Any Ideas for Long Casual Black Dress

:o Hi girls! Oh, it's so strange, these new boards. But, I'm getting used to them! I can't believe that I lost my 4,000 posts, though! Ugh...

Anyhow, I have a long black Ralph Lauren sleeveless dress that I absolutely love. It's great to travel in with a sweater or with a scarf tied around my waist. I just love the dress. It's that stretchy material, and I think because I have tossed it in the good ol' washing machine one tooooo :eek: many times, that it has shrunk.

Any ideas on where to find a long, almost floor length, stretchy fabric black dress that I can dress up with a strand of pearls or simply wear on the airplane.

As always, thanks for sharing!

Janet :o

Good question. Brings to mind a similar dress I've got but never worn because it's too long:( . It's black, short sleeves, very casual, comfy cotton. I like the idea of a scarf at the waist to "bring it up" and dress it up a little.

Where can I find a colorful and long enough scarf (online) to double as a belt? I prefer shopping for items like this online, I hate malls!:eek:

Thanks for the idea and any advice!!

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

Try travelsmith.com They have a summer catalog you can send for now. You will probably find the "little black dress" in the fall or winter catolog. Good Luck mems

There I said it. "At the Mall.." This comes from the person who gets a kick out of pushing all the elevator buttons when she's on a cruise, and thinks it's funny.:cool:

Whoaa, if we did that then we'd have to have an age limit in the other direction, too. Just take her comment in stride. I know I probably said things like that to my mom, I'm just too old to remember, but at 47 my 11 year old DD keeps me on my toes.

I did see some beautiful scarfs and shawls in Dillards in South FL. I live in PA and we don't have one here that I know of. Long colorful scarfs....very pretty and I should have bought a shawl, but my DD side tracked me!!!!

Thanks Grits, I'll check Dillards out. And, BTW, I'm NOT this child's mother thank God!:eek: In my opinion most young teenagers need to be locked in a closet until they grow up!

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Hi JanetMarie - Know what you mean about "losing" all your old posts!

I second citiknits from QVC. They (Citiknits) are having a Today's Special Value tomorrow so they should be on various times during the day. I've got a long sleeveless dress from them I can use for either formal or casual night, depending on accessories.

QVC also has a line called Susan Graver. She might have something like what you're looking for.

Happy hunting!

Hi, Janet Marie,

Travelsmith.com has a number of these never-wrinkle, stretchy, washable dresses. Here's one that sounds like just what you are describing:

http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/cookie.jsp?ContentOID=226764&Category=%2fProductHierarchy%2fWomen's+Travelwear%2f+++Dresses+%26+Skirts&Category1=%2fProductHierarchy%2fWomen's+Travelwear&source=subcategory.jsp

If that doesn't work as a link, go to the website and search for item #6210.

Talking about mature women clothes.....

Just returned from a 4 day cruise...being 40+ never bothered me before.

So really, when a handsome 22 yr old bumped into me he said" oh pardon me Ma'am". Growleled at my husband that I am now am a Ma'am. He laughed and said get use to it.... Not ready to be a Ma'am yet.

Iszu!!! Good to see you!!!

Yes, I see that Citiknits is on tonight from 5 to 7 p.m. (I think). I have their black slacks and vest outfit, and I recently purchased their long black skirt, but I won't wear that until the Fall rolls around.

It's good to get used to these new boards and to "seeing" everyone again!

Janet:o

:) Hi Janet...nope, that picture was taken in May 2002 in Charleston, South Carolina.

I was on vacation (the year before I re-found cruising) with a girlfriend from work....we drove up the East Coast...Charleston, then to NC, final destination being Williamsburg, Virginia.

I must admit, we had a great time.... I was standing on the roof of a restaurant...set up with tables and chairs and umbrellas...overlooking the water...

Life is funny...I believe cruise ships dock somewhere by "the Battery" area in Charleston...not too far from where I was standing;)

Hi JanetMarie, Hi Lois - It's good to be back. I was hiding out for a while. Ha ha ha.

Anybody get the Citiknits TSV? I ordered it in the navy, along with the short sleeve v-neck shirt that goes with it. I think their colors usually look fall / winter-ish, too, but the floral will be nice for cruising and they pack so well. I also have a pair of navy pumps to go with the solid side and a cute pair of lighter blue sandals for the floral side.

How come I don't seen any Lois picutes? This new format is weird.

Lois's Avatar is a nice photo, as she explained in the post above where she was standing.

I guess the system is still working the tweeks out. :eek:

I didn't see the special value today!!! I'll have to sneak on over to the QVC site!!! Shhh - don't tell the boss! Do any of you other gals have the cruise critic site "minimized" on your monitor? I do!!!!! Shhhhh!!!! ;)

hi girls.....:)

lszu..you can't see my picture? wow thats weird:confused:.

Well, it looks like I am going to be trying a HAL cruise....its so strange going to a different cruiseline!!

I was supposed to be going to Bermuda on HORIZON but due to unforseen circumstances have to cancel it.

I still want to cruise in Sept....HAL has a REALLY LOW Solo rate...and its one of their newer ships...The Zuiderdam....its supposed to be very nice. And 2 ports new to me.....Tortolla and their own private Island...supposed to be like resort on its own.

It is scarey though, when you find a cruiseline you LOVE (Celebrity for me) and then go on something different....

Any of you sail HAL? I have a girlfriend who went on this ship last year...she had a wonderful week...told me I would love it.

I haven't booked yet.....still talking to some folks on the HAL board to get some input too.

It really is good to see you girls again:).

I figured it out - why I couldn't see you, Lois. I had to fix my profile. That's a great picture! Also explains why all the times of the posts looked funny to me. I was set on GMT or something instead of good old EST.

Yes, JanetMarie, I keep an open window and switch back and forth between here and BE Addicts forum. Check out the TSV. It's a cute outfit. Not sure how long it's going to be on me, but I like long skirts, so I should be O.K.

Lois, I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever line your on. Friends of ours did a HAL cruise last year and loved it. I tend to stick with RCL, but we're in their "Crown & Anchor" repeaters club so we get some pretty good deals. If they ever start accepting that on Celebrity, I'd like to try them, too. DH and I have heard lots of good things about them.

Archived