Chair Hogs

giambotto

I think it is a pretty safe bet to sit in a chair with a towel on it. I wouldn't move other people's belongings but I think it is fair game. That's my opinion. If someone comes back and says something, then I would politely move but I have not had this happen as yet.

I wouldn't let my vacation be ruined because people hog the chairs and don't come back for hours.

I think it is a pretty safe bet to sit in a chair with a towel on it. I wouldn't move other people's belongings but I think it is fair game. That's my opinion. If someone comes back and says something, then I would politely move but I have not had this happen as yet.

I wouldn't let my vacation be ruined because people hog the chairs and don't come back for hours.

I have actually been chewed out for sitting where a towel laid just folded on the chair. I had watched it for quite awhile and a mother/daughter had a fit that I would even think of sitting there. I sat anyway an NO ONE ever came back for the chair. I also take note when I am sitting of the chairs near me. When I see someone looking for one and know that a particular chair has not been occcupied, I certainly tell them to help themselves.

When we were on the CB a week or so ago, there was never a problem finding a chair. I am not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about this on the boards. If you are on the CB and you can't find a chair, head to the spa pool and you will find at least a hundred of them...empty!

I think the reason it keeps coming up, is that many people have had a problem with chair hogs and with the cruiseline employees reluctant to do anything about it.

On another board, somebody came up with a great solution: he's going to bring signs that say: "Free Items. Please Feel Free to Take." Of course, if it's just misc. stuff rather than actual belongings, it seems the best thing to do is just removed the items and sit down. The problem is when someone says, "this seat is taken." And 45 minutes later, it's still empty.

If I see a flip on one chair, and a flop on the one next to it, I know that I have spotted a pair (at least) of CHOGS. I think that it's only fair to reunited those separated flip-flops, don't you? ;)

absolutely and remember, shoes dont belong on the furniture so it is only right to place them on the deck!

I agree with Largin and others....if the chair is unoccupied 30 minutes, it's mine....and I don't depend upon the attendants to deal with this. True, they should, but many don't for lots of reasons I'm sure. I just remove the towel - or whatever, and flop everything on another chair or give it to the attendant for lost and found.

I rarely get any flak. Those occasions where the rude person actually has the "guts" to say anything, I refer them to the deck attendant or the pursers desk. I simply don't argue w ith them....plug my earphones in, turn on my Walkman and let Willie, Waylon and the Boys take me away!!:p

Personally IMHO chair hogs should be keelhauled or at least be made to walk the plank. Unfortunately most cruise lines and cruise lines personnel rarely will do anything about the situation in spite of written instructions to do so.

Oh well we could all grab them and throw them overboard and take their chairs.

Oh well enough levity for this post.

Have a great next cruise unless you are a chair hog.

No, there aren't. Many times its difficult to find an open chair. That's the point.

And no, this isn't a flame.

Then I don't think you are looking hard enough. I guess it all depends on where you want to sit....by the main pools, you are probably right, chairs are hard to find. If you are just looking for a chair to sit in to get some sun, then you are not looking hard enough. I was just on the CB and let me tell you, there were plenty of chairs that were empty, not being hogged, by the spa pool. If you can't find a place to sit, you arn't looking!!! Just my personal opinion!

Then I don't think you are looking hard enough. I guess it all depends on where you want to sit....by the main pools, you are probably right, chairs are hard to find. If you are just looking for a chair to sit in to get some sun, then you are not looking hard enough. I was just on the CB and let me tell you, there were plenty of chairs that were empty, not being hogged, by the spa pool. If you can't find a place to sit, you arn't looking!!! Just my personal opinion!

Not everyone wants to go to the spa pool. I know I dont. If there are chairs unoccupied by a warm body, it is fair game after the half hour designated by Princess.

Not everyone wants to go to the spa pool. I know I dont. If there are chairs unoccupied by a warm body, it is fair game after the half hour designated by Princess.

Again, like I said, it depends on where you would like to sit. But to say that there are NO chairs available is a lie. There ARE chairs available, just not where you want to sit.

Again, like I said, it depends on where you would like to sit. But to say that there are NO chairs available is a lie. There ARE chairs available, just not where you want to sit.

No need in getting so defensive. Most people dont want to be at the spa pool. Families want to stay together be it near the pool or just up on deck and yes, there are times there were no chairs so dont call people liars unless you were there at the time they were while looking for a chair. You didnt have a problem finding one. You werent on our cruises.

No need in getting so defensive. Most people dont want to be at the spa pool. Families want to stay together be it near the pool or just up on deck and yes, there are times there were no chairs so dont call people liars unless you were there at the time they were while looking for a chair. You didnt have a problem finding one. You werent on our cruises.

I am not getting defensive. It's just that every week or so a thread comes up on these boards talking about how there are NEVER any chairs available. Well, that is just not true. Again, the ARE chairs available, just not where you would like to sit. I understand that people would like to stay together and that when people hog chairs, it is a problem. My point is that there are plenty of chairs to go around. People just don't want to sit there! I have been on 4 cruises and I have never had a problem finding a chair...it might not be in the exact location I would like to sit, but I can find one. Thats all!

I am not getting defensive. It's just that every week or so a thread comes up on these boards talking about how there are NEVER any chairs available. Well, that is just not true. Again, the ARE chairs available, just not where you would like to sit. I understand that people would like to stay together and that when people hog chairs, it is a problem. My point is that there are plenty of chairs to go around. People just don't want to sit there! I have been on 4 cruises and I have never had a problem finding a chair...it might not be in the exact location I would like to sit, but I can find one. Thats all!

Since you have never had a problem finding a chair why do you care if someone takes yours after you have left it unoccupied for over 30 minutes while you are elsewhere? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My husband and I were on a cruise this past January, and we could not find a chair in the sun for the whole week....and yes, we did look. We did see many chairs with towels on them, and no one around. That tells me that there either were not plenty of chairs, or people were hogging more than one each. We still had a wonderful trip, but it would have been nice to lay in the sun at least once.:confused:

Since you have never had a problem finding a chair why do you care if someone takes yours after you have left it unoccupied for over 30 minutes while you are elsewhere? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Like one of my previous posts said (I think I was responding to you that time as well)...I have no problem with someone taking my chair if I am not in it for more than 30 minutes and there are no other chairs available. I will find another one. Just don't move my things and plop down on my chair if there are others around! Also, don't be mean and throw my items overboard or in the hot tub like some people say they would do. Simply move them off the chair and have a seat. By the way, one of my other posts said that I would not "chair hog" if there were no other chairs available. If all the chairs were taken, you would find my butt in my seat. I only leave for more than 30 minutes if there are plenty of chairs available!

Whether there are chairs or not never really has been the issue. Its really a question of consideration for others.

I recognize that some people never get this. I recognize that some people are satisfied with any condition, as long as they've "got theirs". And I can live with that.

Archived