Missed ship but RCI comes through!

janrj7

My friends missed embarkation last week on Navigator of the Seas, their very first cruise, but RCI did right by them. Thought I'd share the basics of their story:

They were flying in the day of the cruise, Saturday (I know, I know!) on flights arranged by RCI (fortunately). Their first flight segment was delayed 1 1/2 hours by fog, so when they reached Detroit, Northwest had them rescheduled on other flights that wouldn't get them to Miami until 5 pm, too late to board.

An RCI rep met them at the Miami airport, and they were put up at a 5-star hotel near the port for 2 nights. Northwest had lost their luggage, which arrived on Sunday.

Monday morning, they flew American to Montego Bay and a driver (arranged by RCI) met them at the airport and took them to Ocho Rios to a hotel.

Tuesday morning they watched NOS pull into port, boarded, and had a great time on the rest of their cruise. RCI even gave them a "generous" onboard credit. In my friends' words: "All in all, they (RCI) did right by us even though our delays were not their fault, but the fault of mother nature."

She said she hopes to cruise again, someday, and that RCI was "very helpful and accomodating."

My friend is not a CC poster, but I just thought y'all might find this interesting!

Regards

Jan

Anyone who knows my postings might guess that there is a heapin' helpin' of sarcasm when I borrow Fox News' "fair & balanced" motto, but in this case I think it is appropriate--there are often disgruntled people who have had vacations ruined by unfortunate circumstances, and many times we see folks who feel, rightly or wrongly, that a cruise line should have done more. And then there is bashing by some CCers. Here is the positive side of the story--things did not go right, but the cruise line did all they could to make the most of what was available.

Interestingly, I witnessed something a bit similar in spring 2005 on disney, when a delayed connection (curiously, also on northwest) caused some cruise-line booked pax to miss the cruise, so Disney put them up at one of the deluxe hotels on the property w/ admission tix and meals for a couple days, then flew them to St. Maarten to board for the remaining days.

I know this is not a flight/weather related, but last week on the Explorer we were pulling out of Bermuda and two girls ( late teens) came running up on the pier. We were already a hundred or so yards out. The Captain actually backed up the ship and went and got them. That is is first time I have ever seen that happen. I know it is strictly up to the Captain for something like this, but it was another thing that impressed me about this ship and its crew.

Fortunately for the friend of the original poster, the air was through RCI. We all have read postings where itwas just tossed in the pax's lap when the air was purchased on their own.

If I'm taking a cruise that leaves from a port up or down the Left Coast, I fly the day of departure. But if I have to fly a great distance, I fly the day before. Leaving from San Diego next month, Southwest has umpteen dozen flights a day to there so I'm leaving here late morning for a 7 p.m. departure.

Our very first cruise was on Explorer during the holidays in 2000. We had airfare arranged via RCI. We had heard that the entire east coast was being socked with a major blizzard and indeed upon disembarking all flights to the eastern coast out of Miami had been cancelled.

To make a long story short: RCI put us (and anyone else who also had air arranged through RCI) up at The Sofitel in Miami for as long as it was going to take to get a flight back home and all meals were included.

This could not have been any easy feat as this was on Dec. 30th. I can't imagine trying to get a room anywhere last minute on New Year's weekend.

We were so impressed we wrote a letter when we got home mentioning those at RCI who had personally helped us. Many of us stranded were unable to get a flight for several days!

RCI won us over with that gracious gesture! :)

Hi all, we flew into Houston Texas for our August cruise on Rhapsody. We arrived at Bush International airport but our luggage didn't. We could have waited for the next flight or file a report with the airline and take the shuttle to Galveston (1 1/2 hour ride). We decided to file the report and board the bus. It's a good thing we did since our luggage never arrived on the next flight!! RCCL was very nice and accommodating. My husband got a free tux rental, I received a gown (rental), shirts, laundry services, and toiletries. Formal night was the second night. We were also told we could buy what was needed until our luggage arrived. We had to buy it on our seapass and would get reinbursed. We are now waiting for the check. We didn't buy much as we were not sure if we would get our money back.

They kept us updated on the were abouts of our luggage. We finally recieved it in our stateroom on the third day of our cruise. This was the first port of call - Ocho Rios Jamacia.

Yes, we booked our air through them along with the insurance.

A nice story and a pleasure to read.

I do hope that people realize this can be the case if they purchase their own air and their own trip insurance as well.

I've read some horror stories from some here on CC, both booked with the cruiseline and separately. These people were very lucky it turned out as it did, cruiselines aren't always so accomodating.

Very nice to hear this. Folks are quick to *itch and complain when they feel that the cruise line screwed up but most won't take the time to share a story like this. Glad that they were able to catch up with the ship and had a good time.:)

Completely agree. Glad to hear of a happy ending. Hope they had a most wonderful time.

Hi all, we flew into Houston Texas for our August cruise on Rhapsody. We arrived at Bush International airport but our luggage didn't. We could have waited for the next flight or file a report with the airline and take the shuttle to Galveston (1 1/2 hour ride). We decided to file the report and board the bus. It's a good thing we did since our luggage never arrived on the next flight!! RCCL was very nice and accommodating. My husband got a free tux rental, I received a gown (rental), shirts, laundry services, and toiletries. Formal night was the second night. We were also told we could buy what was needed until our luggage arrived. We had to buy it on our seapass and would get reinbursed. We are now waiting for the check. We didn't buy much as we were not sure if we would get our money back.

They kept us updated on the were abouts of our luggage. We finally recieved it in our stateroom on the third day of our cruise. This was the first port of call - Ocho Rios Jamacia.

Yes, we booked our air through them along with the insurance.

It never ceases to amaze me how luggage somehow seems to find its owner!:)

I'm glad to hear these stories. I'm going on my first cruise in Feb and am flying out of NY the day of the cruise (teacher-can't fly out the day before). The thing I'm most worried about is the weather and getting delayed so I'm glad to hear that RCI has accommodated these people, as I did book my air through them...thats a relief to hear they helped out as much as they could! Yeah!

Leaving from San Diego next month, Southwest has umpteen dozen flights a day to there so I'm leaving here late morning for a 7 p.m. departure.

Better change that flight!

Our departure time has been changed to 3 PM!!!!

And they changed port times too. :(

On Vision last week in Alaska another passenger had his luggage delayed. Our first port was Ketchikan, AK and we all watched the plane with his luggage lands as we were sailing away :eek:

But the next morning in Skagway, it was there and he was a very happy man :D

Kudos to RCI for taking care of these folks. However, this only proves the tried and tested cruisers creed, do your own air (or pay for deviations) and always arrive at the port the day before your cruise. Not only does it make it difficult to miss the ship, but it usually gives enough extra time for that lost luggage to catch-up before you get on the ship.

Hank

Hi LL! Yes, they did have the RCL trip insurance too.

I always buy trip insurance myself, but from a third party insurer.

Hank, that's how we do it (day before or, if international, several days before) but my friends' work schedule just didn't allow that.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! I was so happy for them, that it all worked out well in spite of the weather problem. And they were both SO upbeat about it all! Just the kind of people you love to travel with, who take everything in stride. I'm hoping they'll cruise with us some time!

Regards,

Jan

Archived