Ice Buckets!!

Krazy Kruizers

The ice buckets are VERY attractive, but DO NOT hold nearly enough ice, nor keep the ice cold enough. The ice melts in no time, and I for one, find it frustrating when I want ice, having to ring room service or ask the concierge in the Neptune. There's got to be a better solution!!

I would like it if they were larger, but they do what I need them to do. I use the melted ice for medication and like it to be still cold. There just isn't enough of it.

I was perfectly happy with the old-style when they added the chrome sleeve. It was large, and kept the ice for a very long time. When I went to use the melted ice water with morning meds there was still some ice in it!

I have a roll-on soft sided cooler. I fill it with carry-on items, then once in my cabin I take everything out, give our cabin steward a $10 tip and ask him to please keep it filled with ice. I've never been without ice. Disembarking, I fill it with bags of dirty clothes and check it on the plane.Just an idea....

I just asked the steward to please change my ice 3 times a day. I have never had a problem with this. If wanted more he just put another bucket in the room.

True...no big deal...thats what stewards are there for.....keep ya well supplied. And if he can't keep you supplied with ice, chances are his service isn't that good about other things either.

The ice buckets are VERY attractive, but DO NOT hold nearly enough ice, nor keep the ice cold enough. The ice melts in no time, and I for one, find it frustrating when I want ice, having to ring room service or ask the concierge in the Neptune. There's got to be a better solution!!

The ice bucket I had on the Amsterdam this past January was fine. I had an inside cabin (so I didn't get any special service) and the ice bucket held the ice through the better part of the day. And, when the steward refilled it during his evening rounds, the ice was fine anytime I wanted a cold soda during the night (no refrigerator).

Now Celebrity was another story. The ice bucket I had in my low rent cabin on the Zenith was absolutely chintzy. If the ice stayed intact for two hours after filling, it was a lot. I can't tell you how many times during that five day cruise that I woke up wanting a glass of cold water, and the best I could do was the melted ice in that bucket.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hate the new ice buckets. At a pinch it would hold one beer! When the steward services the room in the morning, fills the ice bucket, and then we are out most of the day, it is useless for a pre dinner drink. The first thing I tell our steward is that I want ice delivered at 5pm. Sometimes I even have him fill the wine cooler as well. Any ice left, i usually sit the bucket in the fridge, at least it will hold it an additional couple of hours:cool:

The ice bucket is fine by us. We never mix drinks in our cabin. We only drink in the lounges. For the rare soda we may have or a glass of water, the new ice buckets suit us fine.

But.......we don't smuggle liquor on board and have never wanted to put any beer into any ice bucket.

All right - I started this thread and it my turn to speak out.

I HATE THESE ICE BUCKETS!!!

I drink lots of ice water - even during the night I like to have a glass of ice water.

But these new small buckets don't keep ice after about 1 AM and then it is just ice water cooling down quickly.

I would to see HAL get some really big ice buckets that will keep ice for longer period of time.

There have been times when we have gotten back from either a tour or out on our own and the ice is completely melted down.

Fortunately we able to go to the Neptune Lounge and get the ice replaced.

But I know others can't do this. I feel sorry for those who have to call room service and wait for some ice.

Yuck, do you folks actually ingest the ice from these buckets? How sanitary can they be; fill them over and over, stagnant water sitting in there all day, all night. Do they ever get sanitized? Do they ever clean out the ice making machine? Does the steward just wipe each one out with the same rag?

We use them to keep the botttle of water or wine cold if we don't use the refrigerator. Certainly never eat the ice.

The ice is there to put in your drinks..so what is wrong with drinking the Ice Water..The water is pure & steralized And yes I do believe the steward rinses the bucket out each time he refills them...I'm with you

Krazy Kruizers...We never seem to have enough Ice & cold water when we really need it around 5 at night..My DH found the Ice Machine last time on board & refilled our bucket...

And no one suggesting smuggling liquor...I use the Ice for my Pepsi & Wine which I bring a board in addition to taking my pills at night & drinking the water during the night..Never even occurred to us to put our Pepsi's & wine in the bucket.

Happy cruising all..Betty.

What I said was that we do not smuggle. I have no idea (and don't care) if anyone else is smuggling.

It is entirely possible to pre-order liquor delivery to your cabin from Ships Services before you board and you can certainly order it from Room Service, if you wish. You can easily have liquor in your cabin without smuggling.

The ice is there to put in your drinks..so what is wrong with drinking the Ice Water..The water is pure & steralized And yes I do believe the steward rinses the bucket out each time he refills them...I'm with you

Krazy Kruizers...We never seem to have enough Ice & cold water when we really need it around 5 at night..My DH found the Ice Machine last time on board & refilled our bucket...

And no one suggesting smuggling liquor...I use the Ice for my Pepsi & Wine which I bring a board in addition to taking my pills at night & drinking the water during the night..Never even occurred to us to put our Pepsi's & wine in the bucket.

Happy cruising all..Betty.

Hey Betty, h'bout letting us know where the ice machine is located onboard? wink, wink, nudge, nudge;)

Actually, the ice machine is usually in the steward’s work room, and usually left unlocked. (wink wink, nudge, nudge) I have always had the steward bring me a wine ice bucket on the first day, to keep beers/soda cold without a fridge. I won’t need it next cruise as I am told all staterooms on the Noordam have a fridge. I would do self service ice if the steward is not around. I make sure my hands are clean, and if there was noro virus onboard, I wouldn’t do it.

Mark…

Hey Betty, h'bout letting us know where the ice machine is located onboard? wink, wink, nudge, nudge;)

Gee I goofed again:o ..DH just said that it was on our Panama Canal trip on the Crown Last Nov. (shhh don't tell anyone we jumped ship) that he found the Ice Machine..He said he found the steward on the Prinsendam & had our bucket filled...But I know he's found the Ice Machine on HAL before, he just doesn't remember it...He's always good at finding Ice for me, because I hate lukewarm wine, soda & water..

Since we will not have a frig. on the Ryndam I'm thinking about bringing something to keep the Pepsi cold..(Can't stand Coke!)..We have a collapsable cooler & someone suggested using it as our carry on & have it filled with ice daily, but with my luck the darn thing would leak..Looked at that blow up ice bucket on line..Perhaps I'll look in our local Boaters World for it..Wonder how hard it is to blow up..

Anyway as u4ea said you can probably find the Ice in the Stewards work room...

Happy Hunting...;) ;) Betty

Archived