Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier

oh2gocruisin

Could anyone offer insight about the differences between these two? We're looking at late May/early June, if that makes any difference. Bigger glaciers, more glaciers, wildlife, etc? Since they're referred to as "scenic cruising" on the itinerary I guess that means the ships just cruise these areas making them basically "sea days" as opposed to port days? Would appreciate any help.

Hubbard is definately a VERY beautiful large glacier, but I will always have the preference for Glacier Bay- all day sailing past several glaciers, excellent Park Service Ranger commentary. Slightly more change of wildlife sailing Glacier Bay area- but most people see none. A good pair of at least 10 power binoculars is necessary in my opinion. And depending on your sailing time and direction, be out on a front deck WAY ahead or after if you want a opportunity to see humpbacks at Point Adolphus.

Our problem on the August 5 cruise was the weather at Hubbard. Very foggy so the captain didn't stay long. Could hardly see the glacier itself. On previous two trips, though, Hubbard was magnificent.

Also like Glacier Bay for the number and variety of glaciers plus the wildlife. It's a beautiful area of Alaska.

The scale of Glacier Bay is awesome, but for me, seeing and hearing a glacier calving is THE experience I want, and Hubbard is by far the star in that regard. http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/4126.html is what it looked like the first of June this year.

Murray

I have been to Glacier Bay, College Fjords and Tracy Arm and haven't experienced the calving in your picture. I REALL...........Y want to experience what you did. I guess it is just pure luck. Both of our trips have been during the week of May 22nd. Perhaps next time, when we sail through Hubbard, we will see the calving.

Thank you all for being so helpful. Yukon, amazing photograph and thanks for the link, lots of great information there. This will be our first cruise to Alaska and even though there's more reading to be done it doesn't sound like either of these areas would be a disappointment and that's what I needed to know. Thanks again.

Kathy

Archived