Fashion & Beauty is for All Ages........

Jane110

Seems that marketer's, who IMHO have been asleep at the wheel for decades, are finally waking up to the fact that our society need not be driven totally by a youth. Beauty, fashion and fitness is available at any age and perhaps our society should celebrate the beauty of women who said goodbye to their twenties a long, time ago.....

So, that said, I'm happy to share with you the following that I read in a trade publication yesterday......

Mia Farrow - 61 - will be appearing in GAP ads.

Madonna - 48 - is currently advertising track suits for H&M.

Sharon Stone - 48 - will be doing ads for Badgley Mishka replacing the 20 year old Olsen twins

Jane Fonda - 69 - and Diane Keaton -60 - will be spokeswoman for L'Oreal cosmetics

I think it's a smart marketing strategy to do that. There's more disposable income in those age brackets usually. Though I can honestly say that I've not been swayed by a spokesperson to buy something, but I have stayed away from a product because of who was pitching it.

Seems that marketer's, who IMHO have been asleep at the wheel for decades, are finally waking up to the fact that our society need not be driven totally by a youth. Beauty, fashion and fitness is available at any age and perhaps our society should celebrate the beauty of women who said goodbye to their twenties a long, time ago.....

So, that said, I'm happy to share with you the following that I read in a trade publication yesterday......

Mia Farrow - 61 - will be appearing in GAP ads.

Madonna - 48 - is currently advertising track suits for H&M.

Sharon Stone - 48 - will be doing ads for Badgley Mishka replacing the 20 year old Olsen twins

Jane Fonda - 69 - and Diane Keaton -60 - will be spokeswoman for L'Oreal cosmetics

It is refreshing to see so many women over the age of 40 and even the mainstream ads are featuring women 40+ like Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton.

I guess they finally figured out our buying power.

I boycotted Lancome for a couple of months when Isabella Rossolini's contract wasn't renewed.

Hasn't Christy Brinkley been re-signed to Cover Girl?

I think it is fantastic that our society is starting to acknowledge others beside the 90 pound supermodel.

These ads do not influence my purchasing decisions, but I do like the fact that there are more body shapes and ages out there to influence young women.

It is saying to our public that it is okay to be in your 40's, that it can be sexy to be 50...life does not end when you turn 25.

I boycotted Lancome for a couple of months when Isabella Rossolini's contract wasn't renewed.

OHMYGAWD I can't believe you said that! We're really on the same wave length!

I did - and still do - boycott their product line.

I was a Lancome user for years - face cremes, eye creams, cleansers, eye shadow/masacra, blush, lipstick. Tons of stuff.

When they fired her for being too old at 40, I sent Lancome a letter. I wrote that if one of the most beautiful women in the world was no longer suitable to advertise face creams to make women look younger than there was something seriously wrong and I can only assume that their cremes simply don't work on and are not meant for women who are over 35. Additionally, I find it an insult and I'm no longer interested in supporting them. In response, they sent me a form letter that said nothing.

On my next visit to Bloomingdales (where I used to buy all my make-up) my regular Lancome saleslady saw me and tried to show me the new products. I told her she'd never be seeing my business again because her company's message is that their cremes don't work on anyone over 24 and they really don't want the business of us "over 35 year olds". They're going for a different target audience and excluding me. She confided that she's lost quite a few customers, especially the ones over 40 who were downright insulted.

Rossalini's firing because of her age caused quite a stir with both consumers and the media and Lancome never recanted. [/b

I've never gone back. Lancome has and will of course survive without my dollars, but I can only vote with my wallet, so I do.

BTW, when I walk by the Lancome counter these days and the saleslady's try to sell me I still tell them that I'm not interested in their product because I'm now over 40 and Lancome doesn't feel their products are for me. I don't get into a whole discussion as I'm sure they're not interested in my diatribe, but I do like to let them know that women still care.

It took me a year to find a cleanser I liked as much (actually it's better) as well as a different mascara. All the other products were easy to substitute.

Maybe because the Baby Boomers- those of us that were born after world War II and before 1965-we are getting old now. Those born in 1946, the first year after world War II are now 60 years old.

Plus the "pill" came along in the early 1960's so the Baby boomers did not have as many children-so now there is a large percentage of Baby Boomers compared to the rest of the population.

The cosmetic companies should wake up to this. I know when I was young-I used very little makeup-I did not need it-now it is a whole new ballgame! so if the cosmetic companies want to make money they should market to us Baby Boomers!!!!!!!! We are the ones that are buying!!!!!!!!

I think it's a smart marketing strategy to do that. There's more disposable income in those age brackets usually. Though I can honestly say that I've not been swayed by a spokesperson to buy something, but I have stayed away from a product because of who was pitching it.

It's the Baby-Boomers that are the spending market.

Linda

I agree that it's great to see great older women and a (very) few with real human-sized bodies in magazines. However, I'd like it even more if their images weren't air-brushed and computer-homogenized into sometimes unrecognizable beings. (Have you seen Cher lately?) It would also be great to see women my age (61) who are not overly botoxed and/or surgically 'fixed'.

I don't object to plastic surgery or botox for anyone who feels the need, I may go that direction someday myself, but I do object to having stars held up as role models who are obviously not real pictures of graceful aging. There are a few exceptions.

Has anyone else noticed that the cover models in most magazines, whatever their age, hardly look human anymore? They look like computer-generated creatures.

I have forgotten the magazine, but a recent article on a 20-something star made a very big deal--mentioned at least three times--of the fact that ONE of the pictures in the article had not been airbrushed. She was about 25!

I read on Yahoo news today that some of the fashion shows now have doctors there to determine the BMI and if the models are under a certain amount, they will not let them model. Maybe someone is realizing that skin and bones just does not cut it for the majority of us.

Hi Jane:) ...and anyone else too!

Jane, I noticed you mentioned you changed brands

from Lancome....and for their mascara as well....

Would you mind saying what cleanser you are using now?

And mascara for that matter;)

I have been lucky with pretty good skin

and will be 49 in March. I just bought

a new facial wash by "Bliss" from

Sephora's.

Lots of us in that baby boomer category!

We've got the money, so we SHOULD have the power.

Here's another beautiful women to add to the list of the disrespected. Sela Ward - who I think is just stunning - wanted to audition for a James Bond movie when she was 40. She was told that they were looking for a Sela Ward type, but they wanted 10 years younger. Ouch!

I quit using Lancome a couple of years ago, not because of the Isabelle Rosallini issue, but because I was sick of their products. My skin has gotten oilier as I have aged, and they don't recognize that people over 40 can have oily skin AND wrinkles, and want sun protection too.

Anyway, I now use Almay's eye makeup remover. I wear contacts, and their product is very gentle on the eyes.

Hi Jane:) ...and anyone else too!

Jane, I noticed you mentioned you changed brands

from Lancome....and for their mascara as well....

Would you mind saying what cleanser you are using now?

And mascara for that matter;)

I have been lucky with pretty good skin

and will be 49 in March. I just bought

a new facial wash by "Bliss" from

Sephora's.

Lots of us in that baby boomer category!

Hi Lois,

After I stopped using Lancome's milky cleanser, it took me over a year to find another one that worked well for me. After much trial and error I'm now a big fan of "Intral Cleasning Milk" by Darphin.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=prod6590028

I can't be bothered to use a separate cleanser for both eye make-up and face and I can use this without irritating my eyes. One bottle lasts me a very long time and I use it every night.

For mascara I use the Max Factor Calorie 2000 in black.

I like some of the Bliss products but never tried their cleanser. I got a gift certificate for Bliss for my b'day last winter that I still haven't used. But instead of product, I think I'm going to use it at their spa for a facial. :)

Jane

Two years ago I met Sigourney Weaver in St John at our friend's restaurant...she looked exactly like you would see her in a magazine. No makeup, great skin. (She was drinking a Cosmo)

A recent article in AARP( am I that OLD!!) showed Goldie Hawn campaigning for movie roles for older women that can still portray them as sexy, desirable women and not grandma's in muumuu's...

Conspicuous consumption has us believing that if we use XXX product, we will look like the celebrity that is selling it..it's all a game and a good one at that for the millions that the company takes in every year...(I'm guilty of falling for it!!)

I'm the same age as Christie Brinkley but I can smear all the lotions and creams on my face till the cows come home, but I'm never going to LOOK LIKE HER!!

I'm all for promoting the fact that once you turn "an older age" you shouldn't have to shrivel up and die and I do love seeing the older celebs promoting new products...mainly because I relate to Jane Fonda more than Britney Spears!!

In reality, I think it's all about good genes, healthy living, no stress. My best looking girlfriends (over 50) have never used anything but soap and water, lanolin, witch hazel and Pond's cold cream..

Really scary..my aunt worked as a chemist for Max Factor for 30 years...the main ingredient in mascara is TAR whether you pay $3 or $30 a tube.!!

I am thrilled about this trend, but I wonder if it's really an overall change in focus or just a recognition that there are a lot of niche markets out there now. For example, I love More magazine as well, and I think the cosmetics industry is smart enough to realize that you need to run an appropriate ad. (E.g., a Cover Girl ad in More would feature Christie Brinkley, while one in In Style magazine would probably feature a younger model.)

I read on Yahoo news today that some of the fashion shows now have doctors there to determine the BMI and if the models are under a certain amount, they will not let them model. Maybe someone is realizing that skin and bones just does not cut it for the majority of us.

I think runway models will always be unrealistically thin, because clothing designers basically want a walking clothes hangar on which to display their clothes. But fashion editors take that and then try to edit it for your more average person. I see a lot of features in magazines that show how you can wear the latest "trends" if you are tall, petite, curvy, etc.

Jane, more power to you! I never used Lancome products, but I WAS very turned off when they fired Isabella.

I think runway models will always be unrealistically thin, because clothing designers basically want a walking clothes hangar on which to display their clothes. .

Have you ever seen a professional runway model in person? Not to be ugly but they are truly freaks of nature.

Two years ago I met Sigourney Weaver in St John at our friend's restaurant...she looked exactly like you would see her in a magazine. No makeup, great skin. (She was drinking a Cosmo)

A recent article in AARP( am I that OLD!!) showed Goldie Hawn campaigning for movie roles for older women that can still portray them as sexy, desirable women and not grandma's in muumuu's...

I'm the same age as Christie Brinkley but I can smear all the lotions and creams on my face till the cows come home, but I'm never going to LOOK LIKE HER!!

Well then you and I are the same age. Did you see Kim Bassinginer in that TV movie on ABC Family? I haven't seen the movie- just the advertisement but boy does she look good and she is 7 months older then me-she could still pass for 35- on screen anyway!

But I can't believe how Tanya Tucker looks now-she is 5 years YOUNGER then me and she could be my mother!! Gracious!!!!!!!! abd NO I do not look young anymore but thank goodness I don't look as old as Tanya!!!!!!!

I may not look as young as Christie Brinkley and Kim Bassingier but at least I don't look as old as Tanya!!!!!!!!

I just got on this morning and saw this post and went YES!!!! thats how I feel too. Im a HUGE Isabella Fan, my mother too and Ingrid Bergman her mum, Isabella is just lovley inside and out to me, Ive told my hubby that for years. JANE kuddos for you taking that approach, she was and is STILL gorgeous. I too read MORE magazine AND BIZARRE, and VOGUE and SHOP! I love that magazine, Im a magazine nut (Anyone else with tons of subscriptions???. Gourmet,Redbook yada yada yada,ha,ha,ha,ha.

Ive used CLinique and Landcome since late 70s, it all started when I was 19 working at Nordstroms, I became hooked:D .

Now I have to say I think Sophia Loren is just WOW! and Catherine Denuve (totally spelled wrong Im know:p ) AND BOTH my hubby and I think Sharon Stone is just soooo pretty (really admire her look and how she dresses, simple but chic).

Have a great day!, its sunny and a new day what else could one ask for.

Luv

Live Life Jo

I just got on this morning and saw this post and went YES!!!! thats how I feel too. Im a HUGE Isabella Fan, my mother too and Ingrid Bergman her mum, Isabella is just lovley inside and out to me, Ive told my hubby that for years. JANE kuddos for you taking that approach, she was and is STILL gorgeous. I too read MORE magazine AND BIZARRE, and VOGUE and SHOP! I love that magazine, Im a magazine nut (Anyone else with tons of subscriptions???. Gourmet,Redbook yada yada yada,ha,ha,ha,ha.

Ive used CLinique and Landcome since late 70s, it all started when I was 19 working at Nordstroms, I became hooked:D .

Now I have to say I think Sophia Loren is just WOW! and Catherine Denuve (totally spelled wrong Im know:p ) AND BOTH my hubby and I think Sharon Stone is just soooo pretty (really admire her look and how she dresses, simple but chic).

Have a great day!, its sunny and a new day what else could one ask for.

Luv

Live Life Jo

Livelife there are a couple of funny movies about women getting older-I loved First Wive's club and Goldie Hawn and Dianne Keaten looked great in that-now Bette Middler not so much-but she wasn't that cute when she was young-and really to me-looks like she has not aged in 20 years- but boy is she a great actress and funny!!!!!

but like you said, Isabella is a classic beauty sort've like Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly/ Princess Grace-they were beautful women until the day they died.

I also think Jane Seymour belongs in that group. She is the only woman I know that really looks good with long hair that is over 50!!!! cheryl Ladd and Jackelyn Smith still looks great also. but poor Farrah?????

Archived