, since she doesn't seem to be around lately.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I have been looking all over to find out the mass schedule for the Santa Anna Church. Would you happen to know the times they have mass there on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

You can find the mass schedule at

http://sun1.arqbcn.org/cgi-bin/nd_CGI_50/consultajsp/Santoral?accion=conEucaristia&parroquia=182&ca=0

For other churches you can start your search at http://www.arqbcn.org/ , the homepage of the Archdioceses of Barcelona.

I have been looking all over to find out the mass schedule for the Santa Anna Church. Would you happen to know the times they have mass there on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

You can find the mass schedule at

http://sun1.arqbcn.org/cgi-bin/nd_CGI_50/consultajsp/Santoral?accion=conEucaristia&parroquia=182&ca=0

For other churches you can start your search at http://www.arqbcn.org/ , the homepage of the Archdioceses of Barcelona.

Hi again,

I had no idea you missed me!

I've been very busy from November and had no time for boards. In fact I will have difficult to help until end February.

It has been nice to see you remembered me. Thanks Gunther, but sometime looking for answers I've discovered many facts I've forgot about my city.

I'll try for Santa Anna, it's an original question and it's easy from my work to get there. But as long as I can remember it is not a special one inside.

My children love reptiles at the zoo, but I don't know if it will be enough for a "connaisseur".

For next summer I'm trying to do a land based travel to East Canada. If someone could help it would be great.

Bea

I am new to cruise critic in the past two weeks and honestly didn’t even look at the string until you said something. I agree some folks have a very long list of questions.

Re the zoo, I agree there are better things to do. In fact, I am planning on going to Girona and to the Dali Museum, and paying for the ships tour since my husband and daughter have no interest. I am looking for something for them to do as they hate museums (I know I know, I have been to the Picasso museum and Miro Foundation.). They like ruins etc., just don’t like being inside. Perhaps I should send them to Guell Park, I know there is a lizard by Gaudi.

As far as the zoo, they have Red Foot Tortoises, but I see them in my home each day, they are fabulous long lived pets. I don’t know who put together the zoo web site and info but if they have an Asian Water Dragon (green) that has lived over 20 years that is a world record…

Glad to see Bea posting again--she is so nice to help and it is a worry when someone who posts often doesn't post for a while. There are many "local experts" on CC who become friends (even if it's electronically), and you hope they haven't gotten sick, etc., just like you would with the neighbors next door!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again,

I had no idea you missed me!

I've been very busy from November and had no time for boards. In fact I will have difficult to help until end February.

It has been nice to see you remembered me. Thanks Gunther, but sometime looking for answers I've discovered many facts I've forgot about my city.

I'll try for Santa Anna, it's an original question and it's easy from my work to get there. But as long as I can remember it is not a special one inside.

My children love reptiles at the zoo, but I don't know if it will be enough for a "connaisseur".

For next summer I'm trying to do a land based travel to East Canada. If someone could help it would be great.

Bea

I have been enjoying the questions and answers here and our family trip is not until July this year. I have learned much! Please ask me any questions on Canada. I am not sure how far east you are planning. It is my adopted country...I am here more than my homeland! My Spanish is rough now after not using it since 1976 here with being assigned to Spanish policies in the US. I love this country and enjoy boasting about it. We live in Toronto, but I escape East and West (though not now with the weather!) when I need a break. So I can relate to as far as NewFoundland where my Uncle raised his children. I love Quebec (my children are bi-lingual, with French versus my Spanish of youth, and my Mother and Grandmother's Dutch and Chinese) and Nova Scotia as well as New Brunswick where we have our own only truly bi-lingual place. Even if you had said West, the same Uncle now lives in Coquitlam while my Aunt moved from Hong Kong to Vancouver.

Archived