"LIVE" from the Explorer 8-11-06 Cape Liberty

Radio

Hello everyone....It seems that my connection is weakening....For some reason I cant connect with WiFi...only Internet Cafe...which means no pics.... Oh well I will try later.

Today is a bright, clear warm sunny day. We are about 690 miles off the coast of Cape Canaveral, travelling about 18 kts.

I am concerned about my wi fi connection.....It is my link to everything. I will try again later. I hope to be able to answer all questions posted by the group.

Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Wi-Fi connection here on the Royale Promenade is 165kps…not bad. Much faster than Cybercabin

So would you recommend only going with the Wi-Fi

What is the cost of the Wi-Fi vs the Cybercabin hook up.

Good to hear about the beds being changed we are on in November and looking forward to it

Wow, the captain just got on the PA (overriding the cabin PA setting, so I guess he put it in emergency mode) and announced that we just had a slight list due to a problem with one of the pods. I don't understand the consequences except that we have apparently started moving again. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary sitting here in my Promenade cabin, as it's been rocking a bit since yesterday. I did have to remove the hangers from our closet as they were hitting against each other all night and kept waking me up. Turns out my kids (in the cabin next door) had taken theirs out the first night. I just put them on the floor; when I got back to my room after breakfast the cabin steward had piled them into the shelves under the mirrored area (where I am sitting right now).

Weather appears to be much better now so I guess I will head out to the pool.

So would you recommend only going with the Wi-Fi

What is the cost of the Wi-Fi vs the Cybercabin hook up.

Cybercabin is unlimited use for $125 (for 9 days). I was online for over 24 hours straight before getting disconnected last night. With WiFi, you pay by the minute, I think it's 50c.

Cybercabin IS slow, but I found that by turning off image display in Internet Explorer, it's gotten much better, especially on Cruise Critic. Other sites are not as bad, even with images on (of course, Radio's huge pictures in this thread also didn't help!). And I use Mailwasher to read my mail, so it only downloads new mail each time.

Radio,

I am a brand new fan. This is the first "Live from" that I have been treated to since joining cruise critic. What a GREAT idea and thank you so much for taking the time to treat the rest of us to glimpses of your wonderful vacation.

My husband is dying to know what camera you are using NOW and what camera you are planning to upgrade to. He is VERY impressed with the quality of the photographs. I am taking him on his first cruise on the Mariner in November. He hasn't a CLUE of the treat that is in store for him...(cackle, cackle).

The captain just got on again and said that the list had been 6 degrees to starboard side, Apparently a hydraulic line had burst which caused the problem. However, he said the system is now repaired and we are back on course.

Tried to put this in my original post but this board doesn't let you edit posts past 20 minutes (which is incredibly annoying and unlike any other board I use).

Hi Radio, Thanks for the live post again. It's getting me ready for my upcoming Grandeur cruise.

I do have one question how would you compare the food on the Explorer to that of the Grandeur. Just curious since you've been on both recently.

hey radio, misterbill99, et all........

hope to meet you at the M&M later today.....the 6 degree list felt a lot worse.....cant imagine what a 20 degree list feels like....i'll be wearing a there's no place like da bronx tshirt....btw, we were at the pursers station when we started listing and one behind the desk said to me that they forgot to feed the hamsters on the starboard side.....thats why the listing!

Thank you for posting your comments and photos from the current sailing.

My partner and I will be on the August 25th departure, and we both REALLY need the vacation. We've been on Jewel of the Seas twice (Baltics & Transatlantic) and the Grand Princess (Greek Isles).

I do have one question how would you compare the food on the Explorer to that of the Grandeur. Just curious since you've been on both recently.

It's FAR superior on Explorer. After my cruise on Grandeur last year, I almost swore of RCCL cruises because of the food. I had a great duck for dinner last night -- crispy and moist. I recall that last year on Grandeur it was very fatty. Although I still have a problem with them calling something "ivory chocolate fondue" when all it is is really white chocolate mousse with some frozen berries stuck in the middle. I've been trying to get to the dining room for lunch to see if the chocolate creme brulee is as bad as it was last year (where it was just chocolate pudding with some barely melted sugar on top).

That probably wasn't the answer you were looking for. Sorry.

Hey ...I'm back on Wi Fi ! ! I am up in the Viking Crown Lounge with a great connection speed.

I know the Captain said a 6 degree list...but it felt much worse. I was up on Deck12 Aft taking some pics when it happened. The only thing I could think of was the poor new Crown Princess off the coast of Cape Canaveral. At one point we were heading north ! after the big turn.

I saw water coming out of the pools, and spas. I went down to the promenade after we new what happened and there were liquor and perfume bottles knocked over....My attendant told me there were lots of plates that fell off of the tables in the dining room. Well, everything seems to be OK...for a long while we were only travelling 12 kts...and my GPS forecast us to arrive in St Thomas in 48 HRS,,,,,, It appears OK now ...we should arrive on time (1PM Monday) We are now 600 miles east of Palm Beach , FL and are travelling at 21 kts toward St Thomas....

Whew...for a moment.. I thought I would have to get to the muster station very fast ! All is well and I will attend the Meet and Mingle at 1PM.

Here are a few pics from last night and this morning.. many more on my site.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

I love JADE

pebkac.jpg

Entrance to Maharajas Lounge

pebkac.jpg

Water coming from the Aft Kids Pool

pebkac.jpg

We are still listing.....

pebkac.jpg

Here is the wake from our BIG turn...

pebkac.jpg

Thanks for the info MisterBill99, I wonder what the difference is. Is it just the Executive chef or something more like better food for the Voyager class. Oh well I'm sure I'll find something to eat and I don't have to worry about cooking or cleaning for 9 nights!

Great pic of the small list Radio.

Wow! A little scary but so great that the trouble with the pods and lists and turns isn't going to make you late to St. Thomas! The technology and planning must be truly amazing! We are so enjoying your photos and look forward to hearing more about the ocean lab tour.

Two questions:

How many minutes does it take to upload photos by wifi vs. cybercabin?

Is there any place to get helium balloons on ship? (We have two birthdays while onboard EOS in October and no one we know seems to remember any helium balloons onboard...ever.)

Thanks so much for using your valuable vacation time and sharing it with all of us!

Radio

Thanks agian for all you are doing.

Hope all is well onboard, despite the list.

That's a good thing you did not spill the drink

the captain would have to buys drinks HAHA

Do you know if they finished with the bedding on deck 10 I know you said there were doing some cabins.

Once agian thanks for all the up dates and photos

what is your web site?

Hello-

Thanks for all your postings. The ship looks beautiful. I can hardly wait to board on 8/25.

I read about the ship listing, but what exactly does that mean? What Happened? Is it rare for this to happen? Why does it happen? Obviously has never happened to us when on a ship, so I am a little clueless here.:confused:

Thanks a bunch and look forward to future postings.!:)

Hey, Radio! Hi! As always, I'll be following this "Live From". Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!

I posted #89 as a new thread on the Princess board hopefully to reassure pax, including me, that the Crown Princess isn't the only one. We're on the Crown in 3 weeks and we're booked on the Grandeur and the Explorer in the future. ;)

Very relieved to hear all is well.

Always a pleasure! Thanks again for taking the time. Please let DW know how much you're appreciated. :D

Karen

Baltimore

Archived