Crown Service Review -8/7

Sandytoes

This is my take on the service I received while aboard the Crown starting with those who I dealt with on a daily basis.

I try to talk to as many crew members as possible, building a friendly relationship. This in return has helped me get the exceptional service while on my cruise.

There are a few things I found out that was a little disappointing in how Princess takes care of their staff. After the List, Princess made them get right back to work and didn't ask them how any one was feeling. This made them very upset and angry. Princess didn't care about their crew.....Then, when the ship sailed back to NY without any passengers they were expected to work, clean the ship without getting paid....One crew member complained and said "who works for free?" Princess then told the crew that they might get paid for working those 2 days.....Also, the food that is offered to the staff is totally different than what we eat....It is very basis food....Not much to be desired.....All the crew loss weight because it's horrible food.....All the left over food is thrown away...Crew members are not allowed to eat it at all....They are watched very closely. Their life onboard is not private at all….

Most of the crew are friendly and courteous, and went above and beyond to provide me with the service I expected....From past cruises I knew that to get great service I want I have to deal with certain nationalities....Sorry to say that there is one nationality I try to avoid, knowing I'm not going to get the service I'm expecting on my cruise......And you know, it's true.....The certain nationalities staff who helped me were very pleasant to be around on the Crown.....They went out of their way for me without asking.....

Cabin Steward - She was the best C.S. I have ever had....All I had to do is ask one time for something and it was taken care of immediately. Never needed to ask again....I wanted the extra chair removed to give us more room to walk around the cabin and within minutes she had it removed and stored somewhere on the ship. Everyday I had extra towels – for my hair and beach/pool towels. Room was always spotless….I always thanked her for her service…I think she appreciated that.

Head Waiter was very polite, friendly, and professional....He would go out of his way to serve us....More so than other dining passengers who were sitting right next to us....I guess he felt very comfortable with us.....I always asked him how his day was…Each time – Excellent…He never complained….Always offered us extra food….He truly took care of us…Went out of his way each night to shake our hands Goodnight…..It made our dining experience a pleasure…Couldn’t ask for anything more…..

Bar staff - Friendly, what more can I say....Made great drinks....

Youth Security - They were everywhere. Watching over 800 children who were on board.

Wait Staff around decks – always available. Served in a friendly matter.

I think it’s how you treat them that make's the world of difference on the service that is given to you…. Treat them well and you will reap an important benefit which in return will make your cruise a memorable one.

Sandytoes-We couldn't agree more as far as the staff. Our overall opinion was that these poor people were so overworked and under-staffed. We believed that Princess may have tried to down size on the staff with this ship to see how it would work. Everyone that we dealt with was kind, but you could see the forced smiles under this kindness. On the Grand Princess, when immigration was needed, staff was at every corner guiding passengers to where they had to go. On this ship there was no one. Passengers were asking passengers where they were supposed to go etc. Loved this cruise don't get me wrong, but we totally agree with your assessment.

Hi guys,

I found the service all over the ship to be okay. We had anytime dining and the service at dinner was not the best. We got somewhat nasty/disgusted looks when we took our time ordering etc. and asked for more coffee. One meal we actually were ignored and didn't get a second cup. However, this did not really damper the experience. I think overall, it was one of the best cruises we have been on. Perhaps knowing so many people ahead of time and meeting a few really nice people help make this so. We typically stay to ourselves on a cruise which was not the case on this one. I found most passengers to be extremely nice and friendly, which was a big plus.

Did you notice that any crew member you asked about the "list" said it wasn;t bad because they were " asleep in their cabin"! Odd, the entire crew was asleep directly after sailaway!

Obvisouly, Princess had given the instructions on what to say.

Did you notice that any crew member you asked about the "list" said it wasn;t bad because they were " asleep in their cabin"! Odd, the entire crew was asleep directly after sailaway!

Yes my Steward said he was thrown out of bed when it happened and it is pitch black down where the crew sleep so he struggled to find the light switch. He didn't know what was going on and he was quite shaken up. I felt really bad for him.What a nice guy I actually was going to use his real name but I thought he might get into trouble with Princess for telling me his story at all. Do you think Princess reads this board and would punnish someone for saying anything they don't like?

I hope everyone that is writing or reading about how hard those employees work don't just offer thanks but remembers them when it is time to check out and adds more to the daily recommended TIP that Princess automatically assesses every passenger.

How many actually give the Head Waiter anything?

How many are at the Purser Desk complaining about having to pay for the waiter service on a certain day that they only ate in the buffet or alternative restaurant or we on a island all day and missed a meal. They still had to set up the table and be there. If you refuse to TIP them they worked for nothing.

miched - You are right.

During dinner I watched how many people got up from their seats on the last night and didn't even acknowledge the staff. No hand shake, no extra tip.

I really think most people don't care how hard the crew members work.

Our Waiter served Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...From morning till night and never once did he complain. On the last day we always give extra $$$ tip to all those who had served us on the cruise. We give the Head Waiter a little more than the co-server, plus our cabin steward.

A few extra bucks mean the world to these people.

I fill out the Recognition Cards and leave a comment on the service I received from that particular staff member...I was told Princess read's each one and takes the cards very seriously. If they get an excellent evaluation they get a day off which is something they truly need and strive for. Especially since they work 7 days a week straight for 10-11 months....

It seems people just have different experiences. We too got looks when we asked for more tea/coffee and when we took our time ordering. Salads were forgotten, no sugar on table, had to ask more than twice for a soda at dinner, etc. I do appreciate how much the crew works...however, service with a smile is not too hard of a task to complete if you ask me. If you read my "Addition to my Crown review regarding service" thread, it will give you a taste of the "attitude" we got from some of the crew members. One night at dinner, our bus boy AND waiter got into a fight...yes, a fight right in front of us at our dinner table.

I agree with you 100%. I know that cruise ship employees work extraordinarily hard and for long hours weeks and months in a row without any real time off. Then to have to mix all that with rude passengers isn't very pleasant at all. I always am very friendly and polite with everyone I meet on a cruise ship and I can say that in 27 cruises I have never had bad service. Certainly some have been better than others but none have ever been bad.

Just like your mommy told you when you were growing up: Do unto others….

Sandytoes-We couldn't agree more as far as the staff. Our overall opinion was that these poor people were so overworked and under-staffed. We believed that Princess may have tried to down size on the staff with this ship to see how it would work. Everyone that we dealt with was kind, but you could see the forced smiles under this kindness. On the Grand Princess, when immigration was needed, staff was at every corner guiding passengers to where they had to go. On this ship there was no one. Passengers were asking passengers where they were supposed to go etc. Loved this cruise don't get me wrong, but we totally agree with your assessment.

I totally agree about them downsizing or being overworked, Mary. When we disembarked, I actually saw my fantastic waiter pushing oncoming passengers in wheelchairs. He was by the bus helping them into their chairs. I have never seen anything like this before.

This is my take on the service I received while aboard the Crown starting with those who I dealt with on a daily basis.

I try to talk to as many crew members as possible, building a friendly relationship. This in return has helped me get the exceptional service while on my cruise.

There are a few things I found out that was a little disappointing in how Princess takes care of their staff. After the List, Princess made them get right back to work and didn't ask them how any one was feeling. This made them very upset and angry. Princess didn't care about their crew.....Then, when the ship sailed back to NY without any passengers they were expected to work, clean the ship without getting paid....One crew member complained and said "who works for free?" Princess then told the crew that they might get paid for working those 2 days.....Also, the food that is offered to the staff is totally different than what we eat....It is very basis food....Not much to be desired.....All the crew loss weight because it's horrible food.....All the left over food is thrown away...Crew members are not allowed to eat it at all....They are watched very closely. Their life onboard is not private at all….

Most of the crew are friendly and courteous, and went above and beyond to provide me with the service I expected....From past cruises I knew that to get great service I want I have to deal with certain nationalities....Sorry to say that there is one nationality I try to avoid, knowing I'm not going to get the service I'm expecting on my cruise......And you know, it's true.....The certain nationalities staff who helped me were very pleasant to be around on the Crown.....They went out of their way for me without asking.....

Cabin Steward - She was the best C.S. I have ever had....All I had to do is ask one time for something and it was taken care of immediately. Never needed to ask again....I wanted the extra chair removed to give us more room to walk around the cabin and within minutes she had it removed and stored somewhere on the ship. Everyday I had extra towels – for my hair and beach/pool towels. Room was always spotless….I always thanked her for her service…I think she appreciated that.

Head Waiter was very polite, friendly, and professional....He would go out of his way to serve us....More so than other dining passengers who were sitting right next to us....I guess he felt very comfortable with us.....I always asked him how his day was…Each time – Excellent…He never complained….Always offered us extra food….He truly took care of us…Went out of his way each night to shake our hands Goodnight…..It made our dining experience a pleasure…Couldn’t ask for anything more…..

Bar staff - Friendly, what more can I say....Made great drinks....

Youth Security - They were everywhere. Watching over 800 children who were on board.

Wait Staff around decks – always available. Served in a friendly matter.

I think it’s how you treat them that make's the world of difference on the service that is given to you…. Treat them well and you will reap an important benefit which in return will make your cruise a memorable one.

Great post. I noticed how the higher-ups were treating the crew members in the hours after the list. They weren't too nice, and were yelling and ordering them around. I can't agree more with what you said about how they treat their employees. It's sad to think that these people leave their families on a 6 month (at least) contract, only to be treated less than civil by not only their bosses, but many passengers as well.

Please, respect the crew members.

Hi guys,

I found the service all over the ship to be okay. We had anytime dining and the service at dinner was not the best. We got somewhat nasty/disgusted looks when we took our time ordering etc. and asked for more coffee. One meal we actually were ignored and didn't get a second cup. However, this did not really damper the experience. I think overall, it was one of the best cruises we have been on. Perhaps knowing so many people ahead of time and meeting a few really nice people help make this so. We typically stay to ourselves on a cruise which was not the case on this one. I found most passengers to be extremely nice and friendly, which was a big plus.

LDTC - I'm glad you didn't stay to yourselves! I loved seeing you and your DH almost everyday around the ship. I'm also thrilled we all got to go to the rainforest together. My kids had a ball with Mr. LDTC. They reported he was the first in the waterfall and the last to get out :D . I too felt that the best part was knowing so many people. That's what helped makethe cruise for me. Thanks for organizing the M&G

Who was your C.S. and Head Waiter??

spingal- Our Waiter's name was Frances and his assistant's name was Alvin. Both are from the Philippines. He told us that they serve up to 40 people a night. Which doesn't sound like a huge amount. But, when you watch and see what they are doing for those 40 people you can understand how trying their job is.

They are located in the DaVinci dining room. As I said earlier. We were very lucky finding him the first night in DaVinci and stuck with him each and every night.... When we decided to have a set time with him the Head MATRI'D assigned the same table every night. Table 417....I kept thinking I should play Lotto, but they do not have that on board.....:(

I asked for lemons for my water....By the 3 night they would automatically place lemons in my water. On the last night we had 1/4 left of Champagne in the bottle, we were just about to get up, Frances ran to our table and said we have some left. We said that's okay. He said no, you should not waste a good bottle of Champagne....Being very kind and considerate. We did stay and finish, yummm.....He always gave us extra's. Sometimes it was just to much for us to eat....But we felt guilty leaving it...Knowing how they eat and all....Let's just say I have some weight issues to contend to know.

As for our C.S. Her name is Georgieta. She wanted to leave Princess last year. She is fed-up with how she is treated. They begged her to stay and be on the Crown since they were short handed in staff and needed all the help they could get.....I didn't ask her when her contract was over. But on the last day when we handed her - her extra tip and gift she said she would like to see us again and that we were the nicest people she has ever met....

As for meeting people on board....I tell you it was the best....There were so many nice, kind, and talkative people. I met so many interesting people from around the country....Plus, it was a complete surprise to see even friends on board. Wasn't aware they booked the same cruise.....

SandyToes,

Thanks for all the info. I have really enjoyed reading what you have to say about service and the crew on the Crown Princess. I am treating a friend to a Crown cruise on 30Sept as I do not want to cruise alone. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I tend to overtip but that is just my nature.

Tim

My favorite thing about the my 7/11 Crown cruise was the service. I thought it was unbelievably wonderful. :D

I'm thinking maybe a lot of them were affected by the incident on 7/18 and they are still dealing with it. They weren't able to spend time with loved ones, etc. I know they were shaken up as much as pax were. :(

This may have something to do with it.:confused:

I was on this sailing and I disagree with what you said. Im sure the crew had to clean up the damage, but if they worked, they most likely got paid. If there was nothing for you to do, for example, Youth Security/Youth Staff, they probably just got 2 days off, unpaid. It depends on what department they are in.

I asked the teen staff where they can eat and they said they can eat at the Horizon Court, Caribe Cafe, the Pizzeria, and The Trident Grill. Maybe it all depends on what department you are in, but the teen staff/youth security do have a choice. Also, I asked a Youth Security person if she ever ate in the dining room, and she said the crew got to from Florida to NY, post list, and it was very good.

I don't totally disagree with you but I know that it is not totally that way for all crew members.

From past cruises I knew that to get great service I want I have to deal with certain nationalities....Sorry to say that there is one nationality I try to avoid, knowing I'm not going to get the service I'm expecting on my cruise......And you know, it's true.....The certain nationalities staff who helped me were very pleasant to be around on the Crown.....They went out of their way for me without asking.....

Glad to know you had a great time. Could you give us a hint on that nationality you tried to avoid ? Just curious to know, not gonna argue about it.

Yes, my steward was also asleep in his cabin. No, he was not given instructions on what to say. His (and probably most cabin stewards) time off was 2-5 pm, which is right during the incident time. They need that time to rest - they start early in the morning, and go until late at night, 7 days a week. Plus, it wasn't directly after sailaway - it was about 1 1/2 hours after we left port (it just takes a long time to get through that shipping channel, which is why we were still close to port).

CSkier71 -

Im sure the crew had to clean up the damage, but if they worked, they most likely got paid.

I was told by several crew members Cabin Steward, Bar Attentants, Wait Staff that they weren't going to get paid for the 2 days without passengers....I think it's because they work on a tip salary alone. Whereas other members like the cruise director work on a yearly salary.

FYI, the 2 crew members that were hurt during the List, one is still in the hospital. What happened 2 large food carts fell on top of him.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and sumguy1

I had a great time....I would do it all over again....

Sad part was that I didn't book another cruise while on board....Thought about it but never made an effort to go to the Cruise Center....I was making sure my DH was having a very relaxful vacation....And boy - was it....

Archived