Chair Hogs

giambotto

I agree...when people get up at the crack of dawn and claim a chair with their belongings and then go back to sleep, that is a problem. If someone uses their chair in the morning and then goes to the spa, then goes and takes a nap and leaves their belongings, again...a problem. That is not what I am talking about. But, some people of this board don't care what you are doing. If you are not sitting in your chair for 30 minutes, even if you are in the pool, they will take it. I think that is wrong as well!

It would seem to me that, in light of the "30 minute" rule you would make sure you haul yourself out of the pool and spend some time on the chair. People looking for a chair have no idea where you are or what you are doing. If a chair is empty for 30 minutes it's theirs if they want to claim it.

It would seem to me that, in light of the "30 minute" rule you would make sure you haul yourself out of the pool and spend some time on the chair. People looking for a chair have no idea where you are or what you are doing. If a chair is empty for 30 minutes it's theirs if they want to claim it.

Now that makes sense - why didn't 99 think of that?

Ron

Now that makes sense - why didn't 99 think of that?

Ron

Actually, she did and she mentioned it several times. I don't like her attitude of "when in Rome do as the Romans" either, but from what I can see in her posts, she seems to be a moderate chair hog that only does it when there is plenty of chairs available in the area anyway.

I am really glad that chair hogging isn't an issue for me, because you won't find me looking for a chair by the pools anyway. I'll never understand why people have to sit in the chlorine vapors from the pools while having to put up with the constant noise. There are always plenty of chairs available where I can enjoy hearing the waves and smelling the sea air.:) I might leave my things on a chair while I go to the bathroom, but never longer than that.

Merion Mom...where does everyone get those images? They are very funny!

You have two choices: you can right click in my post and save it to your own computer, or you can google "dead horse .gif" and see how many of these suckers are out there! I have four :D.

I had this problem once but it was on a land holiday. A group of a certain nationality (renowned for doing this) kept putting their towels on the best seats (great view, near the refreshment stand etc) before breakfast (7am) then not turning up until about 11am.

To me this issue all comes down to manners and consideration. If you hog a chair you have neither of these.

What is the proper way to deal with people who reserve a pool chair with a towel or book, and then disappear for long periods? I read that some people even go as far as to bring special bags or worthless shoes to put on these chairs to reserve them. I read also that crew members are supposed to remove items after 30 minutes, but seldom do. I think a vacant chair is fair game even with that book or towel or shoes. If the person returns within 30 minutes, then I'd give it up. If more than 30 minutes, I wouldn't. Other opinions?

Keel haulin's too good fer 'em!

my sticker!

This chair was made for an ass to sit in..if there isnt one in it...mine will be..thanks!

im quite brazen I know..but rest assured after 30 min (exactly) I will toss the towel on the next chair over..and sit my big behind in it..if someone comes back..i'll tell them to try and move me..(heh) that always works.

Seriously..you can tell if its a pool person...ie hat, book, drink, lotion on it...if its just atowel..im sure its just a hog..ruining it for others while they get a maassage, etc..

Hi Feisty Lass

I would love to meet up with you on one of my cruises.

Maybe we could form a "big behind" gang that think likewise.

I had this problem once but it was on a land holiday. A group of a certain nationality (renowned for doing this) kept putting their towels on the best seats (great view, near the refreshment stand etc) before breakfast (7am) then not turning up until about 11am.

To me this issue all comes down to manners and consideration. If you hog a chair you have neither of these.

Renowned?? Wow, I had no idea it was only one segment of the population and that they had actually achieved fame by chair hogging!

Your second statement I agree completely with.

I have not one issue with cruising i am going on 9 cruises but the one thing and only that bothers me is CHAIR HOGGING!!!!

I am a dedicated sun worshipper when i pick my chair for the day i can guarantee you will never see me NOT in it, i dip in the pool and come right back, when i take a lunch i bring it back to my chair i am there at all times, and if i feel that i can leave my chair w/ out someone taking it i will take a 5 minute potty break.

I spend most time at the pool and i have seen so many offensive acts in regards to chairs. And i feel it is a major issue and unfortunately i do not think it will ever get resolved at all.

I have gone to the gym at 6am and walked past the pool and have seen peoples stuff out already, ***** do they set there alarm and put their things out and go back to bed????

Well i usually do not say anything when chair hogging is present but i assure you this cruise if i cant find a seat i will politely move things if they are not sitting there, i will give them their 30 minute rule and my butt is down and no one is moving it.

Can anyone come up with any good suggestions on a polite way to approach a chair hogg encounter????????????

I have not one issue with cruising i am going on 9 cruises but the one thing and only that bothers me is CHAIR HOGGING!!!!

I am a dedicated sun worshipper when i pick my chair for the day i can guarantee you will never see me NOT in it, i dip in the pool and come right back, when i take a lunch i bring it back to my chair i am there at all times, and if i feel that i can leave my chair w/ out someone taking it i will take a 5 minute potty break.

I spend most time at the pool and i have seen so many offensive acts in regards to chairs. And i feel it is a major issue and unfortunately i do not think it will ever get resolved at all.

I have gone to the gym at 6am and walked past the pool and have seen peoples stuff out already, ***** do they set there alarm and put their things out and go back to bed????

Well i usually do not say anything when chair hogging is present but i assure you this cruise if i cant find a seat i will politely move things if they are not sitting there, i will give them their 30 minute rule and my butt is down and no one is moving it.

Can anyone come up with any good suggestions on a polite way to approach a chair hogg encounter????????????

Just smile and use sign language. Never mind which finger you sign with! Just kidding of course. Maybe. If you get the chair after the half hour, its yours as I see it.

I know this topic has been hammered to death over the past few years but we've all still managed to have a few laughs despite the fact that these Hogs are rude and inconsiderate of the 95% of the rest of cruise patrons.

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, but perhaps one of the more artistically gifted among us (certainly not me!!) could come up with a big "Chair Hog" design which could be made into an 8"X10" ( or suitable distinctive sized) card or decal. These could be sold at the gift shops (another revenue producer!) in packages of ten or so and when we "catch these beasts in the act" we could adorn their chairs with the card so all the world would know what slugs and degenerates these people are!

Frankly I think it would be a ball to go around bestowing such cards to those most deserving - then retire to the nearest bar and watch the fireworks when these idiots return to their chairs. They likely wouldn't get the message but then again......

Perhaps a few chuckles for another lazy afternoon in paradise!!!

Rob

What is the proper way to deal with people who reserve a pool chair with a towel or book, and then disappear for long periods? I read that some people even go as far as to bring special bags or worthless shoes to put on these chairs to reserve them. I read also that crew members are supposed to remove items after 30 minutes, but seldom do. I think a vacant chair is fair game even with that book or towel or shoes. If the person returns within 30 minutes, then I'd give it up. If more than 30 minutes, I wouldn't. Other opinions?

I just got off the Crown and one day I went to the pool early to reserve a chair, then went to my room to get ready for the pool. Well, it took longer than expected and I was gone for about an hour. Then I went back and my stuff was gone, and I asked the person in the chair where my stuff was. He said taht the deck attendant took it. They put it on a table next to the pool. I think they go around checking to see which chairs have noone in them, or maybe someone wanted that particular chair and asked the guy to take the stuff off.

I will probably be flamed for this, so flame away but I am just being honest. I do not give up my chair..whether I am going in the pool, going to the bathroom or going to eat lunch! Now, I also do not choose prime locatin either. I choose to be away from the action. But, on this last cruise, I spent most of the time in the pool and never gave up my chair. Why should I? I deserve a place to sit when I am done...I will return. Maybe not in the time frame you want, but I will return. I personally have no problem with chair hogs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! There are plenty of chairs to go around!

:mad: <charging up flamethrower> So it was you two who hogged all the chairs on our last cruise.:D :D :D

:mad: <charging up flamethrower> So it was you two who hogged all the chairs on our last cruise.:D :D :D

Hey Doug!

It sure was...us and ngetway and her husband!!! We are chair hogs and proud of it! Just kidding! Did you have fun? We had such a blast and really enjoyed meeting everyone. We are looking forward to planning a cruise for next summer with ngetway.

Christen

I just got off the Crown and one day I went to the pool early to reserve a chair, then went to my room to get ready for the pool. Well, it took longer than expected and I was gone for about an hour. Then I went back and my stuff was gone, and I asked the person in the chair where my stuff was. He said taht the deck attendant took it. They put it on a table next to the pool. I think they go around checking to see which chairs have noone in them, or maybe someone wanted that particular chair and asked the guy to take the stuff off.

Why not "get ready" for the pool first and then go to the pool?

I just got off the Crown and one day I went to the pool early to reserve a chair, then went to my room to get ready for the pool. Well, it took longer than expected and I was gone for about an hour. Then I went back and my stuff was gone,

just wondering something....when you hear about those "chair hogs"....do you feel a kinship with them?

Just playing...but seriously, you deserved to lose your chair. Chairs are for PEOPLE to sit in, not for STUFF.

Archived