Legal clarification about wine

I have read the various threads about wine being allowed or not onboard. So when I just received my cruise docs for my up coming cruise I read them carefully.

Under section 2(a)

It does mention that controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives

are not allowed (thank goodness)

It goes on to say

Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate,

While this may seem to give the Carrier blanket rights to refuse anything, it does not, They do not have the right to pick wine as inappropriate upon boarding, but still allow wine to be served on board,

Section 19 goes on to say

This Contract contains the entire agreement between Carrier and Passenger and supersedes any other agreements, written or oral, relating to the subject matter. Any waiver of any provision of this Contract must be made in writing and signed by Carrier.

That pretty much covers it.

Unless they provide passengers with written notice signed by the Carrier you can bring wine on board.

I know a law firm is willing and able to file a class action law suit to protect the language in this contract.

HI EASY!!!

Glad you read your contracts. I have been using that same argument for years but nobody wants to listen...and it is an excellent argument. That is why RCI tells you you can not bring wine onboard but when you do it is OK. Sounds like we need Yogi Berra to explain this one...LOL.

Now fasten your seat belt because you are about to hear from the "Rules and Regs Addicts" who will quote chapter and verse from the published rules of RCI which have very little to do with the actual passenger contract that you are reading from.

HEY...how about this one...somewhere in American Maritime Law there is a law that pretty much guarantees privacy/use/enjoyment of your cabin. I believe it came in around 1910 or so. We need to look that one up!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!:D

ROSS

Under section 2(a)

It does mention that controlled substances, live animals, weapons, firearms, explosives

are not allowed

I do believe Wine, as well as beer and all alcohol, is a controlled substance.:rolleyes:

Under section 2(a)

are not allowed

I do believe Wine, as well as beer and all alcohol, is a controlled substance.:rolleyes:

Beer and wine are certainly NOT controlled substances. A cop can pull you over and, if you have beer and wine in your car (that you're not currently drinking!!), that is legal. If a cop pulls you over and sees a controlled substance (cocaine, narcotics for which you cannot provide a prescription, etc.) you are BUSTED. There is a HUGE difference.

Just stick what you want into your locked luggage--they don't open it--(and they shouldn't!) If you want to lug it with you, go ahead! We don't drink such great quantities that buying it onboard will break the bank!

ROTFL, just like a broken record, you just keep repeating the same things, don't forget to say that RCL doesn't mention anywhere that you can't bring an iron! You're right about one thing, they don't open your luggage, but they will make you open it and confiscate alcohol if they see it when they x-ray the bag.

You're right about one thing, they don't open your luggage, but they will make you open it and confiscate alcohol if they see it when they x-ray the bag.

A friend of mine was on NCL's Dream out of Houston. They had packed a Coke bottle of bourbon in one suitcase and a Sprite bottle of vodka in another suitcase along with bloody mary mix. Their luggaged was "flagged" and they had to go down to the desk to open it up. They pulled out the coke bottle and asked if it was coke. They weren't liars and told them it wasn't. Then in the other suitcase they pulled out the bloody mary mix and asked if that was alcohol. They told them it wasn't. So they let them go not having seen the Sprite bottle. Her questions was "Did they think I was going to mix the bourbon with bloody mary mix?

Anyway, since I always take Dr. Pepper with me, I plan on having that along with my rye (which is never on a ship) in another bottle in the side pocket. Hopefully, if they call me down, I can truthfully say the Dr. Pepper is soda and they won't know about my bottle of "facial cleanser" in the side pocket. As for wine, I usually buy their "package" as outrageously priced as it is because it is easier than toting.

Tucker in Texas

ROTFL, just like a broken record, you just keep repeating the same things, don't forget to say that RCL doesn't mention anywhere that you can't bring an iron! You're right about one thing, they don't open your luggage, but they will make you open it and confiscate alcohol if they see it when they x-ray the bag.

any tips to keep them from detecting it on the xray machine?? =)

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.:p

My feeling is that the cruise lines can set whatever rules they want. If I don't like the rules, I don't cruise. I'm sure you could find dozens, if not hundreds of attorneys who would gladly take this on. All of that said, I have completed countless class action questionnaires relating to securities and these are generally filed when individuals lose money or are limited in some way because they of deception or malpractice. The cruiselines don't hide this rule from passengers. If you ask or read the signs at the port, you will told clearly that you cannot bring alcohol on board.

We always take a bottle or two on board, but if I'm caught and they take away my booze, c'est la vie!

A friend of mine was on NCL's Dream out of Houston. They had packed a Coke bottle of bourbon in one suitcase and a Sprite bottle of vodka in another suitcase along with bloody mary mix. Their luggaged was "flagged" and they had to go down to the desk to open it up. They pulled out the coke bottle and asked if it was coke. They weren't liars and told them it wasn't. Then in the other suitcase they pulled out the bloody mary mix and asked if that was alcohol. They told them it wasn't. So they let them go not having seen the Sprite bottle. Her questions was "Did they think I was going to mix the bourbon with bloody mary mix?

Anyway, since I always take Dr. Pepper with me, I plan on having that along with my rye (which is never on a ship) in another bottle in the side pocket. Hopefully, if they call me down, I can truthfully say the Dr. Pepper is soda and they won't know about my bottle of "facial cleanser" in the side pocket. As for wine, I usually buy their "package" as outrageously priced as it is because it is easier than toting.

Tucker in Texas

where and when do they call you down to oopen your own luggage? is this before they set sail? and where do they ask you to meet them? what if you are out walking around the ship all day the first day? how does this work.

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.:p

My feeling is that the cruise lines can set whatever rules they want. If I don't like the rules, I don't cruise. I'm sure you could find dozens, if not hundreds of attorneys who would gladly take this on. All of that said, I have completed countless class action questionnaires relating to securities and these are generally filed when individuals lose money or are limited in some way because they of deception or malpractice. The cruiselines don't hide this rule from passengers. If you ask or read the signs at the port, you will told clearly that you cannot bring alcohol on board.

We always take a bottle or two on board, but if I'm caught and they take away my booze, c'est la vie!

there hasnt been a case where someone has been thrown off the ship just for having it in their luggage, right? its just confiscated at worst, but nothing else, correct?

...Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate,

While this may seem to give the Carrier blanket rights to refuse anything, it does not, They do not have the right to pick wine as inappropriate upon boarding, but still allow wine to be served on board...

I know a law firm is willing and able to file a class action law suit to protect the language in this contract.

Get out of my courtroom! OK, I'm not a judge, but I am a lawyer. What damages are you going to assert in your class action? Let's see, the customers had to pay $100 more to drink the overpriced swill that is marked up 5x what they would have had to pay if they had carried their own on board. How much of that per passenger would be eaten up in costs of suit and legal fees? All but about $3.72 is my guess, if my credit card class action settlement checks are any indication. Hardly worth the effort.

I suppose there's also a cause of action for intentional infliction of emotional distress over the cost of the wine....:rolleyes:

Besides, you seem to be hinging your argument on the word "inappropriate." RCI can say that it's "inappropriate" to allow passengers to bring wine (or any other liquor, which you don't seem concerned about) onboard because it costs the carrier too much in lost revenue. Or because they cannot control consumption (not that they seem to, but they reserve the right to if they have a monopoly on the distribution), which could result in drunken lawyers falling overboard. Wait, some would say that's not such a bad thing...;)

Their ships, their rules. Live by them or don't, but if you don't, be prepared to get caught and surrender your contraband.

I guess I am confused about your docs. My docs for Mariner, show on page 10, no alcohol is allowed. The page is entitled Royal Caribbean Internation Alcohol Policy.

What you are referring to is on another page in my docs. It's under cruises, vacation guide page 2. My info is in the beginning of the book. It states "guest are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use."

To me, that includes wine. So, it is in writing when you get your docs. (Just in case you didn't know previously.)

Katie

That's a good one. :p Some jack-leg law firm files a class action lawsuit (remember, it has to be filed in Miami/Dade County, FL). Six years later a settlement is negotiated that gives the plaintiff lawyers a tidy fee and the plaintiffs get a coupon for a free bag of peanuts on their next cruise...

Good riddance.

LL

I do believe that somewhere in all the rhetoric and legal mumbo jumbo, there is a stipulation that specifically states that if you bring wine on board they will charge you an $8.00 "corkage charge" per bottle. I drink beer, so it would involve a rather large oddly shaped suit case for me. LOL. Bottom line? There have been numerous boards and countless threads about this. Take your chances if you wish. Just bear in mind, if you do get wine legallized to be brought onboard, they will make up the lost revenue some other way. IMHO

That's a good one. :p Some jack-leg law firm files a class action lawsuit (remember, it has to be filed in Miami/Dade County, FL). Six years later a settlement is negotiated that gives the plaintiff lawyers a tidy fee and the plaintiffs get a coupon for a free bag of peanuts on their next cruise...

Good riddance.

LL

Hey, they never had bags of peanuts on any of MY cruises, LL!

I'm gonna sue! ;)

I do believe that somewhere in all the rhetoric and legal mumbo jumbo, there is a stipulation that specifically states that if you bring wine on board they will charge you an $8.00 "corkage charge" per bottle. I drink beer, so it would involve a rather large oddly shaped suit case for me. LOL. Bottom line? There have been numerous boards and countless threads about this. Take your chances if you wish. Just bear in mind, if you do get wine legallized to be brought onboard, they will make up the lost revenue some other way. IMHO

1. People are reporting that that line is now gone from documents.

2. The last few times I sailed, the fee was $12. Hasn't been $8 in EONS.

critterchick,

I was reading this post and sipping on a nice glass of red wine when I came to your post. Just the thought of drunken attorneys going overboard gave me a momentary feeling of euphoria (sp?). LOL. I am a developer in St Louis and have probably spent more money on attorneys than putting my kids through college. However, we still love you guys.

Mike

critterchick,

I was reading this post and sipping on a nice glass of red wine when I came to your post. Just the thought of drunken attorneys going overboard gave me a momentary feeling of euphoria (sp?). LOL. I am a developer in St Louis and have probably spent more money on attorneys than putting my kids through college. However, we still love you guys.

Mike

Mike, I hope you didn't spill any of the aforesaid red wine!:eek: I believe there's a Missouri statute that would put you behind bars for that!:D

critterchick,

Mike

I heard that!!! Jean, do we need to make a trip up to St. Louis to beat him up. Or maybe we can get him in a dark corner on a cruise some day?;)

Hey, Mike but if the drunken attorneys went overboard they would still have friends willing to take up the case for their estate.:D

Archived