Dawn nice ship but wishing we were on the Diamond instead

K&M2CRUZ

We just got off the Dawn the ship was nice and all, but it seemed so crowded, there was always a long line at the restaraunts. We were on the Diamond last year and even though there was more people it seemed less crowded, we enjoyed it a lot more, I guess the grand class is for us!:D

That's strange . . . are you talking for the dining room or in general? We were on a couple of weeks ago and never encountered lineups - usually ate in the dining room between 6 - 6:30. Oh, just remembered a line-up once - at the pizzeria, had to wait for about 5 minutes but that was returning from Juneau at 7:00.

How was the rest of your cruise?

That's strange . . . are you talking for the dining room or in general? We were on a couple of weeks ago and never encountered lineups - usually ate in the dining room between 6 - 6:30. Oh, just remembered a line-up once - at the pizzeria, had to wait for about 5 minutes but that was returning from Juneau at 7:00.

How was the rest of your cruise?

Pretty much everything in general, don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time and really enjoyed ourselves, but we had such a wonderful time last year that I guess it is hard to compare. The one thing we really liked on the grand class is the four different themed restaraunts, and we really missed skywalkers and club fusion, Jammers seemed really stuffy and small. Oh well it is good to try new thing's and then you know what you will like better!

I like both for different reasons. But since Princess makes a point of "cloning" a lot of their ship decor, often times I felt like I was on the same class of ship. The public rooms were very similar on both.

i agree the sun class is much better. have done 2 of them and 2 grand. going on the golden transatlantic in dec.

The one thing we really liked on the grand class is the four different themed restaraunts, and we really missed skywalkers and club fusion, Jammers seemed really stuffy and small.

Glad you had a good cruise - is there really a bad one? I guess we were just at the right places at the right time . . . although I did find that there were crowds around the photos, trick was the timing. We have never been on the Sapphire / Diamond ships so we have never experienced the different themed restaraunts but we really enjoyed the steak house and the pizzeria.

My guess is that it may have been to quiet for you :D . There is a different clientelle on Alaskan cruises than to the warmer / tropical destinations. I know that the skywalkers is definitely large, wide open and much better lit. We went into Jammers a couple of nights but it was so dark . . . they were trying to get Princess Idol going but there were only a couple of people, that had drank far too much and thought they could sing, that were participating. Did you meet Asst. CD Adam in there - one of the places he hangs out.

Tahoestarr - I would say no worries at all . . . just do a little homework and you will know all of the tricks :D .

I agree with Nancy, I've been on both ships and loved them both. Each has its pros and cons. With the Sapphire you have all the amenities of a modern Grand Class ship. With the Dawn you get the extra service and attention on a smaller ship. I find that each gives you a different type of cruise experience.

We just got off the Dawn the ship was nice and all, but it seemed so crowded, there was always a long line at the restaraunts. We were on the Diamond last year and even though there was more people it seemed less crowded, we enjoyed it a lot more, I guess the grand class is for us!:D
We got off the Sea Princess (sister ship) just over a week ago and I almost never experienced lines. The only time I had to wait or get in line was at the outside grill. We never felt the ship was crowded, even though it was filled to capacity. There were a few nights when we couldn't find a table in the Crooners Bar area for a drink at night so we just walked down to outside the Wheelhouse bar and never had a problem. One of our favorite spots on the ship was the open deck area aft on Aloha deck which was lined with loungers, some covered, some uncovered. We never had a problem finding a lounger so we could read and watch the ocean. Maybe it was because most of the passengers were from the U.K. and were much more polite than on any cruise with mostly U.S. passengers that I've been on. Overall, I much prefer the Sun-class than the Grand-class ships -- mostly because of the passenger ratio and the open after deck area.

Tahoestarr - I was on Dawn last week and it was a completely full sailing. We enjoyed her very much, and did not feel crowded at all, but we did not go to Jammers... The Wheelhouse Bar is more our speed :D and there is never a crowd there.

I have also been on Diamond, and I really liked both ships for different reasons. Don't worry,enjoy yourself.

K&M2CRUZ - Glad your trip was good overall. Now you know which size ship works best for you.:)

I was on the Sun in June and didn't feel crowded at all. While I usually prefer the bigger, newer ships, I thought the Sun was lovely. It was Alaska, so didn't spend much time out on the decks so I don't know how it would feel as far as crowds for warm weather sailing.

K&M2Cruise - How was your weather on the Dawn Princess? The only thing I can think of (why it seemed more crowded) was that maybe the weather wasn't as good as the Diamond and more people were inside???

I sailed on the Radiance to Alaska and it poured all week. The ship felt extremely crowded because everyone was inside all the time.

I have sailed both Dawn and the sister to the Diamond and for me, the Dawn seemed less crowded.

We have done Dawn and the Ocean (Now Oceania) and the Star (Grand Class) much prefer the size of the Dawn and The Ocean to the Star.

We found the Star just too big Mind you we also done QM2 which was even bigger and didnt like her either.

I think that the mid size class of ship the Dawn etc suits us better , but on saying that we did not find quing a problem on any size ship and certainly was not crowded

We've been on the Sun and the Sea, and the Grand, Diamond, and Sapphire. We are in the minority who MUCH prefer the Diamond and Sapphire (but we miss the middle stairway on the Grand).

We like the Pizzerias on the Sun Class ships...it is really nice to have a slightly dressier alternative to the buffet for dinner. We don't like the buffet in the front of the ship with limited outdoor seating. And we never noticed an issue with lines on the Sun Class, but have on the Grand Class.

On the Grand Class, we love the outdoor area behind the Horizon Court...we generally grab our buffet meals and head outdoors. I almost can't be on a colder weather cruise without an indoor pool. I love the spa area and pools (particularly on the Diamond/Sapphire). But I really hate the lines, and especially the crowded feel in the area outside Sabatinis and the internet cafe where that darn photo gallery is. Why can't they get that totally electronic and allow people to access it on their in cabin TVs????

Just a few rambling thoughts...

We have sailed both the Dawn and Sapphire. Never really noticed any long lines except outside the dining room for traditional dining. Both ships had a large groups waiting. But if you get there a few minutes after the stated time, the lines will be almost gone.

We will sail both classes again.

Our first Princess cruise was on the Dawn. We were disappointed as the cabin we got "upgraded" to was a balcony with berth beds. We booked a balcony with a queen. The beds were attached to the walls and folded up or were stationary.

Our others were on the Grand and Diamond. They were much nicer ships. The Dawn is OK but not one of our favorites.

I was on the Sun in June and didn't feel crowded at all. While I usually prefer the bigger, newer ships, I thought the Sun was lovely. It was Alaska, so didn't spend much time out on the decks so I don't know how it would feel as far as crowds for warm weather sailing.

Just read you were on the Sun in June ~ we are taking the Seattle to Fort Lauderdale trip in September. How did you like the food and service? We signed up for traditional dining but wonder if we should try anytime dining. Do you have any input? Tahnks Els

Our first Princess cruise was on the Dawn. We were disappointed as the cabin we got "upgraded" to was a balcony with berth beds. We booked a balcony with a queen. The beds were attached to the walls and folded up or were stationary.

I will agree with you on this. The triple/quad balconies on the Sun Class ship have very bad configurations. I would avoid this type of cabin on these ships.

Archived