silly, but still a???

mlmagic

I know I am probably gonna be laughed at here, but still, for all you cruisers who have criused for years and lot's of them, I have to ask...DH and I just saw the new Poisidon movie, (rogue wave ship disaster) and I thought, "gee what are the chances of that really happening and I wonder if they do"? I have just recently became addicted to cruising, with our first one last May and I don't even want to think it's likely...I am planning on going at least once a year, should I worry, is this a real thing going on in the oceans out there??:(

So...experienced seapeople, please reply!!

Thanks!

mlmagic:rolleyes:

I know I am probably gonna be laughed at here, but still, for all you cruisers who have criused for years and lot's of them, I have to ask...DH and I just saw the new Poisidon movie, (rogue wave ship disaster) and I thought, "gee what are the chances of that really happening and I wonder if they do"? I have just recently became addicted to cruising, with our first one last May and I don't even want to think it's likely...I am planning on going at least once a year, should I worry, is this a real thing going on in the oceans out there??:(

So...experienced seapeople, please reply!!

Thanks!

mlmagic:rolleyes:

I think you have more of a chance slipping on the wet floor by the pool. Have fun and many more cruises.:)

I told ya I'd be laughed at! Well in any case, you all have put my mind at ease;) along with a good laugh, thanks and I will keep on planning all my future cruises!! I'll get more knowlegable as I go...hehehe

mlmagic

I think you have more of a chance slipping on the wet floor by the pool. Have fun and many more cruises.:)

LOL, thanks Grampy...that surely made me laugh today...I will look forward to my next "slip" at the pool;)

mlmagic

Marine architecture has come a long way since the early days of cruising. Ships now are remarkably stable. There have been cases of rouge waves coming up as high as the bridge. As Ruth said, they'll tilt the ship and send things (including people) flying. But nothing that would capsize a ship.

Of course, in theory ......

Oh lordie. Don't worry at all. Yes, rouge waves are a possibility but so are meteor strikes and alien abductions. Yet, what are the chances? Remember, Poseidon was only a movie and a very bad one at that. You may be sea sick from rough waves in stormy conditions but even that is a slight possibility with new stabilizers and the shipping lines deliberately avoiding storms as much as possible.

Big fan of the 1972 Poseidon Adventure and confess - sadly - that it was probably what got me interested in ocean liners and cruise ships. Only recently started to cruise but in no way am I ever worried that something so unlikely is ever going to happen. So get on a ship and enjoy. Cruising is really an enjoyable life.

David

Once, I was standing by the pool in my bathrobe when I saw a rougue wave coming. Luckily, there were Aliens waiting to abduct me. They wisked me away from the wave. As I looked back I could see meteor showers raining down on the poop deck. :D :D

Go, cruise, enjoy; have fun!

Recently a situation occurred that caused a reportedly 15 degree list on a Princess ship that made headlines. That means it was highly unusual (otherwise it wouldn't be newsworthy).

My point is that you can rest assured that you will unlikely experience anything remotely close to this on your cruise.

By the way, the concept on Cruiise Critic is that the only dumb question is the one not asked. Feel free to ask anything.

As a retired Navy Diver I have spent some time at sea and under the sea, rogue waves were until recently thought to be extremely rare. A just finished study using satellites showed that at any given time there a roughly 10 of these wave present around the globe. They also found them to be located in a few specific areas luckly out of shipping lanes. As for worrying about them, there are alot worse thing going on in the world.

I told ya I'd be laughed at! Well in any case, you all have put my mind at ease;) along with a good laugh, thanks and I will keep on planning all my future cruises!! I'll get more knowledgeable as I go...hehehe

mlmagic

Don't let their teasing bother you I just came back from my first cruise in August and watched the same movie shortly after, I was down on my computer surfing the INTERNET right after the movie.

They are out there but rare and short lived and not about to tip you over (famous last words)(knock on wood).

(a) If you see a married man who also has a mistress on board, an old lady, a boy and his dog, be afraid. Be very, very, afraid. They are always present in disaster movies.

(b) Rogue waves only occur when there are massive, gala parties happening and people are desperately trying to escape reality and their problems. Avoid.

© The first Poseidon Adventure starred Leslie Neilson and you know how competent he was from his later roles in Airplane and Naked Gun. Check with your TA to make sure he's not the Captain on your upcoming cruise.

(d) Have all the Baked Alaska you want. Should a rogue wave hit and the ship rolls over, as you head toward the ocean floor you will be thinking, "You know, I could have had that second dessert."

During the 2000 World Cruise, a Rogue Wave hit the Rotterdam in the bow at about 2am. The wave hit us on the way home between Midway Island and Hawaii. The crew exercise room ceiling (which is in the bow) collasped and damaged the exercise equipment. No one was in the exercise room at the time. No one was hurt.

The dinning room tables had been set for breakfast by the evening crew. Most of the dishes were broken on the floor. Drawers were damaged on the dining room serving islands. When we went to breakfast the crew was shoveling up dishes.

Every drawer in our cabin was flung open. All the things on the desk except for my lap top was on the floor. I got up and put my computer on the floor.

The starboard side of the bow had a series of bad dents in it. When we pulled in to Hawaii the Coast Guard and HAL engineering met the ship to determine if it was sea worthy. It was so we continued to LA. If it had not been we would have needed to fly home. On that cruise LA was the final stop. So rogue wave do hit HAL ships!

........So rogue wave do hit HAL ships!

Granted Ron, they have happened and not just on HAL ships but it is still an extremely rare occassion and they are not going to turn a cruise ship completely inverted a la the infamous Poseidon!

No worries MlMagic - just keep an eye on the orchsetra! As long as they're still playing music, you're OK!

The Poseidon Aventure, Snakes on Planes, The attack of the killer tomatoes, Godzilla meets Freddy, The Fly:eek: etc. are just "entertainment" from La La Land

Archived