Ft. Lauderdale Disembarkation

We are going on the Radiance on 3/31 to 4/8. We have an 11:00 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are Diamond Members and will be probably be off in one of the first calls through Customs. I have seen where disembarkation has not begun sometimes until after 9 AM. Has any one been through Ft. Lauderdale lately and could they let me know what time disembarkation started. Thanks.

Last month we were on the repo Radiance cruise...........we are Diamond and were not called off the ship until around 9:10am.........don't know if this was a one time deal or not.........11am might be pushing it.

Just got off Radiance in Fort Lauderdale Nov 19. It was sloooow, the longest disembarkation of any cruise we have taken. The ship actually arrived at 5:30AM in the morning, but the officials who release the ship for unloading passengers never came until around nine, so everyone had to sit and sit.

We drive to the port so we were among the very last to leave, but you do fill out a paper early in the cruise listing your flight and time of dpearture, so if you have an early flight that will bump you up in the groups who leave first. Also, the airport is quite close to the port. That is another help.

One choice you have is "self-disembarkation." If you are willing and able to handle all your luggage yourself, you can sign up for self-disembarkation and you will be the FIRST to leave. This option has become increasingly popular and now so many passengers try this option that it can be quite slow because of the sheer numbers...which then slows everyone else.

We just got off Radiance in Port Everglades this past Saturday, 11/25. The disembarkation was definitely delayed and proceeded slowly as compared to our other RCI sailings (including Radiance in Alaska). First call for independents/walk-offs was probably 8:30 am. First call for those with luggage wasn't until after 9 am. We didn't get called until 10:15 am but made our 11:25 am flight out of FLL with no hassles, problems or stress. If you are Diamond, even in the worst case, you should make your 11 am flight with no problem. I would not hesitate to book another pre-noon flight again whenever sailing out of Port Everglades.

Off the CB at 8:40, at the airport by 9:05 for our flight at 10:40. Anything is possible, but 11:00 is very doable.

I agree. We did self disembarkation off E in October starting around 830a. Plenty of taxis were available, and I easily made a 930a flight.

Off the CB at 8:40, at the airport by 9:05 for our flight at 10:40. Anything is possible, but 11:00 is very doable.

But if the OP's ship is delayed for any reason then 11:00 a.m. is very undoable.

If you book before the time recommended by your cruise line then you are risking missing your flight and extra capacity out of FLL on the days that cruise ships return is very limited, so you might spend an extra day there.

i'm not familiar with the independent walk off. how do you go about being in that catagory? do you hold on to your luggage instead of putting it out the night before?

Yes, you don't put it out the night before but carry it off yourself in the morning. If you pack light it can be done.

But if the OP's ship is delayed for any reason then 11:00 a.m. is very undoable.

If you book before the time recommended by your cruise line then you are risking missing your flight and extra capacity out of FLL on the days that cruise ships return is very limited, so you might spend an extra day there.

The odds of disembarkation starting past 10 am are so slim these days that IMO it's definitely worth booking the mid to late morning flights home rather than "playing it safe" and wasting all those hours at the airport. As I posted earlier, on our sailing last week, the Radiance was delayed disembarking and I still would've made an 11 am flight!

If there's any problem having the ship cleared or a special inspection it may not work out--guess it is a chance some are willing to take--we only get one flight choice so we have to sit at the airport anyhow--the time goes by if you have a good book to read! Good luck!

Archived