Chair Hogs

giambotto

What is the proper way to deal with people who reserve a pool chair with a towel or book, and then disappear for long periods? I read that some people even go as far as to bring special bags or worthless shoes to put on these chairs to reserve them. I read also that crew members are supposed to remove items after 30 minutes, but seldom do. I think a vacant chair is fair game even with that book or towel or shoes. If the person returns within 30 minutes, then I'd give it up. If more than 30 minutes, I wouldn't. Other opinions?

Sure would be fun to have some stickers made up that say "I am a hog" (I envision a pink bikini on a pig) and nonchalantly place on the persons belongings so they dont see it till later. Possibly on someones backside? Might make them think before they do it again. I have seen entire rows taken up with negligible personal items for hours. Sometimes the attendant does go around and puts a time sticker on the chair so when he comes back to check he wil know it has been the thirty minute time block.

Show some innitiative and move suspect items yourself.

If someone immediately comes up to reclaim the chair, apologize and leave. If someone says they holding a chair for another person, say you'll leave when that person shows up.

If it's just a ship's towel, I'd remove it and say "what towel?" if someone asked later.

You need to use some judgement, of course.

I totally agree with Largin.

On our last cruise I could not find a chair and kept a look out on several chairs that was not being occupied although there were towels on them. After about 45 minutes I claimed one of the chairs for myself and was quickly told by this gal that her friend was using the chair. I was very polite about it and said "Oh, where is your friend? I haven't seen anyone using this chair for quite some time now". Nothing else was said, I felt kinda bad about it at first but quickly got over it.

princess should put it in writing,that if caught hogging chairs, will be a breach of contract, and their cruise will be terminated,and will have to depart ship at next port,that should end it lol:))):rolleyes:

The only way to combat this problem is like Largin said...."30 minutes empty and it's mine." Chair hogs need to be grossly inconvenienced to get the message. Maybe if wasn't so easy for hogs to hog they would stop doing it.

I love the idea of the "hog stickers"!

I would think that this is very hard for the deck attendants to police. On our 7/22 Crown sailing, we never had trouble finding chairs, only nine together so we just shared. I am sure that there were times I was in the pool for 30 minutes and no one was actually sitting on the chair, but that does not constitute a chair hog.

When we were on the CB a week or so ago, there was never a problem finding a chair. I am not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about this on the boards. If you are on the CB and you can't find a chair, head to the spa pool and you will find at least a hundred of them...empty!

I agree with Largin, If I see a chair unattended for a lengh of time, I'll take the chair. I've done that on several cruises. Never had anyone say anything.

On our last cruise the 2 chairs beside me were empty for 2 hrs. When the people came back I did make a comment about it. They gave me a dirty look and left.

I never hesitate to clear off a chair.

I would think that this is very hard for the deck attendants to police. On our 7/22 Crown sailing, we never had trouble finding chairs, only nine together so we just shared. I am sure that there were times I was in the pool for 30 minutes and no one was actually sitting on the chair, but that does not constitute a chair hog.

Even if I am in my chair, if one of my party decides to leave for a bit, I let them know that in 30 minutes it is up for grabs. Too many hold a chair and spend the entire day in the pool. I am not saying that is the case here, but it can happen.

I will probably be flamed for this, so flame away but I am just being honest. I do not give up my chair..whether I am going in the pool, going to the bathroom or going to eat lunch! Now, I also do not choose prime locatin either. I choose to be away from the action. But, on this last cruise, I spent most of the time in the pool and never gave up my chair. Why should I? I deserve a place to sit when I am done...I will return. Maybe not in the time frame you want, but I will return. I personally have no problem with chair hogs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! There are plenty of chairs to go around!

I agree with the time limit. So many bring junk books and stuff they don't care about to make it seem more "saved." If you are in and out of your chair, no one will bother you. And saving seat upon seat, to all be together is a bigger problem than a family wanting to be together.

I never ask a staff member to clear it, but will do it myself if no one is around at all. Often we just have to move farther away from the pool to find 2 seats together in the sun. It is a real problem, especially when people are getting up at 5 or 6 am to leave stuff in prime locations only to arrive at 2 in the afternoon.

I will probably be flamed for this, so flame away but I am just being honest. I do not give up my chair..whether I am going in the pool, going to the bathroom or going to eat lunch! Now, I also do not choose prime locatin either. I choose to be away from the action. But, on this last cruise, I spent most of the time in the pool and never gave up my chair. Why should I? I deserve a place to sit when I am done...I will return. Maybe not in the time frame you want, but I will return. I personally have no problem with chair hogs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! There are plenty of chairs to go around!

If I like your chair location, it will be mine in 30 minutes. You can look for another location.. :p:p:p

If I like your chair location, it will be mine in 30 minutes. You can look for another location.. :p:p:p

All is fair...just don't be stealing my chair where there are other nearby! I would not chair hog if there were no chairs available but if there are many, many open chairs, I have no problem taking an extended swim break!

:D

This would be a good concept if everyone was assigned a chair at the beginning of the cruise, but it is never a good idea to join in bad behavior. It is alot of places I am coming back too, but doesn't mean I have the right to hold a specific spot. You also don't know if your spot is a preferred spot, maybe someone else likes being away from it all. I'm sure you are a nice person, but that is not nice behavior.

This would be a good concept if everyone was assigned a chair at the beginning of the cruise, but it is never a good idea to join in bad behavior. It is alot of places I am coming back too, but doesn't mean I have the right to hold a specific spot. You also don't know if your spot is a preferred spot, maybe someone else likes being away from it all. I'm sure you are a nice person, but that is not nice behavior.

Again, I think it all depends on the # of chairs available. Like I said, if there were no chairs available, I would not vacate my chair for more than 30 minutes. BUT...if there were many chairs available, I have no problem swimming a little longer or eating my lunch away from my chair. On the CB a week or so ago, I was at the spa pool and there were many,many chairs available and empty. At least 100 (not kidding). So, in that case, do not take my chair if I am not back in 30 minutes. There are plenty of other chairs available!

LOL, LOL !!! There you go send them to production and I'll put them on the chair hogs.

Can you imagine if we really started using these? Of course a removable sticker so as not to ruin their things but politely put the things on the deck with a sticker attached!

I just may have to print me some for next March.

Can you imagine if we really started using these? Of course a removable sticker so as not to ruin their things but politely put the things on the deck with a sticker attached!

I just may have to print me some for next March.

I leave on the Crown in Jan. I would love to have some. LOL!!

Archived