Fashion & Beauty is for All Ages........

Jane110

I thought of another who looked great. Lucille Ball!! Yes her hair was WAY too red but lordie she had GREAT legs. I remember watching I think it was Here's Lucy in the late 60's- I was a teenager at this point and I was wishing I had legs like Lucy! Since she was past 40 when she had Lucy and Desi I am guessing she had to be around 60- as they were both older then me. But Lucy had the legs!!!!!!!!

I agree mom of meg(Jane) I think all those ladies were just classic. Lucielle was the Bomb as my kids would say,ha,hah,a, she was very pretty in her day and those LEGS! wow great gams.

My mother I would say if she had been Famous would be one of those women, she was and IS a very attractive lady and in her younger days I would be in just AWE of her (I told her that recenttly), everywhere we went peolee looked at my mother, she looked just like NATLIE WOOD (my parnts and my favorite perosally), all her clothes matched and the purse and shoes too, perfect sized body and lovley dark brunette hair. Then in my 20s peopele started telling me I too loooked like natalie wood, ohhh those WERE the days,ha,ha,ha now I look like Godzillas mother on a BAD bad day:D , makes you appreciate all these ladies , good genes for some, surgery fro some, right makeup for some, but all in all they looked and look fabulous and they are my fashion,makeup heros!.

JO

But I can't believe how Tanya Tucker looks now-she is 5 years YOUNGER then me and she could be my mother!! Gracious!!!!!!!! abd NO I do not look young anymore but thank goodness I don't look as old as Tanya!!!!!!!

She is a poster child for why you should not smoke.

I saw just this week that Isabella Rosselini's daughter is now going to be the new face of Lancome--I think they said she's about 22. The article said her mother was very pleased about it all.??

I guess I didn't catch the original 'firing' of Isabella and continue to use Lancome, mostly their mascara, which is the best I've ever used.

Maybe they should be hiring them as a mother/daughter pair. Wouldn't it be a great ad compaign to see the two of them together in a spread?

I don't use makeup, anti-wrinkle creams yes, same ones for the last 25+ years , La Prairie. I didn't realize Isabella was fired, but to be honest, I don't buy or not buy because of who is selling. Most of the time I would not even know who is selling a product. If I really want it I'll buy it. In this case it wouldn't matter since I don't buy Lancome, but if I really liked a product I would not boycott because of something like that, simply because in the grand scheme of things I would be the one to suffer not them. It's not a serious enough "offense" to me. Isabella will go on to live and be well so why inconvenience myself. She lost a contract, many people young and old loose contracts in that industry, it's the nature of the beast so to speak.

I respect those that do take a stand, I think it's great.

I agree with you Momofmeg, Jackie Smith, Cheryl Ladd, great looking women, Sela Ward, also another good looking lady. Let's not forget one other lady Lauren Hutton, last time I saw her in an add, she look fantastic and I think she was over 50 if not 60.

To the lady that said, she is the same age as Christie B, but won't look like her, I agree with that type of statement. Companies think if they put XXX on the product, represent the prouduct, it will induce us to buy it because it will make us look like that person. That is an insult to my intelligence.

It's an insult to my intelligence, to say "wear this and you will look like her", regadless of "her" age. I will never look like anyone else other than myself (good or bad I will always look like me). The way companies market, and I know it's marketing and the nature of the beast, but it's like eat this, or wear that, or do this, or wear Nike and you'll play wonderful tennis or basketball or whatever, yeah, right, let's be realistic, it doesn't matter, we will always be just who we are. Maybe that's why there is so much unhappiness out there because we can't be happy with us.

I like Sally Field I always felt her to be attractive. Goldie Hawn looks a bit plastic, you can see she had work. I have no issues with "work", it's up to an individual if they want to or not.

Have you seen Susan Lucci, she seems to never age or gain weight? I saw her once without makeup, what a major and I do mean major difference in looks.

And yes Luci Ball had the gams, really nice legs I agree 100%

I think it's not just the makeup companies, but fashion desingers should also take a look at what women over 40 wear. (excluding shoes and handbags and jewelry).

Cruisemom42 you are right, and smart marketing would mean InStyle to have a younger model and the other mag (I never heard of MORE) to have an older model. I would guess that it doesn't happen because of cost.

If they do one shoot, with one model they then can run the same picture/ad in many mags without the additional "shooting/model" cost.

Hi Lois,

Yes, you read right, I don't wear makeup, not even eyeshadow or mascara. On the rare occasion I might wear lip gloss but it will be more for "balm" reasons that for cosmetic. I'm not a fan of chapstick for some reason so I'll wear a lip gloss but usually no color or very light pink or beigy color.

I do wear anti-wrinkle creams with SPF in them.

My DH doesn't care for makeup. He likes the "natural look". No you are not the only one. I honestly hate the stuff on me, hate the way it feels, hate taking it off, and just don't feel it's important for myself. I respect those that wear it as a personal choice for themselves.

You are not old. I would not even call it a young term so don't feel that you are "aged" because you don't know the term.

And a Big Huge thank you for saying that I didn't need to appologize.

I hope you enjoy your new cleanser and thanks for answering my post most appreciated.:)

Mrs Moose, I do put make up on in the evenings

on my cruises:) blush and lipstick...along with

some extra around the eyes too. Just seems

to finish off my outfits;):D

But here at home, we are alike...I have no desire

to use make up remover. So the less make up the

better.

The new cleanser was a big step for me. I even

have to remember to take it in the shower

with me. Normally I wash my face with the

shower gel I use on myself.

Jane110, I knew Isabella Rossellini wasn't with Lancome anymore, but I had no idea she was fired for her age. Although I do tend to agree a bit with MrsMoose, I may have tried other products in protest for a while, I absolutely love their lash conditioner the best out of all I've tried.

I think we have to be happy that the tides are changing more than ever before. Until very recently, all ads were targeted for the 18-35 year old age group. In my mothers young adulthood, women in ads for housecleaning all wore heels and pearls to vacuum! Women were blamed for their husbands ring-around-the-collar!

What is so very amusing to me is the TV and print ads for wrinkle cream and you know the model has to be under 25 years of age....way under.

I'm actually more impressed with actresses (and actors) who don't succumb to the pressure of having face lifts and Botox. What is wrong with looking like a real person? Why do people think they have to have the skin of a 35 year old all their lives? To me, a person shows their life and their personality in their face, to have it surgically removed is a sad event.

I recently was watching a movie with Heather Locklear, sorry, don't remember the name. She played a mother whose daughter was trying to fix her up (she ended up with Big, Chris Noth, love him). Anyway, I couldn't get past the fact that her face had no movement, she could show no emotion. It made me think about how some of these actresses can go into public and look great, although their lives are in total despair, it's because the Botox doesn't allow expression to show through! I have read that Botox is a casting directors nightmare, they can hardly find actors anymore who have expression. Perhaps that is society is so accepting of reality shows, mediocrity is becoming all that is offered.

My hope is that, along with the magazines, ads, actors working in real roles into their middle and senior ages, we come to appreciate the look of aging. We shouldn't have to Botox our well deserved eye crinkles and what is wrong with a few laugh lines? It all just shows that you have had joy in your life.

Young people today have a definite advantage with the knowledge of protecting skin from the sun. Hopefully my kids will avoid the other skin damaging and aging accelerators, such as smoking, drinking, drugs and lack of rest (as in partying all night).

Mrs Moose, I do put make up on in the evenings

on my cruises:) blush and lipstick...along with

some extra around the eyes too. Just seems

to finish off my outfits;):D

But here at home, we are alike...I have no desire

to use make up remover. So the less make up the

better.

The new cleanser was a big step for me. I even

have to remember to take it in the shower

with me. Normally I wash my face with the

shower gel I use on myself.

I commend you for makeing the effort Lois. I look like the mansion without the curtains when I go out in "semi-formal or formal" attire. I refuse to wear makeup even for a formal event and no heals either. I won't go into PT because I wore heals. That's why I like a "female tux, a la YSL Le Smokeing". Serves my purpose, lol.:)

I really dislike makup remover

Jane110, I knew Isabella Rossellini wasn't with Lancome anymore, but I had no idea she was fired for her age. Although I do tend to agree a bit with MrsMoose, I may have tried other products in protest for a while, I absolutely love their lash conditioner the best out of all I've tried.

I think we have to be happy that the tides are changing more than ever before. Until very recently, all ads were targeted for the 18-35 year old age group. In my mothers young adulthood, women in ads for housecleaning all wore heels and pearls to vacuum! Women were blamed for their husbands ring-around-the-collar!

What is so very amusing to me is the TV and print ads for wrinkle cream and you know the model has to be under 25 years of age....way under.

I'm actually more impressed with actresses (and actors) who don't succumb to the pressure of having face lifts and Botox. What is wrong with looking like a real person? Why do people think they have to have the skin of a 35 year old all their lives? To me, a person shows their life and their personality in their face, to have it surgically removed is a sad event.

I recently was watching a movie with Heather Locklear, sorry, don't remember the name. She played a mother whose daughter was trying to fix her up (she ended up with Big, Chris Noth, love him). Anyway, I couldn't get past the fact that her face had no movement, she could show no emotion. It made me think about how some of these actresses can go into public and look great, although their lives are in total despair, it's because the Botox doesn't allow expression to show through! I have read that Botox is a casting directors nightmare, they can hardly find actors anymore who have expression. Perhaps that is society is so accepting of reality shows, mediocrity is becoming all that is offered.

My hope is that, along with the magazines, ads, actors working in real roles into their middle and senior ages, we come to appreciate the look of aging. We shouldn't have to Botox our well deserved eye crinkles and what is wrong with a few laugh lines? It all just shows that you have had joy in your life.

Young people today have a definite advantage with the knowledge of protecting skin from the sun. Hopefully my kids will avoid the other skin damaging and aging accelerators, such as smoking, drinking, drugs and lack of rest (as in partying all night).

Very well said HappyKS and I agree 100% with all that you wrote, except I wouldn't bother boycotting at all. It's not a serious offense. Isabella will not starve or be homeless and I'm sure she can find other work.

When a person who works at a job where looks and age doesn't matter, and looses it because of age, that is wrong, and offensive, but in the beauty/fashion industry, while maybe not correct and I may not agree, I simply don't care if a cover girl looses a contract for whatever the reason. Just my opinion.

Even if they put an older "model" like Christie or Laurie or Evangelista (yes she is over the hill now and I never liked her anyway) it will still not be a "real woman". When they start using real women like Dove in the ads then I might think differently.

I stopped likeing those models when I think it was Linda who said, "I'm not getting up from bed for less than $10,000 for the day's shoot.

I stopped caring or even noticing the "models" after I read that. I felt disgusted by the comment and since then, really just don't care. If they can't be bothered to get up for less than $10,000 for a day's work that really requires no education, intelligence, danger or whatever, then I can't be bothered to care if they loose a contract. Hopefully they were smart enough to save for their "old age" and had a good investment advisor.

Isabella Rosselini was in the last advertising campaign for Silversea, and several photos in their brochure are of her and her daughter (Elettra?) Gorgeous, both of them! She actually worked with Silversea to do the interior design of "her" suite.....

I don't use makeup, anti-wrinkle creams yes, same ones for the last 25+ years , La Prairie. I didn't realize Isabella was fired, but to be honest, I don't buy or not buy because of who is selling. Most of the time I would not even know who is selling a product. If I really want it I'll buy it. In this case it wouldn't matter since I don't buy Lancome, but if I really liked a product I would not boycott because of something like that, simply because in the grand scheme of things I would be the one to suffer not them. It's not a serious enough "offense" to me. Isabella will go on to live and be well so why inconvenience myself. She lost a contract, many people young and old loose contracts in that industry, it's the nature of the beast so to speak.

I "hear" ya' and understand. Sure, it didn't hurt Isabella - she went on to other things. My annoyance was with Lancome and at the time, there was alot of fury about her firing and women writing letters to Lancome and voicing their protests. It wasn't just that they wanted someone different - like you said, that happens all the time - it was that they said she was too old to sell anti-wrinkle creams.

And you're right again that I wouldn't "cut off my nose to spite my face". If Lancome had an incredible product that did wonders for me, I'd still use it. But I spent (spend) alot of money on cleansers, foundation, blush and eye make-up and many companies make products that are equal or better. And as for anti-aging cremes and cleansers I've found many that are alot better than Lancome, so there was no loss for me to switch to other brands.

It's an insult to my intelligence, to say "wear this and you will look like her", regadless of "her" age. I will never look like anyone else other than myself (good or bad I will always look like me). The way companies market, and I know it's marketing and the nature of the beast, but it's like eat this, or wear that, or do this, or wear Nike and you'll play wonderful tennis or basketball or whatever, yeah, right, let's be realistic, it doesn't matter, we will always be just who we are. Maybe that's why there is so much unhappiness out there because we can't be happy with us.

Totally agree!

I really hate that "celebrity's" are used to advertise anything. Do I really think a certain brand of watch is better because Cindy Crawford gets paid millions of dollars to say she likes it? Sheesh! I may have been born on Tuesday, but I wasn't born last Tuesday! ;)

However, there are legitimate endorsements. If Mario Batali says a line of cookwear is good for home use, or if Serena Williams says a particular tennis racket is well made, then I might take notice and give that brand a look. No guarantee's of buying it - but it's a "lead a horse to water" marketing strategy and IMHO, it's a legitimate one. Sorry, I know this is OT to the age issue - but it's about corporate strategy and spokepeople.

Isabella Rosselini was in the last advertising campaign for Silversea, and several photos in their brochure are of her and her daughter (Elettra?) Gorgeous, both of them! She actually worked with Silversea to do the interior design of "her" suite.....

I'd work with any cruiseline that wants me to design "my" suite too! :D

Well Sophia Loren is the spokesperson for that Italian cruiseline with the music theme - MSC (?).

And Cathy Lee "I sleep w/ flight attendants Gifford" was a good choice for Carnival.

I don't know why cruiseships need famous personalities to promote their line, but if they do, I think they made good choices.

I "hear" ya' and understand. Sure, it didn't hurt Isabella - she went on to other things. My annoyance was with Lancome and at the time, there was alot of fury about her firing and women writing letters to Lancome and voicing their protests. It wasn't just that they wanted someone different - like you said, that happens all the time - it was that they said she was too old to sell anti-wrinkle creams.

And you're right again that I wouldn't "cut off my nose to spite my face". If Lancome had an incredible product that did wonders for me, I'd still use it. But I spent (spend) alot of money on cleansers, foundation, blush and eye make-up and many companies make products that are equal or better. And as for anti-aging cremes and cleansers I've found many that are alot better than Lancome, so there was no loss for me to switch to other brands.

Totally agree!

I really hate that "celebrity's" are used to advertise anything. Do I really think a certain brand of watch is better because Cindy Crawford gets paid millions of dollars to say she likes it? Sheesh! I may have been born on Tuesday, but I wasn't born last Tuesday! ;)

However, there are legitimate endorsements. If Mario Batali says a line of cookwear is good for home use, or if Serena Williams says a particular tennis racket is well made, then I might take notice and give that brand a look. No guarantee's of buying it - but it's a "lead a horse to water" marketing strategy and IMHO, it's a legitimate one. Sorry, I know this is OT to the age issue - but it's about corporate strategy and spokepeople.

I fully understand, and respect the choices of switching. I'm a creature of habit personally and hate switching, (obviously same company for anti-wrinkle creams for over 25 years) so I generally hate the thought of even having to think of switching.

You know I had no idea that her being fired caused such a stir, either we don't hear the news here and I didn't read it in the mags or I just don't pay attention to that stuff. I find it very odd (I believe you just find it odd of Lancome) that they would fire an older woman who looks good who was selling anti wrinkle creams, sort of defeats the who marketing thing. Bad judgement, bad marketing, :rolleyes:

I agree sometimes there is a point for a "celeb hawker" as I call it, and it might get me to take a notice like you said, Batelli = kitchen ware.

:)

I was thinking about this thread when I washed my face last night. I use the Oil of Olay line. I remember maybe 15-16 years ago they hired Jennifer Capriotti, the tennis player, who was then maybe 18 years old to be their spokesmodel. At that time OOO was just moisturizer & was only used by "mature" women. What a marketing blunder that was! She was just SO inappropriate.

Now we've got Sally Field selling an osteoporosis med, & Diane Keaton & Susan Sarandon schilling for makeup. That's wonderful. The baby boomers have the $$$. Put them in the advertising.

Archived