Noordam Dress Code ?

Jimjam

On a 10 day cruise, how many formal, semi-formal & casual evenings are there?? Many cruise lines have eliminated the semi-formal in favor of just two or three formal and the rest "smart casual" The smart casual was just button down sport shirt with slacks and jacket optional. Thanks.

On 10 day cruises, there are usually 3 formal, 2 semi formal and the rest casual.

Most interpret "casual" as your "smart casual", but you will see very few jackets on a casual night, maybe even none. Many men wear a golf/polo type shirts on casual night.

We're just off hte Noordam Sep.8 sailing. We had 2 formal nights, 2 informal, 1 informal with formal optional, and the rest casual. I had planned for 3 formal nights and, since I made the outfit and packed, I was going to wear it. Hope this helps.

Hi Jimjam,

The information we received in our documents for our 11 Day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Noordam this Oct 14th for Dress Code is as following:

Formal Dress - 3 nights

Informal Dress - 2 nights

Casual Dress - 6 nights

We enjoy going by the required Dress Code each night onboard our cruises especially Holland America. Having & Seeing everyone dressed the same puts the ship into a special atmosphere all it's own. That is why we like to cruise Holland America & Cunard Line. Don't care for other lines = Free Style Cruising..

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi Jimjam,

The information we received in our documents for our 11 Day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Noordam this Oct 14th for Dress Code is as following:

Formal Dress - 3 nights

Informal Dress - 2 nights

Casual Dress - 6 nights

We enjoy going by the required Dress Code each night onboard our cruises especially Holland America. Having & Seeing everyone dressed the same puts the ship into a special atmosphere all it's own. That is why we like to cruise Holland America & Cunard Line. Don't care for other lines = Free Style Cruising..

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

ESLO is so correct. H A L is miles ahead having proper dress statutes and abiding by them.. and no I never wore a Kilt to dinner nor Bermudian shorts...

The so called FREE Style is not really free so many see it 0-0... Think what the Cruise line saves and they make people think they are actually doing them a service...

People who have cruised before 1970 know what it was like then and as well up to now esecially with the price dropping in ratio... HAL and a few more have improved the culinary graces ..but yes they had to for retention of the cruise guests..

ESLO I am so happy to see you getting ready to cruise again now and wish it was this voyage we were with all youall too and missed you on the last.

We are going again on the MS Noordam IV.(\:cool:/))

We did say a few prayers for you.. the Culinary Arts Center is where services were held.. and guess what...

There was standing room only there.. not many places can say that anymore...

• 1 month later...

I am interested to know how far the pax on the Noordam are going in their adherence to the dress code. Namely what is the % of passengers who will actually wear a tux & an Evening Gown on formal night. Although I am given to understand that HAL does go some way to enforce the code do the pax on the more recent cruises appear to be keeping the standards up?

When we were in the Mediterrean this past summer on the Noordam, there were many passengers, women in long dresses and the men in tuxes on the 3 formal nights. I would say at least 50% were appropriately dressed. There were a few not in the dining room, but most who were not were at the Lido.

The Holland America Dress Code can be found on their website:

It will also be in the "Know Before You Go" booklet that will come with your cruise documentation.

Regarding the evening Dress Code, it reads as follows:

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido Restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard. On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Call Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091, or complete the form at the back of this book. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

On a 10 day cruise you will, generally, have 3 "formal", 1 or 2 "informal", and the rest "casual."

In general you will find that the vast majority of your fellow passengers will abide by the dress code ... at least minimally. For instance, while the % of men in Tuxedos on formal nights appears to be falling somewhat (and especially-so on shorter cruiser), the % of men who fail to at least wear a jacket and tie on formal night is quite tiny (low single digits).

On the Zaandam's 15 day cruise to Hawaii in October the % of men in Tuxedos was very high indeed, and those who were not in Tuxedos were mostly attired in very nice dark suits. Only a very few people stood out like sore thumbs by not being dressed according to code. I am reminded of one fellow who wore ratty-looking tank-tops and t-shirts around the public areas even on formal nights. I made a discrete inquiry among the staff and found out that this person was, in fact, denied entrance to the main dining room on at least one formal night and that, when he attempted to enter on a casual night, he was informed that an actual shirt with sleeves (and not a t-shirt) would be required before he would be admitted to dinner. But, suffice it to say, "people" like that are the extreme exceptions that prove the rule.

In short, if you and yours want to dress in Tuxedos and gowns you will NOT feel conspicuous. :)

Would pants be acceptable for a female on formal nights if they are part of a velvet pants suit? Or paired with a dressy sheer blouse?

Depending on the pants they certainly could be. There are some very dressy "fly-away", or "car-wash" pants that are a chiffon material over a sturdier fabric.

Velvet as a fabric tends to be dressy; the styling could make a difference in that regard.

Take a look at all the clothing ads during this season. You'll see lots of things advertised for holiday parties---that's the type of dress generally worn on formal nights.

Archived