Some help and answers from a Barceloner

We had tapas at a restaurant right off Las Ramblas, and our waiter was Italian. He traveled all over the world and decided to make Barcelona his home, and I can see why he chose this city. He suggested and served us both hot and cold tapas, along with regional white and red wines. we had a great time, and are planning another trip to Barcelona next spring.

Barb

Hello Barb, do you remember the name of this restaurant and where it was? Thanks and have a good night.

The Millenium 10/17 from Venice docks at Barcelona on Saturday, 10/28 at 2 p.m., and disembarks (unloads) on Sunday, 10/29 at 8 a.m. I'm sure all of us are wondering how best to spend our time in your great city.

We were thinking of using the Celebrity Monserat tour on Sunday morning with a drop off at our hotel early Sunday afternoon. And then take the hop on/hop off bus Sunday afternoon. Would this make sense, or is there a reason to go or not to go to Monserat on Sunday morning, and to go or not to go hop on/hop off on Sunday afternoon ?

Does it make sense to try a 4 hour private tour on Saturday afternoon from 2:30-6:30 p.m. as far as traffic, and what is open or not ?

How far is Parc Guel from the port or Las Ramblas ? I'm having trouble finding it on my map of Barcelona. (Maybe it is outside of Barcelona.)

We appreciate your expert guidance by "one who knows" !!!!

Hi Bea and other cruisers, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the info posted on this thread as we are in Barcelona pre-cruise on Oct.26-28th, 2006. Your detailed info has answered alot of my questions but I have been waiting for a question on how to get to Torres winery. Is the only way to rent a car for the day? If so any advice about renting or getting to the winery? Thank you--Chargap

Your detailed info has answered alot of my questions but I have been waiting for a question on how to get to Torres winery. Is the only way to rent a car for the day? If so any advice about renting or getting to the winery? Thank you--Chargap

Torres is just 100 meters from Las Ramblas. It is not the known Torres producer (wich is placed in California too), it's just the same name.

Your detailed info has answered alot of my questions but I have been waiting for a question on how to get to Torres winery. Is the only way to rent a car for the day? If so any advice about renting or getting to the winery? Thank you--Chargap

I've just been diving in the web and Bodegas Torres has an excelent site with English version. They offer gratuite visit with taste. It's located in Vilafranca del Penedes a 40 minutes easy highway ride from Barcelona.http://www.torres.es

[

BCN lady, my husband was in the US Navy back in the 60's and has been talking about Los Caracoles for over 40 years

How fun, tell your husand it looks just as he can remember. I had a dinner with friends yesterday, they had been there a year ago and told me anything had changed.

Bea

Hi Bea,

I saw your other post about Sergi Arola and his restuarant in Hotel Arts. We have made a reservation and will report back after our trip. I saw this on the elBulli website. Do you know if this is a restaurant of Ferran Adrias?

Thanks.

Carmen 15-17 entlo 2a. 08001 Barcelona (Spain)

tel (34) 933 425 616

fax (34) 933 174 121

video (34) 933 426 153

e-mail: carmen@elbulli.com

www.elbulli.com elbullicarmen.gif

Hi Bea,

I saw your other post about Sergi Arola and his restuarant in Hotel Arts. We have made a reservation and will report back after our trip. I saw this on the elBulli website. Do you know if this is a restaurant of Ferran Adrias?

Thanks.

Carmen 15-17 entlo 2a. 08001 Barcelona (Spain)

tel (34) 933 425 616

fax (34) 933 174 121

video (34) 933 426 153

e-mail: carmen@elbulli.com

www.elbulli.com elbullicarmen.gif

Sergi Arola spent a time learning with Ferran Adria. He's having a great succes and has opened a new restaurant in Madrid. Ferran Adrià only has his restaurant El Bulli in Rosas (more than 6 months waiting list...).

I will be without PC for ten days, hope I will find a lot on the post when back,

Bea

SASSET,

i will be in barcelona in a few weeks and will be visiting the Montserrat. I will report back how it went and any tips or advice i come across. Look for my review about my cruise and visit to barcelona when i get back (back in the U.S. on sept. 22nd)

NJTOM

Hi! I cannot remember the name of the tapas restaurant. We stayed at the H-10 Universitat hotel and my husband told me it was 2 blocks up the street on the corner very near the Passeig de Gracia, which is a wonderful area. The H-10 HOtel is at the top of the Placa de Cataluyna. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Barb

Hi! I cannot remember the name of the tapas restaurant. We stayed at the H-10 Universitat hotel and my husband told me it was 2 blocks up the street on the corner very near the Passeig de Gracia, which is a wonderful area. The H-10 HOtel is at the top of the Placa de Cataluyna. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Barb

We will try and look for it! Thanks a lot.:)

Have a nice week end!

Hi again

At the end of my cruise on the 6th October my flight is not until 5.30pm so will not need to check in at the airport until around 2.30-3.30. and am wonder how to solve the problem of my baggage.

Whilst on Galaxy in May when we were in Rome everyone was disembarked very early much earlier than was necessary. Previously we have taken been taken on a tour before transfer to the Airport.

Now it seems that they want you off the ship really early. We have booked our own flights so therefore will be doing our own transfer. I am not sure just how late we can leave the ship. What can we do with the baggage in the interim? Any ideas?

keela1eva2

I read on a roll cal that someone had the same issue. They took a cab to the airport and in the central area on the left as you come in the front door there is a luggage center with very large lockers. They cost 4.5 euros per locker. They took the airporter bus back in to the city for 1.75 euros per person and walked around for a while then returned to the airport by bus. Hope this can help.

Have a nice day!

I think Boppen is talking is "Ciudad Condal" on the corner of Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes and Rambla Catalunya. And on the opposite corner There is "La Tramoia" with good tapas too.

I don't think the schedules for Montserrat are seasonal as there is a lot of Spanish people going there all during the year. Perhaps the last trains in the evening because of shorter days will change.

Bea

Hi again

At the end of my cruise on the 6th October my flight is not until 5.30pm so will not need to check in at the airport until around 2.30-3.30. and am wonder how to solve the problem of my baggage.

Whilst on Galaxy in May when we were in Rome everyone was disembarked very early much earlier than was necessary. Previously we have taken been taken on a tour before transfer to the Airport.

Now it seems that they want you off the ship really early. We have booked our own flights so therefore will be doing our own transfer. I am not sure just how late we can leave the ship. What can we do with the baggage in the interim? Any ideas?

Here's how we solved the problem:

We took a taxi to Estacio Franca - 12 euros from cruise terminal.

There they have nice lockers (we needed 2 for our luggage).

From there we walked around the corner to metro station (bought 1-day passes which are valid for all busses, metros and trains - 5 euros).

Took metro to La Sagradad Familia (Barceloneta-Passeig de Gracia-Sagrada Familia). After wanderin inside and high in tower we took bus 19 to Plaza Catalunya. Walked the Ramblas and then walked back to Estacio Franca. From there we took the new train line (10) to airport.

Total cost of transportation 22 euros (taxi was 12 and 5 euros each for day-tickets). Our flight was leaving at 3:15 pm.

We are three 50's aged teachers who will arrive on the cruise ship on a Saturday in October. The ship docks early in the morning. We are staying that night at the Hotel Monte Carlo on La Ramlba. We will have that whole day to see Barcelona. We leave the next morning on our flight back ti the US.

What type of schedule or sights would you recommend for us to see on the Saturday we disembark? Some walking is fine - but we would need other transportation for longer distances.

Thanks for your help!!

Hello....we will be in Barcelona on the 19th of Sept. and leave on a cruise Sept 20. Is there a store near Las Ramblas that can send a gift basket to our ship with scotch or whiskey in it? Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi thanks for the advice regarding baggage and disembarkation with evening flights.

Either would be a good solution I will discuss it with my friend who is travelling with me and then decide. Can do this nearer the time.

Once again many thanks

Sue

Thank you, Bea. I've just read through all the posts, and your information is really helpful.

DH and I arrive early afternoon on November 6 for the November 7 sailing of the Brilliance transatlantic. We're staying at the Hotel Continental Palacete. The more I read the more I wish we were arriving even earlier than November 6th, but that simply wasn't possible.

Here's my question. Given that it's our first visit to Barcelona and that we'll be very tired from our overnight flight and that we'll only have the late afternoon and the early morning of the next day....with all of that in mind, what one thing should we try to see and/or do?

I've been reading lots of information and just can't decide whether it's best simply to walk down Las Ramblas or try a HOHO bus or something else.

Thank you.

Beth

Jontally:

Hey, are you on our cruise on the Brilliance leaving September 20th? If you are, please come join us on the meet and mingle site and join us!

I haven't been to Barcelona yet but after a year of researching I sleep with a picture of Old Barcelona in my mind! The big department store, El Cortes, is right at the top of Las Ramblas on the eastern side of Plaza Catalunya. From what I have read, it reminds me of Harrods in London, so I bet they could do what you wanted. But one question. I don't drink, but will the cruise lines, even if a gift basket, allow one to bring their own booze or wine onboard? I thought if it were purchased that they hold it for you until you leave the ship and disembark. Just a thought to consider.

Pooh

Hi Bea - I add my thanks to those of the others. You have been very helpful. We will be in Barcelona Sept 24 - 25 which I understand is during the La Merce Festival. We are thinking that this is a special treat for us to experience even if it means missing some or all of the other things we had planned. Any help you can give with how to best enjoy the festival, what to be sure to see or do there, and what should be given a low priority will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again, Judy

Archived