New Macy's, Formerly Hechts

comfortcove

Well, went shopping again yesterday. I have got to stop now, have too many new clothes for upcoming cruise. I had been in Macy's about a month ago, and didn't like their merchandise as well as old reliable Hecht's. Today is their grand opening and yesterday I found the store fully stocked with better selections and great sales. Bought 3 dresses, one a new little black dress, one a cocktail type for both the cruise and a wedding the weekend after we get back, one a more casual flirty print in turquoise and sea green, also for cruise and whatever. Also bought some new panties, strapless bra and a pretty negligee ($7!!!!). Everything was on sale, even the LBD, with an extra 15% off total purchase. If you have a Macy's check out their sale, ad in the paper says it is a nationwide grand opening. Now I am done shopping for this cruise, no more excuses, all I have left to find are some strappy evening sandals and some dressy hose to go with new LBD. We leave three weeks from today, and I am so ready for a break alone with DH.

I know how you feel. I am going to miss Hechts. It was one of those stores that nine times out of ten I could count on finding what I was looking for. They also had one particular "house brand" of upscale sportswear that I was fond of. I guess we just have to roll with the changes. We have a lot of new boutique style stores here that I haven't really had time to explore, and at the rate I've been shopping, probably don't need to anytime soon. Macy's seems kind of generic, but they did have cute stuff yesterday. Have a good weekend, Nancy

I'm not totally thrilled with our Filene's changing to Macy's - but I'm going shopping tonight to see if I like anything better - I'm sure I will find something.

DH works at the store and I'm still getting used to everyone wearing black, although they can now wear opened toed shoes. Jan

In the Danbury Mall (Ct.) there was Filenes and Macys. Since Macys took over, my daughter in law said Filenes is empty. Sad. Dillards did something pretty smart down here: in our local mall there are 3 Dillards...one strictly for womens', one for mens' and housewares and the third for cosmetics, petite and childrens. Maybe Macys will do that in Ct. I think it's a good idea.

In the Danbury Mall (Ct.) there was Filenes and Macys. Since Macys took over, my daughter in law said Filenes is empty. Sad. Dillards did something pretty smart down here: in our local mall there are 3 Dillards...one strictly for womens', one for mens' and housewares and the third for cosmetics, petite and childrens. Maybe Macys will do that in Ct. I think it's a good idea.

We have a Dillards that occupies two anchor store spaces. One used to be Montgomery Ward. They have everything except women's and cosmetics/fragrances in the one that used to be MW. This Dillard's has the largest women's shoe department of any Dillards (or at least it did a couple of years ago).

We've been going through the same thing out her, Robinson-May is now Macys. So far, I haven't been thrilled, but before they took over completely, I did find some pretty good bargains on some costume jewelry, a new watch and a new LBD.

A mens sportwear brand was selling out and we picked up several pair of shorts for the DH for $8 a pair. He wears shorts to work in the summer, so he needs quite a few pair. The mens shirts, not so lucky there, most were already sold out.

At first, the change seemed weird, but I've been to the store a few times, the dressing rooms are now nicer. Some of the same clerks I've seen there for years are still there. Plus, a lot of the brands are the same. They just don't have the coupon and red tag sales like R/M did. One of the clerks told me they are considering it, since this particular store was the busiest in the region and those was always their biggest revenue days.

Macy's bought out the entire May's dept store company. The only consolation prize is that they're selling off Lord & Taylor but they're being bought by and investment company and they say L & T will be in for a major overhaul:eek: Time for Dillard's to come to New England!! Macy's did say that they are going to keep some to the 'store' brands that Filene's carried. Which ones I'm not quite sure.

We have their big grand opening here this weekend from our LS Ayres chain. We had a Marshall Fields and they closed the store, that was a very sad day for me! I guess I will check it all out tomorrow, they sent me my new Macy's card in place of Marshall Fields so I will need to break it in.

I do miss Foley's now that it has become Macy's. The Foley's that I frequent seems very different, the clothing seems much "trendier" and not as much in the classic styles. Not sure which is more upscale, Macy's or Foley's. I will miss the convenience of having Foley's right across the street from my office; time will tell if I become a Macy's fan or not. I will definitely miss the Red Apple sales! Fortunately there is a Dillards in the same mall although it's one of the smaller Dillards stores.

Our Meier & Frank was also taken over by Macy's and I just hate it. I grew up with Macy's and didn't like it then and it hasn't improved with age. I wish we had a Dillards but we don't however Nordstrom is in the same mall and Sak's is downtown so we do have some options. We do have one of the largest factory story centers in the country so that helps a bit !!!

I never liked Hechts so I'm not devastated it's turning into Macys. Doubt I'll shop much there either:o Seems like every time I tried to go to Hechts, I got jostled & elbowed by women waving coupons at the cashier....And the clearance racks were always a total mess, no matter what time of day I'd stop in....

I used to love Kaufmanns for great clothes and excellent deals, but Macys bought those as well. I am really not found of Macys, so far it has not impressed me. I wish Dillards would have come in closer. I have to visit my sister in Ohio to go to one and then I have to pay tax on the clothes! The only perk of PA is no tax on clothing!

I did hear we may be getting a nordstrom in one of the malls, I will have to keep my eyes open for that....

I saw an article that talked about Macy's buying out all those other chains and how they would have a presence in 45 states, with many malls having 2 or 3 Macy's in the same mall. I live in Little Rock, Arkansas which is the home of Dillards, and even after the buyout, we still do not have a Macy's in our state. We have Dillards, JC Pennys, MM Cohn, and Sears. We're supposed to be getting a Parisien here in Little Rock, but I heard those are being sold off and the name changed. We live in hope that we will eventually get a Nordstrom's here, or a Macy's. But until then I will continue going to Dallas to do my major shopping. Don't get me wrong, Dillards isn't bad, but when it's your only choice...

Tomorrow is the official name change of Marshall Field's to Macy's. Having lived all of my life in Chicago and the near suburbs this is very depressing.

I just can't imagine going to the loop the day after Thanksgiveing to look at the Christmas windows at Macy's or having lunch under the Christmas tree in the Walnut Room at Macy's?

This is a dark day in the Chicago area.

Barbee, I know what you mean. I grew up in LaGrange, we always shopped at Oakbrook Fields or State Street. I have many fond memories of shopping at Fields, then lunching with my Mom on, what else, the Marshall Fields sandwich. I have the recipe for that if you want it. I always go back to Chicago for a long weekend btwn Thanksgiving and Christmas. It won't be the same without their beautiful windows and the tree in the Walnut room. I share your sorrow. Nancy

I used to love Kaufmanns for great clothes and excellent deals, but Macys bought those as well. I am really not found of Macys, so far it has not impressed me. I wish Dillards would have come in closer. I have to visit my sister in Ohio to go to one and then I have to pay tax on the clothes! The only perk of PA is no tax on clothing!

I did hear we may be getting a nordstrom in one of the malls, I will have to keep my eyes open for that....

They took over Kaufmans here too. I loved Kaufmans for all the great sales.Went to Kaufmans a few weeks ago not realizing that Macy's was taking it over until I got there. I don't like the changes and the store clerk said there were alot of customers complaining. Seemed too expensive and upscale to me.

Laura

Our Meier & Frank was also taken over by Macy's and I just hate it. I grew up with Macy's and didn't like it then and it hasn't improved with age. I wish we had a Dillards but we don't however Nordstrom is in the same mall and Sak's is downtown so we do have some options. We do have one of the largest factory story centers in the country so that helps a bit !!!

I used to love Meier and Frank in Eugene and now that they are Macy's I am really bummed! I used to be able to find whatever I wanted at M & F's but no longer.

Archived