RCCL Alcohol Policies After 7/28 and 8/10 Part II - MERGED

The response to your info on Shelly's service has been terriffic! I think you have given her several new clients. This is a great service & it takes the work out of trying to get what you want for your cabin & it comes packaged as a "gift"....what could be better?

A few days ago I was so irritated at RCI, now there is a way! I will have a champagne toast with the bubbles of my choosing and my husband can have a scotch on the rocks when sitting on the verandah.

Thanks Again!

Margaret

Sigfod,

Can you provide links to the reports where you got the info about kids getting drunk and jumping off the ship, and kids going thru the liquor in their room?

I hear lots of things too, but it doesn't mean they're true at all.

Matter of fact I found out today that some rich american died in Nigeria and if I will only front some gov't official about $1.5M then they'll send me $250M

We're just back from the Radiance of the Seas Aug 19 Alaska cruise. I can only speak for this ships policies but would hope they were consistent throughout the fleet. :)

No wine/liquor was allowed in your carryon. We did receive champagne and wine in our cabin and took both to the dining room. The Asst. Waiter served both with no corkage fee (as I expected). RCI has a fairly large wine list. If the wine you brought onboard in your checked luggage is on the wine list you could bring it to the dining room and have it served to you (and most likely not pay a corkage fee) as the dining room staff would not know if you got the wine as a "gift" or brought it onboard yourself. I never saw/heard of any problem with having any wine/liquor in your cabin.

Thanks for your actual report of conditions on the Radiance and I bet it is pretty close to what we will find on other ships. Now what we will be told if we call RCI is probably a different story all together. Also you comment about wines that are the same as on the official wine list not getting charged a corkage fee is on the mark. Just curious, did you actually see wine taken from carryon's?

Someone else mentioned other line's wine policies. I was surprised to see that NCL has a very good wine policy the same as HAL's; bring what wine you want and pay $15 corkage fee. And as another poster noted Princess has the 2 bottle plus corkage fee.

Hope all your cruises are Happy Cruises.

I had a dream. If everyone sailing on RCL ships boycotted all wine and liquor purchases for one month, what do you think would happen?

I think RCL would rethink their policies concerning the selling of wine and liquor for onboard, in-cabin consumption.

(They would probably go broke)

Hypo

Sigfod,

Can you provide links to the reports where you got the info about kids getting drunk and jumping off the ship, and kids going thru the liquor in their room?

I hear lots of things too, but it doesn't mean they're true at all.

Matter of fact I found out today that some rich american died in Nigeria and if I will only front some gov't official about $1.5M then they'll send me $250M

I heard this from a Bartender on my last cruise. He told me that originally they were looking for the Bartender that sold the kid drinks, but once the kid recovered he admitted that he had raided his parent's stash in their stateroom. As for the other, the same Bartender told me he was upset he could no longer open 15 minutes early, but because of the afformentioned incident the rules were being strictly enforced.

I had a dream. If everyone sailing on RCL ships boycotted all wine and liquor purchases for one month, what do you think would happen? ...
I would think that for about a month people would have cruises they didn't like...

... then come back to CC and we'd debate that for several months.

Thanks for your actual report of conditions on the Radiance and I bet it is pretty close to what we will find on other ships. Now what we will be told if we call RCI is probably a different story all together. Also you comment about wines that are the same as on the official wine list not getting charged a corkage fee is on the mark. Just curious, did you actually see wine taken from carryon's?

Someone else mentioned other line's wine policies. I was surprised to see that NCL has a very good wine policy the same as HAL's; bring what wine you want and pay $15 corkage fee. And as another poster noted Princess has the 2 bottle plus corkage fee.

Hope all your cruises are Happy Cruises.

I did witness a bottle of some form of alcohol being confiscated at the security check in "to be returned the last day of the cruise"

I heard this from a Bartender on my last cruise. He told me that originally they were looking for the Bartender that sold the kid drinks, but once the kid recovered he admitted that he had raided his parent's stash in their stateroom. As for the other, the same Bartender told me he was upset he could no longer open 15 minutes early, but because of the afformentioned incident the rules were being strictly enforced.

Now, why would someone really need to have a bar open 15 minutes early? Can't fathom that kind of schedule when you're supposed to be chillaxing!

As a non-drinker, I can only coment on bahalf of my DW: She wants to bring a bottle of vodka on board to make mixed drinks to enjoy on our balcony. Not sure how to bring the stuff on board yet, but I'm sure some of you savvy posters have a few tricks (that I hope you'll share with me) up your sleeves!

Now, why would someone really need to have a bar open 15 minutes early? Can't fathom that kind of schedule when you're supposed to be chillaxing!

As a non-drinker, I can only coment on bahalf of my DW: She wants to bring a bottle of vodka on board to make mixed drinks to enjoy on our balcony. Not sure how to bring the stuff on board yet, but I'm sure some of you savvy posters have a few tricks (that I hope you'll share with me) up your sleeves!

I know a few secrets, but I don't want them found out so soon. If I could figure out how to PM you I would share them w/ you.

My husband and I were on the Grandeur sailing August 4-13 out of Baltimore. Not that any of the wine being sold on the RCI ships is worth the huge markup, but we were able to order a bottle of wine from the room service menu and drink it in on our balcony. We asked at the purser's desk about this since the room service menu in our cabin didn't have any listings for wine or other alchoholic beverages. They told us we could call room service and order the bottle of wine we wanted. No problem at least on that sailing and ship. Hope this helps.

I think it has been made perfectly clear. No matter what people say that RCI customer service says by phone, you just take your bottle of vodka on board in your checked baggage, well packed, in the middle of your suitcase.

That is how we took on our bottle of Rum on 8/14/06. It was left in the open in our stateroom the entire time. The steward kept our ice bucket full with fresh ice twice a day. And she was glad to "dispose" of the partially full bottle for us when we departed.

As long as you don't make a fool out of yourself no one will take your one bottle. That is a reasonable amount to have. Of course if you do make a fool out of yourself, no one will take your bottle. They will assume you have bought too much to drink from the bar.

We brought not only our rum on board but also a bottle of domestic wine grown and bottled in Virginia. No corkage fee applied when we drank it in the dining room. Both were packed in checked luggage.

I think people spend to much time overthinking this situation. No one cares if you bring it on board. RCI just isn't going to tell you that it's OK. It's as simple as that.

Oh yeah I know all about those smuggling booze threads...not interested in that!

I was only wanting to know about RCCL policy changes concerning the ONCE ALLOWED 2 bottles per person or wine with a corkage fee tacked on that is NOW not being available with RCCL anymore.

I just want to make sure my OP was clear on this question I was asking. My question has NOTHING to do with trying to smuggle booze on board!

Yes, there is a new policy, effective 7/28. It has been posted on the TA site for some time now.

No, wine is longer allowed to be brought aboard in any amount.

Yes, they were confiscating and discarding last weekend on SOV. I normally bring a few bottles but did not, based on the new policy.

The response to your info on Shelly's service has been terriffic! I think you have given her several new clients. This is a great service & it takes the work out of trying to get what you want for your cabin & it comes packaged as a "gift"....what could be better?

A few days ago I was so irritated at RCI, now there is a way! I will have a champagne toast with the bubbles of my choosing and my husband can have a scotch on the rocks when sitting on the verandah.

Thanks Again!

Margaret

Thanks so much. From experience I know things like this can be frustrating for travelers and since I was able to ease the frustration level with this subject I was more than happy to help. Also with JBOY and Shelly I love the service, conveince and personal touches so much that I am more than happy to pass her services along to others knowing that they will get the same service as I have.

Have a wonderful, relaxing cruise!! :D

We were on last week's (8/20) Mariner out of Port Cananveral. Pint bottle of gin (plastic, flask shaped) in checked luggage. 6 pack of tonic in glass bottles in carryon, not hidden. No problems or questions about either. I saw nothing different about check in security than on previous cruises.

Yes, there is a new policy, effective 7/28. It has been posted on the TA site for some time now.

No, wine is longer allowed to be brought aboard in any amount.

Yes, they were confiscating and discarding last weekend on SOV. I normally bring a few bottles but did not, based on the new policy.

Confiscating from carry ons or from checked luggage? Also, they say they will take it and store it and return it at the end of the cruise. But most likely this would just be the alcohol that is attempted to be carried on.

Anybody travelled recently (after the new no-liquor/no-wine rules) on Royal Caribbean - or going soon and planning to sneak on liquor. Can you do it, or do they screen the luggage??

You can take the risk of sneaking it on board or give "Just Because of You" a call at 1 800 882 9707 and order a Bonvoyage Basket. Shelly's prices are very resonable and you wont have the risk of ruining clothes in your luggage, thus the reason for me passing this info on. I have been using this service for past cruises and am very happy with the service, conveinence and personal touches they put into the baskets. They deliver to most major ports and my Baskets have always been waiting for me in my cabin.

Just received my cruise documents for a late September trip on Enchantment. I had to smile when I saw that they specifically said that mouthwash bottles would be examined...

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.)"

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies... may be disembarked or not allowed to board..."

Folks, your smuggling days are over... why take the risk?

You can take the risk of sneaking it on board or give "Just Because of You" a call at 1 800 882 9707 and order a Bonvoyage Basket. Shelly's prices are very resonable and you wont have the risk of ruining clothes in your luggage, thus the reason for me passing this info on. I have been using this service for past cruises and am very happy with the service, conveinence and personal touches they put into the baskets. They deliver to most major ports and my Baskets have always been waiting for me in my cabin.

If she delivers the basket to your cabin can you drink it without being charged a corkage fee?

Archived