Some help and answers from a Barceloner

I have a very slow internet connection right now, but look for an official barcelona website.

You can enjoy the "Correfoc", drakes and diamons in fire on the streets and a light and sound show the last day at plaza Espanya.

Next Wensday I'll be able to give you more information.

Bea

I have a question concerning hotels and transportation. I am looking to stay one night before my Transatlantic cruise in November at the Hotel Continental Palacete. What form of transportation would you recommend from the airport to the hotel?? If you recommend a bus or train, can you walk with a couple of bags to the hotel from the transportation stop?? Would a cab be the best option to the ship the next day?? How much would that cost??

Laura

:o Hi Bea,

Thanks for all the information you have been providing - it is so helpful.

I have been looking at a hotel near the Sants metro station for a one

night pre cruise stay. Could you please tell me if this is a good, safe area and how far away it is from the Las Ramblas area. Thanks.

WOW, thanks BCN Lady and everyone else for the Barcelona Primer! Can someone help tell me what time I should look for a flight returning home after the cruise? The Brilliance itinerary says we arrive at 5 am and I'm guessing a couple of hours before we can get off; then transport to the airport, etc. Would appreciate any pointers as we begin to figure out what we should look for in the way of air arrangements........

Also, I saw a question about Hotel Continental but I couldn't find the response........I've read all 7 pages over and over to no avail..........can someone point me to it?

Cruising Forever:

We will be returning to Barcelona on the Voyager of the Seas on September 30th and we booked our air through RCCL Custom Air. I was told by the Custom air people that they do not book a return flight that leaves before 10:30 AM (ours leaves at 11:30 AM) because it could be too tight getting to the airport in time. Since they are doing the transfer from the ship to the airport and I we would get priority disembarkation, if I were booking air on my own, I think I would not book any flight that leaves before 11:30 or noon. In fact, I think I would shoot for something more like 1:30. I will be able to tell you more after we get back (which I will do). You may consider hanging around Barcelona for an extra day, if you can, to take the pressure off.

Can't help you with the Hotel Continental. Sorry.

Crewmates, thanks that's a HUGE help.........any idea which airlines they will allow me to choose from for custom air? We'd have the transfers as well but I just wasn't sure what the earliest flight time should be, but now we do :)

We're coming in a few days ahead of the cruise, but plan to head straight back after the cruise.

Cruising Forever-

Without Custom Air, they pick the airlines and give you the schedules. They will probably pick Continental or such unless you go with Custom Air. For several reasons, we refused Continental (even if it was non-stop to BCN) so we went with Custom Air. If they had offered Delta, we may have gone with it unless they had us going from Los Angeles to Atlanta to Miami to Barcelona or something similar. With Custom Air, you get to select which Airline you want. We wanted to go BA. No problem going but on the return, they said they would have to charge us an extra $260 or so if we wanted to return on BA. Another option was Air France for about $45.00 extra. I took the Air France. With Custom Air, they charge you $75.00 per person for the special arrangements (unless you are C & A Platinum or above. At the time we booked, we were not Platinum so we were charged the $75.00 per person. However, we later became Platinum, called them, and they credited us the $150.00 for both of us). They had some kind of promotion on air going on when we booked so we didn't do too badly on the air fare. Well, to make a long story longer, they screwed up our return. When we received our docs, they had us booked leaving LAX twice with no return. We called them and pointed out the error. When they checked, the Air France return was no longer available so they offered a return flight on BA (which we would have liked originally) at no extra cost. I was one happy cruiser. It ended up costing us about $750 round trip each for the air fare which includes the airport transfers. I probably could have save a bit by booking the air myself but, what the heck. Throw all the responsability on RCI. Like you, we are going in to Barcelona 3 days before the cruise and leaving the same day the ship docks, so we will only be using the ship to airport transfer.

If you allow them to set up your airflights without Custom Air, you will probably have multiple stops. It could be a very long trip. As it is, we are going Los Angeles to Heathrow to Barcalona. The reverse occurs on the return trip. I don't mind this as I am hoping they have a Pub on the concourse where I can have a pint or two of Newcastle or something between flights.

Hope this helps.

We're staying at the Hotel Continental Palacete pre-cruise in November. I have a question about using a hair dryer and curling iron. I emailed the hotel but have had no response. I know the building is old so wonder about the wiring and if dual voltage hair dryer/curling will work. Hoping someone might have stayed there before and can answer my question.

Hi Bea,

You are so kind to give your time and knowledge to us foriegners:)

We will be in Barcelona on the 16th of September and staying at the Apsis Atrium Hotel until the 20th, we will then be on a cruise aboard BOS. I want to try something different. I usually get my hair cut, colored and blow dryed (straight) before any vacation, but since we will be in your beautiful city for a few days, can you recommend a hair salon and/or spa. Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Joyce

Sometimes it's taken a few days to get a response from the folks at the location on Las Ramblas, so maybe they will answer soon :)

When I made my reservation the responses were instantaneous. I've emailed 2x's about the hair appliances with no response. I'm thinking they might not want to comment. :confused: so am hoping someone who has stayed there might be able to help me.

I want to try something different. I usually get my hair cut, colored and blow dryed (straight) before any vacation, but since we will be in your beautiful city for a few days, can you recommend a hair salon and/or spa. Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

I think Aqua Diagonal is a good spa, near the Barça Stadium and the comercial area in the Diagonal. You can get there with the L3 metro Palau reial.

The most known hair dressers in Barcelona are Cebado and Llongueras.

Here you have links:

http://www.aquadiagonal.com

http://www.cebado.es

http://www.llongueras.es

I didn't know your hotel but it looks excellent and in good location.

As you are staying some days, why don't you visit Girona? It's a beatiful town near a river with a jewish quarter well preserved, cathedral and arab baths.

It's 75 min train ride from Passeig de Gracia Station and easy walkable.

http://www.ajuntament.gi/turisme/

Think about it.

Take an umbrella, we are having heavy storms for the moment!!

Bea

Hi Bea,

Thanks for answering back so quickly. The web sites you gave me are wonderful and I think I am going to try the Aqua Salon. We might also try to visit Girona.

Bea if you ever come to New York and need any recommendations/advice, etc, feel free to contact me, here is my email address: jgm829@aol.com

Joyce

Bea,

Thank you so much for the offer of "last minute help". Through the answers you have already given to previous posters on this thread, I think you have pretty much answered all of our questions. You have been such a big help to all of us.

Yes, we will be in your beautiful city on Wednesday of next week. We are so excited and looking forward to visiting the places you have mentioned. I have printed a number of your recommendations to take with us(especially the restaurants) and hope to try a few.

In the meantime, if we do think of any last minute questions, we will be back to you with them. And after we return from our visit, we will be sure and let you know how things went and will probably have more questions.

Again, we thank you.

My husband and I will be in Barcelona next week cruising with Crewmates on the VOS and all the information you have provided is tremendously helpful. This is our first trip overseas and are so excited. You are most gracious in taking time to answer all the questions posed to you. I am printing out all the info you gave us. We are staying at the Hotel Jazz in Las Ramblas area and will take your advice not to eat there so we will find one of the fine suggestions of places to eat at! We do want to see Gaudi's cathedral, shop, taste the food, buy some wine. Is there somewhere we can go to get a good view of barcelona and take a panoramic picture? Once again thanks Bea for all your help, and hey you can always join us for a drink on the rooftop of the Hotel Jazz on Sept 21. Just give the hotel a call to see if we have checked in!:)

Cheryl and Mark Moreland

We're staying at the Hotel Continental Palacete pre-cruise in November. I have a question about using a hair dryer and curling iron. I emailed the hotel but have had no response. I know the building is old so wonder about the wiring and if dual voltage hair dryer/curling will work. Hoping someone might have stayed there before and can answer my question.

I stayed at the Hotel Continental which is a bit lower down on Las Ramblas. They are owned by the same people. I had no trouble with voltage as they had voltage for both North America and Europe.

Hope this helps.:)

There are a number of us staying at the Hotel Continental and will all be going to the port at the same time on the same day. Is there a shuttle or limo service that you could recommend? We're thinking that would likely be less expensive than each couple taking a taxi. There are 4 couples that we know of right now and will probably have more as time gets closer.

We'd also be interested in hearing recommendations for the airport to hotel run for just a couple at time as well.............thanks in advance :) You're a HUGE help to us!

Bea thak you so much for all your help and advice regarding my brief stay in your beautiful city.

Despite only being there 1 night on this occassion it is good to find out about many things of interest.

I have been happy with the hotel I have booked and I will post my opinion when I return. Olivia Plaza and I called today to confirm and also to ask for a room with a view.

Of interest my friend June who is travelling with me has had an upgrade from a Balcony cabin to a Suite. Needless to say she is delighted. Our cruise is full and she paid a 100% single supplement. I have chosen to travel in an inside on a high deck and I would rather use the extra money for other things. I also had a single supplement but not 100% She will have a Butler and has invited me to share in the champagne and the other perks. I have done all the booking etc so will be very happy to take her up on this.

Good luck to all of your out there and once more many thanks Bea for all your help.

Sue

There are a number of us staying at the Hotel Continental and will all be going to the port at the same time on the same day. Is there a shuttle or limo service that you could recommend? We're thinking that would likely be less expensive than each couple taking a taxi. There are 4 couples that we know of right now and will probably have more as time gets closer.

We'd also be interested in hearing recommendations for the airport to hotel run for just a couple at time as well.............thanks in advance :) You're a HUGE help to us!

We are used to travel in a large family group and we always use TRANSBUCA services. They have always done very good service for us.

http://transbuca.com (in English!)

info@transbuca.com

For only a couple I think a taxi is the best option. It will cost you 25-30€.

Bea

Archived