Grandeur-Baltimore-Earliest Embarkation time

I am dropping my sister off at the port in Baltimore for her Grandeur cruise. What is the earliest time I can drop her off there, and about what time should I plan on picking her up the following Sunday? Anyone who has cruised on this ship recently out of Baltimore, I'd appreciate any help on this question. Thanks so much.

It appears that most people are not off the ship until around 1130-1200. They started calling colors to get off about 930-945am. I suppose it can vary some each week.

You can start processing to get on about noon. The first people to be called for boarding were "special" Crown/anchor members and then people who were handicapped. Then everybody else by number (which you get at checkin). This started about 1pm.

Drop her off about 1145-1200

Plan to pick her up about the same time.

Official boarding is 2pm

Was on June 11 sailing & agree with above poster about timing. If you live in the Baltimore area, could your sister perhaps call you via cell phone when her color is called to disembark to let you know to head for the pier?

That's a good question. There are two lines at check-in. The regular one, the one I am always in, & the priority one for those who are higher level C&A members & those in suites. In the regular line, there was no variation in passing out the boarding number among anyone based on what type cabin you were booked in - it was solely your order in line. I'm guessing, and this is only a guess, that those in the priority check in would be given lower numbers so they could board earlier. Maybe someone with experience can verify what happens with priority check in.

• 9 years later...

I've seen posts where people are boarding at 10:30. DH and I live just over one hour from the port and have arrived anywhere between 10 and 11. In March, we plan to be there by 10:30. Setsail pass says check-in is between 10:30 and 3:00, so arriving earlier means waiting. We were there at 10 our first trip on Grandeur and had to wait for check in to open. There's no place to sit while waiting to check in like there is after you check in so if you arrive early, be prepared to stand.

Arriving earlier doesn't necessarily mean waiting. When we last visited Baltimore for our cruise a few weeks back we were flabbergasted at how FAST we got on.

We arrived at 10:15, unloaded from our shuttle, we were checked in 15 minutes later, there was NO "sit and wait" routine (proceed straight to the ship, woohoo!) and were onboard by 10:40.

Last time we were in Baltimore we had about a 40 minute wait in the waiting area, arriving at around the same time. Ultimately things vary widely based on how fast the ship disembarks and when people start arriving - obviously there was a lot of latecomers the last time we were there, but it was great for us!

Arriving earlier doesn't necessarily mean waiting. When we last visited Baltimore for our cruise a few weeks back we were flabbergasted at how FAST we got on.

We arrived at 10:15, unloaded from our shuttle, we were checked in 15 minutes later, there was NO "sit and wait" routine (proceed straight to the ship, woohoo!) and were onboard by 10:40.

Last time we were in Baltimore we had about a 40 minute wait in the waiting area, arriving at around the same time. Ultimately things vary widely based on how fast the ship disembarks and when people start arriving - obviously there was a lot of latecomers the last time we were there, but it was great for us!

Arriving early does mean waiting until the check in counter opens, which generally isn't til at least 10 am. It also depends on whether or not there are inspections on that day. That impacts boarding time too.

Edited by BND

We like to get to the port to embark by about 10:30-ish. There is less of a line. She may have to wait a few minutes if they are slow clearing the ship. But, usually you can board by 11 am.

We always use self-disembark in Baltimore. Our DD lives about 35 mins from the port. We call her when we grab our luggage to head for the exit. By the time we get though customs [often that is no more than hand off the customs form] she is there or we only have to wait for a short time. We are usually headed home with self disembark by 7:30-8:00 am. The start calling numbers right after that. Her number will depend on her status and room type.

PS--I would not drop her off at noon. That is the worst time. That is when everyone gets there and it is VERY crowded. We made that mistake a couple of times. :p

Go earlier or later. "Radio" has taken more cruises from Baltimore than most captains. :) If he says you can drop off at 9 am--that is the answer!

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I am dropping my sister off at the port in Baltimore for her Grandeur cruise. What is the earliest time I can drop her off there, and about what time should I plan on picking her up the following Sunday? Anyone who has cruised on this ship recently out of Baltimore, I'd appreciate any help on this question. Thanks so much.

last september we got there about 9 am and had to wait before they would let us drop off luggage/check in. the ship was still disembarking pax at that hour. we sat there for a good 45 minutes.

we were, however on board by 1040.. they began boarding at 1030. I'd say 10 am is good time. if she does self disembark she can be through customs before 8.

The number you get at check-in. Is it based on the time you got there or do they discriminate between suites, balconies, inside cabins, etc?

Suites and Pinnacle have their own roped off section which boards first. then general boarding begins( assuming no wheelchairs are used although they actually board differently. on deck 2 not the Ramp of Doom) Boarding actually goes very quickly once it begins since they now take your picture at check in, not as you board.

On our b2b we were at the port at 9:30 and check in had started. Both the 12/14 and 12/24 cruise boarding began about 10:30. Self assist departure runs from 7-8, suite and pinnacle member numbers are called at 8 and, if everything runs like it usually does, the last number called is 9:25-9:30. On the b2b cruise everyone was off and they took us out at 9:40 and we were back on shortly after that.

Grandeur does seem to board earlier than Enchantment did (or even Grandeur did in 2008-2009). I'm assuming that part of the difference with Grandeur/Enchantment is that Grandeur hasn't been stretched thus fewer passengers to get off.

We've gotten to the pier at 9 before and had to wait a couple (maybe 5) for the person taking the luggage to get there. The ones that seem to wait a little longer are the ones that are parking. They seem to have to wait until all the previous passengers are off the log.

Edited by pjlee3333

On our b2b we were at the port at 9:30 and check in had started. Both the 12/14 and 12/24 cruise boarding began about 10:30. Self assist departure runs from 7-8, suite and pinnacle member numbers are called at 8 and, if everything runs like it usually does, the last number called is 9:25-9:30. On the b2b cruise everyone was off and they took us out at 9:40 and we were back on shortly after that.

Grandeur does seem to board earlier than Enchantment did (or even Grandeur did in 2008-2009). I'm assuming that part of the difference with Grandeur/Enchantment is that Grandeur hasn't been stretched thus fewer passengers to get off.

We've gotten to the pier at 9 before and had to wait a couple (maybe 5) for the person taking the luggage to get there. The ones that seem to wait a little longer are the ones that are parking. They seem to have to wait until all the previous passengers are off the log.

We have parked everytime (we drive to Baltimore) while people are still getting off and leaving. You pay to park as you enter so it doesn't matter if there are people still departing.

Edited by BND

I need a recent time window for embarkation on Grandeur of the Seas for jan 31,2014,as I can't seem to find that on their website.if anyone knows please tell me

After I leave - that is the last morning of our Grandeur cruise...:(

I always thing about planning to arrive at ____. But we leave when we are ready. SO if we get there at noon, we get there at noon make no difference if that is the worst time to arrive or not.

I have to drop off my cat & hit the gym before we leave - so I can be 100% ready for the cruise.:)

We have parked everytime (we drive to Baltimore) while people are still getting off and leaving. You pay to park as you enter so it doesn't matter if there are people still departing.

Thanks for the update. I know that almost every time we go the airport shuttle (cheaper to take that than to pay parking) goes around a line of cars waiting to get on the lot. The line that is for people parking isn't moving so (and is well ahead of where luggage drop off or paying for parking is) always assumed that the lot wasn't open yet for people parking.

I need a recent time window for embarkation on Grandeur of the Seas for jan 31,2014,as I can't seem to find that on their website.if anyone knows please tell me

As of August, 2013:

We showed up at 9am in our car. We were 4th in line lol. Waited until 10am, parked and got moving through security etc. Had my first drink in my hand by 1130. Also, I *think* my aunt and uncle dropped my grandparents off at security earlier but they weren't allowed in until 10am.