New Packing Recommendations needed

grannynurse

I am very concerned about the jewelry. I do not want to pack it in my suitcase.

And if I wear everything, they will make me take it off at security and something could be stolen there.

We were going to buy a new camera - but will wait and see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

Can't you bring a cheaper camera ... something maybe older that while you don't want to lose it, at least won't present a major hardship if it is lost?

As for jewelry, if I were leaving for a cruise tomorrow and knew that getting jewelry through the security checkpoint in my carry-on bag would be a problem ... LOL, I simply wouldn't bring the jewelry. It's as easy as that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just checked the TSA site.....still no restrictions on Cameras, cellphones, laptops etc.

My own personal opinion and NOT mentioned on the TSA flight, there might be some future restriction on cellphone carryons because terrorists planned to use them to set off bombs. Again, this is only my opinion and not anything official I read anywhere.

I STILL say that the TSA should just pass restrictions on the bringing onboard of Terrorists. That should solve the problem. NO terrorists aboard domestic or international flights; it doesn't matter if they WILL fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you ... NO terrorists. :D

Note: No offense was intended to any of our friends in the earlier version of this post. :) Offense WAS intended for terrorists.

At this rate, we'll soon all be required to send all luggage and personal effects forward to our destinations via Fed-Ex and show up at the terminal in nothing but disposable, non-flammable paper overalls! (color coordinated to denote the class of travel, airline and destination, of course!)

"Sorry Ma'am, clothing items with elastic are not allowed - and that includes underwear - could be used as a weapon of mass destruction..."

"Navel lint is an incendiary device, Sir - you will not be allowed to accompany your family onto the aircraft..."

Travel would be so much safer if other people weren't involved....

:cool:

Jennie,

My BIL and family got the kit w/toothbrush, toothpaste, eyeshades, and socks. No one remembered what else, if anything, was in there. One of their pens was not alllowed - a gel-type pen. It was probably one of their children's from the sound of it. Sorry, it's a little chaotic when folks first arrive and I didn't get too many details tonight.

Hope that helps! :)

At least we will have these on board the plane. Nothing is worse than not being able to freshen up after a long flight especially an overnighter. :(

Jennie

On the 11:p.m. News Tonight they previewed a new Scanner which I believe is being either used or tested in the UK..(Turned to watch the TV too late to be sure where it was)..This scanner is to be used as a secondary one only if Security believes the person is trying to smuggle something on board..The scanner literally takes off all the persons clothes & the person is in the nude :eek: (in the scanners picture only)...It then shows a picture of anything the person is trying to smuggle on board...

Apparently the person will have the choice of being patted down or going through this scanner..Think I'd rather be patted down..Wouldn't want anyone to see my wrinkles & all the sagging areas:o ..LOL

Humph ... which I would prefer would depend upon how pretty the TSA person is. :D

:D You might be right...It depends on whose doing what! If Omar Sharif was scanning,oh no..:o Can't have him seeing the sags & wrinkles!.

But if someone just as handsome was patting down;) Wowee!

Please don't tell my DH I said that!

Just a quickie to let you all know that I just returned from my little trip. I flew out of Palm Beach into JFK and then out of LaGuardia back to Palm Beach. It was an absolute piece of cake.

I packed (of course) all liquids, gels, etc., in my checked baggage, but carried a small tote with all my jewelery and anything else I wouldn't want to lose anywhere. They did inspect the bag with the jewelery because they told me it's hard to see on the scanner.

They were wonderful ... in fact I'd almost say it's easier because people aren't carting nearly as much luggage so it all moves very quickly. You shoes MUST be put in the little bin ... no longer an option.

But it was zip zip zip. I was amazed that I flew out Friday morning when the regulations were pretty brand new and they were organized and thorough. They also pull people from the line getting on the plane, but again this was quick because most people just had their laptops, purses, and small totes.

And you can bring stick lipsticks now ... just not gels and gloss type lipsticks.

Thanks for the update, Heather. Glad it went well for you---especially since at the beginning of a new SOP it could have been awful.

Hope the wedding was beautiful and a good time was had by all. The weather sure did it's best to cooperate!

Heather,

Thanks for letting us know how things fared at the airports and glad to know you had a great time.

Last night, when I wasn't sleeping, I had a brilliant idea for the last day on board the ship, when everything has been packed into the suitcases and you are left with just your carry on luggage.

Every now and then the cosmetic firms have specials that you receive if you spend enough on a product. Over the years I have so many little jars of creams, makeup, eye shadow, mascara etc. in my bathroom so I am going to bring a small selection of these and then I can at least make up my face on the last day and then throw away the samples.

Regarding toothpaste and toothbrush, I will bring the ones we are given on our flight from here to the U.S. and they will be fine for brushing my teeth on the final day.

Jennie

Jennie, I think your idea is brilliant and if these regulations are going to continue for any length of time, wouldn't it be nice for the cruise lines to leave those absolute necessities in the cabins on the last night.

Wouldn't have to be anything expensive ... they already give us soap, shampoo, and a couple of other things. So all they need to add is one of those cheapo throwaway toothbrushes and a tiny toothpaste.

Jennie, I think your idea is brilliant and if these regulations are going to continue for any length of time, wouldn't it be nice for the cruise lines to leave those absolute necessities in the cabins on the last night.

Wouldn't have to be anything expensive ... they already give us soap, shampoo, and a couple of other things. So all they need to add is one of those cheapo throwaway toothbrushes and a tiny toothpaste.

Or, even easier.......keep everything with you need the last morning in a small ziplock bag and put it in your carryon.

Then when you get to the airport, pop it into your checked luggage.

I'm sorry, but this HAS to be the most incredibly STUPID "rules" yet!
I'm sorry also: sorry you think that. If these rules save one life or stop one terrorist it is worth it. I don't like the inconvenience either: who does, but we are living in a different world than many of us were raised in. Already in this past week there have been some adjustments. As for make up, I will just put it in plastic bags and ship it through; the camera, maybe we will carry only disposable ones that cost $15 instead of $200 or more and jewelry, I will bring a few pieces in my purse. the rest I will buy on the ship, cheap but pretty comtume stuff. I sometimes don't know why I have good stuff anyway, I hardly ever wear it. If things change between now and November I will re-think all this. NMNita

Sean, you're right! I hadn't even thought about that. Fact is, you could pop it in when you pick it up on the pier. Boy, do I feel dumb!!!:(

There's no problem bringing cameras and jewelery through in your carry-on. So don't worry about that at all.

As for people who think these are "stupid rules", thankfully they are few. Everyone at the airport totally accepted this has the way things have to be.

And no one should think that "profiling" would be the answer and the rest of us can carry on whatever we want. That won't work. Because the terrorists are smart enough to "use" mothers with babies and "little old ladies". That is why they're randomly checking everyone. Things are not always as they seem or appear.

I'm sorry also: sorry you think that. If these rules save one life or stop one terrorist it is worth it. I don't like the inconvenience either: who does, but we are living in a different world than many of us were raised in. Already in this past week there have been some adjustments. As for make up, I will just put it in plastic bags and ship it through; the camera, maybe we will carry only disposable ones that cost $15 instead of $200 or more and jewelry, I will bring a few pieces in my purse. the rest I will buy on the ship, cheap but pretty comtume stuff. I sometimes don't know why I have good stuff anyway, I hardly ever wear it. If things change between now and November I will re-think all this. NMNita

Just checked the TSA site again......still nothing about cameras in carryon luggage. You can still take them with you on the plane.

Here is the link:TSA: TSA Adjusts Latest Ban Without Compromising Security

SECURITY LEVEL REMAINS THE SAME, TSA REFINES AND CLARIFIES BAN

• Small doses of liquid medications permitted
  • Shoes removal required
  • Low blood sugar treatments including glucose gel for diabetics permitted
  • Clarifications include: aerosols prohibited, solid lipstick and baby food permitted.

I assure you that if you are flying domestically you can definitely bring your cameras, laptops, cellphones, etc., onboard in your carry-on. My digital camera remained in my tote. They recommended taking your film camera out and passing it through.

The ONLY thing you can't take on the plane that you could before is anything at all that is liquid (except for very small amount of prescription liquid medicine, baby formula). No gels, no toothpaste.

Stick to carrying only dry goods and your small electronics and you're fine! No need for concern. Everything else stays the same except that some are checked again at the gate.

Obviously, the amount of checked luggage is going to increase greatly which means longer waits to retrieve baggage. Furthermore, the restriction of two fifty pound pieces of luggage creates additional problems. A lot of the weight of toiletries that were previously carried on will mean that there is less room for clothes. I keep thinking of my two wonderful voyages on Oceania and how much less I had to pack because of their dress code. It is amazing how elegant folks can look in "country club casual" and the dress code was never abused. This is certainly not the case with formal nights where each year more and more passengers dress without regard to the suggested dress.

Perhaps this is the perfect time to amend the dress codes to make packing easier. Since I am booked on a 64 day cruise on HAL next year I am not looking forward to the suits, tuxedo, shoes, etc. that are di rigeur for many of the formal and "informal" nights.

Sean and Heather,

I realized days ago that putting your makeup into your case at the airport would be the obvious way of doing things but opening our cases at the airport just wouldn't work for us. :(

It would be the biggest hassle of all time as we have the Samonsite Oyster cases with the hangers inside and it would just be a nightmare to open them once we have closed them down, especially at a busy airport.:rolleyes:

It would definitely work for the softer luggage with zips. Being able to throw away a few bits and pieces before we leave for the ship is the best course of action for us. :)

Jennie

Jennie, I was thinking more of popping the extras into your cases right at the pier after disembarkation. The overnight stuff would be a small little bag and you wouldn't even have to unzip the luggage all the way. But if you have a hard-type case, it could be a hassle.

Now to get myself in trouble. I fail to understand why people suddenly think this is the opportunity to change the dress code. How is formal attire any heavier than country club casual? I just don't see that at all!

If you don't want to lug the tux or a suit, simply use the rental service which is amazing. But for me formal attire is a non-issue and weighs less, if anything, than country club casual. It's amazing how you can adjust a nice slinky long black or white dress with pashimas, light jackets and scarves. Takes up very little space in the suitcase and weighs less than shorts and slacks.

I see absolutely no reason to change the dress code because of the liquids issue. I get the feeling that folks are just aching for any excuse to get all of us out of formal attire.

On our flights this weekend, even with everyone checking all their baggage into Kennedy and out of LaGuardia, the baggage claim was very efficient and if anything we got our bags sooner than usual.

Believe me, at least this weekend, flying on a Friday into JFK New York and back on Tuesday, there was no problem checking in at the airports. The lines at check-in and Security were about the same as always..

Archived