RCCL Alcohol Policies After 7/28 and 8/10 Part II - MERGED

I just called RCCL and the rep said that their policies have changed: NOT allowing any wine allowed to be brought on board and RCCL does not have the corkage fee available anymore. All wine/liquor drinks/beverages can ONLY be purchased on the ship.

This really is sort of upsetting to us, cause we were planning on taking the type of wine we wanted/liked and paying the corkage fees. RCCL used to allow 2 bottles of wine per person and a bottle of champagne also. Not anymore it seems.

Has anyone come back from a cruise in the past few weeks and know if these policies are true and RCCL are being stricter? What's the deal with RCCL?

I just called RCCL and the rep said that their policies have changed: NOT allowing any wine allowed to be brought on board and RCCL does not have the corkage fee available anymore. All wine/liquor drinks/beverages can ONLY be purchased on the ship.

This really is sort of upsetting to us, cause we were planning on taking the type of wine we wanted/liked and paying the corkage fees. RCCL used to allow 2 bottles of wine per person and a bottle of champagne also. Not anymore it seems.

Has anyone come back from a cruise in the past few weeks and know if these policies are true and RCCL are being stricter? What's the deal with RCCL?

NO! When did this happen?!? Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before? :D

Sorry, Mona, I was being evil. You must have not been on the boards in a while. There have been numerous threads on this new policy of RCI's - and how to "deal" with the changes. ;-)

NO! When did this happen?!? Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before? :D

Sorry, Mona, I was being evil. You must have not been on the boards in a while. There have been numerous threads on this new policy of RCI's - and how to "deal" with the changes. ;-)

Well, I just read the post I have posted to in the past few weeks from e-mails and not reading much fromm the boards, I have to admit. And before I was not concerned with this wine/liquor issue. So if you could direct me to the threads (with the URLs) that all this was discussed, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

What about using one of the companies that makes baskets and delivers them to the ship?

It could be a way around the problem... and a corkscrew takes up very little sace in yur bag :p

Well, I am wondering if RCCL will ALLOW champagne/wine to be delivered to your cabin from an outside source with these new policies? Can you request a certain bottle of wine?

BTW...do you have any websites that do this service in Galveston?

Thanks!

Well, I just read the post I have posted to in the past few weeks from e-mails and not reading much fromm the boards, I have to admit. And before I was not concerned with this wine/liquor issue. So if you could direct me to the threads (with the URLs) that all this was discussed, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I think most of them deteriorated into booze smuggling "food fights" and went to never-never land. But perhaps a few are still a few pages back. Sorry, I don't know any URL's.

We brought a bottle of wine in our checked luggage on the 8/14 Enchantment sailing. We carried it to the dining room and the head waiter opened and poured it without charging the corkage fee.

The cruise compass still said there is a corkage fee for your own wine brought on board.

There was a cork screw in our room, too, since we had a GS category. It sure seems as if they assume wine will be brought on board. Customer service just isn't going to tell you that you can do it so that RCI will bear no responsibility for encouraging - or so it seems.

If you arrive the day before, pack a duffle bag (empty) on your flight in your suitecase. The night before your cruise get your wine and other items including sodas and pack them in the duffle bag - pack two or more if you have a large group. Buy the foam wine carriers for extra protection or pack the bubble wrap. When you get to the cruise terminal send the "sodas" with your checked luggage to your room. Ours always arrives - never a problem. Then just enjoy your cruise!

I think most of them deteriorated into booze smuggling "food fights" and went to never-never land. But perhaps a few are still a few pages back. Sorry, I don't know any URL's.

Oh yeah I know all about those smuggling booze threads...not interested in that!

I was only wanting to know about RCCL policy changes concerning the ONCE ALLOWED 2 bottles per person or wine with a corkage fee tacked on that is NOW not being available with RCCL anymore.

I just want to make sure my OP was clear on this question I was asking. My question has NOTHING to do with trying to smuggle booze on board!

Not an issue. It even says right on my cruise compass that you can bring wine with a $12 fee.

Shannon

It says it on the Compass? Wow, that's interesting considering what it says on the website. I guess just another example of the ship-based and land-based discrepancies we hear about all the time.

Dh and I prefer beer so thats what we have had delivered, no food included.

It has always been in our room and waiting for us the day we boarded.

From what I know if you drink your wine/champ in your room no cork fee or other fees, but if you bring it to the dining room you will be charged a fee. Shelly said that if you order a wine basket you will get a cork screw included, you can also pack your own in your luggage just in case.

I have used Shelly in the past and will use her again and again in the future. She is very personable and has one heck of a sense of humor.

That is also great that you posted all the prices.

I live in Las Vegas. Liquor prices here are the same as duty free. Bringing liquor back is a pain and not worth the hassle. When I move to WA state I will buy my booze on the reservation. A bottle in your suitcase is a good way to ruin $400 of clothes.

I've travelled overseas and back with liquor in my suitcase (i.e., checked luggage) many times and never had a problem (even with all the multiple change of flights each time). Just make sure you pack it well in between all of your clothes - and some plastic bags in case it breaks (but I never had a bottle break). Just make sure your suitcase is full.

But I agree, the prices often aren't low enough to make it worth the hassle.,

Anybody travelled recently (after the new no-liquor/no-wine rules) on Royal Caribbean - or going soon and planning to sneak on liquor. Can you do it, or do they screen the luggage??

I am going Sunday on Freedom..unless Ernesto changes our plans...but I will be putting several small bottles of champagne in my luggage for am mimosas on my balcony as I have done in the past...they are small and can actually look like shampoo bottles on x-ray if you pack them with toiletries...so I will give it a try......what the hey....

Plus of course the ever popular bottle of Zephyrhills water partially drunk will be in my carry on.....wink wink...any clear liquour of course is substituted..........for me vodka.........but anything works.......after my trip I will advise...........how it went.......

lee

Well, I am wondering if RCCL will ALLOW champagne/wine to be delivered to your cabin from an outside source with these new policies? Can you request a certain bottle of wine?

BTW...do you have any websites that do this service in Galveston?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I don't know of anyone in the Galveston area that does this. However I just got off the phone with RCI and the word I got was not good. The rep I spoke to said... and I quote "RCI no longer allows any alcohol in the cabins" according to him you can't even take a bottle of wine back to the cabin after dinner. Now if you ask me... That's ridiculous!

We're just back from the Radiance of the Seas Aug 19 Alaska cruise. I can only speak for this ships policies but would hope they were consistent throughout the fleet. :)

No wine/liquor was allowed in your carryon. We did receive champagne and wine in our cabin and took both to the dining room. The Asst. Waiter served both with no corkage fee (as I expected). RCI has a fairly large wine list. If the wine you brought onboard in your checked luggage is on the wine list you could bring it to the dining room and have it served to you (and most likely not pay a corkage fee) as the dining room staff would not know if you got the wine as a "gift" or brought it onboard yourself. I never saw/heard of any problem with having any wine/liquor in your cabin.

Mona-I will be sailing the Rhapsody in March and I have always always always brought 2 bottles of my favorite wine on the ship. I don't care for it in public areas. I like it on my balcony. Really takes away from the mood to run to the blasted piano bar for every glass of wine.... How sad indeed. :( Please let me know what you find out, or if you find a good place that will deliver wine to your cabin from Galveston. Almost ticks me off enough to book with another line.

I am on Mariner 8/27 right now and the Compass does say you can bring wine to the dining room and pay a corkage fee, which is pretty funny considering you're not allowed to bring wine on. I guess you could pay their wine markup, have champagne or wine delivered to your room, and then pay their high corkage fee.

I think the 2 bottles per person thing was a good compromise and I don't think they care if you bring that much on then put it in your fridge to drink on your balcony. Email me if you have more questions, amy.olive@gmail.com.

I got my Docs for Rhapsody, yesterday. Their latest printed policy...no booze, beer, or whine sold to anyone under 21. Period.

I wish they would prohibit whine for anyone, regardless of age.;) :D

That's why we cruise on Princess. You can still bring wine and champagne on board. There is a corkage fee, but we just like to have in the cabin to have a drink while getting ready for dinner, or enjoying drinks with friends before dinner.

Archived