Sovereign of the Seas

Hi,

I'm new to the Cruise Critic and hava a question. Has anyone done the 4-night Bahamas cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas? Were you happy, where was your cabin, did you like it and any other info you might have would be soooo helpful. I'm trying to make a decision as to whether to go or not. We are a family of 4 - 2 parents, 2 boys - 10 & 7. We cruised in May/June on the Disney Magic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks....

TiggerInNY

Hi,

I'm new to the Cruise Critic and hava a question. Has anyone done the 4-night Bahamas cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas? Were you happy, where was your cabin, did you like it and any other info you might have would be soooo helpful. I'm trying to make a decision as to whether to go or not. We are a family of 4 - 2 parents, 2 boys - 10 & 7. We cruised in May/June on the Disney Magic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks....

TiggerInNY

Yes.

Yes.

JS on Deck 10.

If you want one cabin for the four of you, you will need a (very small) interior cabin (119 sq ft) or (not much larger) OV cabin (122 sq ft), or a (slightly larger) SOV cabin (157 sq ft) and really really really like one another and have high levels of tolerance and patience, in which instance the boys will have pullman beds that come down out of the ceiling at night (bunk beds) over YOUR bed.

OR

a (wonderfully large) GS cabin (382 sq ft), in which case the boys will share a queen-sized sofabed. (although you can fit a rollaway in this cabin if they refuse to share a bed. YOU could share the sofabed - it's comfortable - and separate the main bed into two twins). Then you need lots of money. :)

Welcome to CC!

My family has done the Sovereign twice. Our first cruise ever was on Sovereign in summer of 03. Absolutely was HOOKED! We went to Navigator in 04 then back to SOS last April. It is a great ship, good entertainment etc. My kids were 9 and 12 at the time and had a fantastic time. We're back on NOS in three weeks cant wait. I say go for it!

Hi,

Can anyone help?

Thanks....

TiggerInNY

I'm looking at them as well. We are thinking baout a Feb07 cruise. I You may want to read the reviews on th ship. I have. I hope you get lots of replies, I need to decide and book fairly soon! When are you thinking about sailing?

Thanks guys for your replies. We were thinking about taking the Dec.4th cruise, but the only cabins available are WAY forward either #3018 or #3514. Got a great price but afraid of forward cabins and from what "first timers" said, the cabin may be too small. That's not the first time I heard that....

Thanks guys for your replies. We were thinking about taking the Dec.4th cruise, but the only cabins available are WAY forward either #3018 or #3514. Got a great price but afraid of forward cabins and from what "first timers" said, the cabin may be too small. That's not the first time I heard that....

The standard cabins on the 1988 Sovereign are small. 122 sq. ft. = 10 ft x 12 ft. That is ok for just a couple and you would have 2 boys.

What is the pricing on the various cabin types available? (3018 and 3514)

Hi,

Can anyone help?

Thanks....

TiggerInNY

I was actually on the Sovereign last week for a 4 day cruise

#7002 (cabins are pretty small)

Coco Cay was a nice relaxing beach

Dining room food and service were excellent

the pop-pass was a waste of moneyand guest relations could not care less about you...aside from that we had a great time.

I was actually on the Sovereign last week for a 4 day cruise

#7002 (cabins are pretty small)

Coco Cay was a nice relaxing beach

Dining room food and service were excellent

the pop-pass was a waste of money and guest relations could not care less about you...aside from that we had a great time.

Would you please explain what you mean by this? It would be great if other cruisers knew what your complaints and problems were.

We have just completed our 3rd Sovereign sailing and love the ship. the 4 of you in one cabin is going to be a little tight. If you cannot get a GS, go for adjoining or cabins close together. For our daughter and her friend, we usually get an outside and they have an inside across the way.

As for guest relations, I hate the generalization mentioned in an earlier post. We had several items that required attention from guest relations and all were responded to with amazing speed and with a smile.

We'll be booking the Sovereign again, as it is my wife's favorite (her first cruise was on her); and, we always enjoy the service, food and the trip.

We were in a JS, the sofa is a sleep sofa that 2 boys that age should fit on. then you can have 1 room. Or get a JS and the interior across the hall from it. You'll have to book yourself and 1 son in one room and your husband and the other son in the other room but then you can just switch Seapass cards.

I just did a b2b on the Soveriegn.........and I agree,no more than 2 to a cabin(unless its a suite).........

I thought the Crew,staff(inc the guest realations) were the best.....everyone last one of them.........

We just returned from the 4 nite Sov. last Friday. I love the ship, it was my 5th time on her. BUT cabins are super tiny!! We had 3 women in 1 cabin on Deck 8 and it WAS to crowded! To me more than 2 in one of the regular rooms is just to much!! Btw, the cabins on deck 8 were WONDERFUL!! We were in 8552 which is listed as an obstructed view but we could see out fine. You have to look down & under the life boats but we had a great view of the water & weather so that's all that mattered to us. I'd book deck 8 again in a heartbeat!

:) Do the rooms have just the 2 coaches that can be made into a queen or above the head sleepers? I'm looking at a Feb. cruise and to be honest, I can't afford to book 2 sep. rooms. How's the food? I have read reviews were folks have said the dining was not that great. I remember the monarch being awesome in 2001!

Thanks!

Only couches are in the higher price cabins.........JS and up...........the regular insides and outsides have the pull down beds.............

While the food is not 5 star,I for one,have no trouble eating any of it....:p

just returned from a 3 day on the Majesty, same cabin size as the Sovereign, had me, dw and 2 teenage girls in a regular ocean view, yes it's tight but lets face it all we did was use it to sleep and change in. we had a great time

I was on Sovereign last year on exactly this day. Wonderful ship, the kids program Adventure Ocean is superb, unfortunatly I am unable to compare it to Disney (I have never cruised with them before). As for the cabins---the are so small. I was in a 4 capacity cabin but there were just two of us (me and my dad), I can not imagine how 4 people can fit into this room and still be on speaking terms after. As for other options as of today:

It is about $100 more to get two interior rooms than 1 interior room, well worth it, and they are connecting.

For more here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19111

We were in a JS, the sofa is a sleep sofa that 2 boys that age should fit on. then you can have 1 room. Or get a JS and the interior across the hall from it. You'll have to book yourself and 1 son in one room and your husband and the other son in the other room but then you can just switch Seapass cards.
Wolf, did you actually USE the sofabed, or was it just you and SO/DH? There is NO WAY that two people, even two PREEMIES, could share that bed! :)

I think that if you plug 4 people into the RC booking website, you won't even GET a JS as an option.

I agree. We had a JS on the Sovereign last year, and I got to sleep in the sofabed. It was about the same "comfortable" as the regular beds, but not much bigger.

I know precisely how big it was (or wasn't). I asked our cabin attendant for the egg-crate topper, and she brought a twin and a double - the twin was ALMOST wide enough to cover the mattress, and the double was way too wide - it hung off!

This bed is just barely larger than a twin. Not big enough for two.

(I got it because I'm shorter than either of my "kids") :)

We were on this ship in May and we had a GS with 4 of us. Two adults and two kids 11. They shared the pull out couch it was o.k. for them they really did not complain too much about it. Since it was only 4 nites. We did try to get a JS and they are only for 3 people and under. The room with the balcony was great for us. Plenty of room for us with the larger bathroom as well. The balcony is huge and gives the room a bigger feeling. We were able to spread out and had plenty of closet space.

We just got off the Sovereign yesterday. I agree about the room size. When I learned about them on these boards I decided to book two interiors. It was about $100 or so more. I'm so glad we did. Keeping the beds apart also gives you more room. We had terrible weather and we're not able to go to CocoaCay and were late getting into Nassau. But my boys, ages 15 and 10 could have cared less. They had a ball! Loved the Ocean Adventure and teen clubs. This was a whole new experience for us. We always vacation "as a family" and usually stay together whatever we are doing. Even on Disny, my boys chose not to go to the clubs. They were 7 and 12 at the time. This trip we hardly saw the teenager except at dinner and my younger son was in his club whenever they were open. It was most relaxing for my husband and I. We laid out on deck and read our books. I'm going to write a review about our trip and will give more info, but I think you will enjoy the Sovereign very much!

Archived