Beware, suitcase robbed

mcsea

My suitcase was robbed/pilfered through on american airlines flight san juan to tampa post cruise december 2nd

We utilized the american airlines direct luggage check offered through

the ship. My suitcase came off the ship with no problems. I know this

because I added my cosmetics and toiletry bag to my suitcase in the terminal after collecting it under the designated color. We then applied

cable ties to each piece of luggage, cleared customs and proceded to drop

the bags at the american airlines counter just off the ship. When my bags

arrived in tampa. The cable tie had been removed off one bag. assumming TSA had inspected the bag we thought nothing of it. ON arriving home we noted the contents of the bag in shambles. cosmetics dumped out. clothing stuffed back in . Having traveled the world and had

my suitcase inspected many , many times by TSA. I knew they leave the contents realatively undisturbed and always leave a paper inside indicating

an inspection occurred. There was no such paper inside my suitcase.

Ironically and kind of humorously the stolen goods were four Rum cakes

from a package of eight!!! Hungry theif I guess.

I have contacted the airline for followthrough and feel fortunate

nothing important was taken . However wanted others to be aware

and perhaps use TSA approved locks. I know I will be doing that in the future.

My suitcase was robbed/pilfered through on american airlines flight san juan to tampa post cruise december 2nd

We utilized the american airlines direct luggage check offered through

the ship. My suitcase came off the ship with no problems. I know this

because I added my cosmetics and toiletry bag to my suitcase in the terminal after collecting it under the designated color. We then applied

cable ties to each piece of luggage, cleared customs and proceded to drop

the bags at the american airlines counter just off the ship. When my bags

arrived in tampa. The cable tie had been removed off one bag. assumming TSA had inspected the bag we thought nothing of it. ON arriving home we noted the contents of the bag in shambles. cosmetics dumped out. clothing stuffed back in . Having traveled the world and had

my suitcase inspected many , many times by TSA. I knew they leave the contents realatively undisturbed and always leave a paper inside indicating

an inspection occurred. There was no such paper inside my suitcase.

Ironically and kind of humorously the stolen goods were four Rum cakes

from a package of eight!!! Hungry theif I guess.

I have contacted the airline for followthrough and feel fortunate

nothing important was taken . However wanted others to be aware

and perhaps use TSA approved locks. I know I will be doing that in the future.

A TSA lock would have been much more of a deterrent than a piece of plastic. I could never understand why some think fastening plastic ties secures their bag. The thief most likely would have moved on to an easier target. Sorry you learned the hard way.

Last time we used TSA locks, TSA cut them off and tossed them out. Didn't want to take the time to get the key, I guess. We're going back to cable ties, and risking the consequences!

Jodi

Heard of this happenning, but it's not the rule. How do you know who cut them off?

This really concerns me. I, too, have had things stolen out of my checked luggage. We go through so much security to check luggage and board flights, but then, the airport employees steal things from us. We are not allowed to lock luggage, so the dishonest employees take our things. Someone needs to be watching the store, behind the scenes. It scares me. Airport employees take things out. Who will make certain that they don't put things in?

There was an inspection note in the bag.

We know a cable tie doesn't "secure" the bag, since anyone can cut it off, but we've never come up with anything missing, either, and 9 time out of 10, we're not inspected - its our original cable tie in place when we get the bag back. We use neon colored ties, so we know they're ours.

Jodi

This really concerns me. I, too, have had things stolen out of my checked luggage. We go through so much security to check luggage and board flights, but then, the airport employees steal things from us. We are not allowed to lock luggage, so the dishonest employees take our things. Someone needs to be watching the store, behind the scenes. It scares me. Airport employees take things out. Who will make certain that they don't put things in?

You are most certainly ALLOWED to lock your luggage it just has to be with TSA approved locks which are available at Walmart, target, staples, officemax, etc. They are the biggest deterent.

Sue

We have had things stolen from our luggage in San Juan also. I believe, though I could never prove it, is that TSA is the one doing it. My fathers friend, who didn't lock her suitcase, wasn't on AA, had all her shoes stolen. They were in the suitcase when she left the cruise as she added something to the suitcase after going thru customs. She wears a size 5 shoe and I guess it's popular to steal shoes in the Caribbean and sell them. (I got that info from another thread.)

My husband had things removed also. We had a TSA lock on the suitcase. My father has had things removed, and when questioning the airline, he was told to call the airport to see if TSA removed them and didn't put them back. I called the airport, and nothing.

I know things have gone missing at other airports, but to me San Juan has a higher rate than the other airports we have traversed. I know my luggage has been searched by TSA. I have seen them do it, but never have I had a note/ticket saying that TSA searched my luggage.

Katie

You are most certainly ALLOWED to lock your luggage it just has to be with TSA approved locks which are available at Walmart, target, staples, officemax, etc. They are the biggest deterent.

Sue

Locked or Not. Things will sometimes come up missing. There is always a way and sometimes a dishonest worker.

This type of thing is much more common than most people realize. There are no locks that will stop airport employees, all that they are good for is keeping your bags from springing open.

This is why people are cautioned not to check anything of value, and yes you can still carry on all of your valuables (cameras, CD players, meds, jewlery, etc.) unless they are liquid.

I buy regular keyed locks--they're not TSA approved. Never had any cut off, never had anything taken from our bags! If TSA wants to inspect the luggage and they do cut off one of the locks, I'm out maybe $3.00. Worth it, to me!

The TSA-keyed locks are about $3-$4 also.

I buy regular keyed locks--they're not TSA approved. Never had any cut off, never had anything taken from our bags! If TSA wants to inspect the luggage and they do cut off one of the locks, I'm out maybe $3.00. Worth it, to me!

About a year ago someone at the place where I work was complaining very loudly that their bag had been damaged by some TSA person who had cut off their non-TSA padlock and damaged the bag's zipper in the process. I don't know if that person was able to repair their bag or had to get a new one. They didn't get much sympathy from me. I'm assuming the TSA inspector got "torqued off" by the padlock and made no effort to "safely" cut off the lock.

Mark

Travelers are allowed to lock their luggage, if they use TSA approved locks. These locks are clearly marked with a TSA insignia so they can be identified by the TSA inspector. I have locked our bags on the last two cruises; yes one or more were opened by TSA, and the lock was replaced following inspection. How do I know? Because TSA put a foil sticker on my luggage tag and left a "bookmark" note inside the bag.

The foil sticker is for explosives (swipe or scan) testing. The bookmark is for physical a bag search. We just used TSA locks on our recent cruise without incident. Of course it can happen anywhere, but thanks for posting about San Juan.:)

There was an inspection note in the bag.

We know a cable tie doesn't "secure" the bag, since anyone can cut it off, but we've never come up with anything missing, either, and 9 time out of 10, we're not inspected - its our original cable tie in place when we get the bag back. We use neon colored ties, so we know they're ours.

Jodi

The last time I flew, my checked bag had obviously been gone through..most likely by TSA, but in this case, the inspection note wasn't put in. Nothing was missing, at least that I could remember, but it was interesting to me that the note wasn't there.

It seems I have a high probability of getting the TSA inspection with my checked bags because I find the note in one of my bags nearly every time I fly. It probably doesn't help that I am nearly always carrying some type of scrapbooking paraphernalia with me which probably shows up as an unidentifiable risky looking object. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else get checked this much? Am I just lucky? ;)

A TSA lock would have been much more of a deterrent than a piece of plastic. I could never understand why some think fastening plastic ties secures their bag. The thief most likely would have moved on to an easier target. Sorry you learned the hard way.

I always use cable ties to secure my zipper pull tabs together. If someone wants to go through the bag, they're going to do it whether they are cutting a lock or a plastic tab.

My reasoning for using the cable ties has never been for SECURITY but rather to keep the zippers from UNZIPPING! :eek:

I didn't know about the TSA locks. I'm going to get some for our Jan. cruise. I know they are not fool-proof, but if anyone wants to get into a bag badly enough it can be done and at least this would be some deterrent.

We have been inspected a couple of times, but things weren't in a mess and there was a note inside.

We never lock our bags until we land at the port. Simply put I would rather have them not destroy my luggage to get in.

Locks can be cut.

Ties can be cut but if you put a tie on your bag and you can not carry a knife or scissors in your carry on..How do you get the tie off?

But we do lock our bags once we get to the hotel or before we turn our bags over to porters.

Nearly everytime we fly we have another book marker in the bag from TSA.

I am lucky nothing has ever been missing. And the only thing that was added to my luggage was FRESH YELLOW paint from some newly painted surface. Made it easier to locate.

If someone wants to get in they will and I have even had luggage delayed and it was perfectly fine when the airline shipped it the next day.

Archived