Should I become a TA?

cyndeeee

I am almost 50 yrs old, and always wanted to be a TA, Do you think it is worth doing an on line course in Travel and Tourism? so I can get discounts on my traveling (cruises) mostly? or should I just enjoy my traveling, and forget it? or maybe get a part-time job with a TA and hope they will train me?

Thank you for any insight

Cyndeee

I am almost 50 yrs old, and always wanted to be a TA, Do you think it is worth doing an on line course in Travel and Tourism? so I can get discounts on my traveling (cruises) mostly? or should I just enjoy my traveling, and forget it? or maybe get a part-time job with a TA and hope they will train me?

Thank you for any insight

Cyndeee

You should do it only if you are serious about doing it well and helping others get the most out of their travel dollar and experience. We don't need any more TAs who don't know what they're doing.

If you're doing it so save on your own vacations,I'd suggest your time could be better spent doing something that you were good at and use that money earned to pay for your vacations.

Cyndeee, I say go for it girl. :) But I wouldn't do it just to get discounts.

I have also thought about this myself....I do a lot of travel agent work just for our own vacations such as checking on flights, hotels, cruise itineraries, etc.

Do you know any TAs that would hire you on a part-time basis, to start, so you can get to know the business. I'm sure that in order to assist people with their vacation plans and actually make bookings you will have to get a TA license (if required in your State).

And as a TA I say do not go for it. First of all, if you think those discounts are that great, think again plus most of the time you can only book a few weeks out (this isn't always the case) The on line classes will help you, but being a TA is a little more than many realize and you do not get rich doing it for a living.

Most states do not require TAs to have a lisence; in fact I am surprised to hear this even being mentioned, but I can tell you one thing: the minute an owner hears the words "I want to get discounts" they automatically will not hire you.

By the way, I have never used a TA discount for a cruise, I have for hotels and have gotten airline tickets comped a couple of times. Another thing many don't know: even if you use a TA discount, get confirmed on a cruise and have a cabin assignment you can still be bumped at the last minute. Now, do you want to be an agent to get a discounted something, maybe once or twice a year. Good agents work very hard, many out there are not good. By the way, some agencies will train you. this is becoming more popular all the time, but after the training you are low man on the totem pole, will most likely work weekends and may even be hourly at min wage or a little better. NMNita

You should do it only if you are serious about doing it well and helping others get the most out of their travel dollar and experience. We don't need any more TAs who don't know what they're doing.

If you're doing it so save on your own vacations,I'd suggest your time could be better spent doing something that you were good at and use that money earned to pay for your vacations.

The minute my boss hears anyone applying ask about discounts on travel he assists them out of the office. I agree with you 100 times over. NMnita

Instead of a TA career, which overall is low paying and little benefits. Go with an airline. Superb benefits, flight benefits but also big discounts for cruises, hotels and rental cars. They extend through the entire travel industry. Travel agents don't. Plus the late booking is ideal if you are an airline employee- pick up that cheap cruise then use the flight benefits to get there. :)

I can tell you that being in the business since 1987 most of my cruises have been booked as I would any of my passengers and the only advantage I have is that I save my commission. There are many times when the agent rate is actually more than the rate I would pay with a senior discount or some other hot deal. Plus as previously stated the cruise line has the option of bumping you off your cruise. The problem also arises when you need to book air , or your spouse needs to put in for time off of work, or even when you are traveling with others and you need to know for sure that your cruise is confirmed. The cruise lines do not make it easy to take advantage of being an agent. I used to own a cruise only agency for years and in those days I did get to go on some free trips to see ships, again I was the owner and only rarely did I get to take others with me. Believe me, you do not get rich and you work very hard if you care about your clients. I agree that it would be better to get a part-time job and earn money that you could then spend on your vacation.

As a past owner I will say that even in the cruise only agency it took a hugh amount of time to fully train an agent so an owner would want to know that the commitment was there.

Vicki

After 27 yrs in this business, I can attest to everyone else's comments. Another thing is you are not automatically entitled to discounts (what few are out there). If you are an inside, full time agent you must wait 6 months before being eligible for IATAN benefits. If you are a part time, work from home, independent agent you must wait this time frame, PLUS, you must earn $5000.00 a yr in commissions to qualify.

Somewhat off-topic here, but I've been curious about the TA commission rate. If I book my wife and myself on a long cruise that generates, say $5,000, how much is the TA company paid? I'm not interested in the individual agent. I'm just curious how much of my fare the cruise line is willing to hand over.

Scott

Another thing to keep in mind is that you dont get paid until after your client goes on their trip. So for the first year or so, you might not have anything to show for all your hard work. Plus with all the discounts out there, MIL, Past PAX, Over 55 means your overall commission is less. Plus your commission is not based on the total fare. Port, govt fees/taxes dont count.

Dave

Thank you, I love working with the public, and we go on vacation I enjoy doing all the homework involved with the different ports to make our vacation more enjoyable. My TA (cruising only) is very helpful, but I find I know more about the ships than he does regarding the cabins,locations etc. So I thought I would enjoy being a TA, to assist customers, and do something I find interesting.

I have to say most of my information comes from this board, Cruise Critic has taught me so much about cruising, and I also do alot of reading.

So I thought I asked all of you since you are so helpful in the cruising, and travel department. Thanks again for all the insight. I'll let you know the out come, as we will be moving, and I'll be looking for job next summer.

Cyndeee

Hi Cyndeee,

Mary Ann here, from Ga. We were on a cruise together a while back. Whatever you decide, I know you would be great at it. Where are you moving to? I feel the same about knowing more about some things than our TA. I also do a lot of research on the trips we want and then contact the TA to do the booking. I have also booked on line 2 times and was very satisfied.

Take care, Mary Ann

As someone who was just recently hired at a high volume cruise agency, I can say that the work is very hard. They are training me on their inside accounting software and Amadeus for booking cruises. Their phone system is complicated, their filing system is huge. I am also responsible for keeping their website up to date with specials..etc.. I get paid OK, not big.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not! I love working in an environment that centers around cruising.

I have 17 cruises under my belt, but no agency experience and they are training me ( I am very grateful for the opportunity)

But, the work is hard, I have to work one night a week and I work every Sunday as well as two more days during the week.

You have to really want the job to be happy with the hours and pay.

THe up side is that for the most part, everyone is very happy and the environment is much less of a drag than my last office job!

The discounts, as the above posters mentioned, are just OK.

The interline rates for Airline employees is VERY good!!

Donna

Somewhat off-topic here, but I've been curious about the TA commission rate. If I book my wife and myself on a long cruise that generates, say $5,000, how much is the TA company paid? I'm not interested in the individual agent. I'm just curious how much of my fare the cruise line is willing to hand over.

Scott

All lines pay differently, depending on several things.

NMNIta

As someone who was just recently hired at a high volume cruise agency, I can say that the work is very hard. They are training me on their inside accounting software and Amadeus for booking cruises. Their phone system is complicated, their filing system is huge. I am also responsible for keeping their website up to date with specials..etc.. I get paid OK, not big.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not! I love working in an environment that centers around cruising.

I have 17 cruises under my belt, but no agency experience and they are training me ( I am very grateful for the opportunity)

But, the work is hard, I have to work one night a week and I work every Sunday as well as two more days during the week.

You have to really want the job to be happy with the hours and pay.

THe up side is that for the most part, everyone is very happy and the environment is much less of a drag than my last office job!

The discounts, as the above posters mentioned, are just OK.

The interline rates for Airline employees is VERY good!!

Donna

Donna, hang in there: like you, I started at a very high profile agency and we were actually over worked, but I loved it as well. The frustrating thing was it was almost impossible to keep up with the clients and the phone calls. People just do not realize what being an agent is all about. YOu are certainly right about the interline rates: they actually can be better than the travel agency rates. NMNita

Hi Cyndeeee,

Mark and I are soon heading out on our 24th cruise - not one at Travel Agent rates! We need to plan more than a couple of weeks out and we like to cruise particular destinations (mostly Europe). If you are thinking about becoming a TA just for the discounts, I agree that it's not worth it. It can be hard and frustrating, and some days you will earn about $2 per hour - lots of people looking for bargains, not service!

But if you enjoy working with people and sharing your knowledge of ships and destinations, then you'll like the work.

Linda

The fact that you plan your own and families vacations is very different than being a travel agent. A good travel agent knows each ship, each itinerary, prices, rate codes, pros and cons of each line,how to handle problems,CRM's etc. As others have said, I usually pay for my cruises too...the discounts are for very close in sailings, and many times do not include a spouse. If you are interested, I recommend working at a brick and mortar agency, or even one such as the big online if they are in your area. It will take a few years to really understand the business and feel comfortable with any request that comes in.

I do love these boards, but be careful with what you take as gospel. There is alot of incorrect information that is passed along the boards. Be sure you do carry the correct insurance also...you are responsible for alot of people's money and time off from work.Be prepared!

Thank you NMNita !

I know it will take me at least a year to feel efficient lol !

The work is very hard and like the above poster said, you are responsible for a lot of little details.

You have clients that call in and leave a message and say " I want to book a cruise that goes from either Osaka, Japan (or Hong Kong) to Vancouver."

They give you no particular dates, no price range, no indication of which kind of cabin they would like or how many days they would like to be on the ship etc....

It takes alot of time to find something that fits the itinerary and then you have to price out every category of cabin. Usually, you also try to find an alternate sailing if that one isn't the one they want.

So, you call your customer, (who happens to live in Germany and you have a small window of time to call them since you are calling from Chicago)... etc etc. Meanwhile, your phone is ringing off the hook and your e-mail inbox is filling with lightening speed :eek: GASP

Fortunately, I like to be very busy and I love talking to people so I will probably do this for a while.

It is not Fun like when you book your own vacations, but it is definitely a challenge keeping all of your balls in the air :D

As for the poster who is trying to find out how much of his fare is commission, forget it... Every agency gets different amounts based on their volume and every cruiseline gives different amounts in general... we're not telling, but it isn't much for what we do!

A very tired cruiseagency newbie

Thank you NMNita !

I know it will take me at least a year to feel efficient lol !

The work is very hard and like the above poster said, you are responsible for a lot of little details.

You have clients that call in and leave a message and say " I want to book a cruise that goes from either Osaka, Japan (or Hong Kong) to Vancouver."

They give you no particular dates, no price range, no indication of which kind of cabin they would like or how many days they would like to be on the ship etc....

It takes alot of time to find something that fits the itinerary and then you have to price out every category of cabin. Usually, you also try to find an alternate sailing if that one isn't the one they want.

So, you call your customer, (who happens to live in Germany and you have a small window of time to call them since you are calling from Chicago)... etc etc. Meanwhile, your phone is ringing off the hook and your e-mail inbox is filling with lightening speed :eek: GASP

Fortunately, I like to be very busy and I love talking to people so I will probably do this for a while.

It is not Fun like when you book your own vacations, but it is definitely a challenge keeping all of your balls in the air :D

As for the poster who is trying to find out how much of his fare is commission, forget it... Every agency gets different amounts based on their volume and every cruiseline gives different amounts in general... we're not telling, but it isn't much for what we do!

A very tired cruiseagency newbie

you said it: I wasn't about to give away the commission secret. LOL, seriously, as you said, it depends on so many things, what kind of a rate the cliant is using, how much volume the company does and even then cruise companies pay differently. And, yes, you are responsible for details, money etc. Most Brick and Mortor companies cover all the errors and ommissions insurance costs, but working from home you are considered an independent contractor and need to provide your own insurance. NMNita

A few years ago I joined a travel company that signed me up as an agent for 395.00 and 149.00 per year after. When you booked travel including your own it to months almost 8 months to get your commisssion, even on your own travel. DO NOT sing up for the 'Travel Agent Card'. You will be laughed at and most times quoted higher prices. I also received NO TRAINING. In Florida we need to register with the state. This 'Host' Company resided in Florida and had no clue to this.

I took an online course thru the internet via a local community college and hooked up with a host agency that gives you more control and assistance via the owner. We pick our cabins carefully and if you really want to cruise on a certain day in a certain cabin, do not take a T/A rate as they overbook most sailings and can bump T/A's. You still get commisssion on your sailings that are booked as a regular client.

All you TA's are right in what you have said. The pay is low, the benefits are not what you would think, and out of my 30 cruises I have taken thus far, I have never used TA rates. Happy Hr specials, senior rates, or residential rates are the best rates out there.

I had always wanted to be a TA, and I consider myself a very good one at that. I pride my business on customer service, as well as find you the best rates available. I monitor your cruise up until final payment to watch for promos that can be added. By no means am I in this business because of the money, it just isn't there. I enjoy helping people share in the cruising experience, the same reason I cruise. I love to share my knowledge, and make people happy (I find that very rewarding). I have worked in many great paying jobs before having my children, but they were all outside the home. While my children were growing up, this gave me an opportunity to work from home at times, without leaving them with sitters. You have to love what you do, and care about other peoples vacations as if they were your own (there are so many details involved, and it can be very hard, stressful work). It is not just about the initial booking, it is follow through with lots of details up until the time they leave, and follow up after they return. To get repeat business you have to be better than all the other agencies out there. You have to give them a reason to book with you, vs booking direct with the cruise line. I give them the difference, thus repeat clients.

I put in lots of long hours, sometimes with the customer calling before final payment and saying "we decided we aren't going this year, maybe another time", or after researching cabins and doing all the paperwork and pricing..."well what about this other ship and/or what kind of prices or cabins can we get on a different ship". Remember, you don't get paid until after they have sailed; you are at the clients mercy. The amount of commision you get for all the "behind the scenes" work is next to nothing unless you have a client that calls and has done everything but make the reservation.

I am not complaining, just letting you all know out there as in any job, you had better like what you do, and if you think this is a money maker, you are looking at the wrong job. Each cruise line does pay different commisions, and in my opinion, none of them are great.

We know a couple who has been on over 175 cruises...they take at least one cruise per month--maybe 2. They are both travel agents who "work" for someone who owns their own travel agency and they use the owners CLIA number to book the cruises but they rarely sell any cruises (I think they sold only 2 last year). The husband owns his own business so he can book a cruise on a moments notice. There is some phone number he calls every couple of weeks and finds out what ships are available...they only book balcony cabins. They always get fantastic rates--recently they sailed Princess for under 500.00 each. They just did NCL for about 345.00 per piece. He always jokes its cheaper for them to cruise than to stay at home to eat...I have known them for several years and they are always cruising--everywhere in the U.S. and all over Europe...They also get fantastic hotel rates but no discounts on airfare...although they have over a million airline miles since they fly so much to cruise...

We know a couple who has been on over 175 cruises...they take at least one cruise per month--maybe 2. They are both travel agents who "work" for someone who owns their own travel agency and they use the owners CLIA number to book the cruises but they rarely sell any cruises (I think they sold only 2 last year). The husband owns his own business so he can book a cruise on a moments notice. There is some phone number he calls every couple of weeks and finds out what ships are available...they only book balcony cabins. They always get fantastic rates--recently they sailed Princess for under 500.00 each. They just did NCL for about 345.00 per piece. He always jokes its cheaper for them to cruise than to stay at home to eat...I have known them for several years and they are always cruising--everywhere in the U.S. and all over Europe...They also get fantastic hotel rates but no discounts on airfare...although they have over a million airline miles since they fly so much to cruise...

Let me say a couple things here; first off people like that are the ones that give TAs bad reputations; I wouldn't admit it if I did something like that and second mostly TAs if we do get good rates we get inside cabins or lowest outside, no balconies, I don't think what you are hearing is totally the truth. Ask any agent and they will say exactly what I am saying. Hotel discounts, yes, but the rest I don't buy. I have been in the business to long and know how it works. As for using the CLIA number again, I wouldn't admit to that. NMNIta

Archived