Cruising Single!

slavearlen

Yeah, I prebook everything from the future cruise desk while onboard to get that credit, then combine with any coupons, transfer to a ta who will split commission and use my shareholders benefit. Sometimes I think they pay me to go! :D

This was the most informative thread I have ever read, for my own personal gain, of course.

I have been dragging whomever I could on a cruise with me, not to travel alone. Sometimes my companion is great, sometimes, I wish I had went alone. But I have always had this fear of being solo.

You guys have been encouraging and enlightening. It is wonderful that so many of you gave yourselves the opportunity to try solo, and it worked out so well for you.

Maybe one day, I will be able to do the same. I thank you all so much for your input and opinions. But most of all I thank you for giving me some courage to maybe one day, cruise solo on my own.

One question, when you book a cruise, do you look for certain aspects, besides monetary, that would make cruising a little easier going solo? Like a cruise that doesnt have a large group booking? or one that caters to solo passengers? Are some cruise lines better to take than others? Thanks again.

Linda

Hi Linda:) glad we helped in your decision...really, cruising solo is wonderful!

You asked about certain bookings....well, for me, (and I cannot speak for anyone else) the price is really my deciding factor.

I love Celebrity...and have been on my 3 cruises with them solo. I was able to find a price point I could afford and they are my favorite cruiseline. I don't really care if there are "singles" on board. It is very easy for me to meet people and on a cruise ship...its a piece of cake:D .

Now, I am sailing on Holland America for the first time in September. I was planning to sail Celebrity but my plans changed at the last minute......and HAL's price for solo cruisers is VERY GOOD. Much better than Celebrity....I am just hoping my new experience turns out to be a good one~!

Good luck with whatever cruise you decide to book:)

I chose the cruise just as I would if I were going with someone: do I like the ship, ports, time frame, price, etc. As for a large group, one of the greatest cruises I ever went on was one with a large group of Jaycees. They kind of 'adopted'me as they had lots of cou[les and single guys but no single women! I had more dance partners than I could count, never bought a drink and they even took me on their excursions!! What a blast!!

My motto, try it, you might like it! Be open to new experiences and just give new things a go!

I am already booked on 2 cruises for this year with friends, and then family. I am looking at Hawaii for next year, thats the ONE I would do solo. I will let you guys know when I book it, cause I am sure I will need a lot of reassurance and encouragement! I know it sounds silly to people who have cruised solo for years, but for me, its kind of a "fear of the unknown" type of thing. I too, am friendly and educated and fun. I am sure I wont have a problem at all finding a good time. I guess that sometimes, I am just not comfortable alone. But, like I said, you guys gave me lots of courage and I will keep you posted! Thanks again

I have nbever cruised solo, but plan to this coming October, and I am looking forward to it.

Actually, going with the friend that i usually travel with is almost like going solo. She does her thing, I do mine, and sometimes other passengers say they cannot believe we even know each other!!

So the only difference I can see this time -- I will have the whole closet, and can dump stuff on the second bed.

I have traveled solo all over Europe as well as into all four corners of the States. I have rented cars and tooled alone around Ireland, France, Germany,Switzerland, Portugal, Spain and several places in between. I thilnk cruising might be a little easier solo, since there always will be other folks around if I need them. (Especially now that I am older and don't move so fast.)

It is not that I am unsocial. Friends say I would talk to a stump if there was no one else around. I was a newspaper reporter all my working career and I am used to asking questions, breaking the ice, walking in cold to interviews and other social situations. I like people, all kinds of people, and I like finding out about them. I also like people watching. I can be happy on a park bench if there is life going on around me!

I know I had rather go it alone that with a companion who cannot do things on her own. I do not like people hanging on to me. But I do enjoy them walking, trotting of even just standing along beside me!

The only drawback I can see to single cruising is the same for single touring of any kind -- that single supplement. It seems kinda unfair to have to pick up the cost for someone who is not there.

love
joan

:) Joan, you were a newspaper reporter? You oughta do an article on the dreaded "Single Supplement for Solo Cruisers"....I bet you might get some corporate folks to listen;)

Wallis:
Each Friday or Saturday, travel agents get what is called "Happy Hour Specials" faxed and emailed to them. They are effective the following Tuesday for NEW individual bookings only and offer a single supplement of 150%. The cruises are usually for 30-45 days out and offer excellent prices for most catagories. They are combinable w/air, also, which is good since air that close in can be expensive. Check with your agent for further details. It's great when you live near a port of embarkation. Hope this answers you question. Michael

[quote name='Lois R']:) Joan, you were a newspaper reporter? You oughta do an article on the dreaded "Single Supplement for Solo Cruisers"....I bet you might get some corporate folks to listen;)[/QUOTE]

+++++++++++++++++
I have written about it several times over the years, and in various travel magazines.

While it hits cruisers most and the worst, it also punishes singles who stay in fine hotels, or who want to take some other kinds of tours. As you probably well know.

Anytime you see a price for a vacation amenity followed by p.p., (or sometimes p.p.p.) you know as a single you are not going to like it. Flying is is about the only thing that does not impose a tax on the single traveler -- and even then you occasionally encounter a great 2 for 1 offer that will not reduce to half price!!!!

love
joan

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]I can only agree 100% on all the comments about cruising solo. I have done it 50% of my cruises and have 2 more solo cruises coming up this Fall. I also have travelled with a son, once, and girlfriends twice. There are advantages to both solo and double. Please don't feel sorry if you think you see a solo cruiser, we are having a great time! In fact, on my upcoming solo cruise in Sept, one of my chat group ladies invited me to eat at their table...nice gesture. I took her up on it. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]Never thought of having a martini and formal dinner in my cabin, solo, in a t-shirt. Might just try that, soon, thanks for the suggestion![/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]Joramrose/Joan...you and I think alike! Didn't know someone else out there felt the same way. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]A cruise is what you want it to be, solo or otherwise. Just enjoy the vacation, beautiful islands, and feel thankful for the opportunity to cruise. :D [/color][/size][/font]

I too agree with all of the above. My first cruise was after my divorce when I cruised with my mom and my young daughter. Had a great time and did get some much needed attention. :D My next cruise was with a casual friend who thought she was the Marilyn Monroe of the 80's or at the very least, the hottest thing on the ship. I did my own thing and had a wonderful time. Then some company came out with the concept of Single World. They booked blocks of cabins and arranged for cabinmates. Since they didn't do any type of background checks, that didn't fly but it could have if they had done their job. I think the biggest problem was that there had to be at least 4 sponsers on the ship and they did everything they could to book the amount of singles needed to get their free cruise. It's actually a good thing that that practice had been stopped. It was also the times of all of the ships officers spending way too much time going after the single women. I don't think that is even allowed anylonger. After that I booked solo. I agree with all others, I always had a fantastic cruise and never had a problem meeting people to spend time with and being invited for drinks or into ports or just good conversation around the pool.

Now that I'm married I cannot even imagine cruising without my husband, but we do different things at different times and I still meet really nice people on my own in all of the different places on the ship. We of course do all of the important things together but if you cruise single, you will find someone to do those things with also. :)

Slavearlen:

Check out [url]www.yourowncabin.com/[/url]
for good pricing on single occupancy cabins.

I took my first 'solo' trip in May of this year (a short San Francisco to Vanc via Alaska) and it was wonderful. Very relaxing. And, if you're in people-intensive work, it can be very good to just be quiet for a while. Not needing to talk unless you choose to. You can also have a long, relaxing day in the cabin with no interruptions if you'd like. While I did miss my family from time-to-time, I would go again solo anytime.

happy voyage

Gale
Oregon

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b][b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm not the OP, but I do appreciate this thread. I just booked my first cruise as a solo passenger yesterday, though not on a Celebrity ship. I couldn't get a good single rate for the time I wanted. Booked on Caribbean Princess for next January. I was a little nervous about going alone, but after reading this thread I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not shy, I'm a corporate trainer and spend a lot of time talking to people I don't know, so I'm not worried about that. I'm liking the thought of having the cabin all to myself and being able to do what I want whenever I want! Thanks to everyone for all the great information!![/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Terri[/font][/b]

Hi Terri...that is great:D you know we are here for any information you need!

You have cruised enough to know all the ins and outs....you will have a BLAST:)

The more I find out about sailing solo the more excited I'm getting! There are so many positives - having more space, doing what I want whenever I want, a better opportunity for meeting new people! Plus I love the ininerary of this cruise, it has 3 sea days and I love those. Sounds like I'm going to have a wonderful time.

Terri

Archived