New Packing Recommendations needed

grannynurse

Heather,

I thorougly agree with you re the Dress Code. Why in deed would one want to change that as it doesn't affect what we can pack and not pack. My DH will still be able to carry on board his formal gear in a long plastic bag which the flight attendants will hang up for us.

We will be having 6 formal nights, 4 informal and 24 casual nights on our upcoming cruise and as far as I am concerned this isn't a hassle. I will be bringing a long black skirt and lots of different tops for the formal nights, some smart dresses for the informal and some nice pants and tops for the casual nights.

We will probably be flying further afield than most and and yet we are not at all in favour of dropping the dress code. What is the reasoning behind this? Surely just to fit one's toiletries and makeup into one's suitcase, doesn't mean that we cannot take our formal wear. I am going to put my shoes into my carry on luggage and therefore it is an equal swap.

Anyhow as you said, one can always rent formal clothes on board if this is such a hassle.

I love going to the formal dinners and to take that away would be a huge loss to me. If I didn't want to dress up I could go on any number of other lines.

Jennie

Relaxation of formal dress is a topic of conversation on some of the other boards too. Clothes are clothes ad I don't think formal stuff weighs any more than additional country-club casual. So perhaps the issue is shoes.

When DH, DD and I travel together, we tend to pack some of each of our stuff in all three bags. This way if one-two go astray, we all at least will have something. I tended to bring too many shoes on a cruise which made DH crazy. On a particular cruise, DH was repacking the bags, as he always does, and claims to have forgotten to repack all my shoes. This meant I was not aware that the only shoes I had for entire cruise were the flip-flops on my feet. On a good day, I wear size 11. Ever try to find a size 11 Womens' shoe in the Med?

So I spent the cruise in my flip-flops and I do not think most people noticed or maybe I did not care as I had no choice. At least they were black. It cured me of bringing too many shoes on a cruise. And yeah, this is way too much information.

And yeah, this is way too much information.

But, as usual, what vastly entertaining information it is.:)

I am so glad, glad, glad that on Friday it will take us all of 15 minutes (depending on traffic) to drive from our front door to HAL's Terminal 30 in Seattle. Our bags are stuffed, and we're bringing along everything from shorts to chiffon (how do you like that alliteration?) Our biggest worry will be can it all fit in the car?:rolleyes:

I am so glad, glad, glad that on Friday it will take us all of 15 minutes (depending on traffic) to drive from our front door to HAL's Terminal 30 in Seattle. Our bags are stuffed, and we're bringing along everything from shorts to chiffon (how do you like that alliteration?) Our biggest worry will be can it all fit in the car?:rolleyes:

I SURE do thank you for my word of the day ( Does this count if when a vowel is used?) You are going to have a fabulous cruise and make many happy family memories.

Middle-aged mom,

Have a great cruise and make sure that you wear everything you pack. How wonderful it would be if we could only leave from here. ;)

Jennie

Jennie, I was thinking more of popping the extras into your cases right at the pier after disembarkation. The overnight stuff would be a small little bag and you wouldn't even have to unzip the luggage all the way. But if you have a hard-type case, it could be a hassle.

Wow, Heather, this is a GREAT tip, thanks for sharing. This is one of those things that I read and thought, "Now why didn't I think of that earlier." For whatever reason, I didn't think of it earlier. This solves a lot of hassle for people. Thanks--I'll be passing this tip along!! :)

DD, can't take the credit for that idea about the pier. Sean (Tinknock) suggested it earlier and I just picked up on it:) . So thank you, Sean!!!

I honestly think all the fuss about getting rid of formal nights because of the liquid ban in carry-ons is just a way for those who hate formal nights to spin their way to elimination of formal wear. I think it's quite a stretch and I'm so happy to see agreement!

As for shoes, you're right. I know that many women seem to think they need a different pair for every formal night, but careful planning of one's wardrobe can lead to fewer shoes. Personally I always have 2 pair and they're pretty strappy and take little room.

Besides! Since you don't have toiletries in your carry-on, stick the shoes in there and the problem is solved:D .

Heather,

Actually my idea was to pop it in the check-in bags at the airport. At the pier after dis-embarkation was your suggestion and I think that is even better.:)

My other suggestion was to put your shoes in the carryon to compensate for the extra liquid weight in your checked suitcase.

The new restrictions have made me change my plan to travel light with just carry-ons. I have too many medical creams and liquids for my Mom that would be too expensive to purchase along the way.

So I guess I will be checking one of the carry-ons for the liquid stuff.

That will take more time to claim our luggage and be on our way to the ship.

I am not complaining but it does make it more difficult for me.

As for shoes, you're right. I know that many women seem to think they need a different pair for every formal night, but careful planning of one's wardrobe can lead to fewer shoes. Personally I always have 2 pair and they're pretty strappy and take little room.

Besides! Since you don't have toiletries in your carry-on, stick the shoes in there and the problem is solved:D .

I am guessing that you do not wear size 11 boats.

I am guessing that you do not wear size 11 boats.

No:) , but the size doesn't make that much of a difference. And I'm referring to the women's shoes since the issue was evidently that some people feel formal nights should be canceled because of the new TSA restrictions. Since no one could figure out why some felt that formal wear weighed more than "country club casual", we thought shoes might be the issue.

I doubt a man brings more than one pair of formal shoes and even if wearing "country club casual", he would still need a nice pair of shoes.

Now to get myself in trouble. I fail to understand why people suddenly think this is the opportunity to change the dress code. How is formal attire any heavier than country club casual? I just don't see that at all!

If you don't want to lug the tux or a suit, simply use the rental service which is amazing. But for me formal attire is a non-issue and weighs less, if anything, than country club casual. It's amazing how you can adjust a nice slinky long black or white dress with pashimas, light jackets and scarves. Takes up very little space in the suitcase and weighs less than shorts and slacks.

I see absolutely no reason to change the dress code because of the liquids issue. I get the feeling that folks are just aching for any excuse to get all of us out of formal attire. Unquote

Heather...Your last sentence is being very unfair to those of us who only suggested a relaxation of the dress code on long cruises..:( I love to dress up & enjoy Formal nights! We’re not trying to change the Dress code..One reason we travel on HAL is because of their dress code...Please give us some slack & don’t try to read something into our posts that we never stated & is not true..:(

I was explaining to Rev.Neal what grannynurse meant when she suggested a relaxation of the dress code during this crises…We both take the longer cruises, & we probably take too many clothes..If you would read my post again it would be much easier for those of us who take these long cruises to have less formal nights...Renting a tux has nothing to do with it..My DH takes one tux with several different accessories & 2 shirts, while I take 5 different outfits or dresses with matching shoes, purses etc. for our 5 formal nights & I don't send my formal wear to be dry-cleaned on board..If they only had 3 formal nights & cut out the informal & made the rest casual, I would be able to cut out a whole suitcase..My interpretation of informal is dressy!

I don’t take one skinny formal skirt with a couple of tops & one pair of formal shoes! I also take lots of shoes because of foot problems & I change them 2-3 times per day/night..Last time I had 9 pairs of shoes with me:o ..When we have 5 formal nights, 6 informal nights & the 14 Country club casual on a 25 day cruise & also must carry 4 toiletry cases for over the counter meds, prescriptions, makeup electric toothbrushes, curling iron etc.the weight adds up…We can't cut down on toiletries, medications etc. because most of the things we take we're not able to get on board or off the ship in large quantitys..It cost us $5.00 in Rom to get a few cough drops… When we don’t fly it’s no problem, but when we do fly it is a problem for me!

If you would re-read my post (# 79) I explained how much formal wear I take including shoes, purses, etc but my last sentence stated “If we have to fly, I'll just have to cut back on some of my shoes & a few other things, but it would be so much easier if we could cut out some of our formal wear, even though I really enjoy dressing up”...Grannynurse's posts also explained that she enjoys dressing up but she was having a problem because of her pre & post cruise tours..

Betty..

P.S. Please excuse the different colors..Used my word program first & then refined it directly on the post..

Serendipity,

We are going to be on a long cruise with 6 formal nights in a months time and yet I have got my packing down to a fine art. For a start, I do not need a different purse for every formal night, one purse is sufficient. I also only need one pair of fancy black shoes for the six formal nights as they are suitable for everything I am wearing. I am taking one long black skirt which I find invaluable but I am also packing a couple of other formal outfits as well.

We have to fly for hours on end on lots of planes - over 24 hours in flying time - plus a few days precruise to get over any jetlag and yet I would hate for the formal nights to be cut down.

We do carry quite a bit of medication, we do not need it but it is a preventative measure in case of emergencies and as we are going up the Amazon we do need more this time. We have always packed this into a plastic bag and put it into one of our carry on bags.

Even on casual nights I wear similar clothes to the informal nights as I believe eating in the dining room is the same as going out to a good restaurant here at home.

I am packing 9 pairs of shoes which include sandals and shoes to wear in the water. I mix and match a lot and find that I can get many different outfits from a few items.

In all we are bringing one large suitcase each and just one extra bag (a HAL bag I won once) between us and we will each have one carry on bag. Not a huge amount for a 34 day cruise.

Jennie

Chalk me up as another one who doesn't understand how changing formal nights to casual would make my luggage lighter---or even make packing easier, for that matter.

Remove one formal outfit; add one casual outfit. Same number of outfits. Each outfit needs hose, shoes, bag, jewelry. But they don't all need different hose, shoes, etc. Since my basic color for formals is black there is very little of the "big stuff" that isn't repeated.

I take three evening bags. Funny thing is one fits inside another, which fits inside the third. Takes up little space in the suitcase that way.

The trick to packing light is selecting one (or two, on longer cruises) colors to work around. I've gone for 35 days on two suitcases, and could have done the World Cruise on the same wardrobe.

Serendipity,

We are going to be on a long cruise with 6 formal nights in a months time and yet I have got my packing down to a fine art. For a start, I do not need a different purse for every formal night, one purse is sufficient. I also only need one pair of fancy black shoes for the six formal nights as they are suitable for everything I am wearing. I am taking one long black skirt which I find invaluable but I am also packing a couple of other formal outfits as well.

We have to fly for hours on end on lots of planes - over 24 hours in flying time - plus a few days precruise to get over any jetlag and yet I would hate for the formal nights to be cut down. unquote

Aussie Gal & Ruth C..I respect your opinions about what you wear/pack..But as I said, I can't take one pair of shoes for formal/informal nights...Years ago I severely injured my hamstring & was in a cast for 6 weeks...In addition to my legs I have problems with my feet & MUST take several pairs of different heel heights etc...I'm constantly changing my shoes.. (My DH calls me Imelda).. It's also easier for me to pack my casual than than it is formal or informal clothes, as I don't have to hang my casual clothing....I always pack dressy dresses for Informal & I don't take just one black skirt with a couple of tops for formal in a hanging bag..I can do a great deal of mixing & matching with my Country club casual clothing better than my formal or informal..I get very tired of always wearing basic black...But that's just me! I've packed light for 30 years when I traveled by air for business/pleasure & quite frankly am tired of it...I would be happy going back to the days, when we could take trunks with us..LOL

However the reason for my last post was not to really get into the discussion of changing formal to casual nights..It only was to explain my post to Rev. Neal & to express my distress & objection to the statement that was made about us..:(

Quote I get the feeling that folks are just aching for any excuse to get all of us out of formal attire. Unquote

This was not our intent at all! :(

Serendipity,

I'll take the heat for starting this. I saw someone's suggestion on the CC home page and brought the idea here. It wasn't a permanent solution it was a short time fix for having to move all the essentials to checked luggage. I appreciate your support and I'm sorry you caught the flack. There shouldn't have been any hostility directed anywhere as I asked for recommendations to compensate for the new regs. This wasn't supposed to be a slugfest, and it really wasn't, but I'm sorry you feel wounded, as all you were doing was understanding where I was coming from,

Again, Thank You,

GN

Heather...Your last sentence is being very unfair to those of us who only suggested a relaxation of the dress code on long cruises..:( ....................

Generally I find that "suggestions" are a bit stronger than just that.

Also, I was not the only one who replied to the "suggestion" so I honestly resent being singled out. Nothing new, of course, because no matter how many people may agree with me about something I'm the one who is called to task.

How many clothes and shoes anyone chooses to take on a cruise is not the issue and it's a personal choice. With a little planning we can look different every formal night with very few clothes. And certainly we don't need different shoes for every outfit if weight is the issue.

So all I'm saying is that putting toiletries in checked baggage is just not enough of an excuse to ask HAL or any other cruise line to relax the dress code. Sorry, but I think that's a big stretch.

BTW, most meds, as long as you can provide the prescription for them, are allowed in your carry-on so that's not part of this.

In the end, whether you're dressed in formal wear or country club casual or even casual, you still need clothes and shoes. So this liquids issue has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I did not direct my posts to anyone in particular. To be honest, I was completely unaware of who or how many suggested relaxing the dress code ... I just responded with my reaction.

This wasn't a "slugfest" in any way until someone decided to make it one. It was a friendly, fun exchange coming up with ideas about how to deal with the existing security situation. Why it was turned it into a direct hit on me I don't understand.

Please let me clarify my posts above. It may not be the best idea to try to "fix" things, but I've learned there was a clear misunderstanding here.

My post was not directed in any way to posts by either Grannynurse or Serendipity. Their suggestion last week about relaxing the dress code was only that ... a passing suggestion and Greg and I only asked "why?".

But Amusea posted just above me that this might be a "perfect time to amend the dress code" to "country club casual". It is to that suggestion that I responded because I just couldn't see much difference in packing for formal or country club casual.

Between the beginning of this thread an now, I have flown up to CT and NY and back. I didn't even remember the beginning of the thread. So my apologies to Grannynurse and Serendipity for any confusion.

Heather & I have been in contact with each other & have settled our differences regarding our posts..I misinterpreted her posts to be directly aimed at Grannynurse & me & had overlooked some of the other posts on this thread..My apologies to Heather & everyone else for "shooting from the hip" without going back & re-reading all the pages of this thread brefore posting..

Grannynurse thanks for your support & also apologize to you for not stopping to think before I posted my displeasure..I hope this thread will continue as you intended it to be..Packing suggestions will be appreciated by all of us..

CCCM... Thanks for sharing the info on minimus biz (WEB site) which ships incidentals in small quantaties..It could be useful to those who drive to the ports as well as those who fly..Some things are pricey but might be worth it to get the smaller quantities..I've come across a few items that I haven't seen in small quantities in our local stores..Another good deal is the free shipping if the order is $20.00 or more..

Happy cruising everyone..Betty

I'm glad to see that it looks like reconciliation has occurred. I stayed out of it because, as I was reminded, I'm not qualified to pontificate on such a subject. As a guy I bring 4 pair of shoes on a cruise:

1 pair of dress black shoes

1 pair of brown casual shoes

1 pair of white walking shoes

1 pair of sandals (assuming one can call them shoes)

And that's about it. Regardless. And one of those pair I WEAR to the ship (usually the brown casual shoes). Hence, I'm only packing 3 pair!

As for formal gear ... my biggest problem is my big size. Thankfully, that's becoming less and less of a problem every week. When I disembarked the Noordam I truly WAS cargo ... I weighed 364 pounds. A lot of it was muscle, bone, organs, etc on my thick, 6 foot tall frame ... about 204 pounds worth of solid me ... but 160 pounds of it was pure flabby me! YUCK! After a visit to the doctor, I joined 24 Hour Fitness, obtained a dietician and a personal trainer, and began a VERY strict diet and tough exercise regimen. 1200 calories, 20 grams of fat, and 600 - 1000 calories burned exercising at the gym every day (except Sundays). Needless to say, thus far the results have been very pleasing.

This morning, when I got on the scales after my morning work out (I walked 4 miles on the treadmill, worked out with the weights -- chest, abs, shoulders, and back -- sat in the hot tub, in the dry sauna, and and swam for 30 minutes) I weighed 261 pounds. Yes ... I've lost 103 pounds in 5 months. A literal MIRACLE. I've also picked up muscle mass ... from 204 pounds to 211. I'm VERY pleased.

From here-on-out the hard part will be to (1) keep losing weight, (2) keep building muscle, (3) without losing my focus and my desire. The rate of weight loss has been decelerating as I've been losing, and that is becoming a serious problem for me. It's depressing to be FAITHFUL to one's diet, exercise daily, and only lose 4 pounds in 1 week ... particularly when, earlier on, I was losing between 5 and 10 pounds a week. But, weighing less means I burn fewer calories, and it takes fewer calories for me to work out too. But ... I feel FANTASTIC -- much better than I've felt in YEARS -- and am actually enjoying my exercise routine. I've got 50 pounds to lose, and they will be HARD pounds to lose. But, with God's help and encouragement from my church and my family and friends, I know I can make it.

THEN ... I've gotta keep it off. :(

Yes ... I've lost 103 pounds in 5 months. A literal MIRACLE. I've also picked up muscle mass ... from 204 pounds to 211. I'm VERY pleased.

Greg, that is truly inspirational. I can sympathize with what you had to tackle. I am just starting upon my own journey as it were. The moment i stepped on a scale and it registered 304. I knew I could no longer lie to myself and say I'm not that big.... Its just such a hard thign to accept, being that overweight, its hard to know where to start. But you are doing it, and I am sure you are an even greater inspiration to your congregation.

When it will be tough to follow my prescribed program, I'll have another person to use as my inspiration, thanks for posting

Needless to say, thus far the results have been very pleasing. I've lost 103 pounds in 5 months. A literal MIRACLE. I've also picked up muscle mass ... from 204 pounds to 211. I'm VERY pleased.

Go, Rev Neal! That's amazing! Why aren't you doing cartwheels????:D I was proud that I've lost 30 pounds in the same time period, but your loss is just incredible. Way to go!

I'm struggling to keep on keeping on. I'd like to lose at least 20 more, maybe 30, and 40 would put me back at high school weight--that would make me soooooooo happy. But I only lose 1-2 pounds a week, so my motivation has been lagging. My exercise has been so sporadic during the summer that I'm almost glad school is starting again so I can go to the gym. My youngest will be in first grade so I won't have any little guys at home to keep me here. I've lost all of my lame excuses! I hope bumping up the exercise will accelerate the weight loss again. We'll see. My goal is to get some 'arms'. I want muscle definition and not saggy, baggy triceps! Heh.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Robin

Oh Rev. Neal..That's so wonderful...

I lost 9 lbs. before the Amazon Cruise, but put 5 lbs back while on the cruise..:( Hal's bread pudding & Ice cream bar was my downfall!

Must loose it again so I fit into my cruise clothes for the Ryndam in Nov..Headed back to exercize on Monday..Now you have inspired me once again to try to lose it...

Maybe we should start a weight loss thread & all check in once or twice a week..;)

Perhaps we could help each other..:cool:

Betty

Greg, too funny about the shoes. DH packs the same number, but according to him, the shoes on his feet don't count and the sandals don't count...so he is really only bringing two pair. :rolleyes:

It is great to get an update on your turn to a healthy life change. Wondering since the post you did several months back. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you!

As far as I'm concerned, Greg, a day without you pontificating is a day without sunshine:D !!! So don't stop ever!!!

And congratulations on that amazing weight loss! Good for you. I've lost 12 silly pounds and had been proud as a peacock. I really admire you for your determination and sticktoitiveness:) !! It's not easy.

If these regulations are going to continue, which I believe they are, it would be a great time for more companies to sell the small travel sizes. For small trips, I'd be thrilled to send a little package to myself ahead of time and toss it before my return.

And anyone arriving at the cruise port the day before (which so many of us do) could take a quick trip to the drugstore and buy everything there. At the end of the trip, toss it. With all the money we spend on all kinds of stuff on our cruises, this wouldn't be that big an expense.

Archived