Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

I looked again, and when I choose only Ponce it show only 3 start and lower. Are you sure you only clicked on Ponce?

By selecting each one separately you can make a list of which areas have what start choices.

Then when you actually bid you will always start with SJ 3.5, and with each re-bid choose one of the areas you already know have 3 stars or less.

I assume you are looking at the "name your own price" site. Because that is the site that will show you each area's star ratings for bidding. I wasn't sure what you meant by the Priceline Retail site.

Thanks for your help. I added Aquadilla @ $95 and it got accepted for Caribe Hilton.

Thanks for your help. I added Aquadilla @ $95 and it got accepted for Caribe Hilton.

That's a good price and a nice hotel - I believe it is in the Resort category.- although when we stayed there we ate elsewhere. But the pool, beach area was beautiful and the eating area by the pool was good.

That's a good price and a nice hotel - I believe it is in the Resort category.- although when we stayed there we ate elsewhere. But the pool, beach area was beautiful and the eating area by the pool was good.

I went back in Priceline and now I know what you were trying to tell me about seeing what's available for each area on the 'name your own price' tab. I was looking at the tab that had the set prices and was seeing the Ponce location with a 3*+ hotel (I think it was the Hilton). Thanks for the help!

I went back in Priceline and now I know what you were trying to tell me about seeing what's available for each area on the 'name your own price' tab. I was looking at the tab that had the set prices and was seeing the Ponce location with a 3*+ hotel (I think it was the Hilton). Thanks for the help!

Your welcome -

Been trying to get a resort for Feb 5 for about 3 or 4 weeks with no luck. This morning I noticed that the prices listed had gone down so I tried again and got the Caribe Hilton on my first bid! We stayed here last year for the same price. Of course I immediately wondered if I could have gotten it for $80, but not a bad price and we were happy with this resort last year. Yay! One less thing left to do!!

I'm a priceline virgin, but after reading this board I decided to give it a try. I would really like to get Sheraton Old San Juan for 2 nights. I followed all the instructions from the recent posts, but after a few trys I did not want to go any higher. I will try back over the next couple of days.

I wanted to ask if there was such thing as an "ideal" time period to submit bids during the day, that might be more likely to be accepted. I know plane flights tend to be cheaper in the middle of the day, so I wanted to see if there was something similar with hotels.

Been trying to get a resort for Feb 5 for about 3 or 4 weeks with no luck. This morning I noticed that the prices listed had gone down so I tried again and got the Caribe Hilton on my first bid! We stayed here last year for the same price. Of course I immediately wondered if I could have gotten it for $80, but not a bad price and we were happy with this resort last year. Yay! One less thing left to do!!

Would you share what parameters you put in to get such a great price? Thanks

Would you share what parameters you put in to get such a great price? Thanks

I used the same thing each time. I put in resort in San Juan (area 8). The first few weeks I couldn't get anywhere. I went as high as $125 adding other areas and increasing my bid as I went. This time, I just did the same thing again...San Juan and resort, bid $90 and it was accepted. I had noticed on the main page that the price of the Caribe Hilton had gone down, so that might have been why it was accepted this time and not before. We stayed here last year for the same price and were very pleased with it.

After seeing the accepting bid of $90 for Caribe, I excitedly tried to bid yesterday but it wouldn't accept it. I'm looking for one night March 26 so I still have plenty of time.

I stayed at InterContinental in Miami, and it was the nicest place I had ever stayed, very plush, had ATM inside, Starbucks and got upgraded to a harbor view. Great deal!

I am new to the name your price game; It asks for credit card info and stuff - do you have to pay when your bid is accepted or when you check in to hotel? Also, it says 'late check in', how late do you need to check in? Any other quick tips? I'm kind of unsure about this...:confused:

You put in the credit card info in conjunction with your bid. If your offer is accepted, you are immediately charged and will recieve a confirmation notice to print out, as well as one by email. Take that with you to check in. My experience has been that the room will be held on that date regardless of check in time, but I always call the hotel to make sure. This thread and betterbidding.com can give you lot of pointers for getting the best deal.

Yesterday I won the...

Intercontinental in San Juan for $125

one nignt 3/19/2011

limited bid to resorts only in the San Juan area near the airport (8?)

I was hoping for the Marriott Stellaris, as we stayed there last year and loved it. But after checking reviews, we are delighted. The Isla Verde area is very convenient and we actually prefer it to Condado.

Yesterday I won the...

one nignt 3/19/2011

I was hoping for the Marriott Stellaris, as we stayed there last year and loved it. But after checking reviews, we are delighted. The Isla Verde area is very convenient and we actually prefer it to Condado.

As far as I know, there is no way to limit one's bid to be near the airport (= Isla Verde area). The Priceline San Juan area (Area 8) extends all the way from the airport through Old San Juan. Currently, PL does not use any 4* or Resorts in Old San Juan, so for this level of bidding, the area stretches from Isla Verde up to and including the Caribe Hilton.

I'm glad you are pleased with your win, but I wanted to clarify this for future bidders - the airport area is not a separate zone in Priceline. I've read good things about the Intercontinental, so I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there.

Thank you for the clarification in respect to possible confusion on the part of future bidders. I did not intend to suggest that PL offers a separate (near the airport) zone for San Juan. If you look at the list of hotels on the fixed price page, the locale description says "San Juan - airport (SJU)" for every property in zone 8. I actually consider anything in zone 8 (both Isla Verde and Condado) sufficiently proximate to the airport in terms of travel time and convenience.

In March we will travel on Princess for our fourth Spring Break cruise out of San Juan. We love the itimerary and are delighted to have have found Priceline and these helpful CC boards. Thanks again for the response!

Just got the Caribe Hilton for $90 per night ($209.04 with tax) for Feb 3 and 4, 2011. Thanks so much for the tip! We had settled on the Hampton for $150 per night which I will now cancel since in November I had bid up to $140 with no luck for a resort. Super excited!

Is there a resort fee on top of this does anyone know?

Also if you book under priceline will they honor Diamond Hilton Honors for free breakfast and internet? I assume no but we will ask.

It never hurts to ask. We are Marriott Rewards members and sometimes get perks such as an upgrade to Concierge level with snacks and free breakfast included.

Just got the Caribe Hilton for $90 per night ($209.04 with tax) for Feb 3 and 4, 2011. Thanks so much for the tip! We had settled on the Hampton for $150 per night which I will now cancel since in November I had bid up to $140 with no luck for a resort. Super excited!

Also if you book under priceline will they honor Diamond Hilton Honors for free breakfast and internet? I assume no but we will ask.

Yesterday I won the...

one nignt 3/19/2011

OMG Thank you sooo much. i was just reading your post and decide to do exactly what you did & GOT IT!!!!!! First try I got the Intercontinental for 2 nights for $125 per night....OMG!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!!!

Hi all, I am seriously considering a priceline bid for San Juan on the night of April 29th (pre-cruise). I am new to priceline and have been trying to search for a link to give me an overview of the bidding process, so far no luck. I would really like to get the Marriott for the night and would appreciate any assistance on how to best increase my odds for that hotel. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi all, I am seriously considering a priceline bid for San Juan on the night of April 29th (pre-cruise). I am new to priceline and have been trying to search for a link to give me an overview of the bidding process, so far no luck. I would really like to get the Marriott for the night and would appreciate any assistance on how to best increase my odds for that hotel. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

http://www.betterbidding.com

... I would really like to get the Marriott for the night and would appreciate any assistance on how to best increase my odds for that hotel. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

In addition to the link the previous poster provided, you can also read the FAQs at:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/topic/2560/Hotel-FAQ

The short answer to your question about the Marriott - there is nothing you can do to increase your chances of getting the Marriott. If you really want the Marriott, and will not be happy somewhere else, then you should book the Marriott and forget Priceline.

Yes, there is a 14% resort fee payable at checkout. Should be $12.60/night in your case.

Hilton does not award any points for hotel stays booked on Priceline. But I would assume you would get breakfast (?). I don't know about free internet in your room, but it is free to all in the lobby, a rather noisy place to sit.