Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

Autumn3, Now I understand the thing you wrote about priceline in another string :D

Any ideas when it is the best time for bidding? And can you choose between diff. hotels?

best wishes

Kim

Hi Kim!

You can't choose your hotel on priceline - you pick an area and a price and see whether it is accepted. I chose San Juan and picked "resort" and used a price of $75 and ended up with the Caribe.

This Priceline stuff is weird. I was hoping to get the Sheraton so I chose 3 star hotels only (no resorts) which is the category the Sheraton fell into. I also went a little higher on my bid hoping that might help get the Sheraton, so I bid $80. My bid was accepted on the first try and I was "upgraded" to the Caribe Hilton which is in the resort category which I had not selected.

I'm thinking that maybe the Caribe Hilton is the big player in San Juan with Priceline.

I'm not complaining - the Caribe Hilton looks like a great hotel, but it just seems odd how it all worked out.

At least I know I have a nice hotel at a good rate and I can check that off my list! :D

I tried resort level in hopes of getting Caribe Hilton, and was declined for $60, now unless i change the dates, the level of hotel, or the location, it wont let me bid again for 24 hours...is this normal?

I tried resort level in hopes of getting Caribe Hilton, and was declined for $60, now unless i change the dates, the level of hotel, or the location, it wont let me bid again for 24 hours...is this normal?

That's normal. You might want to go to biddingfortravel dot com to get some more information on how priceline works.

:confused:

Just got the Caribe Hilton for $65 for our pre-cruise stay on 10/26/07.

Whats the secret ? I just tried $65 and got nothing.

You sure its not the Caribe Cockroach u got and not the Hilton as you requested ? LOL

That seems incredibly low...and we are staying the same night as you :confused:

:D Ok, I was wrong...!!! I just tried it again and got it for $70 !!! on the 26th and we are staying on the 3rd post cruise for $65 !!!! Holy Crap is that ever cheap !!!!

Thats an incredible price for that place...Thanks so much for the advice on that price...I would have never in a million years bid so low....IM A HAPPY BOY !!!

When bidding on Priceline I want to be close to the port. Or not that far from it. Should I choose San Juan as my choice for areas to stay in?

Does anyone know how far the San Juan hotels are from the port?

Has anyone been lucky for bookng the weekend of Sept 16/07 yet?

Thanks in advance

We've been trying for a few weeks now to get a room for Aug. 18 (pre-cruise) and Aug. 26 (post-cruise). We've gone up to $85. Anybody have any luck for Aug. dates? Any tips?

Thanks!

Find a Hotel with a cancelable reservation, keep tryin PL, and be patient. At least you know you will have a room. We have the Holiday Inn Express booked($125) and we are still trying PL. Seems to be no PL rooms for 10/6/07 either. Keep us posted

Good for you! I never thought I'd get it that low either, but my bid was accepted first try. Glad I could help. Enjoy your cruise.

:D Ok, I was wrong...!!! I just tried it again and got it for $70 !!! on the 26th and we are staying on the 3rd post cruise for $65 !!!! Holy Crap is that ever cheap !!!!

Thats an incredible price for that place...Thanks so much for the advice on that price...I would have never in a million years bid so low....IM A HAPPY BOY !!!

I just bid up to $75 for San Jan Juan resort area, 1 night Sept 15 Check in and my bid was not accepted.....:(

Any tips other than the bidding for travel site. Too confusing for me.:cool:

I found that when I totally went out of the website and then went on and increased the bid by $10 they took it. You have to remember that it all depends on the date and the amount of rooms they have put aside for cheapies. If somethings going on and theres not a lot of rooms left then Im sure they wont give a deal.

Im not much of an expert with priceline but thats what ive heard.

Yesterday went on Priceline and tried to create an account for myself. Wasn't allowed as I live in Canada, not in US. It needs a State picked.

Well, I thought I'll see what happens in the bidding, and see if it will let me bid. I tried for resort in San Juan, 2 rooms, 2 nights, Aug. 20, at $60. Wasn't accepted. As per the suggestions from this thread (thanks to you all), I then added a region (I think it was Dodora) and bid at $65. It was accepted. Good stuff.

However, today I called Air Canada to check my flight booking. It turned out United (Star Alliance member that Air Canada booked on) had cancelled their flight to San Juan on Aug. 20 from Chicago. They gave me a United number to call to find out what can be done. I called United, and they said there are seats on another flight at 6am, but they cannot give to me. They told me to call back in a month, and see what's available. They said flight schedules will change again and there's nothing they can do?!?:o

Yesterday went on Priceline and tried to create an account for myself. Wasn't allowed as I live in Canada, not in US. It needs a State picked.

I chose the state of California (CA) and used 90210 as my zip code. In the first two lines of the address field I entered my full address.

Well, I thought I'll see what happens in the bidding, and see if it will let me bid. I tried for resort in San Juan, 2 rooms, 2 nights, Aug. 20, at $60. Wasn't accepted. As per the suggestions from this thread (thanks to you all), I then added a region (I think it was Dodora) and bid at $65. It was accepted. Good stuff.

However, today I called Air Canada to check my flight booking. It turned out United (Star Alliance member that Air Canada booked on) had cancelled their flight to San Juan on Aug. 20 from Chicago. They gave me a United number to call to find out what can be done. I called United, and they said there are seats on another flight at 6am, but they cannot give to me. They told me to call back in a month, and see what's available. They said flight schedules will change again and there's nothing they can do?!?:o

Can I please ask you a question regarding your bidding? :confused:

When you added another region, did you have "resort" and "dodora" both

Checked when placing your next bid?

I am at my wits end right now as I am up to $105 for Sept 15, 1 night stay and I started at $65....:(

Bid $100 on Priceline for San Juan Marriott Resort for 2/2/08 in San Juan; rejected. $105 subsequently accepted.

It took your bid for Feb 2008?....I am sailing in March. I wonder

if I should give it a try this early or not?

We've been trying for a few weeks now to get a room for Aug. 18 (pre-cruise) and Aug. 26 (post-cruise). We've gone up to $85. Anybody have any luck for Aug. dates? Any tips?

Thanks!

I've also been trying to book on Priceline for the month of August 2007. My wife and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and hope to get a room on 08/24/07 & 08/25/07 for our pre-cruise stay, preferably at the Hilton Caribe.

No luck as of yet. I've been trying for over a month. I know it takes time and will continue to try approx. every other day. I'll keep you posted on our progress.