Mom and her Sidekick Sean's Zaandam Sept 8th Alaska cruise

Tinknock50

Thought I had better get started on my review.:)

Who we are.....Sean, son and caregiver to Katherine (aka "Mom").

I decided I couldn't wait until next year to get my Alaska fix so we booked this cruise in June. My mom has parkinsons and required a handicap cabin. So being on a budget from already booking 2 cruises next year, I chose HC cabin H1805. It has 2 teeny portholes but, judging by pictures sent to me by Access and Compliance, it is very roomy.

When I booked, I noticed 2 HH cabins 3430 and 3431 that looked interesting. They are considered "fully obstructed", but have a full size window and have views through cut-outs in the hull to the left and to the right. My TAs search engine didn't list these as available when I booked.

Could be because they are handicap cabins and they are being resposible for saving them for people who really need them.:)

Decided to call HAL and found out they were available. In the meantime ,prices on all cabins had gone up. So basically to "downgrade" to an HH would have cost me more! HAL was reluctant to make the switch,but my TA came to the rescue and convinced them to move us for no extra costs.

Turned out to be an excellent cabin, with a nearby door to the promenade deck.

(Check out the "Disatrous Upgrade" thread for what happened just before we left for the cruise.:rolleyes: )

To be continued.....Mom needs her breakfast.:)

Sean,

Looking forward to the rest of your "saga" :) Being a newbie here I find your posts enjoyable and well presented. I can appreciate all the effort you put into caring for your Mom and making her a part of your life's adventures...The Almighty Creator has a special place for you! Write on.....

Check-in

We got to the port about 1:00. We had the porter take my Mom's walker and our two bags. I kept my back pack with me, so I had my hands free to push Mom's chair. There were 3 lines to check-in.

One for Handicap, one for internet immigration and one for everyone else.

The majority of the check-in personel were assigned to internet users.

First, we went to the handicap area and there were many people sitting there waiting to check-in. Since I could easily push my Mom up the gangway myself, I moved over to the regular line which seemed long but moved quickly. Glad I chose that line, because in no time at all we wheeled past the many people still waiting in the HC area and went on the ship. Th ramp is steep on to the ship, but if you have the strength to push the chair up the ramp, I reccommend skipping the HC line.

Had the "white gloved" stewards take us to our cabin.:)

Cabin

Turned out to be very nice. Even saw some whale activity from the room and was able to get out quickly from a nearby aft facing door to the promenade.

The cabin wall angles on the aft side making for a very wide cabin hall as you enter. It gradually angled to a normal width window wall. The cabin also differs from the norm in that the couch faces the window instead of running along the side wall as in regular outside cabins.

I had requested a bath chair in addition to the built-in flip down they normally have in HC baths. This Ships Coordinator made me feel silly for asking by saying "This isn't like a Hotel where we have all these things setting around!" so one won't be supplied. Well....when we got there the flipdown seat was missing (probably broke and never replaced) and not one but two shower chairs! We actually prefer the moveable chair because it is easier to position near the grab bars to help her stand.

I wish they had some sort of flip down bar in front of the toilet. To help Mom stand from there I had to twist her toward to bars along the wall. Wrote that on the comment card, so perhaps that improvement will be made.

Money Saving Tip:

I did some research while on board about other HH cabins and found that many have good sideways views even though they are listed as "fully obstructed".

The ones I would rule out because they had NO or VERY LITTLE view are 3300, 3301 (all the way forward)

3426, 3425 (inside an obscured glass staircase with the stair runners up against the glass)

3382,,3386,3377,3381 (more than normal blocked view)

3384,3379 (completely blocked by bulkheads)

The Best, in addition to the HCs (3430 and 3431) are 3421,3424,3422,3417,3313,3314,3315 and 3316.

HH are the cheapest outsides, but choosing the right cabin can save some money AND provide a great cruise experience.:)

More to come....are you asleep yet? LOL

I checked on other HC cabins whenever they were being cleaned. The one that really stood out and would like to have some time is D3429. It was across the hall from us and had an unobstructed window facing aft.

Our cabin steward was great and everybody working on the ship was very friendly.

Dining

Just about any food I ate was delicious....certainly ate too much!

I particularly liked the carving station in the Lido. I had planned on just eating in the Lido for Dinner, but I did get a nice table for 2 that we used 2 nights in the dining room. It was table 165 and on the lower level. The area was toward the center of the room and was raised higher so you could see out the window. I had excellent crab legs in there on the 1st formal night.

We didn't make it in there for the last formal night because I ate way too much for lunch and eating a big meal didn't sound appealing.

I asked the Lido manager the next day, if it would have been possible to get a Lobster dinner in the Lido and he said no.

The pizza and hambugers were excellent. I liked the fresh baked buns used for the hamburgers.

Well its official......no free hot chocolate on deck on Glacier Bay day on the Zaandam.

There were a lot of souvineer cups sold, so I think HAL found a good revenue generater. I even tried to get her to put it in my own cup, but no dice. So I just ordered lots of hot chocolate and a plate of cookies from room service. With our cabin on the promenade, it was easy to get a refill and get back out to see the scenery. Both room service and my room steward said it was availible on deck and they were surprised when I told them there was a charge for it. The excellent split pea soup was still free and plentiful.

Ports and Scenery

I have been to Alaska many times, so only booked one shore excursion....a rain forest hike in Ketchikan. Ironically because it was a beautiful sunny day, there were no bears to be seen. Guide said they are more likely to come out in the open when it is raining. Still a very pretty walk and it was fun feeding the reindeer and watch them munch the alder leaves we fed them.

Glacier Bay was cloudy, but no rain. Fantastic calving so everyone seemed to enjoy it! Its fun sharing the excitement with the other cruisers.

I spent most of the time there on the observation deck on veranda deck.

It used to be my "secret" deck because it couldn't be seen from the Crows Nest. Its not a secret anymore thanks to SOE improvements that now make this deck clearly visible from the gym. Still, it was less crowded and a better view than from the bow. A few people called from the bow below us for directions on how to get there. :)

I got off in all the ports. In Juneau, I had to get some supplies for Mom and found a good supermarket and drug store just up Eagan Drive. (Look for the True Value sign and its behind there.:) ) The rain started to pour so I got pretty wet. The rainproof hooded jacket I wore worked well but my slacks and feet got soaked.....wish I brought rainpants....or at least had my parker which I left back in the cabin.:rolleyes: From what I heard, people had better weather on their excursions further inland.

Music and Entertainment

The Elegance Strings were wonderful. I loved taking my Mom to the Explorers Lounge and just relaxing to the fine music.:)

"Whyte" was fantastic and loved their renditions of Beatles tunes. I had seen them on my Princess cruise, so made sure I saw them again.

The productions shows were good, but I am not sure I got the Broadway Shows that had so many non-Broadway songs. But the singing was very good so I enjoyed them.

Well, I think thats all I can think of for now. Just have to say that I enjoyed seeing Alaska again. In some ways it is more relaxing having been there a lot so I could relax and not have to hurry to an excursion.:)

Boooooo That Jerk

I really wanted to hear that the lido staff found a way to get you some lobster.

However your evenings in the Explorer does seem to make up for some shortcomings. I hope you both enjoyed them.

Boy, and getting to get off the ship at each port in alaska, I really envy you!!!!!

thanks for sharing.

Boooooo That Jerk

I really wanted to hear that the lido staff found a way to get you some lobster.

However your evenings in the Explorer does seem to make up for some shortcomings. I hope you both enjoyed them.

Boy, and getting to get off the ship at each port in alaska, I really envy you!!!!!

thanks for sharing.

If I were hungry enough that night, I probably could have worked to get Lobster in the Lido. Just too full of food already, so didn't bother.:)

Sean,

Looking forward to the rest of your "saga" :) Being a newbie here I find your posts enjoyable and well presented. I can appreciate all the effort you put into caring for your Mom and making her a part of your life's adventures...The Almighty Creator has a special place for you! Write on.....

Thanks Namvet......you have a way of making me choke up.....your support (and others on this board) and kind words means more than you can ever know.

It was nice to read your report, Sean, after all the anticipation leading up to your cruise. Glad you and Mom had a nice time.

Ah, yes. The famous Alaska "liquid sunshine" :rolleyes: in Juneau. But Ketchikan sunny? Wonder of wonders.

Do you happen to remember who was playing in the Piano Lounge, and whether or not he's still going to be there when the Zaandam heads to Hawaii? And how he was? Anything you can tell me will help with my own anticipation. :)

Thanks!

It was nice to read your report, Sean, after all the anticipation leading up to your cruise. Glad you and Mom had a nice time.

Ah, yes. The famous Alaska "liquid sunshine" :rolleyes: in Juneau. But Ketchikan sunny? Wonder of wonders.

Do you happen to remember who was playing in the Piano Lounge, and whether or not he's still going to be there when the Zaandam heads to Hawaii? And how he was? Anything you can tell me will help with my own anticipation. :)

Thanks!

His name was "Tommy". I didn't spend much time there, but he always smiled and nodded to us whenever Mom and I came by :) .

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your posts, Sean. I enjoyed reading them and I'm really happy you and Mom had a good cruise.

Really happy the cabin worked out well for you. I know the anxiety you had just before your cruise.

Welcome back.

The Elegance Strings were wonderful. I loved taking my Mom to the Explorers Lounge and just relaxing to the fine music.:)

"Whyte" was fantastic and loved their renditions of Beatles tunes. I had seen them on my Princess cruise, so made sure I saw them again.

The productions shows were good, but I am not sure I got the Broadway Shows that had so many non-Broadway songs. But the singing was very good so I enjoyed them.

:)

Sean:

Thanks for your review, and thanks also for giving us the "official" report on the hot chocolate situation in Glacier Bay!

We have similar tastes when it comes to the entertainment!

I'm very happy to hear that "Whyte" is back on board. Their contract had finished the day we disembarked, and our cruise director, Carey Bolton, told us they were headed back to England. I guess they just started a brand new contract, then, after a little respite back home. They were our favorite show when we were on Zaandam, as well.:) They were great!

I also agree with you about the Elegance Strings. We went to listen to them almost every evening in the Explorer's Lounge. We also thought the Zaandam singers were very good.

Did your mom have a good time?

Karin

Karin,

My Mom has dementia so it is hard to ascertain how exactly she felt, but she seems to be riveted to the sounds of the Elegance Strings.:)

Music has always moved her and it still does. Plus she is always happy to have me around :).

Sean:

How was your mom when you got off the ship at the different ports? I am very impressed by the level of care and concern you show for her.

Karin

Sean:

How was your mom when you got off the ship at the different ports? I am very impressed by the level of care and concern you show for her.

Karin

Karin,

She is fine for short periods of time. She is not capable of getting into "trouble". I usually just left the classic movie channel on for her and notified the cabin steward when I left. She was always just as I left her when I got back, so I was pretty comfortable with it.

Sean - You're amazing. I'm so glad that even tho your Mom has some serious health issues that doesn't stop the 2 of you from travelling & enjoying the world. You also get some time to yourself. That's wonderful.

I have an aunt with a couple of health issues that don't come close to your Mom's & my cousin who's my age who won't travel. They'd rather just sit & complain. About everything. :confused:

You're an inspiration. :)

Sean - You're amazing. I'm so glad that even tho your Mom has some serious health issues that doesn't stop the 2 of you from travelling & enjoying the world. You also get some time to yourself. That's wonderful.

I have an aunt with a couple of health issues that don't come close to your Mom's & my cousin who's my age who won't travel. They'd rather just sit & complain. About everything. :confused:

You're an inspiration. :)

Thanks, Susan

My Mom is such a sweetie and a happy person she is a joy to take care of. The physical part is the hardest, especially on my back. Its all worth it to have her with me and not in the care of strangers.

• 1 year later...

Archived