When's The Best Time To Book A Cruise To Get A Great Deal?

Sandytoes

When is the best time to book a cruise to get a great deal?

A year ahead, months or just a few weeks?

I don't want to keep checking each and everyday on different TA sites or calling cruise lines to get great rates, unless I have to....

Its not so much about when you make your booking, but more about when you cruise.

Caribbean in Sep/Oct/Nov? Relatively inexpensive. Mexican Riviera anytime? Relatively inexpensive. Repositionings or tranatlantics? Relatively inexpensive.

Europe in July/August? Caribbean at Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years or Easter/Spring Break? South America and other exotics at any time (except Tahiti which seems relatively reasonable all year)? Yikes!

From what I've seen recently, prices change very little once set unless you're looking at a cruise offered during an off-peak/undesirable time of year -- and then usually within 70-90 days of departure depending on final payment.

What you also have to consider is how you're getting to the embarkation port. When there's a flash offer and the prices drop considerably, wonderful! But, how much will it cost you to fly there? The extra air fare could cost you more than the cruise itself.

Arlene

It also depends how fussy you are about the type of cabin and location. Personally, I see no problem booking well in advance. You get the best selection, and if prices go down, you can take advantage or even self-upgrade. If prices go up, you can congratulate yourself for your incredible foresight. There will always be last-minute deals, but like Arlene says, it might cost you more to take advantage of them.

We've always gotten our best deals booking way in advance.

However, a last minute cruise also might get you a bargain if there are unsold cabins.

It all depends on how picky you are about the type of room. If you don't have a preference, you have a better chance of snagging a deal.

Also, sometimes if you really want a bargain or amenities, you might want to consider a travel agent who belongs to a large consortium that has a lot of group cruises.

My husband is one and the company he works for has listings of more than 200 group cruises he will check for a client if they know when they would like to travel and where. Sometimes the rooms are a better price and sometimes an amenity is thrown in, like dinner at an alternate restaurant, or a bottle of wine, etc.

If you are flexible and do your homework, you can often find great deals out there.

We have found the opposite. Our best deals have been after final payment has been due. Princess then deeply discount cabins 'for new bookings only' to sell those extras. These rates are not available to those already booked and therefore they can not get their cruise far lowered to reflect the new bookings only rates.

If you don't need airfare, as that is almost always least expensive when booked well in advance, to us, that is the only way to go. We check the airfares first, then if they are reasonable, we book a last minute cruise.

Everyone on this thread so far has made excellent points...but I think TOTO has it marked best.

There is a whole market group of cruisers out there who just sit in the weeds and wait. They know that on most cruises...some intinerarties and times of year more often than others...there will come a point when the companies have to unload the inventory they have before the cruise leaves. That's when the prices drop and these folks grab whatever is put out there.:D

This works if you don't care where the cabin is...because it is not going to be a great one...and you really don't care where the ship is going because you know you'll have fun no matter where it goes!

Often I think these folks are the smart ones when it comes to cruising!:)

Tom

Tom, you have made some very good points, except the cabin location. We have been able to book cabins that we would have choosen even if we had booked a year in advance. I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is true. We just returned from the Caribbean Princess Saturday. We purchased this last minute cruise just a couple of weeks after final payment was due, got the best price ever and our cabin was in the perfect location midship, just around the corner from the panoramic elevators. Sometimes, even when you wait, the good cabins are still available, especially on the mega ships. A bit of a different story on the smaller Sun Class ships though as there aren't anywhere near the amount of cabins on those.

What you also have to consider is how you're getting to the embarkation port. When there's a flash offer and the prices drop considerably, wonderful! But, how much will it cost you to fly there? The extra air fare could cost you more than the cruise itself.

Arlene

How very true Arlene,especially flying to join a cruise from down here.

We are forced to book a long way ahead to get a 1/2 decent air price or even to use air points. Airlines seem to work the opposite to cruise lines.....the last minute air deals are the most expensive.

I must be a demented individual. I've never been able to shop for bargains when I vacation. I usually vacation by going to various races. Those are timed events and they don't go on sale.

So, I've learned to take care of the vacation so I can maximize my enjoyment. I book when I like the price. Then I don't spend my time looking for deals. I envy those who can do the scanning, but for me it's too taxing.

So the best time for me to book a cruise and get the best deal, is when I'm comfortable with the price that's being shown :)

Have fun everyone.

Tom, you have made some very good points, except the cabin location. We have been able to book cabins that we would have choosen even if we had booked a year in advance. I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is true. We just returned from the Caribbean Princess Saturday. We purchased this last minute cruise just a couple of weeks after final payment was due, got the best price ever and our cabin was in the perfect location midship, just around the corner from the panoramic elevators. Sometimes, even when you wait, the good cabins are still available, especially on the mega ships. A bit of a different story on the smaller Sun Class ships though as there aren't anywhere near the amount of cabins on those.

TOTO has a great plan, but it usually only works if you are happy with an inside cabin...we gotta have at least a window, and preferably a balcony of some sort.

Nope, only a mini will do for us. Can't stand being inside without a source of fresh air.

I might add that the last minute deals, especially on mini suites pretty much go towards the Grand Class and larger ships. Sun Class minis book out well in advance and those we have to book sometimes a year ahead and pay dearly for them. :(

Nope, only a mini will do for us. Can't stand being inside without a source of fresh air.

I might add that the last minute deals, especially on mini suites pretty much go towards the Grand Class and larger ships. Sun Class minis book out well in advance and those we have to book sometimes a year ahead and pay dearly for them. :(

T2K, once again you are SO correct! Thank You. :)

Like others have said, it depends on the cruise. We tend to go with the 'shoulder' season, ie in between low and high. Prices are lower, air fares tend to be lower, and the ships are not as crowded. Have booked a Dec. 2 Carib. cruise. The period between Thanksgiving and Xmas usually has some great values as does the first week in Jan (and hopefully the hurricane season will have passed by then). We usually book late, but this time we booked in May and ended up with a caribe balcony for just over $700. pp (after getting the benefit on one price drop). We used to book 45-75 days out but on the last two bookings( one NCL, one Princess) farther out seems to have worked for us. Maybe it is just the luck of the draw. There appears to be a great deal of capacity coming on line within the next twelve months. I wonder if this will stimulate additional price competition.

Noooooo! Don't get me wrong! That's not the way we do it. I want the mini-suite or better and I want it on the deck and location that I like and you don't get that doing....."lay in the weeds cruise shopping!" I was just making the point that there are folks out there who have the freedom, temperment, and personality to make that work for them!:D

And TOTO I think some of us are lucky from time to time...just not me!!:rolleyes: I read of one guy on another thread who got upgraded to a suite.:eek: ..everyone else on the thread was stunned...but sometimes miracles happen.

To answe someone else....the best place to find these last minute bargains in usually in the CC electronic email newletter. That is where I see them most often.

The other place I thnk may hold some bargains are those group cruises people put together, but I haven't investigated them closely enough to know for sure.

Just my thoughts.:)

Tom

I almost always book after final payment. There are excellent bargains when doing so. I have also had great luck with cabins booking this late. I was able to snag a few aft balconies this way and have also been able to score some minisuites right smack in the center of the ship 45 days out.

I almost always book after final payment. There are excellent bargains when doing so. I have also had great luck with cabins booking this late. I was able to snag a few aft balconies this way and have also been able to score some minisuites right smack in the center of the ship 45 days out.

So how do you calulate when the final payment date would be on a cruise?

Are Final payments due 60 to 120 days prior to departure?

How do you know exact # of days?

Then would you say, that the cruise/date you're interested, you would go back a number of days and start hunting for the best price?

Hoping you get the cabin/location you want.

Best to try within 60 days for the 'flash promotions'.

If you are flexible by a few days to a week, that can give you different cruises to try for when it comes to pricing. Especially since there are so many sites now, including Princess, that give you available cabins.

Now, they won't say 'flash promotions' on the booking sites, you have to do your homework and know what the cruise was selling for before final payment date also. It seems like a bit of work, but when I can save that much on a mini suite, I am willing to do a bit of legwork to save it.

I always check airfare prices before booking the cruise also, that way I know if the air fare is too high, it is not worth saving a few hundred on the cruise itself. As said previously, if the airfare eats up the extra savings, then it isn't worth booking a last minute cruise.

Being able to get a flash promotion cabin on a ship also depends on the ship, the itinerary and the time of the year. Holiday cruises, for instance, generally are sold out a year in advance. Itineraries on popular ships during prime cruising season also sell out well in advance (for instance, during school vacations). So whether you book now or wait for a last-minute deal should really depend on when you want to cruise and where because there's a different answer for almost every cruise.

On most cruises 75 days out is when final payment is due. More on holiday sailings.

I am amazed but in the last couple of years, holiday Christmas sailings have gone for reasonable amounts. There are some specials now on them and they are quite affordable. In the holiday situation - now is the perfect time to book them.

If you are working with a TA - have them look for Flash specials for you.

Air for me is usually purchased about 60 days out for most trips anyway. If I book air much farther out - I pay an arm and leg.

Archived