15% list shown on Interactive (Crown) cruise ship rolling

Sandytoes

If it was 15% or 30% it was still a tramatic event for all of us who were aboard.My wife and I were on the Ledo deck andeverything in the room went flying at my wife. If not by the grace of God I caught the T.V. before it landed on her.And if you have never been through somthing like this on a mega cruise ship then please keep your coments to yourself and just pray for those that were hurt both physicaly and mentaly. It will be an ordeal that will not be forgotten.If anyone has any questions about the cruise please feel free to ask.

Scoruntt

The majority of us here don't feel that way and do sympathize with you. Those of us that were on the Star know exactly how you feel and understand the shock and emotions that you are going through.

Please don't let some posters get to you. The majority of people on here are tremendous, they really are. There will be a few that are obnoxious so just ignore them.

You know, it was a big deal. I was on the ship with smart, funny people who were terrified. People that you would trust to tell it like it is. The accounts are 100% dead on. I would not wish this, "little deal" on my worst enemy.

Btw, I did book the Crown this morning for next spring. They let me book like I was on the ship, with the $100.00 down and the credit. Very nice of them. I was planning to do it yesterday.

The height of the ship is 195 ft, you're not in a little dingy. So, when it's 15 degree's a list it is a very big deal.....

The higher on the ship the more you feel a list.

This was a serious tilt, there were injuries and obviously the people that were on the ship were terrified.

So how in the world can someone say it wasn't a very big deal....

- - - - - - - - - -

(You're very welcome)

Chris

Of course it wasn't.......you weren't there....were you??:rolleyes:

I’m sorry to go off topic but the logic inherent in this post escapes me. There are plenty of us who weren’t on Crown Princess – as this thread testifies – who can imagine that this was a very big deal. I don't think the ship was in danger of capsizing and I don't think it was going to sink, but all the same I think that it might have been a harrowing experience for some - which considering that I'm usually accused of stating invalid opinions when I don't have any experience, makes that opinion worthless, according to the statement...right? Why do posters here insist that physical experience is the only way anyone can have an opinion – valid or not? As soon as someone states an opinion that goes against the throngs it’s the same old “you weren’t there so you don’t know” response. Seems we could all come up with something more clever, couldn’t we?

Back to your topic.

It was with shock and total concern as we watched the news of the "list". I for one do think its a big deal. I'm glad that injuries were as little and no one fell overboard or there were fatalities. I hope everyone on board will total recover My prayers are with you.

When we were on the Tahitian Princess we had very rough sea and one night we were hit with a Hugh Wave. It was at night after a long day of Gale 8 force winds. So all outside decks were already closed. And most of us were in bed for the night. When the wave hit The ship did a big roll and the TV did slide! Most of the stuff on the dresser was totally to one side or on the floor. Let me say I had my emergency fanny pack (recommend by CC postings) in hand and was ready to go to Muster stations. The Capt came on and said we were in no danger. This was just a wave I can't imagine how scary a list would be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisecastle

Just goes to show you it really was not that big of a deal

We arrived home mid-afternoon Wednesday following our experience on the Crown. We were blessed to be in our cabin when it happened and that we were together so we didn't have to search for eachother. I have just got the nerve to get on here and read the posts. Let me just say that this quote not only brought me to tears but also appaled me!!

You have no idea how much of a "big deal" it was. I would never wish this experience on anyone but trust me you would have had to be there to realize just how "big of a deal" it was. Don't post opinions of how bad or not so bad of an experience you think it was. After two nights of continuos nightmares and waking up in a cold sweats..I hope to have a decent night of sleep tonight. When I close my eyes, I still fill myself falling and the fear immediately grabs hold until I realize I'm not there anymore. Yes, the crew and Princess handled the situation better than most probably would. But it still does not make it any less of an experience. Maybe other people find it "not such a big deal" to walk into a corridor and see bones sticking out of limbs, blood everywhere, people collapsed on the floor and holding their head in pain, and people crying and shaking from shock, but as for me that is a VERY BIG DEAL! I'm sure those who for that grueling amount of time could not find their babies would also agree with me. I started not even to give this type of ignorant quote a response but everything in me just wanted to scream. I fared better than most and I know that is a blessing from God. He watched out for us. My prayers are with those injured as well as those who like me will have trouble forgetting the situation. This is an emotionally traumatic experience even if you were not injured physically. I have been on several cruises and consider myself well traveled and adventurous for a 28 year old but it will be a long while before I can bring myself to cruise again. I realize this is an individual choice and would not want to force this opinion on anyone. My caution would just be..know that these things can happen and when they do they do so without warning. Keep a close watch on where your family is on a cruise. I pray that this "BIG DEAL" never happens again.

Just goes to show you it really was not that big of a deal.

What makes you think that . . . I was on Deck 16, starboard side, 6-8' from the outer railing and my chaise lounge would have slid all the way to the railing if it were not for the couple of chaises between. As it was I had to work really hard, stumbling and crawling to get to the inner railing overlooking the pool (which was in the process of emptying itself and its contents every which way) to grab on. Yes, there were even some big, brawny, macho men screaming in terror. More than one yelling, "we're going over" or "she's going down." Blood, screaming, crying, panic, injuries . . . no, no big deal . . . :confused:

Actually as the incident last week proves it really isn't that bad with only 1/2 of 1 percent receiving notable injuries.

Your math is off. 200 injured, of say 3000 passengers & 1000 crew, that's 5% injured.

Maybe Im missing something because I did not see a ship listing 15 degrees - but I did notice that Andy Proctor was the captain - I have sailed with him and have absolute confidence in him - he does not have to be on the bridge at all times - but there is no way he would deliberately put passengers in danger -

Also we were on the Diamond this spring crossing the Tasman sea and we rocked and rolled for 2 days - go to my album and see it:

http://elizabeth-lewis.magix.net/

it was scary - but no one complained - everyone knew it was an act of nature - but I don't know about the Crown - well I live out west and the Crown is not on my list - good luck to those nor-easters who want to sail her.

I can't help myself...............I just keep clicking on it, and clicking on it, and clicking on it............like I expect somehow that THIS time it won't tilt all the way over like that...........

Listen to Gail, and slpklc, and scoruntt, and Nancy and me.............this was a VERY BIG DEAL indeed.

As others have said, there was certainly a moment when you thought, "this is NOT stopping and we ARE going over!"

:( When you think you are going to die, along with your loved ones and friends, it is a very big deal.

When you are enjoying yourself one minute, and the next are in fear of your life and your limbs - it is a very big deal.

When you see people injured and bleeding and people being carried off your pleasure cruise ship on stretchers - it is a very big deal.

I can believe that many who sailed on that ship will suffer trauma for years and many might never sail again. I was not there and we almost cancelled our cruise set for September, but we did not and hope that now Princess will be extra vigilant to keep this from happening again. However, if this happened to me while I was on a mega-cruise ship - well, I don't know if I would ever be able to get on a cruise ship again. My heart goes out to all who were on the ship and injured in body and mind. What galls me the most, as most automobile accidents always do, is that this may be down to human error, which is inexcusable in my humble opinion.

If this has something to do with autopilot and software, then please, turn it off!

Maybe Im missing something because I did not see a ship listing 15 degrees - but I did notice that Andy Proctor was the captain - I have sailed with him and have absolute confidence in him - he does not have to be on the bridge at all times - but there is no way he would deliberately put passengers in danger -

Also we were on the Diamond this spring crossing the Tasman sea and we rocked and rolled for 2 days - go to my album and see it:

http://elizabeth-lewis.magix.net/

it was scary - but no one complained - everyone knew it was an act of nature - but I don't know about the Crown - well I live out west and the Crown is not on my list - good luck to those nor-easters who want to sail her.

This was not rocking and rolling due to weather, this was terryfing. Andy Proctor did a wonderful job and most of us who were on her agree.

It's easy to say, "well I've been through rough seas" so have I. This cruise was somewhere around number 20 for me. This was not like any rough seas I've experienced. We really did think it was going to roll to its side and not recover.

Sea Trials:

sten-heel.gif

The Pacific Ocean, Apr. 20, 2001 — USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) conducts high-speed steering and manuevering checks off the southern California coast following a seven-month maintenance period. Suchs tests are necessary to ensure that all systems function properly in emergency situations as well as under routine conditions.

Don't take this wrong. I have been there and done that (and far worse in my 20 years in the navy). The difference being is a ship like the Stennis (roughly the same size as a large cruise ship) is "Secured for Sea". I'm not belittling your experiance at all but what we have to keep in mind is that even though cruise ships are designed to do just as the Stennis is doing in the photo, they are not prepared to do it at a moment's notice. With that said, you should remember that you are at sea on a ship and they can and will move. Some things to remember (and I've posted this before), secure ALL loose articles in your staeroom when not in use (that includes those bottles of perfume, that camcorder you just left on the dresser and anything else. Check your stateroom when you board. If you see something that can become a "Missile Hazzard", as your room steward to have it fixed. Outside of your stateroom, be aware of your suroundings and be prepared for any sudden shift especially in rough seas. Cruise ships are full of "Missile Hazzards" and there is no getting around it. If the thought of these things is too much to take, perhaps a vacation on the beaches of St. Thomas would be better (just don't forget that airplane you take there can and will experiance "bumpy air". Have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

Yet another example:

Carrierturning.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-19-cruise_x.htm

on the above link there there is an interactive picture of a ship these are just interactive they are not actual pictures. After clicking on the site you will see a real picture of the ship at the edge of dark. under that picture is the interactive picture that says make the ship tilt, when clicking that the interactive ship will tilt 15 degrees and back again.

Archived