Galaxy Condition - (one more time)

CORONA47

We are currently booked on Galaxy transatlantic on December 1st and must decide today whether to make final payment or get our deposit back. We posted the following on a different thread but did not get much response with regard to Galaxy. We may now switch to Millenium on November 24th however it is alot more money for the room we are interested in and is only two days longer.

We had CC1144 and my kids were in an Inside 1146. Decor was ok. Bathrooms worked fine, excellent shower in CC. Basins were stained ,but not dirty. Cabin stewards Roger and Sebastian wee excellent. Balcony was awful. Rusty , old chairs and table , needs to be replaced. I did not enjoy this balcony as much as other cruises. This ship Shakes , Rattles and Rolls like no other. Whenever docking or leaving port or turning the vibrations are Horrendous, the first time it happened I thought there was a problem. Whenever there was as an early port arrival it would get us up. It was unreal.

How about the beds? We have read many negative reports with regards to the bedding. Have the mattresses been replaced yet? I don't think we could take two weeks on a lumpy bed. The Celebrity customer service representative that we contacted after reading about the beds assured us that all mattresses on Galaxy were replaced during June and July of this year - a fact that has been disputed by many of you. Since most of you say that the left hand of customer service has no idea what the right hand is doing I am hoping to get a definitive response from somebody.

We only just booked the December 1st transatlantic last month for our first ever cruise and must decide by tomorrow whether to get our deposit back or make a final payment and go ahead with it. Our travel agent put her two cents worth in (for the price she said it was ok and that Celebrity was virtually equal but no better these days to any of the other mass market cruise lines, she also stated that Galaxy is in need of an overhaul and that is why it is less expensive than other Celebrity ships) but also suggested that we read through the archives of this board extensively for a more varied opinion. For the last couple of weeks we have done just that and are rather confused with what we have found. It seems some people really love this ship while others have found fault with everything. The consensus amongst frequent Celebrity cruisers is that I shouldn't be worried about anything, while there are an equal amount of posts from one time cruisers on Galaxy and Celebrity for that matter that forewarn me that this could turn into the cruise from hell. Who do you believe - a potentially biased account by someone who only cruises with Celebrity - or a very negative report by someone who potentially may have an axe to grind.

DOCK, your review is the most recent from any Galaxy cruiser but was equally as confusing as the others in that on one hand you say you loved the cruise and then on the other you had little good to say about the ship compared to others you have been on. You even went so far as to say .......it was not much of a step up from our Carnival cruise....... From what I have read Carnival does not have much of a reputation.

This one response from an apparently very experienced Celebrity cruiser has us really concerned about going on Galaxy:

Our satisfaction level with Galaxy puts it at the bottom of the Celebrity fleet.

I can't comment on Galaxy's condition right now. But when I was on her in June, I had no problem with the beds at all. On the other hand, I accept that other people have.

As regards the vibration, yes I felt it on occasions when we were leaving port or otherwise manoeuvring. Genrally, I wasn't aware of it except on one night when we did seem to be going especially quickly - on that occasions there was some occasional vibration which was evident in the dining room. The fact that it was due to greater-than-normal speed was evinced the day afterwards when we arrived at Mykonos a full 90 minutes early, and were able to dock. So my take on that is that when the Captain's got the pedal to the metal, you can hear her. Certaily I don't remember ever being woken by the vibrations as we docked.

I greatly enjoyed my cruise - so much so that I've booked again next year.

All that said - I'm not sure she is the best ship for a transatlantic. Not because of her condition, but because of the absence of facilities compared with a Millenium-class ship; for example, no speciality dining, a smaller/lesser spa (I would assume), etc. On a Mediterranean cruise with two ports every three days (more, next year) these things are less important. But on a crossing, with 5? 6? successive days at sea, I can see the arguments in favour of the more-lavishly equipped ship. Which might be why the Millenium cruise is more money!

As ever, the choice is the customers.

Admittedly I was on Galaxy a three years ago, but it was in the midst of similar posts about her condition and despite a few concerns, I thought she was fine. We went on her a year later and she was still nice shape and I really enjoyed both cruises. The beds were ok. Not super comfortable, but they were fine. I think mattresses can be a bit subjective like food. One person likes them hard and another prefers them soft. Some people sleep like a baby wherever they are and others don't sleep so well. I am not the World's greatest sleeper, but still got a good night's sleep.

We were high up and pretty well midships and I never heard a vibration in the cabin the whole time. If you can stay midships you won't hear as much as if you are aft or forward as you will feel more of the effects of the bow and stern thrusters there. I understood from the Chief Engineer that the vibration we felt in the dining room is more pronounced when the ship is going slower as there is more cavitation from propeller shaft at slower speeds. The rumble was very noticeable on a couple of nights and on Mercury too. Very local though. You could move 20 feet away and it was much less pronounced.

To sum up, I would go on Galaxy again tomorrow. The crew were extremely good. Very professional and very friendly. The ship was always clean and the staff did a great job in keeping her that way. This is of course my opinion, but you can add it to your list.

Phil

Has anyone heard of the Galaxy having a severe listing recently? I can't remember what post but it was a recent review where amongs other problems the passenger said there was a new captain and the ship listed 15-20 degrees with things being broken. Just curious as we are sailing her on Nov. 10th. I've been on 35+ cruises and have never really thought of a tragedy at sea but since the Princess episode I can't help thinking about it some now.

How about the beds? We have read many negative reports with regards to the bedding.

I have only had two cruises on Celebrity, the last being in November 2005 on Galaxy. The beds were the deal breaker for me. If you can find some of my original post-cruise comments you will note that we were extremely dissapointed with the way Celebrity personel handled our situation with respect to our bed and how repeated letters to Celebrity post cruise went un-answered. So yes, some people here claim I have an axe to grind and I do!!

If they have replaced the mattresses - then great. If not then I hope you get lucky with the one in your room. We ended up not even sleeping on the bed as the pull out couch was more comfortable (relatively speaking - it was horrible as well but better than the bed). Just to also set the record straight in case there are those of you who think that maybe our combined weight is in excess of the capability of a normal bed - I am 6 foot 220 and my wife (if I ever get to see those scales) is under 130. Not as light as a couple of elderly sticks but pretty much average.

For us we sandwiched our Celebrity cruises with a cruise on a more upscale line and have been completely sold on that line. At the suite level the difference in price is very small but the increase in quality is ten fold. I lurk around on these boards to simply point out to cruisers new to Celebrity that for the same money there are better experiences out there with a customer service department that cares and is responsive. All I ever asked for from Celebrity was an acknowledgement that their bedding on Galaxy was sub-par and that it did not match the image they were portraying in their advertising. I did not even receive a canned response indicating they were sorry my experience was less than perfect - nothing - zippo - natta. They have since proclaimed in a press release several months ago that they are going to replace all of the bedding on Galaxy but I have yet to read a post in this forum that says it has been done yet.

C 2 C says it best when he indicates Galaxy is at the bottom of the Celebrity fleet. If I were you I would run to Millenium (or another un-mentioned cruise line) just as quick as you can. Just my opinion, but not much different than several others I have recently read with respect to Galaxy.

ps If you have to tender off of Galaxy our three tender experience's were a nightmare of lines and pushing and shoving down the stairs (Constellation tendering was ok so we put it down to the staff on Galaxy did not prepare well)!!

We ended up not even sleeping on the bed as the pull out couch was more comfortable (relatively speaking - it was horrible as well but better than the bed).

Pecoraro, I have seen your recent posts - (sorry but I don't think they like you here) and have gone back and looked at your older ones and you have consistently been harping on and on about the beds. I can see no reason for you to do this unless you were absolutely miserable and Celebrity did nothing about it.

If no recent Galaxy cruiser can confirm that the mattresses have been changed I think we are going to have to pass on Galaxy. I sleep on a Tempur-Pedic currently and if what Pecoraro reports as an army cot is what we can expect then that is definitely not going to work. I would have hoped for a mattress and a box spring - a thin mattress on springs will have me at the chiro for months afterwards.

I remember reading someones posting that the Galaxy will have new beds, but I don't remember when. I'm sailing on the Galaxy October 07 and do remember that the beds should be in before my cruise. If I can find the thead, I'll add it to this one.

Here's the thread I read about the beds: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=392554&highlight=beds

Admittedly I was on Galaxy a three years ago, but it was in the midst of similar posts about her condition and despite a few concerns, I thought she was fine. We went on her a year later and she was still nice shape and I really enjoyed both cruises. The beds were ok. Not super comfortable, but they were fine. I think mattresses can be a bit subjective like food. One person likes them hard and another prefers them soft. Some people sleep like a baby wherever they are and others don't sleep so well. I am not the World's greatest sleeper, but still got a good night's sleep.

We were high up and pretty well midships and I never heard a vibration in the cabin the whole time. If you can stay midships you won't hear as much as if you are aft or forward as you will feel more of the effects of the bow and stern thrusters there. I understood from the Chief Engineer that the vibration we felt in the dining room is more pronounced when the ship is going slower as there is more cavitation from propeller shaft at slower speeds. The rumble was very noticeable on a couple of nights and on Mercury too. Very local though. You could move 20 feet away and it was much less pronounced.

To sum up, I would go on Galaxy again tomorrow. The crew were extremely good. Very professional and very friendly. The ship was always clean and the staff did a great job in keeping her that way. This is of course my opinion, but you can add it to your list.

Phil

we are going on our first cruise and chose this one, we are on vista deck, 9104, midships (or thereabouts) i am hoping this is good!!

if we had have read all these posts beforehand i am sure we would have thought more about booking galaxy, but we have paid a lot of money to come from australia, so i am determined to have a good time regardless of the beds, the noise, and everything else that everyone has been down on. we are after an experience we have never had, and bloody hell we are going to have a good time, we will smuggle booze on board, and do whatever else to ensure that we can come back and say "that was great", and if galaxy is a bit tired, i am sure the people on it won't be!!!

we are going on our first cruise and chose this one, we are on vista deck, 9104, midships (or thereabouts) i am hoping this is good!!

if we had have read all these posts beforehand i am sure we would have thought more about booking galaxy, but we have paid a lot of money to come from australia, so i am determined to have a good time regardless of the beds, the noise, and everything else that everyone has been down on. we are after an experience we have never had, and bloody hell we are going to have a good time, we will smuggle booze on board, and do whatever else to ensure that we can come back and say "that was great", and if galaxy is a bit tired, i am sure the people on it won't be!!!

Listen to what Phil has said. Go. Have a great time. The bedding may be new by the time you sail. The ship is clean and laid out well. The crew is fantastic. We sailed Galaxy last June and had a great time. We sail her again next October and fully intend to have a great cruise again. Is the ship perfect? No. Is Celebrity perfect? No. But, all things considered, you should have a wonderful time. Enjoy!

Every time I stop thinking about what kind of shape Galaxy will be in when we sail on her a year from now, another thread like this pops up to drive me nuts and make me think twice again.

But then I remind myself - our two-week cruise is going to be very port-intensive, so as a previous poster has already pointed out, the ship's condition and amenities are not going to be as critical as on, say, a trans-Atlantic crossing.

Also - the prices for cruises on Galaxy are generally cheaper than for other X ships, particularly the M-class ships and the revitalized Century. So while the product may be a little less polished, the cost is lower too.

As for the bedding - if I were sailing on Galaxy tomorrow or next week, I might be concerned about whether the bedding has been replaced yet. But for those with cruises further in the future, I think it's OK to hope/assume Celebrity will complete the bedding replacement before you get on board.

And - there is still that lingering rumor about some kind of revitalization for Galaxy next spring, maybe not as extensive as Century's was, but enough to breathe new life into her. Those who have asked, report that Celebrity says the gaps in her schedule are for chartered cruises and other such things, not a formal revitalization. Others think X is holding back. I'm not sure I understand why they would, but I guess anything's possible.

Bottom line for the OP - if you have an uncomfortable feeling about plunking down that final payment, don't do it. Follow your instinct. If you switch to another ship and have a good time, the only bad thing will be never knowing if you could have had just as good a time on Galaxy. No big deal. But if you don't switch and find your cruise an utter disappointment, you'll be kicking yourself for a long time.

* The above advice, plus the princely sum of $1, will get you half a cup of coffee at your local Starbucks. Please read the consumer label completely and apply only as directed. *

I was on the T/A Galaxy May 2006 crossing. I had read all the posts on this board prior to my cruise but I need not have worried as the bed in my room was comfortable and without problem. My room also had new carpeting and the only obvious signs of wear was a stain on the wash basin. Several people have spoken about this.

Generally the ship was in much better condition than I had been led to believe and I had a great cruise. I was travelling alone and I always ask for a double bed configuration. This way I sat up in bed in the morning and had breakfast before I surfaced for the day.

I am going on Century on the 25th September 3 weeks on Monday and do I think I will have a better holiday just because she has had the refit. Absolutely NO!

Would I cruise on Galaxy again YES!

Sue

We were on the Galaxy for a Christmas Cruise in 2004. We did notice the rumbling in the dining room. Not really a problem, but as it got gradually louder and more intense, there were a lot of very puzzled looks around the dining room!

I have to laugh at the continual comparison to Carnival! The fear that a cruise on the Galaxy might be like a Carnival cruise...here's the irony:

After a number of years away, we (just for the heck of it) booked a Carnival Mexico cruise on the Spirit this year. THE BED AND THE BEDDING ON THAT SHIP WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST WE'VE EVER ENJOYED on ANY of our 15 or so cruises!

Granted the food wasn't great, but certainly way beyond expectations.

I can only HOPE that our November 2006 Galaxy cruise is like our March 2006 Carnival cruise! :p

I was on the T/A Galaxy May 2006 crossing.

Would I cruise on Galaxy again YES!Sue

however given a choice I would go for a newer ship. the jacuzzis were inoperable as was the t pool. the deck needs re surfacing. If you have a choice take a ship that is in better condition.

Since I was quoted at the start... I would cruise on Galaxy again as well.. but I would look at all the other Celebrity ships first.

Right after our May 6th transatlantic, the band and the duo (rendezvous) were replaced for our Eastern Medit. cruise. Because we love the nightly dancing we were very disappointed... the waiters were not very impressed either when pre-dinner guests no longer bothered showing up because the duo was so bad.

With fogged up windows to look out in the lounge, with pools not functioning, with a crew, from captain on down, being less friendly than other X ships.. Galaxy is not up to the same standards as other X ships. Anyone who is impressed on Galaxy will love the rest of X.

Galaxy is slated for drydock next year. As far as I know the bedding was to be replaced in August. The captain is on holidays. The entertainment will probably be rotated. The maitre'd is now on Century (darn).

Galaxy sails out of Puerto Rico this winter and the prices are very good. I don't think you will find a better deal elsewhere. The food will be good, the service probably great, the sun will shine, the ports wonderful. I would rather be on Galaxy than at home in the cold....but I would rather be on Infinity, Constellation, Summit, Century, Mercury....

Did I say that Galaxy had the best January cruise prices???;)

We were on the Galaxy in August. The ship is clearly not new, basins are stained (but not dirty) but we had a great time because the service and food was excellent. We discussed the cruise with lots of people on board and never heard a single complaint about the beds (in fact we'd have preferred people to sleep a bit less as most were in bed by midnight and so the nightlife was a bit limited!). We did have a good itinerary (Eastern Med) and so perhaps I would have had time to be more picky on an itinerary which gives more time to look at the ship.

Archived