info on Mercury April Drydock is scheduled...

mlmagic

I'll believe it when I see the actual press release. We've been hearing for years the Galaxy is going in, we're still waiting.

On the positive side, there is a hole in her schedule from April 13-27

Yes Rick...That is the time I was told on the phone with the "superior" the Merc. will be in DD:)

Lysa

Right so what are we left to do? Call before hand and demand that their services be all that is advertised? or wait and hope once on board everything will be fine? I truly want to just relax about taking this cruise yet would like some assurance from X that everything will be as it should even without having been in drydock..:rolleyes:

Call and do what I did...I wanted answers to my ?? I chose X, based on what their website advertised, as I am new to X. I don't give up, till I get the answer, then I can make a correct decision!:) Best of luck, I just turned the big "40" too, welcome to the 40 club! (well...almost):D

Lysa

There were so many people at this board complaining about the beds on the Galaxy that I really was afraid to sail her. We sailed her 25 August this year and had really good beds, not thin, no pain, we slept wonderful!

Oke, the Mercury and Galaxy need some refurbishment, but we had one of our best cruises thus far. We loved the ship. I don't take the extreme things in reviews too serious.

Totally agree sheik...I wanted to get all that was advertised in those cabins, if that is what I'm paying for.:) Other than that, I know the ship will be lovely and special, they all are in their own way...

Lysa

Would love to go on Century but she isn't going where we want to go. But should we be forced to chase down the newly refurbished ships to guarantee quality standards? or should X step up and make sure all of their ships are up to standards?

DEFINATELY, up to what is advertised!

Lysa

Pooh,

What you need to do is quit reading all the reviews. You have come across good and bad reviews of the ships. Go and make up your own mind.

I have sailed on all the C class ships from X and have yet to sail on any X ship as bad as some of the reviews I've seen here.

If you go in with preconviced opinions, you may not be able to get out all that X has to offer.

I've done the same thing with cruises on Carnival, where my preconceptions have ruined a perfectly good cruise.

Mercury is my second favorite ship, go have a good time. The suites do have better bedding than the standard cabins. If there is a problem your stateroom attendant or butler will do what they can to make you comfortable.

Thanks Rick, that is the best advice...if what the website states is not there, I am sure the steward or butler will do all they can to help. I'm goin' and lookin' forward to it!!:) Lysa

Hi Fran,

On the X site, go to plan a cruise drop-down>ships>Mercury>staterooms>concierge class and it will tell you everything that the CC cat offers. It definately states all the nice bedding, pillows, duvets, etc. Cust Service yesterday told me that a SS cat, is everything a CC cat. has PLUS the butler...Hope that helps:)

Lysa

Now, I may stand to be corrected, but I don't think that the website is referring to the "new" bedding in this instance (as in the new bedding on the refurbished Century), but to existing bedding that is a level above the bedding available in standard cabins.

It seems to me, from what I've heard on these boards and from my experience on the Connie (Nov. 2005), that Concierge Class does, in fact, already have the bedding amenities that are listed on the website.

Last year in Concierge Class, we definitely had a great selection of quality pillows to choose from, and I'm pretty sure we had a duvet. I didn't take a look to see if we had a "pillow top" mattress, but it seemed to be a good mattress, just a bit firm for me, so I ordered the foam pillow crates, and we slept very comfortably.

I will be glad to see the new bedspreads and decorative accessories when we sail on the Millennium in April, but I am also sailing on the Summit in November, before the "upgrades" to the bedding. It is too bad that we are missing the pretty new bedding by a few months, but I will be happy to have a cabin that was as comfortable as the one we had last November.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise with your Mom.:)

Now, I may stand to be corrected, but I don't think that the website is referring to the "new" bedding in this instance (as in the new bedding on the refurbished Century), but to existing bedding that is a level above the bedding available in standard cabins.

It seems to me, from what I've heard on these boards and from my experience on the Connie (Nov. 2005), that Concierge Class does, in fact, already have the bedding amenities that are listed on the website.

Last year in Concierge Class, we definitely had a great selection of quality pillows to choose from, and I'm pretty sure we had a duvet. I didn't take a look to see if we had a "pillow top" mattress, but it seemed to be a good mattress, just a bit firm for me, so I ordered the foam pillow crates, and we slept very comfortably.

I will be glad to see the new bedspreads and decorative accessories when we sail on the Millennium in April, but I am also sailing on the Summit in November, before the "upgrades" to the bedding. It is too bad that we are missing the pretty new bedding by a few months, but I will be happy to have a cabin that was as comfortable as the one we had last November.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise with your Mom.:)

Thanks Elena...What brought me to this whole thread is, I had a friend that just got off the Mercury and she said the beds in the CC cat were hard and thin, she did not notice all the foo-foo stuff that is advertised in a CC cabin. So I began to ck it out. I don't want to turn this thread into a problem, yet with ALL the complaints about the bed/soft goods condition on the Mercury, I was really questioning what their website says. I will just hope for the best and hope that as it has been stated in the press, Fleetwide upgrades to be done by end of 2007, The only gap in the Mercury's schedule for 07' is April and in fact, that is when she will be in DD, (according to X) Thanks, I appreciate your help.:)

Lysa

so that I could allay your fears. I hope someone who has been on the Mercury lately can confirm or deny the existence of a duvet and speak to the quality of the mattress.

I can tell you that the egg crates make a great difference if you do not appreciate a firm mattress. :)

We did receive everything that was listed as a perk for Concierge Class...without having to ask or remind our steward. Everything listed either was in the stateroom when we arrived, or appeared when appropriate, as in the large Celebrity totebag that we made very good use of on the trip home (for all those extra purchases).

so that I could allay your fears. I hope someone who has been on the Mercury lately can confirm or deny the existence of a duvet and speak to the quality of the mattress.

I can tell you that the egg crates make a great difference if you do not appreciate a firm mattress. :)

We did receive everything that was listed as a perk for Concierge Class...without having to ask or remind our steward. Everything listed either was in the stateroom when we arrived, or appeared when appropriate, as in the large Celebrity totebag that we made very good use of on the trip home (for all those extra purchases).

Thanks elena, I just want my Mom comfortable, I do not know if we could ever do this kind of trip again with her health...I will hope for the best!

Lysa:)

I really enjoy "cruising" these boards, but I have learned to really read between the lines when it comes to reviews. I stay away from the bad ones most of the time, because I really feel that my trip has much to do with my own attitude and how I treat other people. I understand that sometimes crap happens, but if I believed everything I read, I would never sail again! It just amazes me that I can read multiple reviews of cruisers on the same ship at the same time, and they are all different. Don't get me wrong - I have been on some cruises that were not as good as others, but I still managed to have a fantastic time!

I am happy that Celebrity is working on some improvements, and while I will get to enjoy her refurbishments, I think that those who sail on her prior to her facelift will still have a great time (and a restful sleep!). The overwhelming majority of people on these boards call the Mercury one of their favorite ships. So sail away my mateys! And enjoy!~

I really enjoy "cruising" these boards, but I have learned to really read between the lines when it comes to reviews. I stay away from the bad ones most of the time, because I really feel that my trip has much to do with my own attitude and how I treat other people. I understand that sometimes crap happens, but if I believed everything I read, I would never sail again! It just amazes me that I can read multiple reviews of cruisers on the same ship at the same time, and they are all different. Don't get me wrong - I have been on some cruises that were not as good as others, but I still managed to have a fantastic time!

I am happy that Celebrity is working on some improvements, and while I will get to enjoy her refurbishments, I think that those who sail on her prior to her facelift will still have a great time (and a restful sleep!). The overwhelming majority of people on these boards call the Mercury one of their favorite ships. So sail away my mateys! And enjoy!~

Good attitude and advice marylou!! I will look forward to the same!

Lysa

Would love to go on Century but she isn't going where we want to go. But should we be forced to chase down the newly refurbished ships to guarantee quality standards? or should X step up and make sure all of their ships are up to standards?

The pictures, descriptions, and virtual tours on the Celebrity website right now are EXACTLY what I saw when sailing Mercury last week. Contrary to some reports, the bed was perfectly comfy for DH and I (didn't need any bed padding), the Sky Suite virtual tour is EXACTLY what our suite last week looked like, and didn't see any shabby carpets, drapes, bedding, linens, railings, etc.

I'm not certain where the impression came from that Mercury is not "up to standards". No, it's not brand new, but it's not a shabby relic, either.

I have taken 2 cruises on Mercury 9-2005 and 8-2006. Both times were in Concierge class. Each time I received all the amenities that were promised. Pillow choices, pillow top mattresses, champagne, fruit, appetizers at 5 PM brought to the room, etc. The ship is in good shape and I have had no complaints. We are scheduled for 2 more cruises on Mercury in 2007. It's nice to hear that the linens etc. will be new, but even if they weren't it has not stopped me from booking on Mercury again.

Hope this helps with some of your worries. Do your homework and pick your cabin carefully. Some have much larger balconies than others for the same price.

I was thrown off a horse and fractured my pelvis in three places as well as crushing a vertebre..

I found the beds in CC class to be very comfortable in my condition, with NO egg crates.

This past September I was once again on Merc, and slept like a baby.

Personally I like their bedding, and find it comfortable.

I do have a problem with some of these 'princess and the pea matresses that are four feet thick and serve no purpose other than expense and status. Most of these FooFoo mattresses are not good for your back health or your posture...sure they may be very comfortable and cushy, but in the end its your back that pays for it.

Dave:eek:

With a ship of 1800 passengers everyone will find something that they don't like at some point, however its the big picture thats important, nothing else.

The pictures, descriptions, and virtual tours on the Celebrity website right now are EXACTLY what I saw when sailing Mercury last week. Contrary to some reports, the bed was perfectly comfy for DH and I (didn't need any bed padding), the Sky Suite virtual tour is EXACTLY what our suite last week looked like, and didn't see any shabby carpets, drapes, bedding, linens, railings, etc.

I'm not certain where the impression came from that Mercury is not "up to standards". No, it's not brand new, but it's not a shabby relic, either.

Thanks so much, that is so good to hear, with all the mixed reviews on mercury, I was a little concerned. I can't wait, I know everything will be lovely!

Lysa :D

I have taken 2 cruises on Mercury 9-2005 and 8-2006. Both times were in Concierge class. Each time I received all the amenities that were promised. Pillow choices, pillow top mattresses, champagne, fruit, appetizers at 5 PM brought to the room, etc. The ship is in good shape and I have had no complaints. We are scheduled for 2 more cruises on Mercury in 2007. It's nice to hear that the linens etc. will be new, but even if they weren't it has not stopped me from booking on Mercury again.

Hope this helps with some of your worries. Do your homework and pick your cabin carefully. Some have much larger balconies than others for the same price.

Thank you for your info!:) We have a skysuite on the sky deck booked, HUGE balcony, can't wait, all will be well indeed!

Lysa

I was thrown off a horse and fractured my pelvis in three places as well as crushing a vertebre..

I found the beds in CC class to be very comfortable in my condition, with NO egg crates.

This past September I was once again on Merc, and slept like a baby.

Personally I like their bedding, and find it comfortable.

I do have a problem with some of these 'princess and the pea matresses that are four feet thick and serve no purpose other than expense and status. Most of these FooFoo mattresses are not good for your back health or your posture...sure they may be very comfortable and cushy, but in the end its your back that pays for it.

Dave:eek:

With a ship of 1800 passengers everyone will find something that they don't like at some point, however its the big picture thats important, nothing else.

Thanks Dave...Wow, if you can sleep and sleep well with those issues, I can just chill out and all will be well. No complaints! I have never had a BAD cruise experience...

Lysa:)

"With a ship of 1800 passengers everyone will find something that they don't like at some point, however its the big picture thats important, nothing else."

Dave - what a great way to look at things! In fact, I think that your quote should be the slogan for Cruise Critic...if for no other reason than to remind everyone that while we all look for advice and suggestions; for a place to vent and to share good news; a place to meet new friends and connect with old ones; and a place to get all we need to make our cruise the best ever....at then end of the day - our trip is only about what we make and do with all of the stuff life throws our way. Great perspective Dave!

Do what you love and love what you do!

Happy Sailing!

Not sure that this can be answered at this point, but does anyone know if they will be doing anything about the ventillation in the public roooms? We are scheduled for a 14 day New Zealand-Australia cruise 12/07. After doing a little 3 day Pacific Northwest cruie on Mercury last month, my brother and sister-in-law who were to sail with us have decided to cancel. Their main complaint was the amount of smoking/lack of ventillation on the ship.

Although I wasn't really bothered by it, I must admit, having the game room combined with the cigar lounge wasn't particually good planning. My sister-in-law, however, commented that having a no smoking section as part of a room where smoking is allowed is a bit like having a "no peeing section" in a swimming pool.

TIA,

Kathy

• 8 months later...
Not sure that this can be answered at this point, but does anyone know if they will be doing anything about the ventillation in the public roooms? We are scheduled for a 14 day New Zealand-Australia cruise 12/07. After doing a little 3 day Pacific Northwest cruie on Mercury last month, my brother and sister-in-law who were to sail with us have decided to cancel. Their main complaint was the amount of smoking/lack of ventillation on the ship.

Although I wasn't really bothered by it, I must admit, having the game room combined with the cigar lounge wasn't particually good planning. My sister-in-law, however, commented that having a no smoking section as part of a room where smoking is allowed is a bit like having a "no peeing section" in a swimming pool.

TIA,

Kathy

Hi Kathy. Just wanted to say hello and wish you were still going on our Mercury cruise with us, but I do understand your reasons for changing your mind.

I don't feel as though there has been a lot of information (or menus or photos) to this day about the refurbished Mercury, and I haven't seen anything posted about the ventilation in public rooms. Perhaps by bringing this to the forefront again, someone will be able to answer the question.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi Kathy. Just wanted to say hello and wish you were still going on our Mercury cruise with us, but I do understand your reasons for changing your mind.

I don't feel as though there has been a lot of information (or menus or photos) to this day about the refurbished Mercury, and I haven't seen anything posted about the ventilation in public rooms. Perhaps by bringing this to the forefront again, someone will be able to answer the question.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi,:) the ship was in drydock back in April...from 4-13 to 4-20.

I know Karyn posted when she returned from their cruise on April 27th.

I don't think any menu's changed. I sailed in March (before the drydock)

and I think it was the balconies and a lot of carpet was replaced.

I don't think menus were being changed.

She is sailing Alaska now.....hopefully some new reviews

are coming soon:D

Where would they put the specialty restaurant? Everything is so well laid out why tamper with it...also hope the T pool will not be taken out but sounds like that is a much bigger project than what is supposed to happen. New bedding will be nice & new sinks--ours was very stained last time but tell you the truth the new style bowl sinks on Century are silly---they look nice but are very splashy & not good to wash out any bathing suits etc..

Isn't Murano's near Guest Services on CENTURY? (Aft of it)?

I suppose they could do the same thing on Mercury~On the other

side of the Elevators.

But of course at this point expanding Mercury is all just

speculation. Drydock is one thing, adding a restaurant is

another.

Archived