At $100/day PP...isn't cruising the best vacation value?

cruiserforlife

We are booked on the Dawn for the 12/1 Mexican Riviera 11-nighter (balcony room) and after shipboard credit,our final per-person cost is just $100.24/pp.We usually average between $100-$125/day pp.

Now I ask you...where on earth can you get a great room (this one with a view),eat 24/7,see Broadway quality shows and entertainment and wake up in a different port everyday...all for just $100 a day...?:rolleyes:

Isn't cruising great?:D ;)

We are booked on the Dawn for the 12/1 Mexican Riviera 11-nighter (balcony room) and after shipboard credit,our final per-person cost is just $100.24/pp.We usually average between $100-$125/day pp.

Now I ask you...where on earth can you get a great room (this one with a view),eat 24/7,see Broadway quality shows and entertainment and wake up in a different port everyday...all for just $100 a day...?:rolleyes:

I agree and it was even better when we paid 60.00 pp per day for that cruise in May.

For 11 nights...?:eek: $660 for the whole cruise...no way!

Well, yeah, actually...we're booked for the 1/25 sailing, inside cabin on Aloha deck for $664, with a $100 OBC thrown in for good measure.

That having been said, last year I visited Ecuador for a few weeks, and stayed in a great eco-resort on the beach, another one high in the Andes, a third on a tributary of the Amazon, hiked around two of the world's highest volcanoes, explored a Galapagos-like island, took one of the world's most famous train trips, explored colonial cities, etc. Arranged it all myself, and averaged out to less than $60 a day pp for sure. (Airfare was frequent-fliered, too.) Now, I know that most cruisers wouldn't want to travel like that...but - and I am looking forward to the cruise, no doubt about it - when I look back on my life, I'm betting that a week in the rainforest will seem at least as great a value (and experience) as the Dawn Princess.

Different, as they say, strokes...

I agree and it was even better when we paid 60.00 pp per day for that cruise in May.

My, what an ugly post. Shall we whip out our manhood next and see who's is longer? :rolleyes:

As for the OP, yeah, the price per day can't be beat compared to a typical vacation. Non-cruisers are always so surprised when I mention the costs plus what you get. I think my favorite thing about cruises, though, is the fact that I can walk from my bed to so many different experiences and sights. :D

Jape

I agree. We're booked in our first mini-suite on the new Emerald Princess 10 Night Southern Caribbean in Oct 07. With our $300 OBC, we are only paying $140 each per day. My DW thinks I booked a regular balcony. It's going to be hard to keep it from her for over 340 days.

Of course it wont' be as big a surprise as last year when she won an upgrade during our first night on RCCL Explorer of the Seas from an inside cabin to a Grand Suite.

Other than the Wake up in a different port everyday, it can easily be done on an All Inclusive. We paid $3,000 Cdn (for two) for 14 days in an ocean view suite with drinks. And it really was a 5 star, rooms twice the size of a cabin and far more restaurants to choose from as it was affiliated with other sister resorts.

I will tell you I think cruising is a great value. I'm booked on an 11 day cruise with an ocean view cabin, plus non stop air, plus one night hotel here @ home ( we live too far from the airport to go the day of since we have an early flight, the one night's hotel bill encluded room, breakfast, shuttle to and from the airport and parking for two weeks cost $110.00). I can't even park at the airport for that price. Anyway also got two night hotel pre cruise in San Juan total $106.54 per person per day!

Before I booked this cruise I checked an all inclusive. Best I could do was in the range of $3,500.00 before air!

I do try to find all the bargains I can!

It is actually $220. per day. You cannot buy 1/2 stateroom and the tips are $10per a day. I think it can be a good deal if your don't require expensive airfare. IF you do, all inclusives can actually be the BEST deal-particularly if you book and leave from a city in Canada (all inclusives are for some reason cheaper when booked/depart from Canada). We like cruising but we do many other types of vacations. We tend to discount the entertainments. Our experience is that we would not pay go to them in a theatre on land if we were not 'captive' so to speak.

Don't care what it costs! If we can afford it....the itnerary is what we find exciting...the timing works for us...we go!

If I cared what it cost I wouldn't go!:D

If we get a bonus...upgrade...OBC...free excursion...etc. then that just makes it a little better.

Tom&Deb:)

Totally agree......especially when we travelled to Tahiti where dinner ashore would cost that much PP.....:)

Some very eye-opening responses to say the least..I'm guessing all-inclusive's are the hot ticket nowadays but the only problem there is...I ABSOLUTELY HATE TO FLY and the older I get the worse it gets...:eek:

The beauty of this cruise is we depart & return in nearby SF so a quick ride by my brother-in-law (heck...I'll pay for gas:D ) solves that rather cheaply.We'll get our freebie mini-bar set-up and we'll bring several bottles to keep our costs down somewhat...we always manage a healthy bar bill...so please no lectures about stealing revenue.We do have $75/pp OBC which I have factored in.

All in all for someone who wants to see the world (or at least MR) and doesn't want to fly...no way cruising isn't the greatest value dollar for dollar.And anytime you can book a balcony for $100/pp I see that as a killer deal.;) Glad many agreed.

Even better when I paid $49.00 per person per day currently on the Golden Princess to do a Med cruise and also an Egypt cruise!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I really want to know how you "win" an upgrade from inside to a GRAND! That must be like winning the lottery!!! Congratulations!!!

We heard that the grand prize at bingo that evening would be an upgrade to a Grand Suite. My DW said she wanted to win that. I couldn't believe it when she did. That was the first time we had played bingo on a cruise since she won a jackpot on one in 1998.

Okay, the best vacation value is a trip to Las Vegas where you get full RFB comps including the top-line restaurants, stay in a nice suite, and come home with more money than you started with.

But cruising is nice, too. :)

Discussion of prices is gauche, and silly anway since we might be comparing last-minute specials, interline rates, and other promos not avialable to the majority of cruise passengers.

I am all about the most for the money. I LOVE searching around & finding a great deal! We book the cheapest cabin so we can drink/gamble/etc. on board w/o worrying about the final tab.

First cruise was $128pp RT air and $500pp inside, but upgraded to outside. Got a free bottle of wine, free photo, coupon book, some credit, and won a tote w/ champagne! And DH LOVES the unpacking once for a week!

BUT best deal EVER was my folks cruise on 9/16/01--yes, Sunday after 9/11.

Well, that cruise was whatever they paid originally...BUT when they reached Hawaii they were supposed to fly home. Because NO ONE was in Hawaii (not many interested in flying at that time!), they offered them a deal at only $50 pp/day to stay on the ship. Good deal. BUT if they had a 3rd/4th passenger, they could get that same price to stay in the NICEST (well, 2nd nicest) suite on the ship--w/ all amenities!!!! WOW! So they did take that wonderful deal for 10 more days, and SHOULD HAVE for 14 more days through Panama...but Mom felt she was sick of cruise food(eat basics!) after 3 weeks (and wearing the same clothes..MOM, THEY HAVE CLEANING & LAUNDRY SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!) They SO regret not doing it now...especially since they have just booked a 10 day Panama for $1600pp!

I was SO jealous!

We were married in Vegas, and always thought it to be a good deal. Well, our tastes have gotten more expensive, and we don't even seem to be able to win a hand of blackjack anymore...We spent as much in 4 days in Vegas as we do for a WEEK on a cruise!!!!!!!!! Guess you know how we will be vacationing from now on!

Happy cruising!

Kris

Okay, the best vacation value is a trip to Las Vegas where you get full RFB comps including the top-line restaurants, stay in a nice suite, and come home with more money than you started with.

But cruising is nice, too. :)

Discussion of prices is gauche, and silly anway since we might be comparing last-minute specials, interline rates, and other promos not avialable to the majority of cruise passengers.

You are right . We only book flash promotions now . However you need to be flexible and go sort of last minute .

What if you lose in Las Vegas ?????

Archived