Some comments from last week's cruise on Zenith

raymac46

Thanks for your honest review. My experience with the Zenith food was quite different, with the exception of the lobster which was soft, it was terrible, the waiter insisted on bringing me another, which I couldn;t eat, I was full, but I gave him an A for trying so hard to please. I was on her last January, so I cannot comment on the Bermuda runs. I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion about whatever did not live up to their expectations.

I agree! I was on the Zenith a month after you-but then I was on Mariner of the Seas, four months before my Zenith cruise- that was some really so-so food outside of Chops-so maybe the Zenith seemed great in comparrison to Mariner of the Seas?

We also had great waiters on the Zenith and our table wa notin the path of the waiter's station. i amsure tha thelped make that cruise better then Vicki's.

Vicki-I know everyone loves that chocolate souflee but I never cared for that. I will tell you what was great though. Our friends celebrated their 20th on the Zenith so we got them a cake. It was a chocolate mouse cake and was GREAT!!!!!!!! I only had a tiny taste because of my diabetes but I tell you nothing could top that and for $35 we got a cake big enough to feed 20 people and beautifully decorated-besides it tasting as good as it did! It was just a shame that we did not eat more-I am sure plenty of it was thrown away.

I thought to myself it would have been perfect for a small wedding.

Janie

I think that they are doing some cost cuts and, unfortunately, some are being felt in the kitchen. The minor menu changes I've heard about have not been all that happily rec'd. Some favorite things gone. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what my opinion is when I get on board.

Bob, that was Jeff, and he told me about meeting you. He just had no name, no town, etc, so I was lost as to who it was!:D

We are both getting back on 10/21, me for 27 nights, Jeff till December.

Thanks everyone for your Zenith comments. We'll be on her in April 2007, for our first-ever cruise. She sounds wonderful in her own special way!

Zenith is okay. Wonderful in a special way she is not. I take her a lot because she does Bermuda. I would never book Zenith to any other destination.

Thanks everyone for your Zenith comments. We'll be on her in April 2007, for our first-ever cruise. She sounds wonderful in her own special way!

Hi, I definitely agree with your comment:) I have sailed

Zenith twice and she is wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise:)

I did ask about a chocolate souffle on this cruise and the answer I received was it is requested every cruise and they could not possibly make it. My question is if it is always requested why don't they add it to the menu. Vicki

Chocolate souffle is a specialty for the specialty restaurants on the M class ships. The menus for the specialty restaurant contain dishes that are not served in the dining room. That might be one reason why they don't add it plus the difficulty of trying to prepare a couple of hundred or more at the same time.

Thanks for your comments. I too felt the food was going downhill - although it seems to have improved a little in the past year.

The food quality will vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing because the chefs change. Also, I know that when I prepare the same recipe, each time it will turn out a little different - sometimes I wonder if it is the same dish. The same will happen on the ships.

I've sailed Zenith twice and each time had a wonderful experience! :)

Each time she was below full capacity, too-- maybe due to the time of year--but both sailings had about 900 passengers(not including crew) so I do consider that as a smaller ship compared to my Voyager cruises(which were great cruises too!)

I loved being able to hop/run up a deck or 2 within minutes to get to where I wanted to go instead of zigzagging up and around or taking many more flights to get where I wanted.

Anyway, I will miss Zenith, if she is retired soon. :( I would sail her again in a minute!

Anyway, I will miss Zenith, if she is retired soon. :( I would sail her again in a minute!

I really hope she is not retired soon. As far as I'm concerned, docking in Hamilton & St George is the only way to go to see Bermuda. The West End just doesn't cut it for me.

A few people have commented about the rough ride from New York to Bermuda because of Zenith's size. However, during the seventies we sailed round trip from New York to the Caribbean in a 33,340 ton ship (approximately 25 percent smaller than Zenith) without any problems during the Northern part of that cruise in either direction. The difference is that ship was built as an ocean liner and was designed to navigate rough seas, while Zenith was built as a cruise ship.

A few people have commented about the rough ride from New York to Bermuda because of Zenith's size. However, during the seventies we sailed round trip from New York to the Caribbean in a 33,340 ton ship (approximately 25 percent smaller than Zenith) without any problems during the Northern part of that cruise in either direction. The difference is that ship was built as an ocean liner and was designed to navigate rough seas, while Zenith was built as a cruise ship.

I have to wonder if the cause of the rough seas is really because the seas were ROUGH at the time and not because of ship size or stabilizers or whatever the correct term might be.

Having been on her, the only time I experienced the rough seas syndrome is when the sea actually was ROUGH. It could just be me, but the other times when the seas were not rough, cruising her in the Atlantic was just as smooth as cruising the Voyager class in the Carribean. In fact one cruise on Explorer was very rough in the Carribean--however the sea was rough, it had nothing to do with the ship.

Also--is it rougher to pass across the ocean rather than down with it? I have no clue, but would think going across --against would be more difficult that going with--south.

Charles, sorry you don't see this special lady the way a lot of us do. Z and Horizon will always remind me of times when ships were small and personable.

Zenith is not that that small and not that personable. I have been on small and personable. My first cruise to Bermuda was on the original Pacific Princess. That was small, personable and 650 passengers. And that ship was wonderful in a special way.

This was particularly rough because we sailed through a "Northeaster". The waves were 25 feet. This was the 4th time I have been on Zenith and that last day through the Northeaster last week was the only rough ride I have had on her. That ride should be considered an exception. One of the musicians stated that his wife missed her first performence, after 12 years at sea on over 100 ships this was the first time she got sick.

I guess that is what is makes the world go round.....what

is small and special to some of us, is large and not special

to others.

Sounds like we all have to agree to disagree on the

specialness (is that a word?) and size of Zenith.

Goodness, we sail in only eight days. Can't wait. I need a vacation and don't really care where I go, or how rough the seas are. As long as I don't have to cook, clean my room, or scrub a toilet, I will be happy, happy, happy.

You said it so well!!! See you all soon!:)

Zenith is not that that small and not that personable. I have been on small and personable. My first cruise to Bermuda was on the original Pacific Princess. That was small, personable and 650 passengers. And that ship was wonderful in a special way.

Charles I too have very fond memories of my first cruise on the Sun Princess back in 1980. The ship seemed so large to me then, but what did I know it was my first time sailing. I remember my girlfriend and I even had a Bon Voyage party on the ship in those days with every person we knew. We were the lucky ones who got to stay on the ship as she sailed out to sea as the others watched with envy throwing streamers at us. Talk about a fun time. People all met each other very easily and quickly on the smaller ships and the cruise staff were everywhere.

There is something to be said for both the larger ships and for the smaller ones and many do have their favorites.

Vicki

Archived