Anyone ever catch a ship at second port?

jealdaka

Is it ever possible to catch a ship at the next port such as Key West if it has gone straight from Miami? You can do this in Europe sometimes but am not sure about here. I'm trying to find out if you actually miss the ship can you catch up or are you out of luck. I can't get the same answer twice from RCL.

If the cruise is a round trip cruise then you can NOT board the ship in Key West instead of Miami. It is a violation of the PSA because it would make it a cruise between two US ports without a stop at a distant foreign port. I think there may be exceptions in the PSA for boarding in San Juan or St. Thomas, but I know that RCCL will not let you board the ship in Key West if you miss a cruise leaving from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. I don't have the link, but if you find postings from MerionMom look in her signature for links to her December 2004 Jewel of the Seas cruise that she missed entirely due to missing her cruise in FLL and not being allowed to board in Key West.

Here's my signature, with the promised links.

For an explanation of the U.S. law which governs this, click here: http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

It is called the Passenger Services Act, often mistakenly called the Jones Act.

Merion Mom....You are truly amazing....A wealth of information......I think CC should name a board after you...:)

Right. But guess you could board at Key West, stop at Jamaica and other islands and then return to Miami.

Nope, that's exactly what you can't do according to the PSA. You are fine boarding in Jamaica because that makes it a one way cruise between Jamaica and Miami (another country to the US), but boarding in Key West makes it a one way cruise between Key West and Miami (cruise between 2 different US ports) which would require a stop in a distant foreign port according to the PSA, the nearest of which is Aruba.

Archived