Spirit Class Cabin 4241 AFT Balcony Cabin Review

Wennfred

I now know who one of my neighbors will be. I'm in 4237! Nice to meet you. Hope to meet you in person on board. We've been on Spirit twice before. When we did Alaska, we had the wraparound on the next deck up, I think 5295? From what I've been reading, 4237 has the nice big overhang. For Alaska, it was nice having the sun to keep us warm. It did rain a couple of times, buy never for very long. It certainly was an awesome place to view the scenery, especially in the inside passage. I was worried that it would be too warm to do Mexico, but everyone has assured me that the overhang really helps. See you in Jan.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Here's an update - I changed my cabin to opposite of you, 4228 Aft wrap suite (just like yours).

I gave 4239 (adjoining you) to my cousin, Victoria and a friend of the family, Janice. So now we know who's in 3 of 6 cabins in the aft neighborhood !!

We'll definitely have to meet up - I'm looking forward to a great time.

My mom will be on board as well, but she's not be assigned a cabin #. She's part of a large group from the Las Vegas Hilton Player's Club. This is their annual "comped" cruise.

How in the world did you ever get moved to 4228 this late in the game? We just booked our cabin (4237) about 2 months ago and I was so surprised to see it still on the list of open cabins. You must know someone;) . Sounds like our cruise is going to be lots of fun. I'm sure your cousin will be a good neighbor. I don't think anyone will hear a peep out of us next door. No grandkids with us on this trip. Hope to see all of you on board.

Cheryl

Cherlynn, come on over and join our roll call for the Spirit! Scott posted once or twice already, he needs to come back, too! We only have about 5 of us that have been trying to think of things to post about for months, we need new people to talk to. We're starting to fight amongst ourselves now. :D:D

We'd love to hear what you're planning in the ports and if you've been on the ship before, and anything else you want to talk about! If I sound like I'm begging.....I AM! ;)

Oh, it might help if I included the link to it, huh? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=473723&page=88

• 4 months later...
The pictures and description of this cabin was on the Carnival Pride but its pretty much the same cabin on all Spirit class ships.

This is the first time we booked an Aft Balcony cabin, Cat 8C and its also the first time we had a 3rd person with us in a cabin. This cabin is a standard sized balcony cabin but with a very small balcony deck. This is one is located behind the flag pole on deck 4.

The sofa is converted into a bed for our Sister in-law. She slept well on it every night. There was still a lot of space under the bed for all of our luggage, we took 4 luggage pieces with us.

The Aft Cabins tend to stay warm. I was told this by another person that had one and its true. I would say average room temp 76 to 78 degrees. No need for covers at night.

There is an over hang above of the balcony but there is still a lot of sun light that comes in for suntaning, also there is no wind in this balcony since its directly behind the ship.

This cabin has a full fridge with Sodas, Water, Beer and Liquors. This cabin also has a Blow Dryer and a Safe that you can swipe a credit card or any card with a magnetic strip to open and close it.

A remote controlled T.V. but no VCR or DVD players.

We had 2 full size beds that were pushed together, you couldn't feel the line or separation in the middle of the bed. It also had the New Carnival Bedding system, Shaylas sofa bed had the sheets and pillows but not the new comforter.

The bathroom was normal size for this type of cabin and the with the same amounts of cabinets to put our stuff away in. There are 3 closets which I just had Wendy and Shayla use to hang their dresses and stow their 20 or so sets of shoes. I just lived out of my Suit Case, when I needed something I would just pull it from under the bed.

In all, not a bad cabin for 3 people. It didn't seem cramp and we had enough room to walk around each other. I moved the coffee table next to the balcony door to make more room, that helped a lot. There were no weird odors from this cabin and it was maintained very well and kept cleaned every day.

Since its an Aft Cabin, as you will see from the pictures below, you will see the white foamy water as the props pushes the ship through the water, from deck 4 you can hear a loud but soothing sound like a waterfall crashing against the rocks. You can sit out there and just fall asleep from that sound. But when you close the balcony door you can not hear a thing from inside, these doors are sealed pretty tight.

If we have a 3rd person with us again, I will try to book a Cat.9a just to have a little more space.

One plus about this specific cabin, there is a laundry room right across from it with an iron and board, one washer and 2 dryers.

Fred

IMG_9851_800x533.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Wennfred. I cant believe that I am seeing pictures of this cabin. I booked it for next February, and my bro-in-law and sis-in-law is in the next one. We plan on taking off the balcony dividers. We will also be three in this cabin. For our last two cruises, our now 15 year old was in another cabin. Poor thing, now he has to be with mom and dad. Dont you just feel sorry for him!

Believe me, we don't! :D

This is my first totally aft balcony. Never wanted to try one before. Choose this level because I was told it had more shade. I love being outside, in the shade. I really get enough sun on a cruise when I am in the water or at the beach, so was willing to try it. I am concerned about the temperature at night time. You said it was about 76, I belive. I hope since I am going in February it will be cooler.

Any hints for this cabin?

How in the world did you ever get moved to 4228 this late in the game? We just booked our cabin (4237) about 2 months ago and I was so surprised to see it still on the list of open cabins. You must know someone;) . Sounds like our cruise is going to be lots of fun. I'm sure your cousin will be a good neighbor. I don't think anyone will hear a peep out of us next door. No grandkids with us on this trip. Hope to see all of you on board.

Cheryl[/quote

Looking for pics of this cabin if you have them, and/or you check back in. How did you like it? Was it really that loud outside? I am a little concerned because I get a little creeped out by that sound of the props in the water, but this (4237) is the only one I could get out of 4,5 or 6. I have read not to get higher than 6. Also, was the wrap cabin you had on deck 5 that much different? I read that the layout of the room was different. Was it smaller? I hope you are still out there somewhere reading. :)

Thank you for your help.

Price was reduced on my Miracle sailing, balcony guarantee (BL) cabin yesterday so I called for an adj. and then checked the prices again today and the cabin had gone down in price again, $100 since yesterday AND came with a free upgrade to 8C AND cabin 5270 was available!

The balcony pictures look big to me!

When we sailed the Legend I used the deck 5 aft laundry and it was always deserted - now it will be across from my room!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Cabin 4241 has the flagpool just to your right when looking out on the balcony. Any problems with noise as it flaps? Does it block your views? Is it up all the time? Thanks

Flags are only flown in ports not while out at sea.

Fred

choozin' cruzin'

Looking for pics of this cabin if you have them, and/or you check back in. How did you like it? Was it really that loud outside? I am a little concerned because I get a little creeped out by that sound of the props in the water, but this (4237) is the only one I could get out of 4,5 or 6. I have read not to get higher than 6. Also, was the wrap cabin you had on deck 5 that much different? I read that the layout of the room was different. Was it smaller? I hope you are still out there somewhere reading.

I'm still here :D ! 4237 was awesome. I would get it again in a heartbeat if it were open. Especially if you're having a group get together with any Cruise Critic people or doing a cabin crawl or both. We did both and met some really great people. In fact we're crusing with 3 of them this Jan to the Caribbean! Send me an email and I'll mail pictures back. Sorry, that's the only way I know how to do it :p ! It was really quiet, no noise from above. They only noise problem is that is above the main dining room and there's a door that the waiters go in and out of to have a smoke. I'm assuming this is pretty much the same on all of the ships in this class. We love aft cabins, so we like the prop sound. I really wouldn't call it noise. Yes, the cabin we had on Deck 5 was quite a bit different. There is only one room plus the bathroom. It is smaller and can only sleep 2. Because of the layout of the room, the sofa cannot be folded out. It has the same huge balcony, except that there is only about a 2 foot overhand for shade instead of being covered like Deck 4. But we were on Deck 5 for Alaska and it was perfect.

Any other questions, please ask. My email is: chernkerm@sbcglobal.net

Cheryl

I am very new to Cruise Critic and the boards (2 days I think :o) so I have lots of questions and need lots of help. I have only been researching and reading and am now ready for my first question. (First of what I am sure will turn into LOTS.)

We are booking our first longer cruise and are just now shopping around. I am currently looking at the Carnival Spirit, Alaska Southbound for August 2009. I am wanting a portside, aft, balcony cabin for the view but was wondering which deck would be best. I have seen comments on both 4 and 5. Cabins 4228 vs 5266. I see positive comments on both but would love a real breakdown of the difference, if there is one. Other then what seems to be noise from the dinning room staff for cabin 4228.

Thank you for your help. Randi

I am very new to Cruise Critic and the boards (2 days I think :o) so I have lots of questions and need lots of help. I have only been researching and reading and am now ready for my first question. (First of what I am sure will turn into LOTS.)

We are booking our first longer cruise and are just now shopping around. I am currently looking at the Carnival Spirit, Alaska Southbound for August 2009. I am wanting a portside, aft, balcony cabin for the view but was wondering which deck would be best. I have seen comments on both 4 and 5. Cabins 4228 vs 5266. I see positive comments on both but would love a real breakdown of the difference, if there is one. Other then what seems to be noise from the dinning room staff for cabin 4228.

Thank you for your help. Randi

Had that cabin for our Alaska SB route in Aug 2007. Loved it. 3 separate rooms, walk in closet and bigger balcony overhang that other decks so nice if weather is not so great. Wonderful to view the beauty of Alaska from there. Also, request a dining table aft lower level at the windows. Its light so late you can enjoy seeing things while dining.

We had 5466 on our Mexican sailing this past April and wasn't impressed with it at all. 1 room with the sofa in the far corner of the cabin past the bed. Regular closet. It should be sold as a 9A rather than 11 IMHO.

Had that cabin for our Alaska SB route in Aug 2007. Loved it. 3 separate rooms, walk in closet and bigger balcony overhang that other decks so nice if weather is not so great. Wonderful to view the beauty of Alaska from there. Also, request a dining table aft lower level at the windows. Its light so late you can enjoy seeing things while dining.

We had 5466 on our Mexican sailing this past April and wasn't impressed with it at all. 1 room with the sofa in the far corner of the cabin past the bed. Regular closet. It should be sold as a 9A rather than 11 IMHO.

Thanks Frequent Floater. Sorry, which room did you have on your Alaska SB route?

Thanks again!

Well, I had booked 5297 on Miracle, then switched to 4230 (it wasn't available when I first booked but I decided I wanted the extra overhang) and had been hunting for photos. Glad someone resurrected this thread.

At least Miracle has the blue cloth/aluminum frame furniture on the balconies now.

Other pics I've seen of the aft Deck 4 cabins makes the balcony look rather deeper than what we had in 7192 (extended 60 sq ft side balcony).

Oh my Goodness! I'm so excited I found this thread!

Thank you sooo much Wennfred for the posting!!

We're taking a Spirit cruise in about a month & this is our room #.

Woo Hoo! Yippee Skippee! Your pictures & review are getting me even more excited about our cruise!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband, daughter (adult) and I will be on the northbound Spirit on 5/27/09 in 5299. I had to switch from 4171 because my daughter was a recent addition and aft 5299 was available so I figured what the heck.

My husband loves to do laundry almost every day (yes, you read that right) and I understand the laundry room is right across from us? Is it open 24 hours? I want to assure him he can pack lighter than the gazillion suitcases he usually brings!

My husband, daughter (adult) and I will be on the northbound Spirit on 5/27/09 in 5299. I had to switch from 4171 because my daughter was a recent addition and aft 5299 was available so I figured what the heck.

My husband loves to do laundry almost every day (yes, you read that right) and I understand the laundry room is right across from us? Is it open 24 hours? I want to assure him he can pack lighter than the gazillion suitcases he usually brings!

It seem like that laundry room was open 24/7, never did check it at night.

Fred

Across from 5270 5268 and open 24/7

Just a FYI

These wonderful aft cabins have recently been reclassified from 8C's to 8I's so it will cost more to have an aft.

I was booked and sailed on the Legend last week in 5297 Aft and a few weeks before we sailed they changed my documents to 8I. Now in looking to book our next cruise, I'm finding afts have been changed.

We also like Deck 4 better than 5 for the overhang. On Deck 5 everyone above you can look down and see you. 5 was good, but 4 is great!

Sharon

Just a FYI

These wonderful aft cabins have recently been reclassified from 8C's to 8I's so it will cost more to have an aft.

I was booked and sailed on the Legend last week in 5297 Aft and a few weeks before we sailed they changed my documents to 8I. Now in looking to book our next cruise, I'm finding afts have been changed.

We also like Deck 4 better than 5 for the overhang. On Deck 5 everyone above you can look down and see you. 5 was good, but 4 is great!

Sharon

I have never been on a spirit class ship and I am booked in 4241. I chose deck 4 because of reports that the overhang is is better on deck 4 then deck 5.

I have enjoyed reading about my room! Thanks to all of you who have been in it! Cant wait to try an aft balcony, this room, and a spirit class ship!

We are booked on the Miracle this coming January and booked cabin #4232. It originally showed up on our invoice as a Cat 8C and now it shows up as Cat 8I. What does this difference mean?? (it still shows as cabin #4232)

Aklso, our friends booked the cabin right next to us - will they open the divider for us and can we fit longer lounge chairs out there ??

Thanks in advance for your help!

The difference in 8C and 8I is price. If you were booking now, an 8I costs more than an 8C. Also if you are now looking for price drops to get OBC, you have to use the 8I price which will most likely always be more than you paid.

We had 4230 last year on the Miracle. You will love the location. Not sure about the balcony divider since we traveled alone but I do think they can be opened.

Sharon

Archived